NickelodeonRacist commercial

P Oct 04, 2021

to whom it may concern,

I think the programs for children 3-5yrs of age are extremely educational. My daughter constantly sings songs from blaze and the monster machines and team umizoomi, and has amazed me with her ability to remember the names of shapes, and words and their meanings. However most recently I have been extremely disappointed in the commercials that my 3 year old is watching in between these programs on your channel.

As I'm sure you are aware, children of a young age do not see color as an issue, in fact they don't even notice it in other children. They are color blind to people and just see an opportunity to have friends.

I am a Caucasian woman who has black family, a sister in-law and nieces and nephews, not that I should have to explain my color in any case. The commercial narrated by Alicia keys ‘shine bright my black sunshine' in my opinion is EXTREMELY racist and not only that, it is teaching my children that color makes us different. It doesn't! And what gives nick jr the right to teach my children any different.

I stopped watching Disney when they kept playing the Black Lives Matter commercial multiple times a day and Nickelodeon is doing the very same thing with this commercial. I'm just wondering  what channels are safe for my children to watch without being taught something that is racist or will cause them to have a poorly influenced opinion on something too early, OR EVEN, make them feel inferior to anyone of color, not just black. In our home we teach that all people are equal. Shouldn't you be doing the same?

The world as we know it is changing and with influences from channels like yourself, you can influence for better or worse. We should be filling out children with positivity and good influences, showing them different people of color being playing happily together, not promoting anyone color above another.

I am interested on your perspective on this issue and I'm wondering how many other parents feel the need to stand up for what they believe to be wrong and a poor influence on their children. If this was a ‘shine bright my white sunshine' I wonder if nick jr would feel as impressed to play it?Would that be seen to be racist? Why is this ok because it says black?

I await your response on this issue.

Kindest regards