National City Mortgagetrying to foreclose on us/we haven't missed a payment!

Our problems with national city mortgage began in the fall of 2007. We had been having some serious financial problems and lapsed on our homeowners insurance for a short period of time that consisted of only 3 months. Being that national city likes to use forced placed insurance as a form of "punishment" they attached their overpriced and unverified form of insurance on our loan in the additional amount of $800.00 per month!!! Our payment was at that time $665.00 so that made the total amount due each month around $1400.00. Now we did not know nor understand at that time that ncm would not accept partial payments and we continued to pay our normal monthly payment and then pay what we could to pay down the amount of the forced placed insurance they tacked on to our account for those 3 months. That's when all of our problems really began with this company. After several months of assuming that everything was ok, we receive a letter in the mail from national city with all of the payments from the last 6 months in them with the letter stating that not only are they not accepting our "partial" payments they are placing our home loan in foreclosure due to us making these so-called "partial payments". Now mind you in that 6 month period of time they never called us, never notified us that they did not accept partial payments, nothing. They classified the payments as "partial" because we did not pay the lump sum for those 3 months they tacked on the forced place insurance. Now we are in the full throws of foreclosure and are being sued and taken to court. We obtain and attorney and for several months, we haggle and negotiate a "forbearance agreement" needless to say out attorney didn't do a good job in defending our interests and we ended up getting screwed in this agreement. We had to pay a total of $1250.00 for a period from november 2008 to april 2009. Which is where we are now. We have paid all of these payments without fail not missing one payment. We have struggled to pay that high payment but we have managed to squeak by. Then on october 2, 2009 out of the blue, we receive another letter from ncm stating that yet again they are activating the "active foreclosure" status on our loan. Needless to say we are totally freaked out as we knew we had not missed one single payment. We decided that we needed to have assistance with speaking with these rep. S at ncm as we cannot ever get a straight answer from them. We had a hope now counselor on a 3-way call with ncm and we spent a total of 3 hours on the phone with 5 different people in 3 different departments to try to get to the bottom of this letter we received. We were told that we had been one day late with a payment in july 2009 and due to that they were reinstating the active foreclosure status on the loan! We literally about fell off of our chairs! One day late supposedly with a payment! We remembered that back in july of 2009 my husband spoke with a loss mitigation rep., named ms. Robin green regarding some issues we had with payments and such and this rep. Had given us permission to pay our payments on a bi-monthly basis as my husband had been laid of from one of the big 3 automakers
During the restructuring and eventual bankruptcy of the company. At that time we were bringing home half of our normal monthly income and to be able to pay the payment when we were paid made it somewhat easier for us to handle. Permission was given by the ncm rep. Ms. Robin green and she then offered (this is key, her offering) to change the payment due date to the end of the month to make sure that while we were paying biweekly through the month the total payments would be in by that date. We have since found out that it was during this conversation that all of the problems came. The same ms. Robin green is the one that sent our loan back to active foreclosure status and she did so during the that conversation. Even though she had stated that she could have sent our loan at that time to active status but wouldn't and then she is the one who then changed our due date, she is the one who now says she never said that nor offered to change the date. It is clearly evident by our payment history that coincides directly at the same time we had the conversation with ms. Robin green.

After all of the shock of everything subsided, I then began a plan of assault. I started contacting any and all persons who I felt could help me. State representatives, senators, local and national media including radio, tv and newspapers. I even have tried to make contact with oprah and dr. Phil. I am incensed at the fact that this mortgage company has had no intention of ever trying to help any homeowners keep their home. They only have one motive and that is to make the most money off of your property. National city would stand to make a healthy 100% profit off of our home as we only had a few more years to pay on it and it is worth 2 times what we owe. I was not going to allow them to take our home after we worked so hard to do everything by the book.

I was told by the loss mitigation rep. That we had to resubmit a workout package to see if we could possibly be re-approved for yet another forbearance package. I then began collecting all the documents they needed again and sent them out on wednesday, october 7th, 2009. Now mind you it usually takes them weeks if not months to put a a package together and to resubmit all the paperwork. How ironic after making contact with all of the legislators, media etc. That on friday october 9th, 2009 when I called to confirm that they had received all of the paperwork I had sent that I was then informed that national city mortgage had not only received that paperwork they had already re-figured the loan forbearance and sent the papers for our review and signature in the mail! Something is not sounding right here and I think they know they are in the wrong for what they did to us. The committed emotional terrorism with us. They were laying in wait for any reason whatsoever to pounce on our loan to wither take the house or to obtain more fees by recalculating the agreement. I was told over the phone that indeed they are charging another $8000.00 in fees for being allegedly one day late on a payment! We have not signed any papers and are having our lawyer look into the whole situation for us and I am still following up with the state reps. And senators to see what they can do. This mortgage company needs to be held accountable for what they are doing to its loan-holders and they need reprimanded severely for it. They should not be allowed to get away with what they are and have been doing. If it has happened to us I know it has and will happen to others. I will post a follow up to let everyone know what has happened. We need to look at filing a class action suit against this company for fraudulent lending practices. Good luck to all.

• Kn
    knowledge18 Apr 11, 2010

Have you since had any resolution? Did you not qualify for a modification? What' you're describing sounds like a repayment plan and typically the only reason you're ever set on one is because you didn't qualify for a modification... most investors require the modification be evaluated first. Is your husband still unemployed? If so that could be why you didn't qualify for a modification.

I know what you mean about the layoff. My fiance was affected by the same shut down and our lives have been turned upside down since.

Don't speak with a collections or customer service representative, get in touch with a Loss Mitigation specialist in the Loss Mitigation department at the company... even ask to speak with your negotiator. Hopefully they'll be able to answer some of your concerns. Find out who your investor is and then do some research.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles... I wish you and your husband the best of luck.