National Action Financial ServicesFraud and cheating

D

This company is in blatant violation of the Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. The first time I received a call from this company was on April 8, 2009 from a gentleman named Len Seiner, who left a voicemail with his phone number but no company name. He failed to state that he was from a collections agency, which is a violation of Federal regulation.

In his second call on April 10, 2009, he finally admitted he was from a collections agency, but his credibility was already shot. I called him back on the same day, stating that all further correspondence will be via mail and that we will never speak again. Today, April 13, 2009, I got a call from a Robert Farence from the same company, which is in blatant violation against my wishes and against Federal Regulations. They have been reported to the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs for harassment. And I want this incident to be known so that others may be prepared.

• Bi
    Bill37 Jun 19, 2010

I just filed a report with the FTC concerning this same company after receiving a call from a Desoray from this company. While the message was not necessarily considered a violation of federal law, she stated "you're very well aware of what we're calling in regards too". I actually had no clue what they were calling about and no clue who they were. Upon returning the phone call, got a representative and a supervisor on the line who not only did not REQUIRE me to give to them my date of birth and last 4 digits of SSN, but VOLUNTEERED them to me. Then we got into a huge argument over how their "confirmation" process works (or more importantly doesn't). I was told it was their "company policy" to do this this way. Desoray eventually got on the phone in an apparent and vain attempt to intimidate me with "Mr. Clark, this is Desoray" and I immediately conveyed to her respectfully that her message was completely unnecessary. She asked what she could do about it and KNOWING it wasn't going to happen but to humor myself, I said "I want an apology". The reply was "That's just not gonna happen" at which point I replied that I wasn't surprised. A lot of these companies deal with people daily who blow them off for whatever reason and these companies use this as an excuse to stereotype and treat the REST of their consumers like crap. Today I called NFAS back to inform them that I had filed a complaint against their company (cause I'm just that kind of guy) and spoke with a Ms. Maloy, who ironically enough I spoke with the previous day and we actually joked and she admitted in the call (yesterday) that their representative and supervisor was wrong for volunteering my info over the phone instead of requiring it as she had done. The funny thing about this is during today's conversation she could remember EVERY detail about our phone call EXCEPT me telling her what her representative and supervisor had done and then pawned it off with a very vain disclaimer of how she speaks to oh sooo many people each day and can't possibly remember every phone call and YET she remembered and told ME every detail of the previous days phone call. When cornered about it, she became very evasive while trying to maintain professionalism. If you want to try to alleviate this problem, go on line and there are a list of states listed that are 1 party states (12 of them to be exact and NY is one of them). The rest are 2 party states. What this means is (for 1 party states) that to record a phone call with a 1 party state is that ONLY one party has to consent to the recording. Look it up on line if you have any questions. You can ALSO request a small yellow book that I have in my possession. It's the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you can even download it online which is where I got the one on my hard drive. Collection agencies HATE it when you start quoting from these books. The book is NOT very big and can save headaches down the road, know what your rights are!! Document everything and I encourage you to record phone calls legally so they may be used against these companies. If the company refuses to "authorize" the call to be recorded, I simply ask, "Then what are you hiding. If you're doing your job right, then you've got nothing to worry about especially considering the call is recorded on your end too." The only thing is they can get rid of the records on their end, they can't get rid of yours. I've told these companies about the FDCPA and Ms. Maloy went as far as to inform me they have it plastered everywhere. I asked her then if they're so informed about the FDCPA, why aren't they obeying it?? Logical question to me. I'm not an attorney, but like some of you, have dealt with companies like this before and there are resources available out there on the internet as well as federal agencies you can use to file appropriate complaints. Hope this helped someone out. I'm not a disgruntled consumer, I'm a consumer that knows their rights better than these collection agencies think I do and I'm one of MANY consumers this agency does NOT want to cross the wrong way again as there are numerous legal consequences that can and will follow. NFAS wants to play, I've got all day to play, but they better bring a heavy bat!!!

• La
    lauryn Jan 29, 2010

have they ever just appeared at anyone's family's house searching for information on you?! they went to my mother in laws house looking for me under my maiden name last night!! i was in utter disbelief when my mom told me this morning that the guy came around 10-1030 pm looking for me. and they didn't even use the full collection agencies name, they merely stated action services...they have never contacted me before this, let alone show up at my prior addresses!

nodramain09 Aug 07, 2009

oh and as for where to report this harrassment to : Report it to the State ATtorney General for the state that the collection agency is located in and also the Better business bureau.

oh and the FTC.

nodramain09 Aug 07, 2009

First mistake: answering the call. Do not speak with these people again. Send them a letter stating they are to cease all contact with you and and if they don't you will file a lawsuit. Problem solved. That was easy wasn't it?
    If you do owe anything you should pay it but contact the orginal creditor and arrange to pay either directly to them or through them. Trust me there are many horror stories on here about people who paid to the collection agencies and have nothing to show for it because the agencies records of payments mysteriously disapeared or was wiped out or whatever B.S stories they feed people.
    For that reason and many other personal reasons I will never deal with a collection agency. My credit is squeaky clean although it hasn't always been. but I have not and will not ever deal with any collection agency. If and when I have ever owed any money to any creditor in the past. I have always gone directly to the original creditor and paid through them.

• Ni
    nicecollector May 28, 2009

ok so your wondering how your # is attached... well there are skip tracing agencies all around the country that are outsourced to with the sole purpose of finding #s on accounts .. they use paid databases like detectives and police use.. these agencies pay min wage... so you do the math... someone just quick looked at the last address of the debtor and saw whatever # was attached and threw it in there.. collectors had nothing to do with it... we call relatives ... what good would it do to intentionally call people with no knowledge of the person were looking for???

• Ca
    cathi-a Apr 16, 2009

I too have gotten several calls from this company (Division of Robert Farence) that were recorded on my answering machine. On the messages they do divulge that they are a collections agency but they do not state who they are trying to contact. When I called them back, I discovered that they were attempting to contact a person that I bought a house from 3 years ago. What is even more disturbing about all of this is that I do not live in that property and the number where they were calling me is my personal residence in another state! When I tried to explain to their agent how I was connected to their intended recipient, they tried to blow me off by insisting it was just a wrong number and they hung up on me!

Naturally I called back immediately and went through the same process of trying to explain my circumstances to another collector with this firm. They, too, continued to insist that it was just a wrong number. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The so called supervisor named "Robert" tried to tell me again that it was just a wrong number and that their firm had done nothing wrong. He refused to let me speak to his superior and hung up on me even after I had told him repeatedly that there was no way that this was just a wrong number as the only way they could have gotten my phone number was through my name being associated with the address of the property I purchased from their "mark".

Well, I will have you know that my personal privacy has been violated. Someone has done enough research to locate my personal phone number under my personal name at a totally different address in an entirely different state from the previous address belonging to the person whom they were trying to get in touch with.

My whole intention in calling this firm the second time was not just to have my phone number removed from their data bank - which they say they have done - it was also to try to find out how this could happen so I could prevent it from happening again in the future. I even explained this to "Supervisor Robert" who refused to understand or even help me! He told me that there was no way that I could prevent it and that I was going to have to deal with each occurrence on a case by case basis. That is atotally unacceptable answer to someone who has had their privacy violated by their firm!

At the moment I'm searching the internet trying to find out who I can report this to and what I can do to stop this sort of privacy violation from happening again. If anyone has any helpful information, please post a response. I will be contacting my phone company but I feel that there should be a government agency where this type of intrusion can be reported to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Valerie Jul 10, 2008

I owe them $800...for Chase! They say that if I don't pay them right now, they will take me to court and pin the lawyer’s fees on me, making my bill go from $800 to $3, 000. I only had $400 on the card, the rest is from Credit collector fees! :( I don't have $800 right now because I need to get my car fixed before inspection and it could be $1, 000! What should I do? I'm so confused and stressed out. They leave rude messages on my phone, cell and home, and I can't take it anymore.