Merry MaidsNever again I will use this company

I live in the Baltimore area now and am a breast cancer survivor... twice in 9 years. I should also note that I cleaned houses as an independent contractor for many years. I can no longer do normal house cleaning due to the residuals of chemotherapy after radical mastectomy and lymph nodes removal. My surgeon's staff select recipients and then they contract Merry Maids for (6) 1-hour cleanings as a service to people in my condition. I was grateful to be on the receiving end of a service that I once did. The "maids" who came were nice enough but they will not lift a hand to move one item (no matter how lightweight) to thoroughly clean a room. They just quickly dust and push a mop around things. Never asked them to move heavy furniture, but they wouldn't even move a tray table to clean under it or shoes at the edge of a bed. I ran a mop on the kitchen floor after they left and it was filthy. I would have been fired from every job I did on the first day if I "cleaned" like Merry Maids. Perhaps, the company provides no training and just hire anybody that can tolerate menial labor. We will go back to small independents for satisfactory cleaning. I just feel badly that donations are raised to provide a service for the physically challenged and these funds are wasted on Merry Maids.

• Mo
    Mortimer Mar 02, 2010

I had a party this weekend and made an appointment for them to clean my house on Saturday. They called on Friday to cancel saying they had an emergency. Was the emergency that they didn't feel like working? This is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional STAY AWAY!

• Su
    Sukarove May 21, 2010

This "cleaning" service is a joke. The products they use are water and a cloth. Vacuum cleaner was a backpack that did not pick up hardly anything. Person was lazy, a liar, and slow. Do not waste your money.

• Nk
    nkk22 Dec 17, 2010

merry maids overcharges people for their sloppy work

• To
    toocoolrn Aug 25, 2011

Had Merry Maids come out. Initial cleaning was ok but was overcharged . Second visit, team showed up unexpected no appointment arranged. This time cleaning was horrible, were in my home less than an hour. Also over charged for this visit by 30.00. When i called to complain I was told that I would get a call back. Its been a month no call back no reschedule. Horrible customer service. I would not recommend this company.

MJ Angley Nov 29, 2011

Maria is a charming, likeable woman who even made friends with my fussy female feliines. However, her work was just adequate, a C at best. She did a decent job in the bathroom, her dusting was so-so, her work with vacuum okay, her kitchen cleaning adequate. I am not unhappy, but am disappointed. For $120 my small four rooms should be shining, and they aren't. I would like a half-refund ($60). I will not use your service again, nor will I recommend it to other ladies at the Oaks. All these apartments are about the size of mine, some with two bedrooms. I am in a wheelchair or would not need housecleaning services. The money is a tremendous amount for me to pay, I am nearly 80, and some actions simply are no longer possible. I paid for two hours, got a sketchy job. As I said, I can't really complain, but I for sure will not recommend you or use you again.

MJ Angley Nov 29, 2011

The service is worth half the price, if that. Even in a wheelchair I could do as well. For $120, the small four-room apartment should be shining. It isn't. I request a half-refund. I do not want another person coming, although you are welcome to visit and see for yourself what I am referring to. I doubt I will recommend you to the other older ladies in this retirement home. All the apartments are small, but they need the two hours' dedicated work. I don't have a lot of stuff sitting out, most of my beloved things are packed away as this place is so small, so there really is no excuse for a so-so job.

MJ Angley Nov 29, 2011

Merry Maid sent a pleasant woman with so-so performance. For the money, this small apartment should be shining. It isn't. I am really disappointed as I can no longer clean for myself, I'm in a wheelchair, and I could not honestly afford this amount of money. For the sub-average service, half the price would be more appropriate. I would like a half-refund.

sarajune61 Jan 22, 2014

I thought I was getting the mop around spinning mop without the foot pedal. That was what I thought I ordered. None have been used. Just mistaken identity of the mop.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices