Menardsterrible lumber quality

M

If you're looking to save a few bucks buying lumber for your deck project from Menards, DON'T DO IT!!! You'll pay more later when you need to replace it all with quality lumber. I built a set of arbors and handrails last spring for my back deck using Menards lumber, and treated it all using the same stain I use for the rest of my decking. One year later, all of the deck boards used on the tops of the handrails have shrunk and twisted and all need to be replaced. One 4 foot deck board shrunk almost 2 inches. Two of the 4*4 support posts have bowed and cracked and now my arbor is crooked. Many of the 2*2 railing balusters are splitting.

I pay a little more going to my local small town lumberyard, but I've never had any issues with their lumber. Most of the lumber from the original arbors needs to be replaced already one year later, and I'll be getting it from my local lumberyard. I will NEVER purchase lumber from Menards ever again! You get what you pay for.

• Cl
    cl678 Jul 04, 2010

The Menards in Elk River, MN has the RUDEST employees of any store I have been in..repeatedly! They also do not stand by their products. I mostly shop Lowes and Home Depot. Menards does not help you and if you ask for help you get snide looks and [censor] service. I've lived in Elk River for 11 years. Trust me..they only want the money..they don't care about their customers!

• Je
    Jeff Reickert Mar 02, 2010

Everything not a known brand name at Menards is usually crap. I don't know why I can't seem to remember all the hard lessons learned from their crap since I seem to go back occasionally for a reminder. They do sell groceries now, how great is that?