Medco PharmacyVery difficult company to deal with!

I have talked to them 12-15 times faxed them RX from doctors office 3 times talked to a supervisor 3 times at [protected] ext 2958 and I am a diabetic who still cant get his prescription filled by this company correctly it has a very bad customer service they wont even call the doctor to see if the RX is correct.

Someone is going to get hurt by this company very soon. It's a very difficult company to deal with and has no customer service that acts promptly.

• Cl
    Clarice Gates Jan 25, 2007

Not only is Medco the worst at switching prescriptions, their customer service department is horrible! Every time you call you get some over talking, non-professional know it all that refuses to listen to your problem. On a previous call to them, I was advised by a Supervisor, Evelyn Music that I would be credited for sending back some medication. Now I am told by Shawnee (like the Indian)in the RESOLUTION DEPARTMENT that whenever you send medication back, you will be billed and the medication destroyed (if you can believe that). I tried to explain that's not what I was told. It is not posted any where on the website either. I asked for a Supervisor, I was told that it took 48 hours in order for a Supervisor to call me back. Then I was told that she could TRY to page a Supervisor which would take about 15 minutes. This is just another example of a company who CARES nothing about customer service, honoring their word or integrity. So what did I spend 45 minutes on the phone talking to Shawnee in the RESOLUTION DEPARTMENT for? Nothing was been resolved and I still have been billed!!!

• Li
    Linda Boirders Mar 20, 2007

I guess we have been lucky because my husband and myself have used them at least 4 years without a problem. In fact we have had excellent service. Between the two of us we receive 7-8 prescriptions every 3 months.

Once when a refill was delivered to the wrong address the person called Medco to tell them about receiving it in error. The pharmacist called to tell us and to make sure my husband had enough medication to last while they sent it out again via FEDEX. They have called other times about payment methods and have always been polite and helpful.

• Se
    Sean Apr 17, 2007

I called Medco mail order and asked them how much my Prevacid would be for a 3 months supply. The lady on the phone told me $75. I gave her my credit card to put on file for processing; not thinking it would be a bad thing.

My doctor calls in my prescription to Medco and a few days later I receive the Prevacid in the mail. I open it up to only find half an order. I call Medco’s customer service at once to ask why I was sent 90 pills when my prescription clearly states “1 tablet 2 times daily” and that I should get 180 pills.

Customer service says that is all my insurance would cover. I tell them the Target Pharmacy has not had a problem filling 60 pills a month for the last 6 months. I asked them why they filled half the order and charged me full price. I asked them why someone at Medco didn’t call me or the doctor first. They did not have an answer. I tell them I want to just return the order. Customer service says they do not accept returns. I tell them to just to credit me half of the money. Customer service said they feel like only crediting me $25. I said ok, how about just crediting me back $30 which would put me in the same place, had I got it filled at Target Pharmacy. Customer service said they could only credit $25. They said it is still a valid order because they fill 30 day and 60 day supplies as well. I told the Medco customer service they were committing fraud and I will just look into disputing the credit card charge.

After this incident, I Googled Medco and found all sorts of fraud they have been involved in. Be very cautious when dealing with Medco. They lie and they steal. They are very, very, very biased because they have ties with Merck.

Sean
    Dallas, TX

Betty Moses May 24, 2007

I disagree. I feel it is my responsibility to know what my health and prescription benefits are. If there are limitations to any of my medications my doctor is usually aware and tells me. ie: controlled meds. Otherwise I just call or go on line to price my medication before I have them filled. I usually just mail my scripts in because I understand that the doctors are busy and I want to be sure I have a copy for my records. I have used them for 7 years and only once had I had a lost order. They gave my a 7 day supply for free at the local pharmacy while they expedited a second order. I believe it depends on your tone when you speak to customer service on how the outcome will be. Overall I think they are a good company.

• Wa
    Wade Denman Dec 08, 2007

Medco is the absolute worst! Look up incompetence in the dictionary, and it should say Medco. Whenever you call about something they messed up, (often), someone answers the call who knows next to nothing about the order. They put you on hold, so they can go ask a supervisor. The typical hold time is 20 minutes. They then come back, with a possible answer. If you ask them something else about it, they put you on hold for another 20 minutes while they go ask them again. My last call had me on hold for an hour and 20 minutes, and when they came back, they didn't have an answer to my question. They told me what I had known before I called. We called in an order on a Thursday, told them we needed it by next Wednesday,and were told we would be contacted with a delivery confirmation date. Nobody called, and it's Tuesday. I called then to ask what's up, and they said they couldn't find the order, but that she would walk this order through right now to be sure it gets going, and that she would call me back before the end of the day with a delivery confirmation date. Nobody called, again. I called them back the next day, Wednesday, and they said that there was nothing set up yet, but that she would call me back before the end of the day. I said, right, just like yesterday. Nobody called. Said the line was busy. I called them back Thursday, was put on hold for an hour and 20 minutes, and they had no delivery confirmation date. I could not call our doctor now, because they had me on hold so long, the office was closed. The next day, Friday, I talked with our doctors nurse, who called Medco to explain the importance of the timely delivery of this, and that it had to be here now. Medco said they would try to get it overnight delivered. So here it is Saturday, we are waiting for the delivery, and guess who calls??!! Medco! And they want to set up the delivery date for Tuesday.

I'm a mellow type of guy, who rarely gets his feathers ruffled, but when it comes to Medco, I get so upset, it takes many hours before my blood pressure drops to a normal level. Nearly every time I have to talk to those incompetent people at Medco, I get so angry I could just scream!! They are the absolute worst. If I wasn't forced to use this company by my employer, I would have dropped them a long time ago. The WORST!!!

My blood pressure has actually dropped a bit just from venting here, and I would encourage anyone looking for a mail order pharmacy to look up Jd Power's 2007 Retail Pharmacy Satisfaction Study, Mail Order, to see where Medco stands. I think I would rather use Caremark. They are an award recipient.

• Cr
    Cristy Pacheco Jan 10, 2008

I hate this company!!! I would never recommend them to anyone. This company does not take resposiblity for thier screw ups. Their customer service dept. is the worst!!!

• Mi
    Minde Malcomson Feb 03, 2008

My husbands employer forces us to use MEDCO and I work for the physician who prescribed the rx in question. On the fax order form there is 2 lines at the bottom: The lines indicate whether or not you should recieve generic or brand name. The doctor has 100's of charts to sign and go through on a daily basis and multiple forms from different componaies and not one form is the same. My doctor accidently signed the line that indicates DISPENSE AS WRITTEN. So when my daughter went to the local pharmacy to pick up a month supply to use while we waited on the mail in order, the pharmacist statd that my insurance would not honor the 10.00 co-pay since there was a mail order pending. I called MEDCO to see what was going on since normal procedure is to allow a patient a 2 week supply of prescription from local pharmacy until the mail in comes. I was told that since this medication is packaged in a month supply and can not be seperated that I would be required to pay full price and then request a form and ask for a credit. While on the phone with them I thought I would ask the amount that I was to pay for the 3 month supply, since I have had alot of trouble with them in the past regarding money. They told me that I was billed for 80.00 dollars and I about flipped!!!! The amount that we have been paying at the local pharmacy in the past was 10.00 dollars for generic. The increase in price is due to the mistake that the doctor made when he signed on the wrong line. I spoke with Mrs. Hodges and she said all she could do was credit me 25.00 dollars to help, but that she was not obligated to do so since this clearly was not their mistake. If it had been their mistake then she could do more. When I stated that we had not even recieved this medication yet and asked if it could be returned to sender unopened and I could send a new request for generic on Monday she stated that it did not matter that we had not recieved the shipment yet that we were allready billed for the medication and we had to pay. She also told me to get my physician to pay the difference since this was his mistake. I work for this physician and this has happened with Express Scripts in the recent past and Express Scripts accepted the medication and shipped out the correct medication without hesitation and were very nice. This helped save an elderly woman alot of money. Why is MEDCO so hard to deal with and who regulates them? Is there a law that states they are required to destroy any medication returned to them that has never been opened? And am I responsible for paying 80.00 for a 20.00 prescription that I have never recieved yet?

Very AGGRIVATED

Jocey May 02, 2008

Medco handles millions of rx's throughout the year. They don't have time to second guess and verify each rx that has "DAW" on it. They hope that you doctor and doctor's staff is concerned enough with their patients well being, to make sure prescriptions are written correctly. Since you work in the doctors office maybe you can help make a difference and take a proactive approach to double checking the rx's before they leave your facility for accuracy. And yes, once a medication has left the pharmacy (in the mail, or out the door) by law it can not be dispensed to anyone else. In that case if med is returned by sender, even if package has not been opened, it must be destroyed. If it is destroyed, someone is out money, and if it wasn't Medco error, why should they eat the cost for the doctor? Doctors and PATIENTS need to take responsibility for what they are writing and sending in to be filled through the mail services.

Jennifer May 23, 2008

I HATE Medco. I have always had problems with them. However as a college student I get this insurance through my dad and his work and I don't really have a choice to just pay with someone else. So many times this company has tried to refuse me my medication and try to put me on a generic form of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT medication than what my doctor prescribed. The worst yet is after being diagnosed with narcolepsy, and being put on ritalin by my sleep doctor, it's a huge song and dance every month with this worthless company to try and get my pills. I've even been told by their disgusting excuse for customer service reps that narcolepsy isn't a real disorder! It shouldn't be any of their damn business what I'm on, their job is to shut up and fill it and not question what my doctor thinks I should be on. THAT decision is for my doctor to make and NOT them!

• Fr
    FREAKINGMAD Oct 06, 2008

MEDCO IS NOT THE ONLY MAIL ORDER PHARMACY THAT IS RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE TO THEIR PAYING CUSTOMERS AND WE AS CONSUMERS SHOULDN'T TOLERATE THE BELITTLEMENT THAT WE RECEIVE FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS AT THESE PLACES. WE PAY FOR A SERVICE AND WE DON'T GET IT. WE GET AN APOLOGY FOR THEIR MISTAKES AND MISCONDUCT. AN APOLOGY IS NOT WORTH CRAP WHEN I AM PAYING HIGH PREMIUMS ON MY INSURANCE AND AM FORCED TO USE A MAIL ORDER PHARMACY THAT CANNOT EVEN READ A PRESCRIPTION AND THEN TELL ME ITS MY FAULT. THEN, THEY COULDN'T EVEN TELL ME THE DATE IN WHICH MY, PRIORITY EXPRESS, PRESCRIPTION WILL ARRIVE AT MY HOME. MAYBE IF I WASN'T HOME THE KID NEXT DOOR WILL GET MY MEDS AND SELL THEM TO THE OTHER KID DOWN THE BLOCK. THAT WOULD BE GOOD, TOO. THEY DON'T EVER ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AND HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE WHEN ASKED IF YOU COULD HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR POLICY. ANSWER: YES, I UNDERSTAND. WELL, APPARENTLY NOT OR SOMEONE IN THIS STUPID COMPANY WOULD CHANGE THEIR POLICIES AND BE MORE PRO ACTIVE IN RESOLVING CUSTOMER ISSUES AND NOT JUST WITH THIS INSURANCE KICKBACK PHARMACY BUT, ALL, INSURANCE BASED PHARMACIES. DO AWAY WITH MAIL ORDER PHARMACIES. ALL THEY ARE, IS A PROBLEM.

• Ti
    Ticked Off Feb 23, 2009

Medco has a racket going where their online system will show you the beginning and end dates for your prescription and number of refills remaining. But it does NOT show the beginning end end dates for their "re-approval" for the prescription, and the dates are NOT the same!!! They used this to reject my refill near the end of 2008 and push it into 2009 ("we have to renew our pre-authorization" ) so I would have to pay a higher co-pay.

This is utter incompetence to not have the pre-approval dates cover the prescription valid dates.

• Se
    serfergirl Feb 26, 2009

BAIT AND SWITCH - ??

I agree with, and have shared similar negative experiences with most of the commenters here. However, I wanted to point out that the perception of some who feel that these problems are due to incompetence are sadly misguided. Considering the laws of probability, one must conclude that these incidences are NO ACCIDENT. They represent a conscious and deliberate effort by Medco to [unethically] maximize profits at the expense of the consumer. Not to repeat the experiences I've shared with others on this board, I wanted to add yet another type of problem I recently experienced with them.

In the past, my doctor had prescribed for me an albuterol inhaler for asthma (Proventil), which was covered under Medco's plan in 2008 when I ordered my last refill. After my recent doctor's visit, I checked Medco's web site to confirm that the new Rx for Proventil would still be covered -- and learned that it was. Because I was not yet out of the medicine, I waited about a month before mailing the new Rx to Medco. Surprise, surprise! I checked my bank account yesterday and was horrified to see the amount Medco had charged me for this new Rx! Apparently, they had recently decided NOT TO COVER the Proventil and switched to only covering Maxair Autohaler, instead. Presumably, it is possible to confirm coverage of any particular Rx one day, mail in the Rx to Medco the next day, and find that the status of coverage for that Rx has literally changed overnight. What is this -- VEGAS?? MEDCO, STOP GAMBLING WITH OUR HEALTH!!!

• Oc
    oceanmom Mar 01, 2009

Just want to thank everyone for all the Medco stories of experience. I've had them as a 'Prescription Discount Program' on my card for several months and have yet to try them. That is mostly because, if I fill a RX for 3 month supply as my doctor writes it, most insurance companies charge a 'copay' of $15 per 30-day supply...and if 90 days of meds is less than $45, it doesn't make sense to bother! Now I have new information that keeps me from even TRYING Medco!! What a gem of a rip-off by our health insurance company. It's all so exaspirating!

• Fl
    flatworld21 Mar 01, 2009

I agree with all the negative comments listed here and it is plain to see that the positive comments are from medco emplyees or shills. The comments from the shills just inflame people so they should stay out of here.

Did you know that it is an FTC regulation that when you call a business and you are talking to someone not stateside that you can request for no reason that you speak with a customer service person int the United States. Medco uses a call center in the Philipenes.

This company is the worst. I use mail order and there is always broken pills. They know the pills are broken. Try and get a refund for the broken pills. They will also not fill if you are even 12 hours to soon. If it is 1 min after midnight on the fill day they will suggest you find a 24 hour pharmacy.

This is a very bad company and should be reported to the FDA, DEA and the FTC. If an offshore rep refuses to transfer you please let the FTC know and they will give them a big fine and shutdown the offshore operation if it keeps up. Our mail order meds probably come from an asian country. What ya wanna bet ?

Beth Mar 30, 2009

I completely agree!!! One of my meds is rated as a "speciality" medication which means I can only order it from Medco under my insurance plan. If I go to a local pharmacy they will not pay for it. It is $1800 a month. I've been fighting with Medco for almost a month and have missed 3 doses. Each time I call the person I talk to tells me something completely different that the last person. My doctor has faxed, the prescription and called it in twice. They have no record of it. Missing doses is dangerous. I finally got them to agree to let me have 1 fill at Walgreens, then they will send me the remainder via mail...if they get the prescription of course. I'll keep you posted, I don't think my fight is over.

mark13148 Dec 16, 2009

Yes, I agree Medo is the worst company. I have had many problems filling prescription with them. Now they started this new racket, every time Dr writes new prescription, they need what they call pre-authorization. That means even if Drs office has sent in rx, they want double and triple confirmation like do you really want to prescribe this? Do you really really want to prescribe this? this is their way of discouraging people not to fill their prescription. This company needs to be reported to FDA for malpractice, causing unnecessary delays and frustration and anger it causes it's customers.

bearn59 Dec 17, 2009

Medco is the Worst Company ever. Very very and most difficult company to deal with. I went to my doctor for 3 time to fill the exact prescription, and Medco still no get it to process, they never concern about client's prescription not like the local pharmacy that they will call to verify for the prescription or tell the doctor that prescription is not cover, so we can get the another brand medication or change the mediation. In a fact, they just ignore until we were so worried and started to call them. I am diabetes too that with out the medication, I am dying.
    Have they ever called the doctor? I don’t know about that, coz my specialist doctor knew that I am run out the test strips and need me to get fill right away, but medco gave me Lancets instead of test strips, which lancets only coz not even 15 dollars a box that we can bug in the local pharmacy. Even they know that lancets and test strips come together, they wont get fill for you until you ran back to your own doctor and fax the new prescription again. They try to avoid fill expensive items or delay the expensive items first.

• Jp
    jpenn Feb 01, 2010

Medco messed up the Rx that I was supposed to get and even the rep on the phone after calling back said they screwed his correction up. It's bad when the employees of Medco even state that the polices they hold are not benefiting the customer and they can not do much to help. The best way to fix this in my opinion is have the company shut down or taken over by someone who can do their job. Another benefit would be that companies have to elect a decent policy based on employee election votes not picked by them so they can save money. We had to threaten with our attny to get them to fill a prescription along with the doctor on the phone at the same time.

• Gs
    GSO FAB Feb 03, 2010

Due to changes to my Company Medical Plan (went from United Health Care to Cigna), we were "forced" to use Medco's mail order service for our long term prescription needs. Prior to this, I had been filling prescriptions for Imitrex for migraine headaches at our local CVS and at times the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. My co-pay for this medication had been $40 for a 1 month re-fill, which is 9 tablets.

Now with this new Medco Plan, I must purchase 3 months of Imitrex at a time. I submitted my first prescription to Medco on December 28th, thinking that this would probably not get processed until after the holidays, which was O.K. since the new Plan went into effect on January 1st.

Well, on Friday January15th at 7 PM in the evening I get a call from Naomi with Medco Customer Service. She called to tell me that they couldn't fill my prescription, because it exceeded the limit of 9 Tablets per month. Well ya... that's because if I can only order a 3-months supply - 3 months x's 9 pills per/month = 27 pills. Once I had spent 10 minutes explaining how 9 x 3 = 27, she seemed to grasp the concept.

But that's not the best part. I asked what my 3 month perscription was going to cost me, 'assuming' that for 3- month supply, my part would be $120. I really had no reason to think otherwise, as "Medco" was managing our Drug Plan when I was filling prescriptions locally. Boy, was I wrong.

She proceeded to tell me that Imitrex was classified as a 'non preferred' drug and that for a 3-month supply my co-pay was going to be $588.51! Needless to say, I was floored. Before you wonder why I just didn't go for the generic form of Imitrex for Migraines, I have tried the generic brand on multiple occasion's and found that it just didn't even begin to touch the severe pain associated with these headaches.

I've spoken with both my Doctor as well as several Pharmacist's about this. All stated that generic's don't work for all people and that all generics are not created the same as the name brand. It has to due with the binders and filling agents used in making pills. Well, I won't bore with all the details, but since that initial conversation I've had multiple conversations with both MedCo Customer Service Rep's as well as my Doctors office who've also been calling on my behalf. Between myself and the Doctor's office we can't even get the same story.

Today is February 3rd, and I'm no further ahead than I was on Dec 28th when I mailed in the original prescription. MedCo sucks! They are terrible to deal with, and have not honored their part as was explained to us in a benefit meeting back in October when the Company first sprung this 'new plan' on us. I'm disgusted and aggravated beyond belief.

And they wonder why people are sick and fed up with these Company's. They only care about the bottom line and how they can screw the consumer. This has been so screwed up to this point that I'm not confident as what will end up happening. If you can avoid it, never, never, never, do business with these incompetent, unethical bunch of crooks.

• Mi
    Mike Smith 1 Feb 11, 2010

This company is run by idots!!!

• Dd
    DDburz Feb 12, 2010

We should all get together and start a class action lawsuit against them...They are rude, half the time the people you talk to can hardly speak english. Very bad customer service and we are wondering if we will ever get our Meds. Plus they take the money the minute they receive the scripts..2 weeks and we are still calling every day. They tell us everything is ok. But???????????? I will never use them again. Just hope we can get our meds. One of us is diabetic and needs them. They do not care.

Andrea Fuentes Feb 27, 2010

Medco recently took over our pharmacy benefit with NHP. My son is disabled and takes several medications for a seizure disorder, which is life threatening. Every time we go for a refill, there is a problem or a change in criteria or now they need prior authorization.

For his topamax, a widely prescribed anticonvulsant, they originally told me they'd only give me 30 pills not 60. OK, why? Because your doctor is prescribing far over the recommended dosage by the manufacturer ( I was told). I was surprised since my son's neurologist is the Head of Neurology at Miami Children's and is a renowned epileptologist with journal publications, etc. So I went on line to look up the dosing ... of course the Medco rep was full of cr*p and it was exactly the proper dose for his weight of 25 kilos. Pharmacist called doctor who called Medco and got it straightened out.

So they covered it that month. Guess what? Next month, the same stuff started all over again! This time they told me he could have 37 tablets, guess that's better than 30... on and on it goes.

They are incredible with the constantly shifting "criteria" that they use. They are pushing me to sign up for the mail order but I am afraid they'll screw that up even worse.

• Wb
    WBenjamin Mar 08, 2010

Do NOT give Medco your credit card information, they will illegally bill it without your authorization. They have illegally billed my account about 6 times and the bank will take care of it but this is an issue they are notorious for. Who is in charge of their billing department? They are breaking the law and take advantage of senior citizens. Be cautious when dealing with this shady company. They are the most difficult company I've ever dealt with. Their customer service agents talk over you and apologize every other word you manage to get in. This company has the largest concentration of ###s and crooks any place in the world. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

• Ca
    Castigone Mar 11, 2010

MEDCO is a rip off of the American public, along with their primary co-hort in crime, BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD. I was layed off from my job over 20 months ago, so I was on COBRA medical Insurance (i.e., BC/BS & MEDCO). These companies were the very same companies that provided my insurance while I was employed. COBRA cost me nearly $ 500.00 a month and MEDCO started to make it difficult for me to stay on the same meds they had been supplying me with for nearly 20 years. When my COBRA ran out, the only choice available to me, because I have pre-existing conditions (who doesn't ?) was a BC/BS and MEDCO ran insurance plan that costs me $ 1, 000.00 a month for their premiums, and a $ 5, 000.00 deductible.

I am on Disability now, and receive $ 1300.00 a month. That is all the income I now have. MEDCO has consistently refused to pay, even after meeting their "generous" $ 200.00 deductible, unless they receive a "Prior Authorization" from my doctors, something they do not tell you until you pay for this BC/BS insurance. As a result, I have had to pay full price on my medications until they receive a prior authorization. This is what I am consistently being told when I go to my local CVS pharmacy to pick up my scripts.

Now, after all my doctors have completed their prior authorizations, MEDCO, informed me last night that: 1) they only have two prior authorizations on file; 2) they altered a prescription as written by my physician by cutting the number of doctor prescribed pills in half. So, instaed of receiving 30 days worth of this medication as prescribed by my doctor, I receive only 15 days worth. This inspite of my doctor sending in a prior authorization for the medication a month ago.

Further, MEDCO told me that " your policy only allows for 60 tablets to be dispensed for a 90 day period." This is another bit of information MEDCO did not inform me of either verbally or in written form. So what MEDCO is doing, via BC/BS, is ALTERING a physician's written prescription, which is illegal.

After providing MEDCO, over the telephone, of all my personal data that they required to verify who I said was, they then asked me to provide them with the fax number to this one physician. This particular physician is the one whose prescription was altered by MEDCO ! I told them that I did not have the doctor's fax number, but that they had it on other prior and recent authorizations from him.

MEDCO then had the nerve to tell me that I needed to give it to them to validate the doctor's identity ! I told them to look it up on the doctor's other prior authorizations. They said that they could not, that I had to give it to them to make sure I wasn't trying to fraud them in some way !

Both BC/BS and MEDCO are raping me and others who must pay for the fact we have pre-existing conditions. Their percent profits last year (i.e., 2009) rivaled those of both the oil and gas giants, and those bailed out Wall Street criminals who still receive obscene bonuses using U.S. taxpayers money !

These two companies, BC/BS and MEDCO should be ashamed of what they are doing to the American public, especially to those who have lost their jobs; are unable to work; and are on disability. Further, their employees, especially their so called "Customer Service" representatives, and their arrogant supervisors, should also be ashamed of what they are doing. How can these people even sleep at night knowing that their company is raping their customers, and that they are equally to
    blame by working for these two companies as "customer service" representatives.

These Insurance companies; their pharmacy management companies, such as MEDCO, are violating federal laws regarding fair trade; monopolies; false advertising through omission of information; and laws governing the alteration of a medical doctor's written precription.

What these insurance companies, and MEDCO, are doing, will come back around to them and their employees. Their horrible reputations and affiliations will haunt them. Wait until any of them, or their family members, need any emergency medical attention. This will be where their outrageously bad past behavior will all come back around to greet them.

Raped in Texas

• Bc
    B.C. Apr 01, 2010

Yes, I agree 100% with everything being said here about Medco being a horrid company. I just got a bill for $140, which is outrageous and for way more migraine pills than I need. NOW I find out after I call to try and send this boat load of pills back that they are "non-returnable, non-refundable". I needed maybe one box, not six boxes. I am certain they get constant complaints about this practice and do nothing to change it. It is all about making money off of the unsuspecting consumer. Is there no way to fight this? They are all about threatening collections and that I can't order more medications until it's paid off (GOOD - I'll never order from them again anyway). This is a horrible service. The supervisor run-around on the phone is bad enough, but then they just patronize me and act like they wish they could do more to help me when it is very clear they are trying simply to get me off the phone. Why do I feel like Cindy Loo Who down in Whoville. It is a simple matter of putting a warning label on the mail order form saying the rx is not refundable or returnable. The reason they don't extend that simple courtesy is they are hoping to trap people in precisely the manner I was just trapped.

• Bl
    BlakeR555 Apr 01, 2010

The first time we have used Medco and they charged us $454 dollars for a 90 day prescription due to my dr asking for no generics for my son. I saw it on my charge card before even before I received the med for my son. totally unauthorized by me I refused to accept deliverance of the med. Medco still said I had to pay. Very unethical company. previous prescription company always called us prior to unusual charges.totally unethical company in my opinion. I have this in dispute with my credit card company as I speak. by the way the other prescription I received I was shorted on my order and and was told by them that they had decided that I was only authroized to receive 3/4 amount I had been receiving for years. beware of this company!!! P.S. they hung up on me while I tryed to reason with them. Blake in Washington

• Gn
    G. Neroni May 07, 2010

Medco is another word for ###S ??? Yes indeed !

• Bl
    BLP2020 May 07, 2010

I HAVE ALSO HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH MEDCO. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS FREQUENTLLY TRY TO TELL ME WHAT MEDS I DO AND DONT NEED AND QUESTION ME REGARDING WHY A DOCTOR PUTS ME ON CERTAIN MEDS AND RECOMEMDS DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS AND TO GO TO DIFFERENT DOCTORS. DO THESE REPS EVEN HAVE A MEDICAL BACKGROUND TO BE GIVING THESE RECOMENDATIONS/ADVICE. I THINK IT IS A CRIME THAT IF I AM THE ONE PAYING PREMIUMS, THROUGH MY EMPLOYER, AND THEN BE FORCED TO DEAL WITH THE HARRASSMENT THAT MEDCO FREQUENTLY GIVES TO THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT IS FORCED TO DEAL WITH THEM DUE TO THEIR INSURANCE. DOES THE COMPANY NOT CARE HOW POORLY THEY TREAT THIER CUSTOMERS BECAUSE THEY KNOW CUSTOMERS DONT HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE? IN DEFENSE OF THE CUSTOMER REPS, DO YOU GET PAID SO POORLY AND TREATED SO BAD BY SUPERIORS THAT THE ATTITUDE IS REFLECTED IN THE WAY YOU TREAT THE CUSTOMERS? I HOPE NOT, I CANT IMAGINE WORKING AROUND OR UNDER SOMEONE FOR EIGHT HOURS A DAY. I GET EXTREMLY FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY JUST AFTER A FEW MINUTES ON THE PHONE, I CANT IMAGINE FACE TO FACE.

• Me
    medcodisaster May 29, 2010

MedCo sadly is the worst! If you think all the negative comments are bogus? Let me tell you from the standpoint of a daughter that helps her mother with her Rx due to a language barrier. My mother has no choice, due to my fathers medical insurance they are forced to utilize MedCo. For the past few years, everytime and I do mean EVERYTIME that my mothers Rx is out of refills, we go thru the same problem again and again and again. I feel like a ping pong ball. I will place an online order for medz for her, i get an emailed response that they are "in the process" of obtaining Dr's authorization to put in order... I call my Dr's office and Dr's office repeatedly says they have not received a phone call or a faxed auth form for the Rx refill or new Rx. This goes on for sometimes weeks with no resolution. Finally my Dr.'s office gets so tired of the games that I literally listen to them call MedCo giving all the info needed and stillllllllll I get an email telling me that they will order the med as soon as they hear from my mothers Dr. Is that insane????????????? Oh and folks, forget moving, changing your mailing address, phone # or getting a new Dr. If you do? You can simply compound the aforementioned tidbit by a million!!!

Debi13 Jun 14, 2010

This company needs to be audited, which will eventually shut it down. As a diabetic, I agree that it takes forever to get scripts filled. They do everything possible to avoid getting medication out, their customer service representatives are rude, arrogant and condensending and know nothing about what they are servicing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, there have to be a government agency that can step in here!!!

ChristiMarie Jul 08, 2010

My mother is diabetic and is forced to use Medco by BC/BS for her Diabetes and BP medicine. They continually underfill her Rx and charge her full price, maintaining it is not their policy to send the amount of medication she is still owed. I rarely wish ill on people, even if they cut me off in traffic or are personally rude to me, but I hate everyone at Medco with an acid that burns my own sould because I feel like they are rooting for my mother and other diabetics to die so they don't have to fill their meds anymore. I hope they all die choking on their own bile.

ChristiMarie Jul 08, 2010

Also, most states have a board to oversee pharmacies. I am not sure about the Federal Gov, but if you look on your state's website they should have a listing and maybe even a printable form (PA does) you can fill out and submit to the governing party. I encourage everyone to do so. This company needs to be stopped before their negligence and greed kill more people than they probably already have.

jewlz29 Sep 18, 2010

Incompetent thieves!!
    My Dr. wrote a Rx for me. I told him the generic seemed to cause more drowsiness and irritability so he crossed out "generic allowed" and signed his name above "Dispense As Written" AND circled it. Medco sent me the generic. When I called and was transfered FIVE times I was told by the Pharmacist that the Dr. had not signed for Brand. This is a blatant LIE.
    I'm a certified Pharmacist Technician and know how to read a Rx. The RPH told me she would contact the Dr. and I said. "but it's already been filled for generic". She stated, "if the Dr. writes for Brand, then they'll fill it for the $35 copay". A week later, I tried to use my debit card and it was overdrawn. Medco had filled the brand and charged me $463.00!!! Don't ever give Medco access to your bank account. Medco is stating that I requested brand, NOT the Dr. The second RPH admitted the Dr. had written for brand, but it was also signed on the generic and although it was crossed out, they interpreted it to mean generic. Even though BRAND was circled?! That money was going to be used for college tuition. Now I have 180 days of a medicine I occasionally use.

jewlz29 Sep 18, 2010

INCOMPETENT THIEVES!!

Defrauded13 Sep 24, 2010

I was improperly billed by Medco. I ordered some refills online and recieved notice (online) that I would be charged $160. Several days later the drugs arrived via mail with an attached invoice for $200. When I called to complain, I spent 22 minutes online with a custormer service representative. I could reach no satisfaction, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. After waiting several minutes, a supervisor named Kathy got online and proceeded to argue about the finances. I simply asked her why there was a big difference in charges from the online quote to the final invoice. Rather than answer my question, she went on to argue about the billing again, spouting the same rhetoric endlessly. I got sick of that and expressed once more how dissatisfied I was and said goodbye.

Clearly, these "customer service" reps are trained to argue until the customer gets tired and quits. What a company!

D Bilger Nov 15, 2010

I sent a check and prescription in to Medco on 10/29/10. I received the wrong MG of medication and this was for my 13 year old daughter who is dyslexic with adhd. I called them the same day I received it and was told the pharmacist read it wrong and some one would call me back Monday to let me know when they would send the correct medication out. The whole next week passed and no one called me, I called them on Friday afternoon to have them tell me the Dr made the mistake he didn't write it clearly for them to read so they just assumed what the MG was for. I still have not received her correct medication Thank God the Dr gave me a prescription for a 30 day supply I had filled at Wal Greens or she would not have started her increased dosage. As you see Wal Greens did not have a problem reading the Dr.'s writing. And Medco did not bother to call the DR. and question the MG's. Oh but they did say they will be sending me a envelope to ship the wrong medication back to them. Who will they pass this off on next? Will you be the one to next receive the medication I have in my home that they want me to ship back? This is (VYVANSE 20 MG!!)????????? Some one needs to investigate this generic company before they cost some one a life. Remeber this complaint is about my CHILD'S medication if I had not read the bottle she would have taken the wrong medication.
    D Bilger/ Texas

Dee65 Dec 31, 2010

If you have a serious drug dependent illness watch out for Medco! Medco is ok for a lot of the standard medications, especially where they can easily substitute a low cost generic drug such as common cholesterol or blood pressure medications, etc. After years dealing with limited routine prescription activity with few problems for either of us, Medco's true colors were revealed when my husband developed a serious illness and tried to get his prescription filled for a specific expensive drug (which we were paying for the excess with an AMEX card so collecting the money was not Medco's problem). It's like Medco is trying to steer you to whatever generic or substitute they want you to have, and punishing you with stupid delays/stalling for brand drug requirements. I would advise anyone who has to use Medco for your critical prescriptions to track your order daily, and stay on top of them so that you will be at least aware that you won't receive your medication on time. Your life could depend on it. Good luck!

D Bilger Jan 01, 2011

I still have not received my daughters correct medication. I guess by now I am not going to. There was a lady from the Florida office that swore she was going to follow up on this but I have not heard from any one in weeks. I ended up having to go back to the DR. to get a 30 day supply two times since the 10/29/10 original was messed up. Way to go Medco there is allot to be said for this generic company of itty its!! Dont shop Medco. D. Bilger of Texas

• Co
    ColleenEBrooks Jan 04, 2011

what they are good at is harrassing people who do not want to buy from them with telemarketers. i get calls 4 times a day. I am reporting them and fighting them tooth and nail. my pharmacist has a lot of integrity and i trust them with my drug management. I will not be forced by my insurance company to use them. i will be a force to deal with, I have had enough.

D Bilger Jan 04, 2011

How would you like them calling some one else about your medication? I have received numberless calls about my X Husband and his wifes prescription, I guess they dont have to follow the Hippa privacy laws.
    I still have not heard from Mecco about my daughters meds I guess by now I am the itty it to think these people had any brains to deal in meds. I am done using them.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices