Lia Sophia, trellis ringjunk jewelry marketed as real silver

I purchased this ring about 2 months and seldom wear it. The ring is attractive and suits my style asthetically speaking, however, this ring is marketed as STERLING SILVER, bit it is NOT silver. This ring is junk copper that has been plated with some type of silver colored coating. I paid for a solid sterling silver ring and got a piece of JUNK COPPER. I will never buy from this company again.

• Pj
    PJane May 31, 2017

I went to a Lia Sophia party in 2011 and couldn't believe the high prices. I asked the rep what the metal was and she told me it was rhodium over, get this, silver...bcz rhodium doesn't tarnish like silver (with the idea that otherwise, it wouldve all been made from solid silver). So like an idiot I believed this was fine jewelry, worth the price tag. She also dazzled us with the lifetime replacement guarantee. Two big fat lies. A few years later I found out their base metal is cheap crap with lead in it. And of course, they went out of business (sorta) and refuse to honor their guarantees.
    Back then I bought a necklace for a friend, it was $85.00, within two years she gave it back to me bcz it had broken and most of the rhodium wore off, and the base metal does look exactly like lead. I was lazy and didn't return it right away like I had intended and now there's no way to do that. Even if I had returned it before they closed shop they likely would not have given me a credit or exchange anyway. From all the reviews I've read they made it standard practice to cheat their customers returning defective and poor quality jewelry.
    Consequently, this necklace is going in the trash. I will never buy anything from their outlet or any of their garbage from anywhere or anyone ever again. I hope they get buried in this lawsuit against them. I'm glad all I ever bought from them was one piece of junk. I feel dreadfully sorry for enthusiastic, trusting customers who bought a lot from them.

• He
    Heatherj43 Aug 07, 2010

I have pieces of jewelry that are rhodium plated and they are 50 years old, at least, and the plating has never worn off at all. I have no idea what is underneath, but I have been told it is costly to plate in rhodium, so people do not plate cheap jewelry in rhodium because the price would be astronomical.
    Rhodium usually goes over gold or silver.
    You must have bought something not plted in rhodium. It doesn't tarnish. It does wear, but I haven't had it happen to my pieces.

• Pj
    PJane May 31, 2017

@Heatherj43 Hi, I'm a jewelry maker and the cost is not astromical to plate with rhodium (I buy rhodium plated components all the time). If Lia Sophia actually did plate with rhodium, like they claimed, it was surely an astromically thin coating. Your 50 year old jewelry is obviously not Lia Sophia, they haven't been in business that long. Whatever brand it is, it has a much thicker coating than LS ever used. Their stuff is just junk.
    P.S. nobody plates gold with anything, FYI, gold is not a base metal...

• Bl
    Blingamanda Aug 22, 2017

@PJane White gold is plated with Rhodium. If you were really a jeweler, I would expect you to know that.

• Un
    unhappy37 Jun 30, 2010

I am extremely unhappy with my ring. I purchased it a little over a month ago and copper is now showing. I was told that the ring was made out of Rhodium. This is a metal that you can pay to have your ring coated in if it is made of cheap metal. Which this ring obviously was. Whether it was false of my Advisor to tell me that the ring was made solely of Rhodium or not, paying $36 for a ring that has turned my finger green, tarnished, and had a lot of the outer metal worn away in just over a months time is simply not worth it. I love the design and upset that I want to return it, I just can't justify spending that type of money on something that may not even last me another few months. I've paid $5 for rings that have never turned my finger green.

• Lo
    lovin'life May 27, 2010

None of lia sophia's products are marketed as "sterling silver" ! If you look at the catalog the pieces are described as either gold or silver...no where does it say "sterling silver". As a Unit Manager with lia sophia I know that this is a false statement on your behalf. I would imagine that whatever advisor you purchased the piece through may have falsely stated that the piece was sterling silver, but that was misrepresentation on her part...NOT the company! So, the next time you choose to say something is JUNK...you might want to do your homework!!!