Les Schwabcharged for item pulled from trash

On 03/29/10, I ended up stranded in Ashland, OR with a flat tire at 5:30 am. After AAA came they referred me to the local Les Schwab listed above.

Upon inspecting the tire, it was determined a new rim for the tire was also necessary because the one in use had been bent. With my unwillingness to purchase a replacement for a rental vehicle that was going to cost over $100.00, the service man said he fully understood but thought he might still be able to help me out. He and my associate then went to the back to the dumpsters to look for an old discarded one. Lucky for me, they found one and after examining it - it was useable. The tire was mounted and balanced and I was on my way.

It wasn't until much later when going through the receipts of my trip, was I horrified to find out that the rim that was pulled out of the discard pile and mounted on my car had cost me a whooping $65.94! Talk about shock! I could understand being charged $10 or 20.00 for the discarded rim. But $65.94 for something I beat the landfill out of? How can companies get away with things like this. Is it because we're at their mercy when stranded on the road.
It's totally disgusting and I feel this was a total rip-off by this well known, big name company. Their actions towards a stranded motorist shows exactly how underhanded and low this big well known company has gotten. Les Schwab for years has been known as a company you could trust, obviously that is no longer the case.

• Mo
    mom of reason Jun 27, 2010

Les Schwab does not pull items out of the garbage to put on your car. The liability of that is too great. Sometimes they have usable used items which have a monetary value, but they are a retailer of new parts. You were charged for a used item that still had some life left in it, heck, my new custom wheels were over $300 each. How much steel or aluminum is in the used wheel you bought, what would be its recycle value? Did that $65 include mount and dismount, stems, tax, balance. Truly, you were not screwed.

• Ha
    Harrisonb1976 Jan 30, 2011

That is not a junk pile of wheels . It is a recycle pile of wich the store gets paid per pound of aluminum, so you dont get the wheel for free...wierd?

• Pi
    Picman Apr 27, 2011

You wouldn't have been charged for a scrap wheel, at least not the amount you are claiming. That may have been the invoice amount including service, used tire whatever, not just a scrap wheel as you claim. I don't know when the last time I purchased something without knowing the amount of the charge until months later? Might do you well to ask for a price and question it at the time of purchase if you don't think it's a fair value. Sounds like they got you out a jam and got you going down the road at a reasonable price to me. Les Schwab is a very reputable company that values return customers more than a one time purchase.