Law Offices of Curtis O. Barnesharrassment, lying, intimidation

L

I received a phone call from Mr. Castaneda threatening me. He said he was going to sue me if I didn't pay now. He was trying to intimidate me and harrassing me. I told him I didn't have the money and was I being sued now... he told me no, but did I want to take care of this in or out of court. he kept pushing me to pay right now and would let me get off the phone. I hung up on him.

• Law Offices of Curtis O Barnes, PC
    Anaheim CA
    Calling My Neighbors, Rude Behavior to My Employer, Threatening me with a Court Law suit
    just 5 days in from receiving my notice of an old HSBC (Hong Kong Shanghai Bank Corp) debt. These bottom feeders started doing this the same day I received notice and have been continuing this behavior every day since before my 30 days is even close to being up to dispute a debt. How do they get away with this.? They lie and say you've spoken to our manager and cussed at them, just to rile you up. I'm documenting everything, every violation and I'm seeking out advice.

sask Jan 04, 2011

keep getting harassing phone calls from this law office for someone who no longer has my new cell phone number. I have told them time after time to stop calling and that the person they are trying to reach no longer has this number. OMG...I guess they can’t get it through their thick skulls they really need to get it together. Dallas, Tx ss

• Is
    Is-this-behavior-legal? Jan 30, 2011

I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one who is being harassed by this firm. Okay, times are tough, I have otherwise excellent credit unfortunately I got laid off, lost my income. The alleged total about due is $3260 more than I actually paid for the product. Since I've refused to pay - they have contacted my parents - yes, I'm 50 years old, and they are harassing my 80 yr old parents.

• Al
    AllanK Feb 10, 2011

Law office of Curtis Barnes is a very unprofessional group of individuals who are rude and take personal shots at you and your financial situation in order to get you to pay. I really wish I could sue them and everyone who is in debt with them can be free from their harassment. They are really annoying. the lady who called me was 21, and I knew that as soon as she started talking there was going to be a problem. I cant believe they can get away with this. How can I make a formal complaint.

NoMoreWeasels Feb 21, 2011

These bottom feeders are real pieces of work. I understand that a person has to make a living. I even understand that in order to make a living people sometimes have to take a job they normally would not. Not the case with these trolls, they really love what they do. You can just tell by talking to these weasels that they really get off on screwing with people. They love trying to scare people by telling them how much information they have about them such as addressess, phone, etc. of you, your family and even your employer and landlord. Even though the law only allows them to call in order to locate you they use it to pressure and intimidate you and let you know it. They don't give out their address or real names because they know they deserve to be [censored] slapped for what they do. You can get their address from the internet. We should all get together and make a group visit to say hello. I am in SoCal but thier victims in Ohio can do it as well. If anyone is interested let me know by posting it and I will repond so we can get in contact.

• Er
    Eric89ryan Mar 09, 2011

I have to laugh they called my mother in law for my husband and stated they so desperately needed to speak to him. So I called back to find out its a debt I paid on tons of years ago we shall say over 10 years ago. Its a 905.00 balance if I paid on this before and originally it was only a 500.00 credit card then what is going on here. They say their lawyers then when you get on the phone they say thier there to collect a debt. I refuse to pay them because I already paid them. When Miss Johnson asked for work numbers I told her I was not authorized to give that information out. Its against the law in some states to contact family, friends, your job or neighbors if you owe a debt. do a cease and desist letter send it right to them. I asked for a pay off they refused to give me a pay off so guess what Im not paying one more dime and by law you cannot take money from a disabled person. Does anyone have a mailing address for this form they can share.

• Li
    likeitis49 Mar 18, 2011

Very unprofessional, rude and threatened to sue my 90 yr old mother living with me. I lost my job 2 years ago and requested a payment program, that's when they got nasty. They say the debt was sold to Fortis Capital II, LLC
    HSBC - Yamaha debt. I asked them not to call and they called again. I'm going to the Post Office now to send a D.V. letter, certified return requested. per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,
    The only address I can find is; Law Office of Curtis O. Barnes, 390 W Cerritos Avenue, Anaheim, CA [protected]

• Ky
    kyky May 04, 2011

As for ALL the above comments, as a former employee of this company; I can tell you that you are all very wrong. They are a very professional company and do NOT thrive off of making threats. Have you ever asked yourself why you recieve the calls, and have you ever admitted to yourselves that this is more than likely not the only company you are receiving calls from. Dont be angry at the person on the other end of the phone that is just doing their job for FINDING you and trying to get you to uphold your contractual agreements that you knowingly signed and agreed to; and probably didnt read the fine print because you just wanted the card or merchandise. And by the way, its called a Law Office for a reason, they do and will sue if the proper conditions are in place! Also, you may want to read up on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, it is in place for a reason and that reason is not to help you AVOID your obligations! Just pay your damn bills and you wont have to worry about receiving collection calls in the first place. Next time you think that getting a line of credit is the easy way out, read the fine print. There are interest, penalties, late fees, the right to sell your account, all sorts of things in there. Educate yourselves properly and completely before passing the buck onto someone else, and understand that you and only you put yourself in the situation you are in!

• Al
    AllanK May 04, 2011

It is not a matter of debt but of public relationship, respect, and professionalism. The debt is obviously owed but how your company attempts to collect is very inappropriate.

• Ki
    Kismet1975 May 13, 2011

AllanK- thank you so much for verifying the accuracy of the complaint. As you have so clearly made it apparent that, as a former employee of this company, you endorse their practices of harrassment, slander, and intimidation. Perhaps it's YOU that might want to consider the alternatives. Not EVERYONE is a low-life trying to get out of paying bills that yes, we owe. Some situations arise that take priority that perhaps we didn't anticipate- it's called LIFE (I'm sure your feeble mind can digest such a simple concept). Example- if my child is diagnosed with operable cancer that requires upfront payment of my co-pay, the $300 that I owe to your "client" can, and will, damn well wait. Harrassing me at work, and causing me to lose my job in the process (personal calls are absolutely not tolerated, and yet YOU repeatedly call me there despite my asking you not to), whether it's your job or not, is wrong. So yes, thank you for the "suggestion" that I stop avoiding my debts. Might I suggest to YOU to dig your apathetic head out of your ### and stop harrassing people at work while you sit at your minimum wage job making assumptions that are far above your education and/or experience to make.

• Ky
    kyky May 23, 2011

Again, let me reiterate. I am a FORMER employee. Had you read my statement you will see i stated that they DO NOT harass. They are simply performing a job same as you do at work. So, you are telling me that you are yourself completely honest with all your creditors? Never said check is in the mail/emergency came up/NO EXCUSES??? Life does happen, but it life has happened long enough to put you in collections, then you are not trying to do anything about changing what has happened on your end. Stop trying to place blame elsewhere. Take charge of your life and debt, dont be an ### when a company calls you; instead be honest. Collectors hear so many excuses every day, all day that honesty would be a nice change. They are people too, and your reaction on the other end really can set a tone for the response you will get in regards to help. Stop being so angry, it isnt going to change the situation. And FYI, not a min wage job. There are people just like myself with degrees that work in this industry. Also FYI, I am one of the people that deal with the legal aspect of things. I am not the one calling you so why so hostile towards me? I am simply stating my opinion on here as you have. In regards to your work calls, Have you called them back? Given them a different way to reach you, or just yell and be hostile? Advised cant talk now, but will call on lunch, or after get off work----and honestly return the call??? They arent out to "GET YOU" like you think, so while you have a few minutes, in the evening; take some time to create a budget, gather your last few pay stubs, and call them and tell them that you want to do what is right you have done all of the above things and are willing to prove your debt/income ratio and get the situation resolved. Dont be hostile or negative, remember that honesty is the best policy and maybe, just maybe you will get a different response and be shocked at the outcome. If you make it a point to call them, or take a few minutes to speak when you are called; or politely say you cant talk but want to get resolved and give a better contact number and time to reach you then the outcome will be much different than if you are hostile and it is felt you are not wanting to resolve.

• Ki
    Kismet1975 May 23, 2011

Apparently you've never been on the recieving end. I have, and yes, I have set up arrangements and followed through, and given them my personal #. They do call it first, but since again, I'm at work during the day, I can't answer- so they try the next #, which is my work number. Try giving me a chance to call you back before bombarding every number you've ever had for my in my past and present. I appreciate "reminder" calls, but I hardly think I need to be "reminded" 5-6 times a week prior to the scheduled payment. In an attempt to close the gap on that debt ratio you so kindly mentioned, I changed my cell phone plan to a very minimum number of minutes. All of your calls are using up my minutes. Can I deduct that from my balance? AGAIN- Stop thinking everyone is avoiding you because we're trying to avoid a valid debt. Get off your holier-than-thou trip- karma is a pain in the ###. On what planet were you born that creates life-forms void of hearts? Some day you're going to have a valid life emergency such as a sick child, the death of a spouse, a major auto accident, etc, and you'll understand how difficult it is to remain calm when a bill collector is calling you numerous times daily while you're overwhelmed with despair and heartache. Don't ask me to be "understanding" that you're human when you're being so insensitive.
    There are literally tens of thousands of people that have lost their jobs and are now working in a much lower paying position just to scrape by. Their debt ratio has changed. It doesn't matter if we tell people like you, who are "just doing your job", that we can't afford to pay anything- you CONTINUE to call and harrass. Since you have such extensive experience in the legal area as well, I'm sure you must know: Your Rights Under the FDCPA:
    Recognizing Debt Collection Abuse
    Can a debt collector call me at work?
    Not if the debt collector has reason to believe that your employer does not allow you to receive such calls. Many people's employers do not allow them to take personal phone calls. If that is true in your case, inform the debt collector immediately.
    It doesn't matter if I give you another number- it is against the law for you to continue to call me at my place of employment after I have made it clear to you and asked you not to contact me there. People win punitive law suits against debt collectors all the time, which must mean that the law agrees your tactics are harrassment in at least some cases, so don't sit there and pretend that EVERY bill collector is "just doing their job", unless you mean it's their job to harrass people.
    Let's just agree to disagree- not everyone wants to pay their bills and not every debt collector is humane.

• Na
    NANCY DEARING Jun 18, 2011

i got a letter from law office of curtis o barnes, pc and i called them and i talked to A J and he was rud and he was calling me a liar on the phone he told me to pay between 500. to 700. downpayment to pay off $3892.11 witch i do not owe nothing i never bought nothing on credit he told me if i don't pay then there going on ahead a pursuing me with the lawsuite he told me to call him today at 3:30 my time and i did and there ater but no one answered the phone so i new something wasn't right so i called the bbb and told them the name and number they told me to call the bbb in little rock and get 5 step's of harrassment then i was told to call the state board and i called them and i am waiting for them to contact me back and i have contacted the anaheim police department that is investigating these people

• Tr
    True in Los Angeles Jul 28, 2011

I do think they are an unethical business. I received a call on December of 2008 at work (David Hernandez left a message with Payroll Department). I called the number back and was yelled at by Mr. Hernandez. After he was done screaming at me for several minutes I had my boss at the time (VP of Company) speak with him to let him know I could not receive these types of calls at work 1. They are not allowed to harrass and call a person's place of employment 2. That it would jeopardize my job. He then proceeded to scream and yell at my boss that I had a bill I owe that I need to pay (By law, they are not allowed to divulge that type of information to other people other than myself, including family, friends, co-workers, etc...) and that he can call me whenever, wherever he wants. I wasn't disputing the fact that I owed the bill, just the way they were with me when calling. I then received a call from Heather on December 10th of that year. I advised her I could pay $500 a month to pay towards what I owed; I calculated and my debt would have been paid off in 11-12 months. She advised that amount wasn't sufficient that I needed to pay it all off or they would take me to court and garnish my salary and I'd have to pay attorney fees, interest and I'd have the embarassment of having this on my record. I flat out told her I could not pay over $6, 000 up front but I could make payments. Again, she reiterated the above.
    I do think they are an unethical company (at the time I looked them up on the BBB they had an F rating; which didn't surprise me). AGAIN, I never disputed the amount that I owed, just the way in which I was treated.
    They are a "Law Office/Debt Collection Agency" and are unethical in the way in which they do business. I think many people are afraid to speak up do to "Law Office". However, more people should then these companies won't get away with their business practices (or lack thereof). Since they supposedly "tape all of their calls", which it states when you call (and they also tell you), then they would have proof of these harassing calls. I have contacted BBB, FTC and State Attorney General's Office and The State Bar of California due to their harassment and the State advised they would look into their business practices (if they do tape calls, they can get access if they get enought complaints. My boss is also willing to testify to this if called to court based on my on contact with the State. More people do need to come forward (not about the $$$ you owe. If you owe $$S you should pay) about the harassment they have received in regards to this company.

• Di
    disgustedinCA Oct 12, 2011

I am having the same problem with this firm. I have never dealt with such rude, ignorant people in my life. They are now calling my EX in-laws. The amount of money they demand per month is unreasonable. The posts from the former employees of this only confirm the type of individuals that are employed here. There must be some something that can be done to stop the harassment. I will keep doing research to find out. I cannot believe it would be legal to do the things they do.

• Fe
    FEDUPINCALIF Oct 22, 2011

After reading KyKy's statement as a "former employee"...sounds very similar to exactly how they "perform their job"...in true legalized mafia style. Many people are in their financial situation not because of poor planning or misuse of credit cards...but how about unexpected life occurrences. Try to make arrangements with this office in a civilized manner...get the KyKy treatment. By the time you're through with the phone conversation you feel like either committing suicide or paying them a visit. Add more misery to more misery. See when you call...most people have the perception that "they care". IN Fact they DO NOT CARE. They DO NOT care what your story is...what your suggested pay back could be...They want it ALL...AND they want it NOW. PERIOD!!! The best advice for your sanity is to handle these [censored] legally. See legal advice what your recourse could be. IF you have many bills haunting you...seek filing bankruptcy. It's not the end of the world. Don't punish yourself trying to "settle" with these idiots. So reread what KyKy wrote...because that is exactly HOW they think and operate. So sorry that people are that way...but this is the way of this world.

• Ju
    JudyRR Oct 24, 2011

Law office of Curtis O'Barnes is the most unethical law firm around wondering if they are a law firm or just a collection company using the law firms name. If they used a better approach they might get money from the consumers. They called a company to get my husbands number that is not even on my loan. They contacted my husband and gave him all the information about my loan which he did not know about we keep everything separate. The contacted him on his work phone and my work phone told them not to call my husband they did anyway. They threatened my husband and told him they would go after him when I had already paid part of the loan to them. The bar association should really take a look at attorneys like this and revaluate them.

• Ba
    baxter123 Aug 28, 2012

It is somewhat of a relief to hear that I am not the only one getting harassed and lied to. They told me they have been leaving messages 2-3 times per day everyday. LIES. I know I owe the money and I have been making payments every month. Now they are demanding the full amount of the loan. He would not let me hang up so I finally just hung up. I can't believe the law allows the treatment they give to the people they call. I am not a low life just lost a good paying job and can't afford the high payments they want. I will seek an attorney and I will file bankruptcy if they continue to call me. I am not playing with these so called professionals!!!

• Jc
    jcd965 Aug 29, 2012

these people like the original company are predatory in general! HSBC is and has been fined for their practices along with Beneficial...that's fact!! Strait up to the former "life employees ", you supporting these companies shows what pond ### you are! When banks call you offering help and charge you 28% on the dollar that's legalized loan sharking! The sad part is the government knows this and wont do a thing to stop it because when its party time for elections, banks are there handing out the doe. Back to you ### collectors and junk debt buyers...yea you lie like the banks but 10 time worst cause you bought that paper for peanuts and want to extort the entire amount owed plus interest...that makes you ### cause all your doing is taking advantage of a broken system that law makers wont fix! So you Mr Collector tell us more lies and deceit, keep th reatening and keep on stealing. See when the real judgement day comes and the man shuts the gate on you, the only friend you'll have is Lucifer and he'll put a boot up your #@$!!

• Du
    dumb and stupid Sep 12, 2012

this same office offered me a settlement and after i gave them my banking info, the settle letter never arrived and they are behaving like sqaure one again after acquiring the settlement amount. they lied, basically. so beware, ask for the VOD like the info provided above and obtain the settle letter first. i should have known better, i was just reacting to the legal papers and wanted to get the ordeal over with. don't make the same mistake:) the banks got a bail out from the tax payers, go get yours too.

• Be
    beatyou90 Sep 12, 2012

If you low life trailer trash deadbeat consumers would pay your bills the lawyers would not contact you.

• Du
    dumb and stupid Sep 12, 2012

white collar crime is so common and they are not responsible. the banks got their bail out from the taxpayers. when they are responsible for their actions (damaging the environment to start..) i will consider not attempting my own bail out.

• Se
    seamstress59 Oct 30, 2012

My complaint about this company is that they won't work with me to change my payment date. I get paid once a month and I need them to change my paydate to the 2nd of the month. iI get paid on the 1st of the month and these fools try totake the money off of my card at 12:00am on the morning of the payday and thefunds are not even posted to your account at that time. They told me that if My payment is declinec one more time they will sue me, what can I do. They also charge me 11% interest each day I will never get this bill paid off. They are really rudethey keep expressing tome that they are doing me a favor by setting up this payment plan. I need help.