Jollytime RagdollsRagdoll Cat Died at 13 Months NC Breeder

A

On 11/16/12 I purchased a kitten from NC Ragdoll breeder Lynn Milstead of Jollytime Ragdolls in Kannapolis, NC. He was born 8/2/12. His name was Maxwell and he was very loved. He died on 9/24/13 at only 13 months of multiple issues, none of them viral, bacterial, or related to or caused by parasites. All of these issues were likely genetic per his vets. Those issues were: Evan's Syndrome (immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, his immune system was attacking his red blood cells and platelets), a perinephric pseudocyst, restrictive cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. He was seen by his vet multiple times for one week and was then hospitalized for one week. Despite doing every single thing that there was to do for him, we lost him after two weeks. I spent $7500 trying to save him.

During his illness, I contacted his breeder Lynn Milstead of Jollytime Ragdolls to ask her a few questions in an attempt to help diagnose him. She stated that "I still have all the same breeding cats, and I have no known issues with them, or I would not be breeding them and I have never been told a kitten or cat in the 7 years I've been breeding, had cancer." His parents were Fishstick of the Sea and Black Licorice Jellybean. After his death I contacted her twice to notify her of his death and to give her more information about what was wrong with him. She has not replied. He came with a 1 year genetic or congenital defect guarantee.

My family and I are devastated our loss of Maxwell. My poor children had to watch their young cat get progressively sicker, they had to watch as I syringe fed him, medicated him, slept on the floor with him. They had weeks of wondering if he would get better or die only to end up losing him. The roller coaster was a nightmare just awful for all of us, but especially for Maxwell who had to suffer so much.

Her lack of interest about what killed one of her kittens concerns me. The fact that she is still breeding the same cats concerns me. Her lack of compassion although not enforceable by contract law, concerns me. I do not want another family to go through what we have gone through and more than that, I do not want another cat to suffer the way that Maxwell did, and that is why I am posting this complaint.

Please do your research before purchasing a cat from this breeder! This is not the only complaint out there.

• Cu
    Curt Gehm Dec 31, 2013

You're giving the wrong advise since TICA doesn't Police it's own Breeder Members. The OP should file an appropriate Complaint with their State Attorney General's Office NOT TICA..

EMC68 Dec 31, 2013

Curt, this happened to be a "Traditional" Ragdoll, for your information.

EMC68 Dec 31, 2013

Oh for Pete's sake will you stay out of this one, Curt? This is just to make TICA and potential kitten buyers aware of a very disreputable breeder! It has nothing to do with variants, per se. This post had to do with a person who doesn't care about where their animals are going, and doesn't care about being supportive or understanding towards their buyers!

• Cu
    Curt Gehm Dec 30, 2013

Alexis, TICA is a REGISTRY and they DO NOT police their Breeder Members. Please go to your State Attorney General's Office and File a Complaint. If you purchased a "Variant Colored Ragdoll" you can also complain that the Cat was NOT part of the Breed. Variants are Registered ONLY by TICA "with" Ragdolls not "as" Ragdolls. Good luck.

EMC68 Dec 27, 2013

Hi Alexis, I hope you will be able to see this. You (and everyone else that has been hurt ) need to go to TICA and file a complaint. This is a kitty mill just making money off of innocent animals that depend on their caregivers. Please go on TICA.org and find the director for this area and send her an email.