Jim Laabs Musiccussed out and yelled my wife in front of my 3 small children, then demanded payment for services not rendered.

J Mar 17, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. LOOK ELSEWHERE. Please note for clarification that this review is for their piano moving service specifically, but does reflect on the entire business. 0 stars, would not recommend. My family and I have had simply the worst experience possible here. My wife and I purchased a beautiful baby grand piano from a private seller and began to shop around for a reputable company to move our new piano. My wife discovered this business and was informed they had a piano moving service. She was advised that someone would call her later that day. My wife received an email only (no phone contact attempts were made until the end) the next day. Of note, I have retained all emails and communication for legal purposes if need be. My wife even provided them with her personal cell, but they declined to call her initially (we'll get back to this one). My wife described the area inside and out surrounding the piano to the best of her abilities, including that there was a door adjacent to the piano leading outside. She was informed by the sellers that there was grass outside this door (covered by snow as one could assume as it is now the dead of winter in northern Wisconsin). The movers did not request photos, however we did provide a couple anyways - again, trying to be as helpful as possible. About 1.5-2 weeks later, this company contacted my wife and told us they would be available the next day. As I work full time, my wife (attempting to be helpful and as thorough as possible) drug all 3 of our young children (1 is an infant) early in the morning to meet the movers and ensure everything went smoothly. Upon arriving, the 2 gentlemen who arrived with the truck (who per my wife's report were very kind and helpful) noted that as there was snow and possibly ice in front of this door, they would not be able to move the piano safely. Very understandable. I would never want to endanger someone's life for a piano. They attempted to try another longer route through the house, but this was not ultimately possible. My wife then received a phone call from someone named Troy Laabs, who proceeded to yell and cuss at my wife - with my young children in earshot! He accused my wife of lying to him and demanded payment immediately, declining to move the piano regardless of payment. My wife called me in tears. I attempted to remedy this for her by calling Jim Laabs Music Store. After some phone tag, I was placed in touch with Josh. Josh was very professional (thank you, Josh). I have since been informed that Josh (though he was the only professional person I had personally spoken to) was indeed a young kid who works behind the counter and did not have any control or knowledge of the situation. After explaining my frustrations and requesting an apology numerous times, Josh (it seemed like was being fed a script, as he would regularly place me on hold and come back with more information) insisted that we owed money for the truck. I explained that A.) no contract was signed, therefore no money is owed. B.) my wife was treated like garbage and profanity was used against her in front of my young children and no apology has even been attempted. C.) it is generally poor customer service, at best, to scream at and cuss out a customer, then demand payment for services not provided. D.) I am not amenable to making any payment to a company who treats me or my family this way. Prior to this obscene behavior, I am a reasonable guy, and would be happy to work with any friendly small business who has run into unforeseen roadblocks. E.) this company does not even have the self-awareness or respect for their customers to offer even a scripted apology (come on folks, market research tells us a lot about the power of even a simple "I'm sorry."). On principle, we will be using another piano moving service from farther away that will cost us twice as much as there is not another service close by that we are aware of. I will also be spreading this warning around to everyone I know as a cautionary tale.