IMDBunfair ratings

J Review updated:

Hundreds of angry filmmakers are getting ready to sue imdb for their unfair ratings system.
Imdb purposefully places a higher emphasis on those that give the movies a '1' thus bringing down the overall rating.
The median is always higher.
Imdb's rating methods are completely and totally flawed and skewed to favor studio films (Their main advertisers) while diminishing the reputation of stellar indie films that have averages in the 3.5 - 6.5 (Horrible ratings).
The negative impact of this is:
1) loss of sales (Blockbuster, netflix, redbox, foreign sales, etc)
2) loss of reputation
3) loss of visibility
4) loss of future investors.

This is a very serious matter. If you would like to join in on the upcoming lawsuit or would like to support the filmmakers, please email the group at: [protected]@yahoo.com

Thank you!

• Ry
    Ryota Nakanishi Aug 18, 2019

''imdb rating manipulation'' is real. And it's backed by awful customer service which only sends templated replies mechanically without any specific explanations about particular cases.

I have strong evidences about how IMDb increases or decreases ratings of film titles secretly by its staffs even without any votes. General tendency is that it pumps up ratings of blockbusters or films of US allies, especially Taiwan stuff. And IMDb decreases scores of small independent films, specifically films made by critics of US foreign policies. This was not noticed during my use of IMDb since 2012 to 2019. When it targets you, you will only know that later. They tend to gradually and secretly manipulate ratings.

I can share one case here with others. It shows how they manipulate ratings even without any votes, and how they cover it later.

August 9, 2019

IMDb's Unspeakable Manipulation of IMDb Rating against Film title #1: Moxina (2012)

IMDb.com, Inc.
    535 Terry Avenue N.
    Seattle, WA 98109, United States

Dear IMDb:

On August 9, 2019, I, Ryota Nakanishi who is a consumer of IMDb Pro service recently got informed by friendly netizens about your manipulation of IMDb rating against our films and others.

I myself checked the situation and deeply disappointed about some of your staff ‘s uncivilized, childish behavior like manipulation of rating of films. It is unfair and outrageous for small independent filmmakers.
    All of your manipulation of scores will be recorded and piled for the future use and publication.

IMDb was great in the past but now you are aggressively oppressing some filmmakers.

I believe my case is just a tip of iceberg of your aggressive manipulation.

1. At 10:27pm (China), Aug.7 2019 719 IMDb users voted 8.0 /10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 7.4.

2. At 12:58am (China), Aug.8 2019 720 IMDb users voted 8.0 / 10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 7.4.

3. At 9:03am (China), Aug.8 2019 720 IMDb users voted 7.9 / 10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 7.2.

4. At 12:05 am (China), Aug.9 2019 720 IMDb users voted 7.9 / 10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 7.2.

5. At 9:30 am (China), Aug.9 2019 720 IMDb users voted 7.7 / 10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 6.9.

During this period, no user voted it negatively. Moreover no user voted or changed their votes during August 8, 2019 to 9:30 am (China), Aug.9 2019.
    However some of your staff just manipulated the Non US users average votes from 7.4 to 6.9. As the result, some of your staff consciously manipulated total score 8.0 to 7.7.
    10: 563 users voted
    4: 11 users voted
    3: 9 users voted
    2: 10 users voted
    1: 27 users voted
    (During Aug. 8 to 9, 2019; the votes above unchanged)

To resolve the problem, your management must investigate on which IMDb staff is manipulating scores undemocratically and spitefully. Maybe some member of your management team is involved in this uncivilized manipulation. Strong proofs I already got from friendly netizens and by myself while I was busy for business. Enclosed are copies of proofs of your undeniable manipulation.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problems and will wait a while before seeking help from a consumer protection agency or the Better Business Bureau.

Please contact me at the provided email address or phone.

Sincerely,
    Ryota Nakanishi

READ MORE: https://www.ryotanakanishi.com/post/sns-review-3-imdb-s-unspeakable-manipulation-of-imdb-rating-against-film-title-1-moxina-2012

UPDATE:
    At 6:27pm (China) August 10, 2019, I received the email reply from the customer service of IMDb below. It is just a templated answer with no specific explanation. It is just a template not a customer service at all.

IMDb 's reply:
    Hi, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please rest assured that our voting system has several safeguards in place and that this type of behavior is periodically detected and automatically defeated. We appreciate your help and will take the appropriate steps to investigate further. For further details, please see our Help page: https://help.imdb.com/article/imdb/track-movies-tv/faq-for-imdb-ratings/G67Y87TF... Please let us know if we can offer further help.
    Best regards,
    Meredith
    IMDb Customer Service
    ----------------------------------------------

However, IMDb lied to me that they restarted the same manipulation that I formerly complained. FACT: At 7:47 am (China), Aug.13 2019. 723 IMDb users voted 7.5 / 10; Top 1000 users voted 5.1; US users voted 5.4; Non US users voted 6.7.

10: 564 users voted +1
    5: 7 users voted
    4: 11 users voted
    3: 9 users voted
    2: 10 users voted
    1: 27 users voted (During Aug. 10 to 13, 2019; three users voted 1 users for 10, 1 users for 9; 1 user voted for 8; there was no negative votes)

IMDb did not properly respond to the complaint, and no specific explanation of the specific case were provided.

The score sheet has been manipulated without any change of votes since August 8, 2019 at least. During this period, no user voted it negatively.

Moreover only three user voted favourably and no one changed their votes during August 10, 2019 to 7:47 am (China), Aug.13 2019. However some of your staff just manipulated the Non US users average votes from 6.9 to 6.7. As the result, some of your staff consciously manipulated total score 7.7 to 7.5.

Conclusion:
    IMDb did not properly respond to the specific compliant and the specific issue. Furthermore, there is no specific explanation about the specific compliant was provided.

As a consumer, I must stop using IMDb service because its manipulation, unfairness and lack of quality customer service to care its actual customer.

• Da
    daz H Oct 23, 2017

IMDB is blagging the ratings to be higher for some shows for some reason, I watched the 1st 3 episodes of a new show and its dog awful, I rated the show and each episode as a 1 and finding it hard to believe that it really is that bad and not just me, I read a lot of other reviews, I have checked lots and very few are rating this as above a 5 and it looks like an avg of about 3.5 to me, yet imdb has it as a 7.3... rubbish!

Charmaine Phillippi-Eshelman Feb 17, 2016

Some of the best movies are given very low ratings by IMDB, even many very popular classics. Indie films are generally given low scores, too. Those who rate the movies seem to favor violence and big names (directors and producers) above well-made dramas. Unfortunately, people often decide to skip films because of these unfair practices, rather than watching them and judging for themselves.

• Hg
    hg jk Aug 17, 2015

People are biased...

• En
    Ent. Lawyer Jul 22, 2013

Imdb's ratings are horrible. Any hater's views and comments are posted for the world to see. You know IMDB is 'goating' people to slander actors, writers, etc to bring more 'hits' to their stupid website. The CEO is Cole Needham who should be sued along with Amazon.com

• Eo
    EO Entertainment May 24, 2013

They do not update credits of Indie's. I pay monthly and I can't get them to update my films. When I submit a project, they encouraged me to buy posters and after buying $70 worth of poster's for projects they approved, they disqualified the films and refused to refund my money. Their is no phone number, email or supervisor to complain to and they will not accept any valid projects. I issued credit for a film I did, gave them the contact number to the producer and proof I was in the film abd they bullied me and would not render the credit as punishment for complaining.

• Ri
    Rick9230 Apr 11, 2013

IMDB is pure evil.

They ALWAYS give indie films a 5 or less while anything Tarantino is a 9 - pure evil people in Santa Monica

• Ha
    harmonicool Dec 04, 2011

I TRIED TO MAKE A CORRECTION TO HERBERT HEYES LISTING THAT HE DIED WHEN HE WAS 58 RATHER THAT 68 BUT I WOULD HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO EITHER SUBMIT CREDIT CARD INFORMATION OR A MOBILE PHONE LISTING, I DIDN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE GIVING OUT A CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND I DON'T HAVE A MOBILE PHONE, AND THE CATEGORY WASN'T COVERED ON THEIR HELP DESK LIST SPECIFICALLY, SINCE THEY HAD THE DATES CORRECT, BUT NOT THE MATH.

jollyroger2011 Jun 15, 2011

I have been trying to get IMDb to credit me for work completed on various projects for YEARS. I have been emailing them for YEARS and all they ever do is write me back days later (because there are no live human beings to locate with a phone number) saying the same thing...that my work cannot be verified. Despite having my name in the credits on screen and under google search and call sheets, they refuse, refuse refuse to give me credit where credit is due. Horrible company that controls this because they want to force you to pay for IMDb Pro where you can put whatever you want under what they claim to be "uncredited" credit. So even tho I have credit they are claiming they cannot verify it and I either don't get credit or have to pay for an IMDb pro membership. I HATE THEM! Because of them I cannot get more work because no one can just look me up on IMDb to see the work I have been doing for years.

• Je
    Jennybigalow Apr 27, 2011

Totally agree that the ratings are unfair.
    They gave 'Soul Surfer' a 5.5?

• IrishChick Apr 19, 2011

They also don't always list or mention all the actors, actresses, musicians on there. I've looked up cast for movies or television shows and half of them are not even named nor have pictures. How can you recognize someone for their work?