Household BankAccount Problems

J

On 11/29/11 at approximately 10:00 pm, I called in to activate my new credit card. I was asked a series of questions such as my full social, full name and mother's maiden name. The representative then continued another series of questions that was "obtained from public records" and "may or may not pertain to me." I went on to answer these questions and then I was told that they could not verify my identity. Appalled, I could not understand why this was so since everything that was asked I had answered. Personally, I do not understand how some of the questions such as what kind of car I drive could even be used to verify my identity since they were never initially provided to Household Bank. In addition, a question was asked regarding two relatives which I did not know the answer to. According to the supervisor, this information should have been known by myself, but I fail to see how this would verify my identity.

I would like to be personally contacted regarding my account that I have had since 2005. I do not believe that such security questions can verify my identity. Not once was I asked my date of birth and I was readily available to answer any and all personal information. I do not want to send it additional paperwork to verify my account. I would like to close my account immediately.

• Vl
    Vladimir Estragon Jun 16, 2010

They pull the same thing on me and continue to mail me my bill late so they can charge me "late fees"

• Ka
    Karlajfox May 21, 2010

I got a phone call a few moments ago, a lady wanted to know if I wanted to lower my interest rates on my HB Mastercard account...I pressed 9 for yes.

Another person came on, a man, and started to ask me for my cc info, I said I didn't have it, he said he needed it, I said just tell me about the interest rates, and was I qualified? He hung up on me.

What?

• mjlambie Mar 11, 2010

Household bank and HSBC are jokes. Same things here.

• catman220 Mar 01, 2010

Household bank is a joke.They raised my interest from 17 to 27% for nothing.I was never late or over my limit.I told them to take a hike.

• Gd
    gdion Mar 01, 2010

They made a transfer even after I cancelled and then put me over the limit by charging me interest with out giving me a chance to pay in full first!!!

• He
    Henry Jul 29, 2009

The payment date is not constant and changes in different months. When making a payment buy phone you are charged $15.00 additional processing fee.

• Ni
    Niel Jul 11, 2009

Refused to lower the interest rate on my card. It has been going up up up and I always pay on time and pay more than is required to pay.

• Wy
    Wykis Mar 20, 2009

I'm not sure if that's legal or not, but I did ran into a lot of trouble while dealing with the same credit card issuer (Household Bank). However, heres a website that helps people to find answers when dealing with national banks (I don't believe Household is national though).

• St
    Stan Mar 11, 2009

I received my bill this month and Household WITHOUT any notice had lowered my 2 accounts credit limits. One was lowered from $8000.00 to a mere $900.00 the other from again $8000.00 to $1800.00 after being a customer of their's for 9 years and with excellent credit. My accounts could have gone over their new credit limits without me even knowing about it. I called the CSR who not only could not speak the English Language let alone understand it, tried to tell me that a notice was sent out last week, yet I received no notice what so ever on any of my accounts. Household is a sub-standard bank with sub-standard practices that have gotten the US in the trouble in which it is in today. Household should concentrate their energy on getting their monies from those that owe it and leave those customers alone with whom pay their bills. I WILL NOT do business with such a bank and with their standards and have simply paid off my accounts. Does anyone know if this is practice is legal? If not does anyone wish to jump on the band wagon with myself and sock it back to this sub-standard bank?

• La
    Laurie Nov 24, 2008

The bank is required by law to help you resolve this.

If they refuse file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Office of Thrift Supervision

• Je
    Jesus Dejesus Nov 18, 2008

I receive and e-mail stating that I had made a large purchase with my credit card. I then contact my credit card and they said I need to call the place I had the purchase with. I can't understand why they didn't help me resolve this.