Home Away, Property #6481436property did not match photos - pool looks huge in photo, it is the size of a large hot tub

I Nov 08, 2019

In August, we vacationed in Italy. After a fraudulent property cancelled our booking in Cinque Terre, we were in desperate need of another large home to book to accommodate our group of 9 adults. In a scramble to find a property, I booked a property in Masa Lubrense, on the Amalfi Coast. It wasn't our first choice to stay, we had to adjust all of our plans, lost money on hotel nights in Florence, changed our car rentals, etc as no other property in Cinque Terre was able to accommodate us. We switched our entire location for the week to the Amalfi Coast.

Upon reviewing the property photos and then seeing some reviews online, I noticed that not all of the property images were shown with Property #6481436. I inquired about the property to the manager and asked more questions and asked for more photos. After my 4th request, she sent me a few more photos, one showing the "pool" which is actually a self-made wooden hot-tub (see photos). We had 9 adults travelling and expected a large pool for our family, as shown in the property listing. The photo is skewed and looks like the pool is a beautiful huge, in-ground pool. It is nothing like that at all.

I contacted Maria and told her that the property did not meet our requirements and we could not possibly stay there in the heat of the summer with this tiny "pool" - that it would not accommodate our large group and wasn't appropriate for our family size, nor did it match the photo showing online. I was also quite concerned with the reviews I saw that showed dated rooms and a tiny kitchen and discussions about other renters, apartments, etc.

Please see letters and photos attached...

I would appreciate some follow-up as this has gone nowhere with Home Away. It is absolutely the worst travel experience we have ever encountered in our 20+ years of travel throughout the world. We travel abroad approximately 4-5 times per year and throughout North America and weekly throughout Canada. This is not our first time renting... we have more than 20 years renting with VRBO, Airbnb, Quintess, Luxe, Private Property Rentals, Abercrombie & Kent (Fitch), and more. There does not seem to be any accountability with Home Away, nor follow-up, nor any department to handle complaints of any kind. Home owners can post their properties, without full disclosures, with skewed photos, pretending to be much better amenities than they actually are and can completely get away with it. It is appauling!

Sincere thanks for taking the time to read through this and consider the situation.

Lois Vanderhooft