General Revenue CorporationTerrible experience

I know these people are contacting me about defaulted student loans. I cannot pay them. I called Sallie Mae to negotiate payment, pointing out that I have no contract with anyone but them. After several calls from GRC--whose employees were interested more in bully tactics than in conversation--I sent a letter via Certified Mail demanding no further telephone contact, and that any further communication be only in writing.

The letter was acknowledged, and the calls continued. I then contacted the Attorney General where I live. According to him, GRC denied all. The calls did stop, however--and I never did get the written communication I'd requested. Now the calls are starting again. No message left; just air if I answer). I AM willing see what we can negotiate. I've read from various sources that they have been successfully sued for ignoring requests to stop calling (and failure to follow up in writing); elsewhere I've read that suing them is futile.

If I were to sue them, it would not be for money; it would be to get them to comply with the law (although I could use the settlement to make them an offer..!).

Not sure what to do at this point. They ignore Certified Mail; they lie to the SAG.

• La
    Laurie Nov 19, 2008

3 things you must do

1. NEVER NEGOTIATE WITH DEBT COLLECTORS ON THE PHONE.

2. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission - citing FDCPA violations.

3. go www.budhibbs.com - a consumer advocate website.
    Lots of good info on how to deal with these bottomfeeders and links to qualified attorneys - many who will work on contingency.

I do not see this CA listed on their website, but you can add you complaint against them.

Collection Agencies - lie to the consumer - so of course they will lie to the AG as well.

• Pm
    PmK Nov 24, 2008

My son has dealt with these people before. I contacted an attorney's office that will assist you probono if you have any problems with this company. I will have to research to get the name of attorneys but will post them.

• Wi
    willie54 Jan 21, 2009

how do I contact Federal trade Commission in TN?. I am sick and tired of General Revenue Corp harassing me...saying that I can have my disability check detached from my monthly check.SII. what fools are these people, that Bully people. i became disabled 2001 and the student laon was for 2500 and I know I did not finish my college, had to drop out in 2001 took 1 semester. and now i have this burden, and its up to 4420..in dollars that is... how is the world can this much interest accrue in 7 yrs??? NO WAY! somebody please write back.. I am wondering what can be done to get them to stop this harassing.
    Thanks
    Will in TN

• Na
    natasha8945 Apr 03, 2009

I think this is the most unprofessional company I have dealt with in my life. They harrassed me and call me everyday even though they are garnishing my wages. I contacted and attorney and the attorney advised they cannot garnish my wages if I file head of the household withouth a courter order and if so they can only garnish up to 10% or so. He sent a letter to my employee as well as the grc corporation and my employer denied it stating is federal which supercedes states law . I guess because they are owned by the federal government. They took my tax refund which paid them in full and they are still garnishing my wages. I have called them and asked them to stop and they refused. My employer wouldnt accept the proof that I paid them off and states Grc would have to release me in order for the garnishment to stop. At this point, I would have to get an attorney involved. They took one account that i owed and split into two accounts so they could double the interest and are charging me 2000.00 just in one month. These people charge interest than a bank or loan corporation. I am loosing alot of things because they are taking money thats not owed, I will be reporting them to bbb and then contacting a lawyer asap

• Mo
    mo money Jun 16, 2009

what losers. anything to hide from your debts. get a job and pay. im tired of these sites to make u feel better about being a deadbeat. quit crying.

• Ju
    just meh Jun 18, 2009

General Revenue Corp collects on money owed to college and universities and federal student loans. When students default on money owed to a school it affects the funding they get from fafsa for other students to go to school so the dept of ed. allows schools to add 100% in collection costs and interest on top of that. Also if you withdraw or leave before you complete the semester you will lose all of your financial aid and will owe whatever that would have covered directly to the school yourself. Schools are NOT allowed to write anything off and have to report it as defaulted and lose more federal money the more students that default. So don't blame the collection agency trying to collect the money you owe to the school or the money you owe on your perkins or stafford or wdf loans, they have nothing to do with it. And yes it is legal to call everyday when you have an outstanding debt and if you decide to write a letter that says for them to contact you only in writing then they will have no choice but to sue you. They do NOT have to accept partial payments when in default the balance is always due in full. Think about when you refuse to setup payments, if you work you can be garnished up to 25%.

• Li
    libby1 Jul 02, 2009

wow, I was actually glad they called me because i have been out of school for over a year and havent been able to pay my student loans. This company called me and said they would help me consolidate all my loans and get a low interest rate and payments based off my income. I was excited now im wondering if it was to good to be true.

• Su
    Subzero23oj Jul 06, 2009

First of all PAY YOUR BILL!!! I am debt collector the best way to stop the calls is to pay your bill.
    Second, ask to set up a temp arrangment, in other words a payment plan. make a resonable offer and they will accept it.

If you did send a a letter for them to stop calling they should not be calling you that is one i do not understand. but they are people so maybe a new employee cannot read the do not call sign. Just call them up set up a payment month to month. this is the best way trust me.
    And do not say "I will Pay when I can". all this does is make us more mad and we will call you even more. JUST PAY!!

• Ev
    Evan403 Jul 09, 2009

I have to admit that dealing with GRC has been merely a pain mostly due to me now owing them money. Although I'm entirely not happy with having to do this, it is after all my fault. My loans went into default purely because I was deployed overseas in Iraq and lost good contact with Sallie Mae. It wasn't until I returned home from said deployment that I started to get countless calls from these people about my loans being in default. Initially they were asking for $550 in payments over two loans, which is ridiculous, but I was able to work with them to consolidate the loans bringing my payments down 30%. What I can't understand is the 6.88% Interest Rate on my loan through them. That almost added a third of my initial balance. I've been paying GRC for over a year now, why can't I refinance these loans? I understand they're a collection agency and were brought in for a purpose, but come on, I have a year of good standing now. Smaller balance/payments = easier to work with.

• Bo
    boutaswell Jul 18, 2009

Hey Subzero

If that's all I can do, that's all I can do. I am now attempting to repay a debt and treating me rudely only makes me more mad.

It seems the curmudgeons that own and run these corporations always fail to impart to their employees that they will get a more favorable response by being a bit nicer that acting like total ###S.

And to Evan403, all they did was to sucker you in. They now have a additional stream of income from your loan besides what they were being paid by the school.

Nonny A. Mouse Jul 25, 2009

@boutaswell: That's the issue. Everyone tends to be dickish period. No one has a modicum of respect anymore. Not the people that are being called, the companies, or the employees. If we are to point fingers we need to point at everyone. I have worked as a debt collector and the hideousness of people not owning up to their responsibility for a bill (or cell phone bill etc) is what is a major problem, to asking if a disability means they don't have to pay, etc all of this sours debt collectors (not absolving of their faults as admittedly many employees are less then aware of customer service but most don't have customer service experience unfortunately).

I've been in collections before and if you truly owe money and it was truly bought (from company to collection agency) then own up to it and work it out. That means being willing to disclose why you have to pay a certain amount a month. It worked when my dad was laid off and they explained to credit card companies (they had the sense to contact the companies before it was sent to collections) letting the company know of the situation and making a payment arrangement plan. Instead of saying "paying when I can" work with the company to see what you /can/ pay because creditors respect people who are working their darnedest to pay off a debt (like saying I can't pay 100 dollars a month, here's why and this is what I can actually pay-- say 50 dollars a month).

We can't ignore the fact that more than likely there are huge clauses that stipulate the necessity of a student to continue to go to school and failure to do so means that the terms of the contract (loan) is null and void. Meaning the loan as to have payments made immediately. More than likely most students don't know this so if anything schools should make this better known or help explain the loan contract better (because they're complicated as it is)... However if a student knows they have to pay and ignore they're given /plenty/ of time to start making payments. An example, while working at a collection agency I was working on Sprint and some of these accounts were 3 to 6 months past due with no attempt or action by the person.. at that point the fees are deserved because that's the consequence of inaction or lack of interest in paying off what is rightfully owed. Obviously the longer it's ignored then add late fees, interest, then processing fees for when a loan is moved from the lender to the collection agency.. but for that aspect the student has no one to blame but themselves.

Though I do want to make it clear that as much as debt collectors may need customer service training (and some are rude as heck--which is against the law and can be terms for a lawsuit!), people who are being called need to either own up to their end and remember to have manners and phone etiquette...

all of this drama and frustration stems from lenders and schools needing to make contracts much more better explained and explicitly making it known the need for educating oneself about loans, contracts etc, the need of educating oneself about the law and what it means for someone in collections, learning the absolute need of keeping all documentation from the original contract, to all letters that subsequently follow, and when paid off keeping that letter for life and the need of knowing how to fight a case in which the debt amount is incorrect.

(and yes you can find it ironic to find a 'past' debt collector that is not all filled with rage, rude, or unintelligent).

• Aj
    a_johnson1972 Jul 27, 2009

DO NOT PAY THE LOAN IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TOO! If you make arrangements to pay a loan from a third party and fail to make the arranged payment(s) on time, you have just given the third party creditor the right to extend the period of time the negative item will remain on your credit report. If you have a negative item on your credit report for 6 years and you decide to make an agreement with the creditor to pay it off, if you default, you will now have to wait another 7 years to have it removed under Fair Credit Guidelines.

DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT STATE THEY ARE PAST OR CURRENT BILL COLLECTORS! Collection agencies recruit and demand individuals with "strong personalities". Most third party bill collectors are paid commission, hourly pay, and some agencies have prizes to motivate their employee's . Please also note, that their performance reviews are based upon how much revenue they accumulate for the company. Please be aware that some collection companies are based as teams. The teams revenue is addded all together and they are awarded commisiions and prizes. Have you ever asked to speak to a Supervisor at a collections agency? Well, guess what? The Supervisor that you spoke too, was most likely a bill collector that was sitting next too the person you wern't satisfied with, or in the room, or on the same team as too try to make you perceive that you are speaking to a Supervisor, when in fact its just another bill collector with no authority trying to bring in revenue.

Have you ever wondered why bill collectors are so rude? They are under immesnse pressure too produce revenue. Its real easy to be fired from a collection agency if you are not producing revenue! Therefore, thats why you have these past and current bill collector employees that seem harsh when they give advice. Please be aware that all collection agencies have memebers of their teams (normally Managers) that search the Web for complaints about their company. They normally reply to complaints as if they are not directly associated with the complaint when responding.

In essence, research all Credit Laws, and never, ever, whatsoever, make an agreement with a collection agencyvia phone! Never, ever think that you are speaking to a memeber of a Management team of a agency! Lastly, let me reiterate, do not call a collection agency, always write via certified mail.

• Ne
    nessie12 Jul 28, 2009

I had someone call from this company at my work. I am a Irish citizen and have never taken out a loan in the US, I don't have a social security number and I wasn't born in 1970. I tried to tell the crazy person but she was too busy shouting. I have never had anyone so rude speak to me before, honestly and i've worked in an office for 10 years. I don't like people threatening me, i suppose i'll wait and see if she rings back...

• It
    ITTRUE! Jul 28, 2009

OH MY GOSH U GUYS ARE SO CRAZY GRC CALLED ME AND WAS VERY NICE ITS EASY PAY UR BILLS IT WILL HELP U OUT ON GETTING UR STUFF PAYED LIKE ME I PAY 125 A MONT AND MY BILLS ARE ALMOST PAYED

• Cr
    cruche Aug 31, 2009

My roommate has a Sallie Mae loan that she pays on as required every month; has never been more than a few days late, if at all. (Never even 30 days late.) Now, if she is ever late, even by a couple of days, this company calls everybody she knows and even my synagogue! (I am not a cosigner.)

I don't know why they spend so much money on a loan that is current, and has been current for its entire duration, and on a person with good credit. She has never consolidated (just has the one loan). So, this company is an unpleasant mystery.

• Bi
    BILL C*** Sep 16, 2009

I DONT KNOW WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE SO BOUND AND DETERMINED TO AVOID PAYING YOUR BILLS. 99.9% OF COLLECTORS ARE GOOD PEOPLE AND FOLLOW THE COLLECTION LAWS BY THE BOOK. EVEN IF YOU DO GET A BAD EGG CALLING YOU, WHICH IS VERY UNLIKELY, YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND THE LOANS. READ YOUR PROMISORY NOTE WHICH YOU SIGNED STATING ALL THE PENALTIES THAT COULD HAPPEN IF YOU GO INTO DEFAULT INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE A COMPLETE JERK TO SOMEBODY WHO IS DOING THEIR JOB. THEY NEVER FORCED YOU TO TAKE OUT THE LOAN.

GROW UP. ITS THE REAL WORLD. COLLECTORS ARE WORKING HARD WHILE YOU ARE LITERARLY STEALING

• 2n
    2ND RESPONSE Sep 19, 2009

Do not make contact with bill collectors via phone. Everytime you call them, they are updating their records. Always write them via certified return mail. If you agree to a contract with a collection agency and fail to repay the debt, you have just restarted the clock as it relates to how long the item will appear on your credit. You will have also given the collection agency the ability to sue you if you fail to make the agreed payments to them. When you make an agreement with a collection agency the debt becomes "a new debt".

Tip: Research the FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT laws.

Tip: Disregard the advice of employees's of collection agencies. ***hint; look at the comments of BILLC*** (good people as he suggest?)

Tip: I f you are disabled you are exempt from garnishments under most circumstances.

Tip: if you choose to make an agreement get it in writing, and remember, you have control over the situation not the collection agency.

• General Revenue began calling my office trying to locate a temp, part-time employee that worked for us. My role is office manager/receptionist. GR began harassing me and other employees – for the outstanding loan this temp employee. GR was horrid, demanded if I didn’t let them talk to someone in payroll – in order to garnish wages – demanded to know about me and my role, and said I must be hiding something because I said no. They wanted to know who I was and accused me of being her. We’re are a six-person firm, and I and our controller have spent more time on this incredibly illegal GR than we have on our business in the last few days. These people are professionals at intimidation and harassment. I have filed a complaint to the FTC and demanded they never call again. Icing on the cake -- they wanted to know why I was upset.

For anyone that gets a collection call from another employee – you do not need to even talk to these people. I wish I knew last week what I know now.

• Cr
    CraigAC Dec 22, 2009

I was just contacted from GRC and the arrangements they made have me paying more than I previously did. I really cannot afford the new payment but I am willing to pay something. They would not take anything else. If I do not agree to pay more they will garnish my wages. Do I have any recourse?

• Je
    Jersey Dude Jan 21, 2010

I called my lender and worked it out with them directly... GRC tried to bully me into paying off a said amount with a 19% fee attached to it. People should pay back their debt but not through them!! Speak directly with the lender and don't believe GRC when they say that they "purchased" the loan. They're liars and have harassed my family... they are completely unprofessional and trying to strong arm you. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posts are written by some of their people.

Margaret J. Salada Jan 22, 2010

These people have been making phone calls to my home phone day and night...it is very annoying, especially when you answer the phone, at a decent hour, and there is no one there!
    If they want to reach me, then, talk to me when I answer the phone!
    I call this Telephone Harrassment and I want it to stop!

• Tw
    twinboys Jan 22, 2010

keep getting phone calls from the same people/companyeither asking for my husband or just hanging up. How many times does it take for me to tell them my husband is DEAD before they get it!!! Very rude & annoying!!!

• Ga
    Garcia1221 Jan 31, 2010

All of you that are saying that GRC is bad that they haressed my family and me and calls dont stop...one thing you should do is pick up the phone talk to them tell them what is wrong and why you are not able to pay your loans and they will work with you...i have student loans with slm and general revenue help me put my loans on a forbearance they also said that i had the option of deferment which will make the goverment pay for my interest on my sub-loan so all you cry baby just pay your loans or talk and come into a plan with them so stop...all you that defaulted had 270 days to try to defer or put your loans on a forbearance ok...if you want to know just give grc a chance to talk and when they ask you for your info dont say "how do i now you r legit" hello they are owen by slm they have all your info already...so just shut up and make a plan with them so they can help you the last thing they want to do is take your money by force.

• Ga
    Garcia1221 Jan 31, 2010

GRC dose collections but they are also other deparments that dont do collections the one that help me was a loan management service which work with student to stop their loans into going into a default statis ok if you have questions just let me know and i will be more than happy to tell you more

• Er
    Ericpj Feb 22, 2010

I have a 16000 dollar loan with GRC the payments are high in the 600's monthly but that is fair considering they can sue me for the full amount. I have not been charged interest because I have made all my payments on time. Also when I made 11 consecutive payments on time they offered a settlement for half of the remaining balance. GRC is a fair debt collector just you need to play by their rules, you will never stop the phone calls and by law no lawyer can stop them you agreed to the calls when you signed the promissory note.

• Th
    Thomas300 Mar 12, 2010

You owe the Federal Govmnt for you student loans that company never told you to take out those loans you couldN'T pay back you LOW LIFE NO BILL PAYING BACK PIECE OF FKNG OWING THE GOVMNT AND TAX PAYER $$ BACK PIECE OF ### F.u.c.k. you.. A bill collector can call you anytime between 8am to 9 pm up to 4 times a day. Most of you complain about bill collectors, if you were responsible people you would n;t have to worry about that now would you, you stupid no college graduating mther fkr. You give real working people a bad name. F.U.C.K. YOU YOU HILLJACKREDNECK PIECE OF ### MTHE FKR WHO put your habits 1st and your bills later.. GO CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A FLYING ###, CALL 1-800 eat ### and die you ###.

• Mi
    middle aged man Mar 15, 2010

I just received two calls from General Revenue regarding employment history of a former employee of ours. I asked them to identify the purpose of the call and who they were. Basically they told me it was none of my business who they were and that it was against the law to not give them the information.

As an aside, I have provided supplies for collection company's as customers of our company, both previously and currently.

Collection's folk are a very tough crowd and do use bullying tactics to collect money. I would have to say the level of dishonesty and attitude given to me by GRC is about as bad as I have ever seen and heard. Having known the business owners at collection agencies, I have heard some of the "terrible tales" they have told me to collect money. Either from wicked competitors or their own list of horrors. The lack of integrity by GRC in two quick phone calls and not knowing who they were, along with their unwillingness to offer any information got me looking into their history online.

What I found is appalling. I would suggest that anyone talking to them find any means possible to deal with someone more reasonable. The only thing that will stop the bad behavior on their part is to tell them the person they are looking for is not home and to communicate via the US Mail.

BTW, the nicer things being said by the people above about collection agencies is probably coming from the GRC offices. Even the people in the collection industry that are nasty tell us how "God awful" these people are. I feel bad for my previous employee, because I know he is a good person who has obviously run into some financial problems and now he has the devil after him.

My suggestion is to contact the original creditor and explain that you will be glad to work something out, but not with GRC as the representative. You may find out that GRC is not really acting as a certified representative of the creditor, and you SHOULD not be dealing with them to begin with.

• Pa
    PAY UP SUCKA'S Mar 15, 2010

DONT YOU THINK THAT "THE DEVIL" IS A BIT MUCH... AND AS FAR AS NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT WAS CONCERNING... ITS REALLY NOT ANY OF YOUR BUISNESS, AS A BUISNESS OWNER YOUR SUPPOSED TO VERIFY EMPLOYMENT FOR PAST OR CURRENT EMPLOYEES... AND TO YOUR PAST EMPLOYEE THATS JUST SUCH A SWELL GUY... MAYBE HE SHOULDN'T DEFAULT ON HIS FEDERAL DEBT... HE HAD 270 DAYS TO PUT IT INTO A DEFERMENT OR TRY TO QUALIFY FOR FORBEARANCE... HE'S JUST A LAZY GUY!

ALL OF YOUR COMPLAINERS--------JUST PAY YOUR BILLS, ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY

• Pa
    PAY UP SUCKA'S Mar 15, 2010

AND UPON FURTHER RESEARCH, GENERAL REVENUE CORP HAS BEEN A BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU ACCREDITED BUISNESS SINCE JULY 1, 1986...

• Ia
    iamthatiam Mar 16, 2010

Are you people really living in real world reality??????? I am reading statements that are saying pretty much the same thing----- "just own up and pay your bill"..."just call them and they will work with you"... and further ; the comments from YOU BILL COLLECTORS, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves! When was the last time you ran to your family and asked them to fork out $1, 000's of dollars because you couldn't pay a debt? or had the utilities threaten to be turned off? I for one don't know anyone who has family rolling in dough! Most of us are barely making ends meet. We chose to go to college (and I am already had my degrees and profession) in order to obtain training in another area so that we could improve our income. Well, that doesn't always work out. Constant harassment by GRC is not going to solve anyone's problems. Further, just calling them is an exercise in a "fishing expedition" to obtain more information from you. And, to top it off, they still harass you! I tried to work out a payment plan, and in good faith gave them up to date information. I only receive $364. per month from my pension and a senior. So, they wanted to know where the money is spent!!! My meds alone (which I don't take if I can't pay them that month) are in the hundreds, food, and gas eat it up and that's all there is. And, so they want to know who is paying for my housing---NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS, and NO they are not going to get my husband involved- who is, by the way, laid off and not taking his own diabetic medicine, and WE ARE BOTH going to be homeless because our home is in foreclosure. Then to add to the stupidity of the inferences that I have WEALTHY RESOURCES, they asked me for 2 references. I asked for the reason, and was informed that "just in case we need to contact you", hello hello, hello--- obviously they are able to contact me, I AM ON THE PHONE WITH THEM NOW! And, the rep. says that they don't really call them anyway. About 3 months ago, my ex-husband of 27 years, informed me that GRC called his home and talked to his wife about my loan!
    I didn't even give anything with my ex-husband's name on any application- and he has an unlisted number!!! I told GRC that is my responsibility alone- and NO I am not giving any references. I asked for the mailing address so that I can send a payment that I can afford, and she said they wouldn't accept it. Well, I wrote a letter explaining the conversation, and made a commitment to pay the debt every month in the amount of $20 per month. I sent it to every address that I could found- the physical one, the accounting, and the PO box one. And, I faxed the letter with a copy of the written check directly to them. I have always insisted that it is my responsibility to pay my own debt. I will not be tricked into feeding these people information about any friends, family, spouse etc. I will not have them contacted or harassed. And, I do know legally, my spouse is NOT responsible., further HIS INCOME IS IRRELEVANT! So, bill collectors reading this, don't even bother telling me that his income counts towards affordability. It's just like a credit card- unless it is jointly obtained- he is not financially liable. And, GRC IS NOT LEGALLY able to garnish him at all! So those threats are a waste of time. I myself do not own anything- the house is not mine- I am not on any financial or deed documents. I will make the payments on time as I committed to and in the amount I agreed to. Whether they send them back or not doesn't matter. I make copies, and have a certified receipt of each month. And, if necessary, I will have my day in court- any judge (federal, as I am aware) will see that I have made the effort to do the responsible thing.

• Df
    dfgdf30 Mar 16, 2010

NATASHA, I GUESS YOUR LAWYER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT HUH? I bet that stings.. should have called to see what you could do. If its a student loan, there are options for everyone, even the homeless. You just need to get off your butt and call them, explain your situation and they can help. Better yet, get a J-O-B. If you owe a student loan, you are taking money away from the students who want to go to school and will repay their loans.

• Df
    dfgdf30 Mar 16, 2010

oh yeah, also once it goes from grc to the dept of ed. watch out, they will place a judgment against you and put leins on your property. so if u think u can get away with it...sorry.. they never go away...

• Ju
    justtrynamakeit Apr 01, 2010

I am currently dealing with GRC and I must say I have dealt with the rudeness and the attitude. I am currently unemployed because of my son's medical condition and only have his SSI payments to rely on so the payment of $152 a month is a hardship for me and my family. I understand that I have to pay on my debt which I have no problem doing but for a reasonable monthly payment. For all of those on here who say this company is willing to work with you are truly mistaken or have been dealing with a different GRC because the one I have been dealing with basically has been bullying me from the start. What is crazy to me is that my student loan ( that I knew NOTHING about) was only in default for a few weeks before GRC "took on" my account and started charging me outrageous interest rates. It took me calling 7 different companies before I was able to find out any information on my account and before I was finally directed to GRC. When I did finally speak to one of their representatives I tried to explain my situation to her and she put me on the phone with her supervisor who basically told me I had to pay by the end of the month or they were going to garnish my husband's wages and take my tax return. Now mind you this was around the 20th of that month and I didnt have any money coming in. They told me I had to pay $200 a month and if I didnt pay that by the end of the month I would not be offered any other monthly payments and would have to pay my loan amount in full which is by their records $13, 000. So yes I had to pay the $200 because I clearly dont have $13, 000 just laying around and if I did I sure wouldn't be owing them any money. This has become a true burden to me because now I cannot finish school because I cannot get any fin. aide, which by the way is how I found out about the loans in the first place. For all of you talking about get off your butts and get a job and pay your debts, go to hell because nowadays it is not that easy to even find jobs and some of us have other circumstances that play a part such as mine with my disabled 9month old baby!!! The problem is companies like GRC have no heart and aren't willing to work with people who assume the responsibilty and are willing to pay their debts.

• At
    Attorney Harvey Rephen May 28, 2010

The best ay to deal with this type of harrassment and abuse is to sue them under the FDCPA. If you would like to speak to me I can be reached at 212.796.0930.
    regards,
    Attorney Harvey Rephen
    Consumer Protection Advocate

• Ad
    adfbakdbk Jun 24, 2010

you all need to understand that when you went to college and didnt pay anything and applied for fasfa you applied for a loan and yes when your loan goes into default that it is turned over to the guarntour and they [censor] the fees up to 25% of balance then your intrest goes to a daily intrest and YOU signed for it when you applied for fasfa... all that these people are trying to do is do there job so that they dont end up in the same situation... grc is a third party agencey and cannot asseses any fees and are done so by the client... read the promissary note you signed if you were smart enough to keep it... you signed up for everything you get when you went to school and didnt pay for it out of pocket

• Do
    doggie87 Jun 25, 2010

hmmm... well, i was contacted by GRC and Direct Loans. Are there any other options besides signing up with them? I got a little suspicious about this whole thing when they insisted on over-nighting the contract via UPS and then having it picked up from my house and over-nighted back to them... If I have defaulted on a Federal Student Loan, what are my options? Do I have to pay though GRC? Thanks.

• Gr
    grchater Jul 21, 2010

most of the people who work there are [censor]s..some are good but there are some really stupid things that go on there as far as managment goes and it stresses the employees out like you woulnd't believe..alot of the chicks there take pills for it..glad i'm not there anymore

• Wh
    Whitman Aug 09, 2010

Qualifications for employment as a debt collector at GRC

High school diploma (or equivalent)
    Six months of previous customer service experience, preferably in a call center environment
    Excellent verbal communication skills
    Proven negotiation, counseling and problem solving skills and demonstrated time management skills.

With these tough and professional qualifications it is hard not to feel sorry for them. Do not blame them for their attitude. That is the best job they will ever have in their life. They do not understand what is a college education, because they had never put a foot on a university not even a technical school. Its not their fault they did not want to go beyond a high school diploma or a GED. That was all their brains could afford. If they do not get you to pay by whatever means possible, they will get fired. They work on commissions and the more money they make the more their team will get production bonuses and those special awards. They had never faced financial hardships in their life and much less family health problems. They pay all their bills 100% and on time. That is why they can call and harass you even if you are in the poorhouse, disabled or you can not get, as they say, a J-O-B. They can not understand things that are so foreign to them.
    Have pity on them, collections is their bacon and beans for the rest of their life, that is why they are so tough. So, please, have a heart, understand their positions in this matter, because you can not make a rock bleed.

joans84 Aug 28, 2010

This company has called our home number more than 40 times. They are looking for Justine Stewart, a person we do not know. Nor have we ever heard of her. I have told them this numerous times that we have no information. Yet they continue to call at least once a day - sometimes 3 times a day.
    There is a disabled person in this household that is very upset with these calls.
    Can you help us?

Thanks!
    J. Donald

• Da
    Darr Aug 29, 2010

The next time they call be very polite and get all of the information you can from them about there company and the name of the person calling. Once you have written down everything you can get out of them. Inform them that you are going straight to the FCC website and file a formal complaint. Don't bluff. Follow through and make the offical complaint. I have had this happen due to some of my children and step children moving in and the back out. Collectors start calling. This stopped them.