Fireside Thrift and Loan — Harassment and malicious business prectices

M

I got an auto loan with Fireside in 1995 for a used jeep with 15, 000 miles where the principal was 10, 800. All I have ever wanted was a jeep, so when they said they HAD to charge me a rate of interest that brought my loan balance to 24, 000 because of an old bankruptcy that had not been removed from my credit, eventhough it had been discharged, I agreed to the loan with the stipulation that they proposed upon making my payments for 1 year on time, we could renegotiate for a better rate. After one year, I called to renegotiate and they said and I quote "If you did not get that in writing then you are ### out of luck!" I busted my ### to make thos payments for that year based on that stipulation, of course I started falling behind. I was a single parent. The harassment at work and at home by phone was inconceivable. They repossessed my car twice, the first time I hired an attorney that screwed me over, the second time I just gave up. At the time of my second repossession I had paid them 17, 500 and they supposedly sold the car for 5, 000. By my calculations that's 22, 000 towards this loan in which I do not have a car, In 2007, they garnished my wages this contributed another 2-3 thousand against that loan. When I went to get another car loan with Santander, Fireside put the original loan amount of 10, 800 on my credit for 2007 as if it were a new loan that I had defaulted on, which made my Santander loan outrageous payments of 663.00, I lost my job from the stress and eventually defaulted on that loan. I keep receiving threats to garnish my wages again from them. My mother co-signed for the Fireside loan and they have been harassing her as well. I think I do not owe them anymore money and I think they owe me a car. I am paraying to find an attorney that agrees with me.

• Pa
    PATRICIA VARELA Aug 28, 2013

I believe Fireside is a no good cheap and car loan lender liar creditors its best to get a direct loan from your bank or save up the amount of the car u wish to someday buy by putting the funds away monthly as if u were all ready making car payments. Trust me by blink of eye your goal will b reached i am a single parent and i did it by staying optamistic. As for fireside thrift and loan company IS HORRIBLE THE STAFF IS RUDE AND UNPROFESSIONAL AND EVEN KEEP RECORDS OF BACK PAYMENTS TO YOUR CAR LOAN AWAY FROM YOUR REACH BECAUSE THERE MISSION IS TO RACK UP CHARGES ON YOUR ACCOUNT LATER AFTER YOUR CAR PURCHASE !!! HOW SAD OF A COMPANY NOT TO MENTION TACKY !!!

• Kp
    kpchessman Feb 23, 2013

As usual there are three sides to a story: yours, theirs, and the truth. As a former employee I can tell you that they never told him he was "s*** out of luck", but it is good advice to get things in writing anyway. Customers rarely read the contract they sign so when things start to happen they are unaware of the procedures. Obviously there are some mathematical calculations that are not included in order for this customer to come up with the correct figure. Proceeds from a sale go towards the loan, but there are also fees charged (everyone wants a slice of the pie) by the repo man, the auction company, dmv, etc... The resulting balance is called a "deficiency" and is the responsibility of the customer even if they do not have the vehicle.

Since a bankruptcy had already been filed in the past, this particular customer has had experience with credit issues, collection calls, and not paying his bills on time. Customers need to take responsibility for their actions and to honor their contracts. Things happen in life. Unfortunately... but the best thing to do is work with your creditors and agree on a payment plan in order to eliminate the phone calls. When customers avoid their creditors the problem will not go away until it is either paid or it becomes a legal issue.

Your credit is important. Good credit opens many doors as it is a positive reflection of the individual. Bad credit can be construed poorly and therefore limits someone's opportunity.

Good luck on handling this situation.

• Da
    DanielleLS Mar 27, 2012

I had car loan with them years ago. Fell behind and they now call me at least 12 times a day everyday over and over. Grounds for lawsuite. Sorry sobs

Comment Guidelines