Fast Growing Trees NurseryFalse Advertising

F

I ordered 5 hybrid poplar trees from this company. They advertise them as 3 to 5 feet tall. None of the trees were even 3 feet tall. One was 28 inches. In circumference, they were less than the size of a pencil. They looked like twigs with a couple leaves on them. The way they were shipped was they were tossed in cardboard boxes with no anchoring at all. They apparently bounced around in the boxes during shipment. 3 of them arrived broken. I called the company. They told me to send them photo's of the broken trees. I did. They then decided that only 2 of them were broken so they offered to send me 2 replacement trees. I told them I didn't want any of them because NONE of them were 3 to 5 feet tall as advertised on their website. They then wanted more photo's showing the trees next to a measuring tape. I sent those. In that photo, you can clearly see the trees are NOT 3 feet tall, let alone 3 to 5 feet. I asked if they even had trees that were 3 to 5 feet and if they didn't, please refund my money. They advised they have a NO REFUND POLICY. I pointed out that under Federal Trade Commission rules, if they can't ship me what they advertised, they have to refund my money and since they obviously didn't have trees that were 3 to 5 feet tall, I wanted a full refund. After not hearing from them for several more days, I sent them another e-mail and advised that I had filed a complaint with the North Carolina Attorney General's office, Consumer Protection Department. I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I got an e-mail back stating they were refunding my money, which they did do.

Today, I received a copy of the letter they sent to the NC Attorney General's office in response to my complaint to the Consumer Protection Department. It is so incredibly full of lies, it isn't even funny. Lie # 1, they said only 2 of the trees were damaged as a result of FedEx shipping. Not true. 3 of them were damaged. And they weren't damaged as a result of FedEx. They were damaged because they were packed so poorly. Lie # 2, she said that I refused any free replacements. Not true. I refused 2 replacement trees. I wanted all 5 trees replaced with 3 to 5 foot trees, which is what they advertised. Lie # 3, She said all of the trees were "well over 3 feet tall. Not true. One of them is 28 inches. None of them are 3 feet. Lie # 4. She said they offered me a discount to make me happy. They NEVER offered me any discount at all. Lie # 5, She said I refused to return the trees to them. Not true. I have the e-mail where I asked them to advise me when FedEx would be picking them up so I could repack them. I never heard from them.

Since I got a refund, I would have let this drop until these idiots wrote to the Atty General's office with this letter full of lies. I've now written back to the Atty General's office pointing out every single lie and requested that this company be investigated for false advertising and deceptive trade practices.

Bottom line, don't order from this company. You won't get what you think you're going to get from the ads they have on their website. Not to mention, what they charged me for these twigs with leaves was absurd. $29.95 and I swear, it looks like they cut some thin branches off a real tree and stuck them in a pot or something.

• We
    Wendy Sea Sep 12, 2008

An Unfortunate Honest Mistake
    It was unfortunate that the wrong size tree was sent to Faye and we do aplogize that the mistake was made. The complete amount of her order was refunded shortly after her notifying us. We were notified on 6/19/2008 and the money was refunded 6/25/08. When this amount was refunded we were still not sure that she had indeed received the wrong tree.

We will always strive to find better ways of shipping packages as well as better techniques of packing. We do our very best to educate our employees on these procedures, unfortunately mistake will occasionally still happen.

Faye did send us photos. We could not get an accurate perspective of height from the photos. Nor did we realize one of the photos she sent with a tape measure was of a tree that was intact and had not suffered shipping damage.

We do not use deceptive advertising. This is another area we frequently update to better inform the customer. One example of this would be the Willow Hybrid page.
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/WillowHybrid.htm which clearly states 'they may not look like much... they look like young bare-root, thin trees.'

In her complaint Faye made no mention of her previous order of over $400. I do not believe if we had been practicing deceptive advertising that she would have placed a new order 5 months later.

We have a very well laid out website clearly stating all of our Terms of Service and Replacement Guarantee. On the check out page it clearly states by submitting your order you are agreeing to our Terms of Service. You can review the Terms of Service and Replacement Guarantee at:
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/TermsOfService.htm &
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/Guarantee.htm

Wendy Sea
    Customer Service Manager

• Yu
    Yuki Kinjo Oct 15, 2008

Do Not Order through fast-growing-trees! I've had a Terrible experience with them.

I have similar experience with fast-growing-tree nursery.

I've ordered a Royal Empress tree and a Eucaryptus tree.
    First of all, they took like one week to send the trees after ordering online.
    When I received the trees, Royal empress tree was so small. They advertise the tree size will be between 6 inch to 2 feet but it was cleary not even 6 inch. It was 4-5 inch with two little leaves. I couldn't believe how small the tree was and didn't even look like a tree.
    But I figured since it's a fast growing tree, it should grow quickly. Therefore, I planted according to instruction.

Within a few days after being planted, the tree was cleary dying so I sent email to the nursery asking what I should do. I sent email to [protected]@fast-growing-trees.com. All I got was an auto-reply to notify me that they have received my email. Four days later, no response.

By that time, the tree was totally dead. It was actually a fast dying tree instead of a fast growing tree. So I took a pic of the tree and sent to the same email address again. Another four days, no response. Then I realized, they note that they don't respond to email that was send to wrong email address. They have four different email addresses, very confusing.

So I decided to send another email to all of their email address they provide. [protected]@fast-growing-trees.com;[protected]@fast-growing-trees.com; [protected]@fast-growing-trees.com;[protected]@fast-growing-trees.com This time asking for refund or replacement.
    Customer service should take care of all issues or at least forward my email to the right department.

Then I got reply from [protected]@fast-growing-trees.com (how do I know if I need to send my email to billing department while they have customer service and replacement email address?) saying they only have received one of two previous emails that I sent (I've got auto-reply mail from each email that I sent, so I know it reached them.) Lie!

I found out that they replace the tree for $10 fee and no refund. Why do I have to pay another $10 for replacement while other local nursery have 1-year guarantee for free?
    But I asked if they can send bigger size tree (not like 5 inches), so that it won't die again.
    They replied with me that they can replace the tree but no guarantee on sizes. It will be 6inch to 2 feet.
    AND there is no future replacement. Basically, I don't have any choice. I can't ask them to send bigger size tree nor have option for future replacement nor refund. Very poor customer service.

So, they charged $10 for replacement and it's been a week since they placed for replacement.
    The tree still hasn't been shipped yet.

It's been for three weeks since I initially requested for replacement.
    I sent another email asking when the tree will be shipped and I'm not happy with their service.
    The reply I got was, "Sorry you feel that way. Your replacement will ship on Monday. "
    Just plain one line sentence. That was their reply.

I will have to wait another 5 days plus shipping time to get this little tree?
    It doesn't even state why it is delaying or I'm not even sure which Monday.
    At this point, I don't even know if they are going to send me replacement.

Fast-growing-tree nursery totally runs poor business and has poor customer service.
    I'll never place order with them and don't order through Fast-growing-tree nursery.

Cherioer Jun 09, 2009

SIMPLE BUYER BEWARE.
    They are very deceptive, so be warned.
    I did not receive a tree, but a very poor clone.

Now looking for a seed grown tree.

Remember always ask questions.

Comments

• I just received the same twig clone Empress trees that the above customer did, they are not more than four inches some of them and the stalks, maybe 1/4 inch wide. WOW I just paid 24.00 bucks a pop for these little twigs. All of them but one are broken, it's only day one but I don't see these things surviving. This is NOT what I thought I was ordering. I expected a tree with an actual started trunk that was just cut down for shipping. They were horribly packaged and STAPPED to the side of the box. Now I get long stem red roses all the time and never had one arrive from PRO FLOWERS all trashed like this. They don't package well AT ALL. BUYER BEWARE!!! I am going to the BBB too!

• Empress trees, stalks not any bigger than a long stem red rose...what a rip off!

• Ba
    bad trees Aug 20, 2009

I ordered a Crepe Maple that arrived dried up with 10 crispy leaves. I sent pictures, and sent emails and was promised a reply after reviewing my pictures. I'm still waiting. I will plant this dried up $100.00 twig I bought myself for my birthday and hope that something comes or it. Do not buy from these people. They don't have good stock and their policy stinks. Live and learn. Just pass on the bad press. Eventually they'll go out of business.

• Wh
    What a bunch of Crape! Aug 22, 2009

Just received a Crape Myrtle today from fast growing trees ordered through Brightest Blooms and couldn't stop laughing when I opened the box...I felt so stupid for paying all that money for two twigs...with a bunch of diseased dried up leafs...I have never bought a tree on line but when I read their advertisement is states "When you buy trees from Brighter Blooms Nursery, you get the added value of better root systems so you’ll be enjoying beautiful blooms right away." So I guess I was expecting to see a tree soon to start blooming...WOW...Have we been had by this company. Can't wait to talk to them on Monday after reading all the above reviews...I'm sure they will be really helpful! NOT!!!

• Fo
    FOD Barrel Aug 25, 2009

I bought two Summer Red Maples less than a year ago and the warrantee, as stated in their web site, was that they would replace any tree for half price if it died within the first year. Well one of them did die. I submitted their "Replacement Tree Application" per their website and after no response I called them on [protected]. Their suppossed Customer Service Manager said their warranty policy had changed since July and that I was no longer qualified to received any consideration. I asked to speak to his manager and he said that he was it. The trees were suppose to be 7 ft + and weren't but I overlooked that. My mistake. Hopefully I can help other people in not making the same mistake I did. DO NOT BUY FROM FAST GROWING TREES NURSERY UNLESS YOU JUST FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO BE CHEATED!!!
    Jim in Texas

• Va
    vanderla Mar 29, 2010

Thanks for the warnings - I was going to order from them. No way now!!! My order rang up at $1100. - too much money to risk on crap.

thanks

• Wh
    What a bunch of Crape! Mar 31, 2010

We bought a crape myrtle last June and received a twig. We planted it, cared for it, babied it ...only to find out this spring that it didn't make it. The twig is now as dry as a dead twig gets and they will not honor the warranty that was in place at the time because their return policy has changed since the time that we bought it !!! We have never heard of such shady business...to say this company does not have integrity is kindly said. We hope at a minimum this information will help someone understand the risk involved with ordering trees from this website...we suggest you deal with a local greenhouse instead...what you see in the pictures is not at all what you get from Fast Growing Trees.

• To
    Tom in NC Apr 06, 2010

I was impressed with their web site. After reading these reviews, I will not be ordering from them

• Dt
    dtoro Apr 15, 2010

I agree with you about their website its pretty slick. The tree that I recieved was NOT the picture on the website, but a stick with a few roots. If I knew that I was going to get an underdeveloped clone bare roots wraped in paper taped to the side of the box it was shipped in I would have NEVER have ordered from this company. Local nurseries are the way to go for sure.

Sarris May 26, 2010

Do not order from this company!!! Check out your local nursery first! I also ordered from this company last year in June 2010. I ordered a Green Thuja Giant 1-2 foot tree for $32 (includes shipping). It came basically as a barely rooted broken off twig in a very small plastic container...the twig itself was only about 1/2 in diameter at its thickest. I planted it and it grew some over the summer and into the Fall. A year later, it is still growing a little. While it is taller than before, it is not really filling out at all. I was looking to order at least 6 more of these trees for my backyard and decided to check out some more local nurseries to see if any had Green Giants in stock this year (last year they didnt have any in stock except for 6-8 footers). A local nursery in my area had several 4 foot Thuja Green Giants in 3 gallon containers for just $19.99! (Note: the 4 foot height I am referring to is the actual height of the tree above the container). These 4 footers are very full with many branches and thick stumps. I couldn't believe it! If I had known that this is what the younger Thuja Green Giants were supposed to look like I would have been very angry when my online order from Fast Growing Trees Nursery arrived. What was sent to me from Fast Growing Nursery looked like just one of the hundreds of branches that are on the 4 foot tree at my local nursery. I have a feeling it will be years before my tree from "fast-growing trees nursery" will ever even reach the size and fullness of the ones that I found at my local nursery. I feel like Fast Growing Trees Nursery did the exact opposite of what they state on their website.

Here is what the website claims:
    "Beware... all Thuja Green Giants are not the same. Some nurseries sell newly rooted, Thuja branch cuttings as plants. Thuja Giants are a hybrid and don’t grow from seed. They are started by planting branch cuttings.

We take these rooted cuttings and grow them in large pots for a full 1-2 years longer than our competitors, depending on the size of the tree. This way you get a hardy, well developed root system that is ready to support rapid growth.

Many nurseries try to sell you newly rooted Thuja branch cuttings as evergreen trees. They’re not only delicate, but you’ll see very little growth the first year. They have to establish a stronger root system first. Often these are sold as “bare root” or in small pots."

We understand that you don’t want to wait for your trees to grow. You can be assured that when you order from Fast Growing Trees Nursery, you are getting the highest quality, fastest growing Thuja Green Giants available."

Fast Growing Trees Nursery sent me a newly rooted "delicate" Thuja branch cutting in a small pot. No way was the twig they sent me grown 1-2 years longer than their competitors! Their site puts on a good show, but in the end this Nursery does not produce what they advertise. The prices are outrageous for the actual product they send you. I am so relieved that I went to a real local Nursery and found true established trees worth planting (and for a lot less $ too!).

• Ct
    ctbcomplain Aug 11, 2010

Note the bizarre responses the company posts in these complaint comments. They never really acknowledge their poor quality and service and usually make no attempt at all to reach out to resolve the issue, instead relying on their "policy" and "website" to back them up. Quality customer service doesn't mean saying that you don't care about the customer's issue because there's no policy for it.

This company is the first I've ever dealt with where I'm actually requesting a chargeback be processed from the credit card company. The quality the product I received from them was so bad that I simply find it beyond unacceptable. Buyer beware... there are a lot of complaints against them and the same couple of issues keep coming up. Obviously there will be problems with any company, but when the same complaints come up over and over again in reviews, there's probably a reason behind it.

• Gm
    gmlongo Aug 16, 2010

I just received my 3 "trees", and I could not be more disappointed. I paid $250 for 3 twigs that have trunks that are thinner than my pinky...and no branches. Unbelievable. I would expect a 5-7 foot tree to actually resemble a tree, but what I received looks more like a bare twig stuck in the ground.

• Om
    Omamirah Oct 13, 2010

Wow thank GOD I did my research before buying!! My order would have been $2, 100 I guess I will check my local nursery thx!!

• Ro
    Robert Surprenant Mar 27, 2011

Yes this is a bad deal for every consumer. I purchased the bundle package along with their starter kit. I planted each "twig" according to specifications their broucher describes and watered accordingly: NOTHING. Nothing has taken root for 1 year now. Buyer beware.

Kevin in NM Apr 05, 2011

Oh No!!! I just ordered over $200 worth of shrubs from this company and, after reading all these complaints, I wish I hadn't. They are supposed to arrive in 2 days. I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed...

Kevin in NM Apr 14, 2011

Well I received my shrubs. They came in one box and were actually packaged fairly well. Each one was in it's own pot and they were wrapped in plastic bags to help retain moisture. That being said, the shrubs are extremely small for the price. I could have gone to Home Depot and bought virtually the same type of shrub, paid the same price, but would have ended up with a plant that was 10 times larger. I don't think that I got my money's worth but I certainly didn't get burned as bad as some of the other people who have listed complaints about this company. I will chalk this experience up as a lesson learned and never buy plants online again. Honestly, the more you think about buying plants online, the dumber it sounds. Go to a local Home Improvement store or Nursery and buy your plants there. That way you see what you are paying for BEFORE you fork out the cash.

Also, I have confirmed what another person wrote regarding the company's "Free Shipping" promotion. They ALWAYS have free shipping but they have a banner at the top of their website that says something like "Free FedEx Delivery. Ends Thursday at Midnight". That banner never changes. It's just a way of creating a false sense of urgency so the potential customer won't think about how stupid it is to order plants online, they'll just think "...oh man, I gotta hurry up and place my order if I want to get free shipping!" It's a gimmick, but a completely legal one because they really don't tell you which Thursday the Free Shipping ends on. It could be this Thursday or it could be the 25th Thursday in the year 2050...

Bottom line, don't buy plants online. It's just a dumb thing to do.

• Ri
    Rinaldo Apr 19, 2011

I was so close to ordering 2 pink dogwoods. Thank God I decided to read the reviews. I'm going to save myself the headache and leave this site. I'll be shopping at the local nursery. Thanks for being honest and posting your experience. While it's probably too late to help you, your comments help to inform potential buyers.

• Ra
    Raquel Milioto Apr 20, 2011

I ordered 7 leyland cypress trees and when i got them in they looked like skinny little twigs not a 5 foot tree without root system what so ever
    9as I was told)!!! I called that day and left a message, no one called back, I emailed a couple of days later and no response . I called about 3 times in between and their systen was down! Finally, a week later I get in touch with someone and they tell me oh well there is nothing that can be done a week later. What was I supposed to do, He apologized for the system being down. I paid $85 a tree Brighter Blooms website was $65 I decided to go with Fast growing trees because of the wedsite picures adn thought I would get a fuller, mature better looking tree...I DID NOT! And now what can I do after spending $600 on twings????????????? NOTHING! DO NOT ORDER FROM FAST GROWING TREES!!!
    What a mistake shopping online for trees!

• Do
    DougD May 10, 2011

Oh and they even blamed me for not getting a full credit because I didn't call in within the first 48 hours.

• Do
    DougD May 10, 2011

I ordered at tree that arrived as nothing more than a twig. I planted it anyway and that was my mistake. I let the weekend lapse and then called 4 business days after receiving the shipment to be told to keep it planted and call them back after a few weeks if there has been no progress to get a replacement. I followed those instructions only to find out when I called back that they will only give me 75% of the cost towards the replacement. When I said how absurd that was since they sent me a dead tree and asked for a refund I was told they do NOT refund purchases. I'll be filing a complaint with the FTC and my Attorney General's office and requesting an investigation into false advertising.

• Sp
    SpiderX May 19, 2011

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Soooooooooo much for posting your comments/complaints. I was browsing for a promo code and came across this website. I immediately deleted my order and hopefully I will be able to find a Little Gem in my local nursery; I live in St Pete FL, so I hope it wont be hard.

• Gh
    G. Heaney May 26, 2011

I was told they sent me a hydranagea that was water damaged on the leaves by the excessive rain. If this is so, why wouldn't they mention on the website that their stock had water damage to give the consumer a chance to not deal with caring for a stressed plant. This is clearly deceptive advertising on their part if they know that and don't mention it on their website. They refuse to replace this because it is a "live plant" and should come back in 2-3 weeks. I would never, never do business with them again. Buyer Beware!

• Gh
    G. Heaney May 27, 2011

I also got a willow tree and the trunk is about the size of a pencil. Maybe it will survive but this nursey doesn't seem to care about what kind of shape their things are in. I just had to add this to my previous comment.

Don't give them a chance to take advantage of you. Just don't order anything from them because they won't refund your money and if you decide to return something not up to par, they take a 25% restocking fee (when you had no part in the problem) and make you pay to ship it back to them.

• Gj
    GJD010101 Jun 07, 2011

Wish I found this website before I ordered. Save your money! Go somewhere else.
    I ordered my Maple with a 2-3 week delivery date. After 3 weeks with no tree and no update I called the 800 number. The 800 number advises to submit questions online. I did and got no reponse. So I called and got in line, long line that day as there were 10 complainers ahead of me. I finally got through and was told that the tree was just shipped to the NC site from there TN farm and it would come to me in 7-10 days because it need to get another few inches to meet the 5 feet requirement. Now what is that. Just let that sink in for a moment.. So I waited another 2 weeks with nothing coming. So I called again and was told it would be shipped in another 7 days. Finally 10 days later it came. No shipping confirmation as promined. When the box was opened, remember what I saide earlier, about it needing to grow another couple inches, I don't know what kind of growing seasons you all have down there, but that thing hasn't seen a shoot this year. The roots were DRY! they were wrapped in a plastic bag with no peat or spagnum to help hold SOME moisture on tose roots. That is poor nursery practice! I am not optimistic about this thing but I will baby it to try and get it to come out. Oh and the 3 free strawberry plants, ha, they didn't deliver on that either... instead I got a 15 dollar coupon because they ran out of strawberries, and the coupon could be used for my next purshase. That won'y be happening. Gotta go, heading to the BBB website.

CHRIS WHARRY Jun 10, 2011

I purchased a Meyer Lemon Tree for Mothers day. When I opened the box the tree was recieved in, I found the tree with withered leaves and a dry root ball. I planted the tree and watered it thinking that all it needed was a little TLC. I went to the website where it said to do a scratch test to see if the stem was still green and it was. The tree began to loose its leaves on day 5. I the customer service rep who told me to just continue to water it and it would perk up and buds would begin to form in the next two to three weeks. I called Fast Grwoing trees 3 weeks later to tell them the tree was pretty much dead and I wanted a replacement. I was told by the rep that because I hadn't called in the first 48 hrs that I would not recieve a 100% credit and they issued no refunds. I was told that if I submitted the replacement tree application that within 2 weeks someone would make a decision on whether they would issue a 75% voucher but that I the customer would have to pay shipping costs on the replacement tree. I spoke with Allison the customer service manager who stated that is their policy. Nowhere on their website does it indicate that you must call within 48 hrs, to recieve a 100% replacement. Fast Growing Trees misrepresents their policies. I found their customer service reps to be rude and Fast Growing Trees to be involved in deceptive practices. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. BELOW ARE PICS OF THE TREE I RECIEVED 2 DAYS AFTER RECIEVING.

• He
    heather in PNW Aug 20, 2011

I completely agree with Kevin in NM. My order was half fine, half terrible, the customer service is the worst I've ever experienced, a bad-faith company ended up with some of my money they don't deserve, and I could have avoided the entire ordeal by not buying plants on-line in the first place. I ordered two plants: the ficus arrived in good shape, and the size was as advertised; the rhododendron arrived dead. I have many rhodies, know a dead rhody when I see one, know how to revive almost dead rhodies, know how to prep soil and give a good watering regimen in the dry Summers here. Fastgrowingtrees will not replace my plant, nor give me a refund. First they said: it's been over-watered (with ten leaves on the thing when it arrived, total), then they said: wait 2 - 3 weeks to see if it comes back. Then they said (after 3 weeks): we can't see the photo you are now attaching, we can't do anything. So this ugly dead thing has been in my landscape for 3+ weeks because I kept thinking they would honor their word. Nope. They win. They are con artists. Don't order from them.

• St
    StaceyJ May 06, 2012

I am also disappointed in my purchases from fast-growing trees. My first was with the Norway Spruce trees that they shipped, the ad shows this big ful spruce trees and they ship you twigs; which died after being planted. My mother purchased trees for me to help create a privacy fence. It was a total of 7 willow hybrid trees that are advertised as being 5-7 feet tall. Well we received 5ft tall twigs; some without any leaves on them. We wish we had seen these reviews before purchasing anything from this company that ships twigs for high prices. Our Leyland Cypress trees are now dying as well; we planted those in the fall with planty of protection and mulch but the leaves are now turning brown and drying out like the Norway Spruces.

angrygardner May 08, 2012

I ordered an apple tree, received an apple stick. It was an overgrown sapling at best. Certainly not worth the $75 they charged. The top was broken and wilted and the main leader stem was completely pruned off. they told me to send it back (on my 3rd request for replacement.) Supervisor never called me back. Told them I wasn't going to waste any more money shipping this stick across the country. Stopped payment on my credit card. DO NOT BUY FROM FAST GROWING TREES. GO TO YOUR LOCAL NURSERY AND SAVE YOURSELF A MASSIVE HEADACHE. THIS PLACE SUCKS.

Ken Windu Jul 02, 2012

I've learned my lesson. Paid more than 100$ for a supposedly 4-6ft crape myrtle.from fastgrowingtree.com and got a little twig no more than 3.5 ft long. For the same price, I would have gotten a full grown tree at a local nursery. I planted the twig anyway figuring that there was little chance of getting my money back without a lot of hassle. Four months later, the twig now has a few leaves but fast growing it is not!

Never ever again buying anything from fastgrowingtree.com!

• Zj
    ZJM Jul 05, 2016

I wish I saw this before I bought mine...