EOS CCACollections Fraud

I received a letter at my Great-grandmother's address where I lived in high school, twenty six years ago. It states I owe AT&T $745.32. This is physically impossible, as I now reside in the UK. My AT&T account was closed almost a year ago and there is no outstanding balance. What's more, I've never had a phone bill that high in my crabbed 43 years,

Be very wary of this company and these letters, which look extremely official. Something is not right here.

ChrisM85 Jun 17, 2012

Hi bach1369,

EOS CCA is a well known collection agency in the US. (In fact, I believe their parent company is in the UK.) They do have sort of a nasty habit of attempting to collect debts that people don't owe, but these accounts are sent to them from AT&T and sometimes they just have the wrong person who happens to have the same name as you. (When they are looking for someone and don't have much information to go by, they get desperate and start mailing stuff to everyone they can find with that name.)

It's not necessarily fraud, it's just bad information on their part. Your best bet here is to write them a letter and explain that you are not the person they are looking for and to validate the debt proving that they owe it. By law they have to comply and send you bills and/or a signed contract with your signature proving it's your account. If it's not your account, then they obviously can't get these documents. When they realize this, they have to remove your information from their systems and stop contacting you.

Usually in the US this is done with certified mail and a return receipt, but I'm not sure how you would go about doing this if you are in the UK. Rather than venture a possibly erroneous guess, I'm just not going to attempt to advise you any further other than to say most of them time you need to contact them by mail in order to remedy this problem.

I hope this was at least some help to you, best of luck!

Chris