Elderhelpers.orgvolunteer organization

A

I contacted elderhelpers.org on 24 March 2016 for help with my father. He has stage 4 lung cancer and he needed someone to stay with him during the day. Since he doesn't qualify for Medicaid he can't have home healthcare unless he pays out of pocket. Unfortunately, he can't afford $17-20 an hour.
I reached out to them, even though I saw some bad reviews. It seemed like most were sour grapes from people that didn't want to pay for background checks to be volunteers. Well today is the 25th, and I'm already done with them. I've called 8 people. One number was a real estate company, two were disconnected, and 4 I left messages, and 1 lady answered. She said she never finished her application and didn't understand why her profile was still on there. I received another call from the messages I left from a "volunteer's" husband. He said his wife has never been a volunteer and that I should probably be careful about letting anyone in my home that came from this website. To say I'm angry is putting it mildly. I'm also devastated. I don't care about the donation. What I care about is the two days I spent wasting on this organization. I could have been looking somewhere else for help.

When I emailed the lady in charge, she did her best to make me feel stupid and weak. Now, I might not be the brightest crayon in the box, but I know enough about deflection to know what she's doing. I also know all about avoidance and what dodging looks like. I have kids. I see it everyday. Please, for the sake of your sanity, don't waste your time with this website. Even if it's not a con. Most people that sign up to be volunteers aren't keeping their phone numbers updated so you're spending hours calling people that are never going to call you back. This organization is apathetic at best. It's a rip-off at worst.

RESOLVED

• Elder Helpers's response · Apr 07, 2016

Hello "agriff"

We carefully read your review on complaints board and would like to offer you a resolution.

We are happy to offer you a full refund as well as a sincere apology for your lack of success having a good time using our service.

Below please find a reminder of how our database works. Also, please note that community members are reminded several times of their responsibility to report wrong and disconnected numbers.

How the Elder Helpers listings work:

• We keep recruiting volunteers every day in all geographical areas from reputable places.
    • Their biographies state how long they have been with us: the more time the better.
    • Volunteers are reminded monthly to keep their profile up to date, update it online when their availability or geographical location changes, and of course when they change phone number.
    • Volunteers can make their profiles temporarily inactive so that they won’t appear in the search results and also they can contact us via email to ask us to completely delete their profiles.
    • Community members using our service to locate volunteers, that is, elders or their relatives, are made aware during intake that it is their duty to report wrong and disconnected phone numbers. When they do email us reporting these, we update our database.

Anita Malone Mar 02, 2017

I created a profile back in 2013 and have never gone through any training or correspondence with anyone at Elder Helpers. There was no background check done on me, but my profile and phone number is available to families in need. I recently received a call from someone asking for help with their elderly mother. Anyone looking for help with someone they even slightly care about, please do not use this organization. There is zero screening taking place.

• El
    elderhelpers.org Mar 03, 2017

@Anita Malone Hello Anita,

When a volunteer subscribes to our program we send them a training kit to help them be prepare and ready to volunteer.

To secure the safety of our seniors, we encourage all volunteers to get a background check. Background checks are done by IntelliCorp. Our volunteers pay for their own background checks, unfortunately, not all the volunteers do it.

Right now, we are working in a safer and more personal way to recruit volunteers, we are implementing a screening process. Ensuring the safety of our members is our most important task.

Chrisbrook81 Apr 03, 2017

They are a rip off. They want 50 before they gave out any information.