Eden Pure HeaterKeeps breaking

M

We bought the Edenpure 500 Oct. 2007. Used it only occasionally last winter. Stored over summer and just started using last month. Today, we turned it on and it made a loud noise (probably fan) and then stopped. Looks like the element is still working though.
We should be able to open up the fan area and oil it or something. I have not gotten through to the customer service (they are having a high volume of calls- what does that tell you?)

• Ge
    GeeTom Dec 02, 2008

I agree on these "Snake-Oil" charlatins, pushing "miracles" and ways to save money with these pieces of crap. Same goes for the "Amish Mantles" our local newspaper tries to promote---nothing different in these, from the other junk that's seen on informercials and in Sunday supplements, direct mails, local hardware store promotions, etc. Highly overpriced, difficulties with customer service / returns / repairs, etc., should tell you that you can just go to your local home improvement center and buy an oil-type heater for under $35.00 and it will last you for several seasons. I speak from experience, we have one in our uninsulated mudroom and it keeps the space toasty warm, even in the coldest part of winter. If it craps out, I'll junk it and spend another $35.00 and I'm one happy camper. Over $300.00 for an "infrared" heater???? Nah, I'm a believer in Barnum's statement-----"There's a sucker born every minute."

• Pc
    pccruiser Apr 08, 2009

Yes the 300's are poorly made and are prone to problems, I have three other freinds and myself who are very, very happy we spent even more. Like $500 for the larger units, I have already saved in two years of use a total of $2300.00 in gas bills alone. And the house is warmer, it takes two units but they have made it all the way to two years /seasons running. I am beyond satisfied and would recommend the 500-1500 series anyday!

• Da
    dave hesla Oct 13, 2009

we used it a little bit last winter and when we brought it out this year it is making a loud rattling noise and cant get it to stop what can we do about this

• Do
    dooahditty1 Oct 14, 2009

i had mine plugged in over night and woke up and it was turned off and would not turn on. i did nothing to make that happen. can u help?

• Me
    Merlin Olson Oct 17, 2009

ours only blows cool air...what is wrong? We only bought it last winter!

• Ty
    Tyrone Lee Oct 18, 2009

WOW...I WAS ON THE VURGE OF CALLING THE 880 LINE AND PURCHASING THE EDEN HEATER...NO WAY NOW!!!

• Mj
    MJM1976 Oct 19, 2009

I purchased an Eden Pure 500 heater in November of 2007. It broke and I had it replaced in February of 2008. Now the replacement heater is broken and the warranty has expired. Neither heater functioned for more than 100 total hours.

• Lo
    long 4950 Oct 23, 2009

Many people are complaining about quality! I was about to purchace one, I don't need the problems. anyone from edenpure wish to comment! [protected]@yahoo.com

• Lo
    long 4950 Oct 23, 2009

I was about to buy one . So many unhappy people!! Why should I take a chance?? the company can not take care of the people or products!! Some one from Edenpure like to explain why they made so many people un-happy?? [protected]@yahoo.com

• Sw
    SW MN Oct 24, 2009

What a rip-off. We bought an Edenpure - worked for a couple months. After that it would heat for ten minutes, shut off and would not start again. Sent it in for warranty work. The customer service was rude and had written an entirely different explanation than what we had told her. When we got it back, it worked for a couple weeks, than repeated the same problem: heat for ten minutes and turn off. We called again, another rude customer service person told us it was out of warranty - and would only offer to return a portion of our purchase price, but we would have to pay shipping.
    Why would we return this piece of junk so they can 'refurbish' it and sell it at full price to another sucker? Our elderly neighbor lady has had the exact same problem with her Edenpure. I would NOT RECOMMEND the Edenpure to anyone I liked!

• Pp
    PParma Nov 18, 2009

Wanted to buy two, either from Edenpure or Heatsurge from the Amish: one for ourselves and one for our daughter, who bought a condo in CT. After reading for sometime for both of them on websites, I will recommend my daughter to get a Homeywell under $30.0 from her local Walgreens or other stores that stock it . I have been using one the for last 3 years, without any problems, to warm up my office of 120 sq. ft .

• Em
    EmmyEm Nov 20, 2009

My 6 year old $19 space heater from walmart out lasted my eden pure by 5 years and 6 months. That thing is a piece of crap. I was trying to save money and we lost money. I used it last year during a few months, went to turn it on a few weeks ago...nothing...it was showing a few problems last year shutting off and not turning on again, but this year it has not come on at all. And of course the warranty is expired. And the customer service is terrible. I don't complain about much but this is a bad product. Pure and simple.

• Ec
    ECP Nov 24, 2009

I bought a Eden Pure heater 1000-XL it worked fine the first season, the second season
    it would start and stop so I sent it back and they did fix it, it ran good until the end of
    second season and it started to do the same thing, and it was now out of warranty!

So I took the thing apart to see what I could see, it turns out the safety switch was the
    problem. The safety switch is a set of contact points, when they break contact the
    whole heater shuts down!
    It is held on with two screws, with two wires running to it, I took the switch out and threw
    it in the trash put the two wires together with one screw and it works just fine!

It runs until the room is warm, and when it cools down it starts up again just like it
    did when new! It just doesn't have the safety switch.
    I have had it working like this for one month now!

It does heat good while using little electricity but it cost almost $400!
    Would I buy another one NO!
    You can buy an old style milk house heater and get the same heat for$20!

Marion C. Kearns Dec 01, 2009

I have used my Edenpure 1000XL through one winter trouble free. Going into winter two it started rattleing. The fan motor was going out. Its out of warranty, so I called the dealer Bio Tech. They sold the motor and squirrel cage bower for 49.95-that includes shipping. It does a good job, but don't seem to be very durable. Mine was a refurbished unit. I would not buy another EdenPure. Just go buy a small heater at your local store. Hope to have mine going in a week. Will see how long second motor lasts.

• Rg
    RGVA Dec 06, 2009

ECP - could you explain what you mean by 'safety switch'? Is it the bi-metal thermostat that EdenPure calls the fan sensor?
    Or the contact switch that the company calls the heat sensor? or finally, the thermostat sensor? I have also shorted the fan sensor, but my bulbs (recently replaced) do not come on.

• Ta
    Tammy Hansen Cook Dec 08, 2009

I have 2 of them. One makes the loud noise everyone is talking about and the other one blows for a while then shuts off and won't come back on. I loved them when they both worked, but now they are both krap and I hate them. I've had them for three years.The first year I sent one back for repairs and the second year they both started having problems. Third year niether one of them work any more!

• My
    myfraudulentcompany.com Dec 22, 2009

Shame on Bob Vila, he starts out talking about the heat you loose through your unsealed duct work and than instead of giving you an answer like use Mastic Sealnt to seal most of those ducts he gives you EdenPure! How does using more electricity save you money? It doesn't! Does it save you money to seal all those leaky ducts with Mastic? Yes!This is what he should be endorsing http://www.rcdmastics.com/

Comments

• Za
    zapped Dec 30, 2009

I wouldn't buy anything that Bob Vila endorses. But, that's just silly ol' me.

• Cj
    cjemoore Dec 31, 2009

We have had an Eden pure for 3 years we had it worked on by a local dealer, which saved us shipping. there are pros and cons to everything, but overall we rate yhe Eden Pure/ Suntwin 1500 very highly, it has saved on electricity, but the things we like best is the even heat ours ru 24/7 and keeps around a 1000 ft. very comfortable. Much safer with kids as it is not hot to touch. Most of all it seems to be a cleaner heat, not so many allergey problems as when using our main heat source.

• Ca
    CamG Jan 02, 2010

The Edenpure service centers are a complete joke. 4 times I've sent our in, and we've owned it for almost 14 months. First two times was warranty (but had to pay $30 shipping each time) second two, out of warranty. It has literally been out of our home more than in. The last time, they dropped unit causing major damage and just sent it anyway and tried to blame UPS even though there is no damage to the packaging.

Do yourselves a favor and buy a Sun Heat...it's been doing all the Edenpure's work with ZERO problems.

• Te
    Terry1111 Jan 03, 2010

We have had our edenpure 500, for 2 years.It worked fine the first year, and for the first 2 weeks this year.Now the wires to the heat tubes burn out.I have bypassed one tube completely, and it works, sometimes.I have to keep taking it apart, about every 2 days and placing, the wire back in the tube.( by the way, how many screws do they think they need, to hold this pile of junk together.)Of course customer service, has no record of me buying one.I could buy another set of tubes, yea right, like I am going to pay 79.95 plus shipping, for more junk. I will never buy another thing, Bob Villa endorses.

• Ki
    Kindness Jan 11, 2010

I ordered the EdenPure heater via the 800#, but after reading all the complaints, I called and cancelled my order. I will look for a heater at a local store in my area.

• Ri
    RisinSun007 Jan 30, 2010

Just getting ready to order the Model 1000...think I'll wait awhile...thanks everyone for the warning!

• Fp
    fpflynn Feb 13, 2010

BUYERS BEWARE..EDENPURE MIDWEST has a great scam going. Know that if u buy a heater from EDENPURE MIDWEST and u are not happy with the product, that when you return as you do have 60 days for your full refund, well when u do return, they are going to TRY and charge you a 45 % Restocking fee and a $30 Initial shipping fee, which comes to a Restocking Amount of: $178.65, is they would have posted that on their WEBSITE so you can plainly see it, I would not have purchased it….BY THE WAY, HEATER QUIT WORKING AFTER ONLY 3 WEEKS We did try and contact MIDWEST and they stated that fact is located in the consent to policy box, nice and tucked away that way you will not see, they would not refund my $178.65 to me, so do as I did, contact you credit card co. and they will handle your issue for you, needless to say, I GOT A FULL REFUND

• Qu
    quail Mar 16, 2010

I just repaired a 500 for a friend, and I can see why people are down on these little heaters. I had to replace all the bulbs. If your heater is cutting off after a few minutes, then CHANGE THE FILTER!!!
    Or, take it out. I had the same problem with this one. Please DO NOT BYPASS the safeties, they are there for a very good reason.

• Rn
    rnbwtrthunter Mar 26, 2010

I bought a Eden Pure heater from a local dealer. My first one caught fire. The dealer would not give me my money back but gave me another heater. My husband decided to put the heater on it's own power source. That helped but now the heater will heat up the decide to blow cold air. I live in a very cold climate and this heater has been a disapointment. When the tempature dropped to -50 degrees fahrenheit my room would only reach 55 f. My neighbor bought a Comfort Zone heater same size as my Eden Pure and he is heating a bigger area and keeping it at a constant 72 f the whole winter.

• Do
    donniegreg59 May 08, 2010

My Edinpure ran perfect first winter-went to use it the second winter and the noise it made was unbearable of course at this point it was out of warranty. Contacted EP and was told that it was out of warrant (DUH) I then told them it was a peice of junk and that the model I bought was supposed to be quieter and they should make an exception ( it was a month out of warranty) this was a waste of breath. Someone should file a lawsuit against them !!

• Ji
    Jim ski Sep 27, 2010

I used to be a service and test engineer, we had a very good service dept. and customer satisfaction. I was going to get an Edenpure 1000 but am now changing my mind because from what I can see from the complaints, your service dept. sucks.you nickle and dime the units till they go out of warranty then your customer is left with a piece of junk.Bad customer service is a company killer so you better do something to alleviate the problems starting with the rude customer service rep. that answers the phone. Jim from Michigan.

• Ro
    RobTheReaper87 Nov 14, 2010

Ive only had my EdenPure Model US 1000 for a few weeks. I used a total of 2 days. On the third day I went to turn it on and there was no heat...It with turn on and off just fine but it does so with cold air instead of warm air. I tried cleaning the filter a few times and that doesnt seem to help.

• Pa
    Paul I. D. Nov 17, 2010

I am watching the infomercial and luckily I doodled this site before calling the 800 # to order. Thank you. I am changing the channel.

• Ed
    edenpur Nov 23, 2010

our heater dosen't work right either, why should we keep getting it fixed to only break down again. whats the problem with getting our money back c a callahan greenville oh.

• Pe
    PEEE OOOOD Nov 25, 2010

Yeah bought one loved it last winter. Brought it out this year, and a couple of weeks later only works on one bulb and appears that the thermostat control not working, seems no response from company. HMMM bordering on fraud??

• Rr
    rroobb Nov 30, 2010

I got my Super XL 1000 three yrs. ago...three wks...quit working I sent it back...a month goes by got it back..ok there went my sixty days return...ok it works for three more weeks...I send it back ..I paid for the shipping to and from there...again works...for maybe a month...I put it the box and to the garage it went for over a yr...now I am bound and determine too fix this myself...I have changed thermostat..nah didnt do it ...fan sensor..nah filter sensor...nah not that either...bound and determine too fix this... still ordering parts...boy I hope they dont open a Eden Pure store in my town...they may find this one threw their window...

mattdillon1111 Dec 18, 2010

I have the Eden Pure for two weeks and it hasn't been working that well as it shuts down as the room get's warm grrrr. Well in the last 24 to 48 hrs it does not come on at all. I have called all these different numbers for Eden Pure and now that I finally make it to customer service I have been on hold for over 40 minutes. What a joke and what a great money maker for the company. Piece of crap ohh and on top of it I am unemployed and just barely making it as it is. Piece of crap...Don't buy this piece of crap!!! I finally got in to customer service and they are willing to work with me so I guess I am not a total loss but itd be nice to have this heater to help out with my heating. It is so cold here in Ft Collins

anderson617 Dec 27, 2010

We are having the same problem, I got on the web with hopes of how to fix it. The company sent a replacement after the first one stopped working 1 week later, now the second one only worked for about 3 days. How can they get away with selling items that just do not work. Obiviously Bob Villa has never had to use his, or he would have never put his name on it. Honesly I will stop watching any show that he is on or endorses. The heater runs 4 minutes and shuts off. Weve checked the bulbs and Filter and pressed the buttons to reset it, adjusted the heat meter etc. Total Crap!

• Ed
    Eden pure is a RIP OFF Jan 04, 2011

Does not work as advertised a glass of tea was frozen the next morning in the same room. A 50 dollar heater from Walmart blows it away. Customer sevice is terrible . I sent it back got an email they were processing and it would take 2-4 weeks .WHY!!! in the mean time they charged my card another 89.95 and I cant get anybody on the phone to save my life. I am having to get my bank to help me with charges.These people need to be turned in to the Attorney General.There really needs to be an investigation.

Chris Kennedy Jan 07, 2011

I've been using eden pure for 6 years now and they work well for me. My oil company can't figure out what we have done because I have only ordered 300 gallons of oil in 6 winters (that's less than $100 per year and I live in Massachusetts where we have been experiencing "global cooling" for the last 6 winters. Before Eden pure, I would use about 850 gallons of oil per year. The heaters have more than paid for themselves for me. I must have just gotten 2 really good units??? I think the majority of the complainants above just do not understand that the heaters have a thermostat, so when the room is warmed up, the unit shuts off. Additionally, you can set the thermostat at multiple levels. Chances are that the user(s) simply did not read the directions!!! As for those who think that their $19 space heaters are so wonderful, I say good for you but you don't know what you are missing, eden pure heaters create warm oxygen rich heated air.

• Cl
    CL, VA Jan 08, 2011

I have an older model EdenPure heater that I have had for several years. It is still working, and I absolutely love it. Then in March 2008 I bought the Model XL 1000. That one has never worked properly. I would call the company and be asked to clean the filter or unplug it for half an hour and plug it back in. Unfortunately, I would unplug it and use my old one. This winter, mid-December, I sent it to be repaired. The repair person thought he had it fixed, and I got it back within a week. For a few days, it seemed to be working okay. Now it is up to its old tricks. I cannot get it to run long enough to be useful.

I am not going to spend more money on that one. What I would like to know is whether the newer models really work. If the Model XL 1000 was the first EdenPure heater I ever had, I would not buy another. They would have to pay me to take one! But if that model was a dud and the newer ones work like my old one, running right now, I would buy another one.

• Wh
    Whaaaaaa Jan 19, 2011

Eden Pure is just like any other ie, i heater etc. It's a 1500 watt freaken radient quartz tube heater with a fancy panel and remote control. If you don't turn down your central heating thermostat then it won't save you a thing. Here yea go Bob Villa! (Sell out at any price or cost) He's just a another TV Whore!

• Mi
    michaltodd Feb 16, 2011

I have 3 of the eden pure heaters, 2 runs for just a minute and cuts off. Do not recommend this product. Not worth the money and I think my electric bill was actually higher running them.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices