Drone WorksDefective drone parts, theft of goods, conversion.

P

Here is what happened over a period of several months when the company I worked for got involved with Zach Davis, aka drone-works.com

I was hired to repair drones, and found that "DJI Inspire 1" aircraft parts were hard to get, especially things like motors, ESCs, Left and Right Arm Components (booms), and the Center Frame Assembly. These could be ordered from the factory, but there was a 4-7 week wait to get them. Companies in the USA who stocked the parts therefore were selling them at a high profit.

I started buying parts from drone-works.com, owned by Zac Davis. He offered new parts, but then send used ones. That was a problem
but he changed his story and said they were all good tested parts. In a few cases he sent motors that had the copper windings burned black. These things cost $175-$250 each. I was able to get him to exchange them, but I always got used motors, dirty scratched up parts, and once something a Inspire 1 center section that had been under water. It had of course been scrupulously cleaned on the outside to look new! But Zac had at first said the parts were coming off new drones he had bought to part out for profit. It was certainly possible to do that at the time, because a new motor from China was going for $400, after a 3-7 week wait.

(So, myself and my boss being honest and not being able to find new motors without a 3-7 week delay, I basically had to tell my customers they had a choice to wait that long, or accept used parts which we would guarantee for 90 days)

Things got worse with the quality of what I received and Zac then confessed to me that he was buying up all of the crashed drones he could get to keep his stock levels up. OK fine just make sure we get usable parts. But it all turned to garbage.

The worst thing was that Zac defrauded my boss out of several thousand dollars. Somehow Zac ended up with a couple of expensive drones and didn't pay for them, although apparently he did sell them, because he was bragging in social media about the money and going to CES. So, instead of paying the months-past-due invoice, he spent that money at CES partying and building his own business on money stolen from others. He conned my boss out of $8000 worth of goods and ignored the invoices!

He still owes lots of money on this, and only paid some of it because he was sued!
Of course he did not want it to go to trial where his fraudulent business practices would be exposed publicly, but rolled over and paid most of the invoice. The good news for others that have been cheated is that they can get an attorney in NY to sue him and get most of the $ back. He still owes a huge amount though, and will have to be hounded for it. So yes he can be sued and will roll over to try to keep it quiet. So don't be afraid to sue him. He may try to make it condition of payment for you to not talk about it, but it can not be made binding on others who know about it.

In my fully protected opinion he is a swivel-tongue liar and a thief with a crooked, shady business.

Attached is a picture of a 'good' motor he sent. How nicely the copper windings are burned to a crisp. He was selling these as good tested motors, but I would never install something like that! Of course some small discoloration is OK as the motors run hot, but not with the insulation burned to ash.

Defective drone parts, theft of goods, conversion.

More Drone Works Complaints & Reviews

• Pa
    Pacem Lumine Jul 01, 2016

Ignore that complaint.

First, this complaint was not posted by myself. I believe this complaint was posted by logging in here, with hacked or guessed password from an RC hobby web log or Face book. I can't tell what happened and I don't use this web site. Therefore this complaint isn't mine and should be disregarded. Actually it should be erased.

I do not have a complaint against "Drone Works" or Zac Davis. So that should be clear.

Sure enough it is the same login password here, I have used elsewhere, but I do not seem able to edit or remove this post. So I am going to change some passwords so they are harder to guess (duh), and ask the complaints board people to remove this post and also remove the account, which shouldn't be here anyway.

So, disregard the above complaint.
    regards,