Discount book saleUnauthorized Charges

After ordering a book, for an unreasonably low price of just $5.08, I was enrolled and charged for a membership that I did NOT authorize. Also, I was charged another fee that has no explanation, and was unauthorized as well.
If that is not bad enough, after placing the order, I received an e-mail stating that the book I ordered was out of stock, and that my book would be shipped when it becomes available. NO THANKS!!!

I DO NOT RECOMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS WEBSITE!! THEY ARE CHARGING ME FOR UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES!!

Sharon

• Co
    Cori Ihle Jan 13, 2009

Smartsavingcenter appeared on my account for $29.95. I did not sign up for anything! Please remove me and I expect a full refund! Thank you.

• Ky
    Kyla Feb 27, 2009

I can't make an account!

• Co
    Conchetta Thompson Mar 31, 2009

the very same thing happened to me, the book cost $6.24 at discount but then when I got my visa statement, $29.95 was taken out for a membership fee and the book was not in stock...when I called them to complain and get a credit, they only cancel the membership, not the fee. Then the next day, they e-mailed me and said my book had been shipped and then that charge appeared on my visa. This all was unauthorized and this company is a THIEF ! Their website I found out was smartsavingcenter.com and how I found them in the 1st place, I went on web looking for a book called Take it Back by Kimberly Daniels, an Apostle.

• Bl
    Blue reader May 11, 2009

I ordered a book at a discounted price. I got an e-mail confirming the purchage, I got charged for the agreed amount. After that, I noticed I had another charge on my credit card for the amount of $12.00. I contacted the company and I was told that when I ordered the book I also enrolled in a membership for $12.00 a month . Apparently I had 7 days to cancel after the purchase.
    This was in the small print of the order.
    Don't you think that it is an unfair practice? I got confirmation for the book but not for the membership . This should also be on the e-mail confirmation.
    According to them . I am not entitle to a refund.
    Could you look into this so other won't fall for their trap?

Louise Turcotte
    50 Hazelwood Dr
    Hudson NH 03051 e-mail: [protected]@aol.com

• Is
    Ishmael May 21, 2009

Did yall ever recieved the books?

• Is
    Ishmael May 21, 2009

Did y'all ever received the books? Because, I have canceled my membership the very first day I order the book.

• Re
    redswan Jul 02, 2009

I was also charged 19.95 for a membership that I did not authorize! I ordered a book from them and received confirmation of the order. I never received the email they said they sent confirming my membership. They cancelled the membership, but would not refund the unauthorized charge. This is unethical and disceptive! DO NOT ORDER BOOKS FROM THIS COMPANY. I did receive my book, but it was no bargain!

• Ta
    takoma Jul 16, 2009

I also ordered a book from them. The "bargain" book (4.62) ended up costing me an additional 19.95 membership and I got a new debit card number to make sure they couldn't charge me again.

• Da
    danadu75 Jul 25, 2009

This company needs to be reported to some regulatory comission and shut down. They are thieves and are steeling from internet shoppers left and right. If you haven't called to canel your memebership, make sure you do so because it is a monthly memebership. The agent I spoke with from Disount Book Sales was going to let me hang-up and continue to be charged even though I made it very clear that I wanted nothing more to do with Discount Book Sales. You must state that you want to cancel the membership. Also, I recommend canceling the debit/credit card used to make your purchase because they will continue to charge you even though you canceled your membership.

• Da
    danadu75 Jul 25, 2009

Also, this company has three differenct names Best Brand Values, Discount Book Services, and Smart Savings Center. BEWARE! They are all part of the same scam.

• La
    ladyblizz1 Jul 27, 2009

OMG! I HATE THESE A HOLES! I ORDERD 2 BOOKS 2 WEEKS AGO. THE TOTLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN $26.11. IT SAID THEY WOULD ARIVE IN 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS, WELL IT'S 2 WEEKS LATER AND I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANYTHING! ALSO THERE WAS A HIDDEN FEE OF 19.95 THAT I DID NOT AUTORIZE! I CALLED TO GET A REFUND AND THE B ON THE OTHER END SAID. "IM SORRY I CAN NOT DO THAT, YOUR BOOKS ARE ON THEIR WAY. THEY ARE IN KENTUCKEY. I WILL CANCELL YOUR MEBERSHIP FOR YOU."

WHAT?!!! 2 WEEK AND MY BOOKS ARE IN KENTUCKEY? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!! WHAT A FRAUDULENT ### "COMANY". PLEASE, NOONE DO BUSINESS WITH THIS HORRIBLE PLACE. I DONT WANT YOU TO BE SCAMED LIKE I WAS!

• Lo
    (Loo-chee-ahh-na) Luciana Aug 01, 2009

I ordered a book of $0.75 and got charged the 3.99 for shipping ..okay thats cool I thought. I recieved the book 2 weeks ago. Then yesterday on my bank statment 19.95 was charged to discount book sale. I called and just like all the others. Supposedly I agreed to this membership and they sent me an email about it! UHHhhh no...I didnt, and I never got any email ! But the lady who sounds like the same lady every time i've called...Like Asian and very hard to understand. Keeps saying there is no way she can help me since I "did" agree to this 3 day membeship. She said if I go to checkout ill see the membership i agreed to...so I did...I remeber skipping that option...but still... No refund for me! Im gonna try again on Monday...lets see if its the same lady?!!! Thats odd to me. Do you guys think I can do something through my bank?

madreader Aug 03, 2009

Same thing here!!! So frustrated after ten minutes on the phone complaining about the 19.95 charge that i was never notified about after speaking to a mild mannered girl i asked to placed on the phone with a manager who obviously was telling her what to say standing right next to her. They told me as well that I too signed up for a membership and had three days to cancell but didn't so they charged me. Never recieved an email confirming said membership so how could i know. Also i said i refused to pay it because i did not sign up for it. I cancelled the order of my book and she said i would be refunded for the 19.95. I will be on their butt's like white on bread if i don't ahve that money in my account tomorrow. SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM. it is disgusting that people take advantage of others when they are jsut trying to save some money. HORRIBLE!!!
    RUN from discount book sale!!! they are just flat out disgusting business people.

• Gr
    Grantmedoe Aug 10, 2009

how do you fight these situations? My daugther was charged over $200 for a $20 BIBLE for crying out loud. she is a college student and this is one month's room and board for her.

can you make a report to BBB or attorney general in their state? I'm going to get that money back one way or another!

• He
    henry2345 Aug 22, 2009

I'm another one who got taken!! But I DO NOT remember seeing that option about the 3 day membership to cancel out. I'm not sure it was there.
    Does EVERYONE remember seeing that option, along with the $19.95 if you don't cancel? My purchase was June 12, 2009.
    I'm wondering if I call my bank and tell them it was not an authorized charge, if they will take it off?

• Br
    brw Sep 01, 2009

Do not purchase anything from this company! I bought a book from them at a really low price. Two months later I was charged a fee of $19.95 for joining their discount book club. I did not authorize this charge and I didn't now anything about their book club. They would not issue a refund! I did cancel the membership that they did not authorize and received a confirmation. They are a rip off!

• Va
    vader922 Jan 13, 2010

same thing here! Searching for a book for my granddaughters christmas that was out everywhere. Found it unbelievably priced at .25 used on Discountbooksales. I did not see the option for membership, don't think it was there either. Fortunately I noticed an email the next morning saying I had signed up for a membership from Bestbrandvalues. I called and they said they cancelled..I requested and got a cancellation notice that same day. Now almost exactly a month later I received a notice saying the book was still on order with Discountbooksales. I called them to say to cancel all my orders, all my profiles with any business they were affiliated with. The guy seemed very apologetic on the phone. I told him I was sorry he had to work for such a scam business. Valid businesses should fight this as I refuse now to buy from anywhere except a major brand name or through Amazon. This is sad for the great mom and pop shops trying to make a living in this economy tho. They should ban together to lobby to fight this scam stuff more aggressively.

Chuck5470 Jan 31, 2010

The same thing happened to me as well. I just happened to check my statement and noticed this monthly 19.95 charge for something I did not enroll in!! Robbery.

• Bb
    BB+++ Feb 12, 2010

thanks everyone for this valuable feedback. I was about to buy a book from them for the first time, so i thought i would check them out first, found this website with your comments, and have decided to go elsewhere. Your comments help stop unscrupolout businesses like theirs. Sorry you had to suffer, but thanks.

• Vi
    victim of thiefs Feb 13, 2010

THIEFs thats right never any thing about membership fee, not when i ordered or in the email they say they sent me and the last i knew if money is taken out of my account with out my knowlege it is stealing something i have never done and dont think they should get away with THIEFS, THIEFS THEY BELONG IN JAIL cancelled my membership with no refund a 30 day membership that lasted 5 days same price losers

• 2b
    2bummed Apr 03, 2010

I ordered several books and assumed the cheap price on the first one was just their way of getting you onto the site to buy more. I never imagined I was about to get SCAMMED. Six months later my husband asks me about this $9.95 charge we've been getting every month... What?! I called the number on the bank statement and they told me that when I clicked the OK button on the payment page I agreed to their terms and conditions - i.e. becoming a member. Must have been fine print. They never sent me an email. I didn't even know the name of the website. Member of what? The lady I spoke with said she would cancel it. I can't believe I was the victim of an internet scam. I seriously doubt there's a refund in my future, but I will file a complaint with my credit card company.

• Td
    TDeroy Apr 20, 2010

Everyone, Who became a victim of BBVdiscount booksale, -lets file a complaints to Atterney General.
    Personally i did. Yes -they helped me to fight a similar online scam in the past.
    Also send information to Amazon.com investigation team -since they sponsored this site, -to prevent any future victims.
    This scam must be stopped!

• Wa
    watch your money carefully Apr 22, 2010

They are total SCAMMERS! WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.
    Luckily I saw the $1 extra charge on my debit card a day later and called to say I was overcharged. The Customer Service person said it was for the trial of the membership. I did not know there was a membership??? YOU ONLY HAVE 7 DAYS TO CANCEL AFTER YOU SIGN UP!!! I cancelled within two days. We will see what happens...Will I get the book? How much will they charge? Who knows? I will keep you updated.

• Tr
    troublemaker May 01, 2010

Yes, same thing happened to me too! I hope someone shuts this company down soon! I was charged an extra $1 as well as $19.95. I will be returning the book they send me (which I ordered 3 wks ago). I don't want to have anything to do with this tainted company!

• Gp
    gpruss Jun 15, 2010

I wish I had see this info before I had ordered a book from them. Ordered book to be sent priority mail and book was receive 6 days latter. They are in Florida, I am in Colorado and the book was routed thru California. ?????????? They should have set it directly to Colorado. I am going to contest the Priority shipping charges on my Credit Card. Regular mail would have been just as fast and also the could have sent it Book Class. I hope this HELPS some one else.

marinr Jun 28, 2010

Its too bad everyone got taken by this scam, I've definitely signed up for things I didn't mean to in the past. This company is obviously run by [censor]s, but even a brief scan of the terms & conditions says that you are signed up for a $1 trial membership and then a $19.95 monthly membership. If it sounds too good to be true it is. A new 400 page book shouldn't be $3.35 cents just like a pair of brand new sneakers shouldn't be $6.97, but Walmart etc has us confusing being free with getting things for free.

As for the people who rightfully realized in hindsight that the mom & pops are the ones really getting screwed in the end, and 'they' should band together to fight online retail. . .why don't consumers do it for them? Shop at your local small businesses and pay in cash. More of the money goes back into your community, not to a warehouse headquartered in Boca Raton, one of the richest cities in Florida. You'll never find +$100 missing in your wallet later. Its a psychological problem with risk and it seems like the average American consumer thinks he can outsmart a system that proved in the last 2 years that it can even outsmart itself.

• Ru
    runnergirl Aug 01, 2010

I bought a book from them and they charged my account 5 months in a row ($9.95) for some membership fee (before I noticed) that they said was 'clearly' written on their website. They were not at all accommodating to refunding the charges and said that they were able to refund the last months' charge to me, as if this was a benefit to me somehow. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 4 MONTHS OF CHARGES???

Make sure to review your bank statements regularly.

I'm filing a complaint about them to the Better Business Bureau.

• Jb
    JBD1970 Aug 06, 2010

Completely illegal. Recurring fraudulent charges twice a month for the past 6 months. Ridiculous!!!

• Ri
    RickK Sep 01, 2010

DiscountBookSale, LLC also known as SmartSavingCenter also known as BestBrandValues also known as HotBookSale makes their by defrauding people. I worked with the BBB of Southeast Florida [protected]) to know avail. The BBB contacted the company (BBB has their name as "DiscountBookSale, LLC) and kept me informed of how things were going. They just informed me that they have closed my case. The book company said that their WEB site informed me that I would be charged a monthly fee of $9.95. They are dishonest but they are good at it. I hope they wrong some person who has the time and means to take they to court and out of business.

• In
    Inthenickoftime Sep 09, 2010

Oh my goodness! Thank heavens for Websites like this! I bought from them this evening, a 2010 book for 0.25 (too good to be true? Yep.) then had this nagging feeling telling me to yahoo them. lo and behold, all these complaints about them, stating they were scammers and fraudulent. I immediately check my card activity to see if they had charged me yet. No, they had not. Then I immediately called my credit card company, let them know of my situation & they canceled my existing card and will be sending me a new one with new acct #. As soon as I hung up with them, I received that email from best brand values! Woah, right on cue! Was this extreme? I wouldn't say so. I didn't want the hassle dealing with them. Hopefully this is the end of it. But I think I'll be receiving a few emails from them before this whole thing blows over.

• Sp
    spcestesb Sep 23, 2010

I have an unauthorized charge to my checking account for $9.95 from BBV*DISCOUNTBOOK [protected] FL and I want it stopped and my money returned now...

• Mi
    Mistyblu Oct 16, 2010

I did the same thing, I ordered a book that was the best price I could find on Rainforest herbs it nomally was $23.95 everywhere else and here it was $10.38 with the $5 off first order and shipping. I didn't even notice this membership and cnaceled it right away as soon as I noticed an extra $1.00 charged on my debit card. That was never credited back. and they said they sent out the book and gave me a tracking number, the number is NOT in the usps system and it was sent out 5 days ago. When I called to cancel the membership and find out why the book is not in the tracking system they told me that it just isn't in the system yet due to the post office just recieving the item now. Someone needs to stop these people from ripping off the public. I will never order from them again and I wouldn't have in the first place if I had know that this was a membership. What a Joke. It wasn't that good of a savings on my book. I could have gotten a used copy for the same price. That's if I ever get this one.

• C6
    c68 Mar 01, 2011

Why didn't I check this before buying from Discount Books! The same think just happened to me.
    I just called thinking the charges were a mistake, but not, it was just a scam! I cancelled everything I got a membership with, which I had no idea, and hope I won't get any more charges!

chiel lf1 Apr 19, 2011

I realized I was being charged for the membership. Went to their website and launched the online chat. Someone came on and processed my cancellation and gave me a refund of the charge. I couldn't have been more pleased in dealing with them. I really should have read the fine print in dealing with them to start with.

• Ti
    tina p May 27, 2011

What a scammer!! I got book pretty cheap here, but then they took $9.95 from my Debit card which was not authorized!! Boy they must have some small fine print so that you dont know you are getting scammed by their membership fees. Who would pay over $100 a year to join a book club or whatever it is supposed to be.

• As
    asanchezths Jul 20, 2011

Do NOT order from them!! over the past 9 months I have been charged over 100 dollars and have only bought ONE 4.95 (along with an extra DOLLAR they charged) book from them!! do not waste your time!!!

• Va
    Valmek Sep 04, 2012

Do not use this distributor to purchase any books online. Stay with your well know options. This vendor charges a recurring monthly "membership fee" of $9.95 without full disclosure. They will only cancel if you initiate the call. When you call, they will cancel and only give you credit up to two months back. They then will submit your request to a different department for review. They claim to have sent notice of membership to my inbox. I only saved confirmation of books which were shipped. There was no communication on this initial invoice regarding any membership fee.

Bottom line, this is a scam. Do not use this distributor.