Zip Web / Unauthorized charges

Company offered fraudulent free ZipWeb-Pay-Per-Click free for 1 month. Before the month was up, evident Nothing was happening, I called their 800 number 800... and was assured service was discontinued and there was no charge. Through my phone company, Verizon, I've been billed a total of $644.19 for nothing!

Verizon claims the law requires that they accept this type of 3rd party billing with no obligation to insure the credibility of the company or the services. After 10 phone calls and getting the run around from eBusinesssvc Isp Mofee (866-60...), Pay One Billing [protected]) and Zip Web, I'm told I must deal only with Verizon. Verizon, of course tells me to deal with Zip Web.

I'd like to add that the phone conversations with the Verizon people, though frustrating, were pleasant. However, the company's involved in this 'scam' were rude and nasty.

Internet fraud. Illegal billing fostered by governmental laws requiring my phone company to accept 3rd party billing for which they know nothing about. The law enabled my phone company to bill me for a scam company - EBS On Line..

Sh

More Zip Web Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Fo
  21st of May, 2009

As someone who once worked for E-Bridge aka ZipWeb (Hi Eric and Don!) I can honestly say that the business is a scam through and through and I feel terrible that I ever applied for their office in Encino (you can probably find them still looking for gullible people via craigslist under customer service & encino) thinking that this was a legitimate company.

First off, I was a customer service rep whose main job was to receive calls from disgruntled people who had been magically been billed to their home phones and were looking for a refund. We had meetings every week about different ways to politely tell the customer that they weren't getting a refund while trying to keep them on as customers. We got reprimanded if the customer complained enough to their respective phone companies.

Secondly, my job entailed setting people up for their listings on Zipweb.com. Besides the fact that zipweb.com is nothing more than a "skin" of Google maps with ABSOLUTELY no functionality of it's own, basically a fake search engine they tell you will help bolster your sales, is a lie at best. There were times people would call in and ask where their listings were found and I was instructed to "pretend to look it up and then tell them that there was an internal error that prevented the listing from going live and the listing should be up within 72 hours". This of course was to frustrate the customer more and hopefully enough that they'll say "forget it" and leave it alone.

The simple truth of it all is that ZipWeb and E-Bridge are full out frauds that are taking people's money. For what? It could be one of the owner's son's coke habit or the lavish trips overseas but whatever it was, I caught on about 4 months in that there was no legitimacy here and it was about time to leave. Lucky me they fired me not too long after because I "asked too many questions" and had a sense of morality about myself.

Here's the real kicker--the majority of the ZipWeb, E-Bridge and USABD customers DON'T EVEN KNOW that they ARE customers--and are partly to blame for not checking their phone bills thoroughly enough. On the same floor as the call center is a QA department whose job is to screen the initial calls made to the customers that sign them up for the "service". Yes, the calls are from overseas in a Phillipine call center and the wording in the script is built to make the customer pay attention to the agent's accent and miss the dialog.

If you want to do something about this crappy company taking your money for nothing, here's what you do:

1. Lodge a complaint with the BBB in your state. (ZipWeb is spending money and time to clean up their image there--too many complaints and the BBB will give them a "bad" rating)

2. Lodge a complaint with your phone company. And get others to do the same. whether they are E-Bridge customers or not) Every complaint makes it easier for the phone company to stop doing business with them. There are several phone companies that don't do business with E-Bridge anymore so it is quite possible.

3. Write letters and set up a petition to send to your Attorney General. Enough heat will call forth an investigation; it'd be even better if people from different states came together and made a "chain" effect that couldn't be ignored.

4. Tip off your local newspaper and television station. This would be a very interesting story for a station to get wind of--especially with all the documentation from past and present "satisfied customers".

5. Write E-Bridge directly.
Let them know how good a job their doing by sending letters to their corporate office in Encino, CA. Address them to Don or Eric when you do and use as colorful a language as you can.

Here's the address:
16133 Ventura Blvd. #855
Encino, CA 91436

He
  11th of Jun, 2009

Zip Web Host contacted me via phone. They promised to contact me at least every week or so to see how I liked the service and before they billed me at the end of a 'free' 30-day trail. I did get three different calls asking if I received an email with a link to the site. Each time I told the caller no I had not gotten the emails and was assured that they would send it again.

When I went to the website I could not even find one ad for my business anywhere by zipweb. But I did find two businesses in my direct area - both which have been out of business for over a year.

No call was received before the end of the 30-day period. The first letter I received from the company came March 31, 2009. That day I called and cancelled - no problem the operator was nice and gave be no hassle over the cancellation. But she did neglect to tell me the 30-day period ended March 24, 2009. My April Embarq Phone Bill was charged $99.95 for the 7 days.

This company had no intention of fulfilling anything. They're counting on you to be to busy to remember and try to get a few months charges over on you. If I had called and cancelled when I received their letter I would have had two months billed to me before I got my phone bill.

I will be contacted my states attorney general and better business bureau over this fraud.

Zi
  13th of Jul, 2009

This people are more than skum, they stole money via lawstar then they stole money via msnb2b and now zip web you sould also file a complaint with your local Public Utilities Commision office they are the ones who matter more than bbb or attorney general, i hope they end up going to jail

Pe
  21st of Jul, 2009

They've gotten on my phone bill twice without my authorization. Thank goodness I check the bill regularly and got the charges removed. Even so, and even with a complaint put in to the phone company so that they won't approve charges from ZipWeb any more, they still call me constantly. Five phone calls just today. I'll be looking to complain to anyone who will listen.

El
  4th of Aug, 2009

I received the same offer. Called Verizon immediately and they said they could put a block on all third party billing though my phone service. They put this block in place right away. So you can stop the bills, don't know about getting rid of bills already on your phone company statements.

Fu
  11th of Aug, 2009

I just received a call from ZipWeb, urging me to "verify" my business information for a "free up graded listing" While I was on the phone with them, I searched the company through Google. When I found this article I started referencing it to the caller form Zip Web. Poor Girl got flustered and hung up! Thanks for posting this and now I know what to do if they call again, or try to bill me!!!

Pr
  14th of Sep, 2009

I just received a call from ZipWeb wanting to verify our company listing information because we were being honored as being the featured business this month for google, yahoo, msn, ... when I started questioning the rep, she got rude, wouldn't answer my questions, and hung up. Thank you for posting these comments for all to see and now I have educated many others of this type of calls.

Li
  17th of Sep, 2009
Zip Web - Billing without authorization
877 in my zip
Florida
zipweb.com

30 day free trial turned into $99.97 a month nightmare of automatic payment on billing of Verizon invoice.

Mi
  30th of Jan, 2010

I suggest ZIBWEB.com is the best local search engine because you can easily find your local businesses compared to other search engines like local.com, google and yellowpages so i don't believed those people who think that zibweb is a ### but in reality it's not, why don't you just try it and see for yourself first how this zibweb gonna work for your business, i'm pretty sure it will generate more customers and popularity and ofcourse more money to your packet and cash to your savings account.

Qu
  8th of Feb, 2010

i receipted the call from zip web 2 weeks ago, and agree with them to list our company for a month for free, now i want to cancel it, and i try to call their 1866... number but no one pick up the phone, we have only 2 days lelf, whai can i do now? does any one have any ideaS?thank so much(they will charge us $999.99 a month0 So we really need help fast, thank so much every one!

Jo
  18th of Feb, 2010

Quanam, Call 1-877-466-9947 to cancel. I was lucky to be working the phone the day they called my hotel, which incidentally was on Saturday when most of the decision makers for a business aren't working. Was told by a lady with a heavy accent (now i know Phillipine) that my business had been chosen and that I was going to get a packet in the mail explaining everything and a customer rep. would call me. Well after about two weeks, I got nothing and i was already skeptical about it after looking at there website after I the first call. And then i started to do more research on the company. Yesterday, I called them asking that i received no packet, the rep told me she would send me an email with my business username and password and that would have all the information that would have been in the packet anyway. Today after reading what "FormerZipWebEmployee" posted I called and called without any difficulty. I was asked why i was cancelling and told them because of all the reviews I read. It's a clever scam...I see on www.zipweb.com search that a bunch of upscale hotels in Dallas are signed up with them and none of them have updated their listing adding keywords and their website to their listing. They have so much overhead, accounting probably doesn't even know about the charge.

Me
  4th of Mar, 2010

Same exact thing here!

Verizon should be ashamed of themselves for allowing these scammers to steal from hardworking people just trying to thrive in this difficult economy!

Gt
  5th of Apr, 2010

Our business recieved the same scam phone call today. My wife (who usually answers the phones for our business) handles these by rudely hanging up. I was on the phone answering a few questions while googling this scam. I quickly told zipweb.com that I was not interested in their service and hung up on them. I have some good news for AT&T customers. I called the ATT billing department at 888-944-0447 and they can now block all 3rd party billing with your authorizatio to prevent these scams from billing your phone bill. Just call them up and set up a block. Hope this helps someone else.

Ja
  20th of Apr, 2010

Thanks for the first and the ZIP WEB post above, I googled as they made their offer and tried to confirm my info. Wow, they hung up fast when I mentioned that i discovered they had made false charges to other companies regarding the same featured listing of the month for the Seattle area. Thanks for the warning I'll call AT&T and put on a block.
Jack Small business owner in Seattle.

Ma
  26th of Apr, 2010

I requested a 3rd party billing block from Verizon back in December. I requested a full refund with Zip web said they would do. I have never received a refund. Today four months later they are saying my account is past due and I owe them $5000.00. I have filed complaints, contacted Verizon, but have not had any luck. They are saying I signed a contract with I never did, if I don't pay they said they will turn me over to a collection agency.

What are my next steps?

Lu
  27th of Apr, 2010

Just got off the phone with a postal inspector who is trying to shut them down. I was scammed by them almost 2 years ago and had completely forgot about it until the postal inspector called today. Sounds like someone is trying to go after them so hopefully they will be shut down. So beware of any sales calls from Zip Web and do NOT authorize anything with them.

Ru
  27th of Apr, 2010
Zip Web - Fraudulent company--will not return call or allow me to cancel
Zip Web
Washington
zipweb.com

I've been contacted by Zip Web and offered a free month of featuring me on the web. I have tried to call and cancel this service, but haven't been able to reach anyone. From the other complaints about this company, I see that it is a scam. Do not give them your information.

Di
  5th of May, 2010

After telling them to take us off the list and to not call and finally explaining that I would file a harassment suit with my Attorney General the calls still persisted. So just do what I did call thier CEO Mark Cave, the VP of Operations James Stockman or thier President Danny DeMichele at (323) 525-3900. You will probably only make it to the receptionist (the one I got was nice and understanding) but eventually she'll get the message to them.

He
  10th of May, 2010

got my verizon phon bill to day, it said usabd fee of $99.95 tax and fees $107.70; wow I was told that someone would call me to see how I like the web page yet know one ever did. I had no web, address no phone yet thay could put something on my phone bill.cancel is now a must that is fraud and bs as well.

Vt
  12th of May, 2010

I've been dealing with this company for the last six weeks. They charged me $375 through AT&T. I called the moment I realized it, and was told the same law as the original poster about third party billing.

ZipWeb says they have an audio recording of me agreeing to the charges, but they haven't been able to produce it. I've called at least six times, and each time I'm told there's nothing they can do until they get the audio. I'm at my wits' end and I don't know what to do!