WaMu / Refuses to cancel lost debit card

1 San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18007887000

I lost my debit card at a rock concert the other night and called the number at WAMU to cancel the card. It was my debit/credit card! They refused to cancel it because he said that my balance in my checking account was $1.25 overdrawn. I said, "so what?" My card is lost or stolen, I want it canceled, one thing has nothing to do with the other. I went on to remind him how WAMU gives me $100 to hang myself with. The allow me to debit up to $100 out my account when I don't have it. This is so they can charge me $35 each time and $35 when my balance stays overdrawn for more than 2 days. I reminded him that I use it at the gas pump, fast food places, etc... without entering a pin or signing anything. I again asked him to cancel the card and he still refused. I asked for his supervisor - she started to tell me the same thing. I became very angry and said some vulgar things to her and hung up. As usual with WAMU, anything I need done, any kind of customer service issue will ONLY be resolved by going into a branch and speaking to a manager. Oh, but not any branch. You must take the time to get to know the people and how reasonable or caring they are versus how many times they will tell you "NO". It took me 2 days to get that card canceled. After 2.5 weeks without a card, I had to call & then visit a branch to get a replacement sent to me. This bank is the worse one I've ever seen. They don't know what they are doing, or what they are saying, and it varies from branch to branch.

More WaMu Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Va
      18th of Oct, 2007
    WaMu - Deceptive advertising

they took it upon themselves to set up an insurance policy for life insurance without my knowledge and drew money form my bank account and put my account in overdraft.

• Tr
      11th of Mar, 2008
    WAMU(Washington Mutual)
    5717 S. vermont Avenue
    Los Angeles
    California

I have experienced the most horible nightmare because the negligence of one of Wamu's now an ex employee. We are completly disgusted with the way Wamu have handle our account. Not only have Wamu screwed my credit I was about to loose my houses because of incompetent Wamu employee. Thinking that the Wamu employee said that he knew what he was doing. I was about to loose my house and messed up my stellar credit. Now I am trying to fix the mistakes that have taken place unfortunately no one has helped us really with my situation. I NEVER RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE BANK OR A CALL OR EVEN AN E-MAIL STATING THAT THEY DID NOT RECEIVE THE PAYMENTS. Which I am shocked because I have automatic auto pay. The WAMU employee filled out my paperwork wrong and that is why I never received any letters telling me I was late or that I was going to loose my property and thinking I was in auto pay and they would take my money from my checking account monthly to do the monthly payments. Until I went to ask the balance of the loan I find out that they don't even want to take my payment anymore . The employee said he wanted to help me to get a lower rate so he needed to closed one account and re opened another account and he explain to me that everything was going to be the same that they would take the money auto pay like before and just to make the monthly deposits and it would cover because they would take it from the checking. WE NEVER RECEIVED ANY LETTERS THAT WE WERE LATE OR NOT MAKING THE PAYMENTS. OMG!! How was that possible that the emloyee was sending the loan information not to my mailing address!!! WAMU DOES NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT WAMU HAVE PUT US THROUGH BECAUSE OF THE NEGLIGENCE OF THIS FREAKING EMPLOYEE OF WAMU. WELL SPENT 1 complete day in the bank and they did not really help me and did not even informed me that THE IDIOT NEVER PUT ME IN AUTO PAY I THINK THERE INTENTION WAS FOR ME TO LOOSE MY HOUSE THERE WAS AN OBVIOUS INTENT TO TAKE MY PROPERTY BECAUSE NO ONE INFORMED US THAT ABOUT THE SITUATION. WHEN WE WERE IN THE BANK THEY DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO TAKE MY PAYMENT. I TOLD HIM TAKE OR ELSE I WILL FILE A COMPLAINT. THEY FINALLY TOOK THE PAYMENT AND GIVES US A NUMBER TO CALL AND THEN I FIND OUT WE ARE IN COLLECTIONS. I HAD TO GO TO A DIFFERENT BRANCH BECAUSE CLEARLY THEY DID NOT WANT TO HELP ME OR DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY WERE DOING. PLUS THEY IT WAS THEIR EX EMPLOYEES WHO DID THE MISTAKE! I WENT TO A DIFFERENT BRANCH AND THERE I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK. THEY TELL ME I OWE MORE THAN SEVEN THOUSAND BECAUSE I MADE A PAYMENT IN THE MORNING. I HAD NOT PAID SINCE THEY CHANGED THE ACCOUNT BACK IN 2007. TO MAKE THE STORY SHORT I TOOK ALL THE PAYMENT AND TILL THIS DAY NEVER CALLED US BACK. I BEEN ON HE PHONE AND THEY NEVER RETURNED ANY OF OUR CALLS. THE ONLY THING THEY TOLD ME IT WAS EN EX EMPLOYEE AND SORRY. I AM EXTREMLY UPSET, FRUSTRATED, AGGRIVATED THAT I WILL FILE A COMPLAINT WITH CONSUMER AFFAIRS, BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND EVERYONE WHO WILL HEAR MY COMPLAINT!! WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT JUST LOOSING MY PROPERTY THERE INTENT WAS TO KEEP MY HOUSE. THAT IS SO DISHONEST AND I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE THIS BEFORE I HAD OUTSTANDING CREDIT. I NEED MORE THAN JUST AN APOLOGY LETTER I WANT FOR THEM TO FIX MY CREDIT HISTORY BECAUSE OF THEIR NEGLIGENCE OF NOT DOING THE PAPERWORK I AM PAYING FOR THEIR MISTAKES!!! HOW UNFAIR!!! THINKING AND TRUSTING WAMU WITH MY PROPETY AND MONEY THIS IS TRULLY SHOCKING THAT A BANK CONDUCTS THEIR BUSINESS LIKE THIS & HOW UNPROFESSIONAL THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE!

• On
      20th of Mar, 2008

Taken out my money from my account without my permission and now i am overdrawn in my bank account.

• Kr
      23rd of Apr, 2008
    WAMU
    1600 N. Plano Rd., Suite 2500
    Richardson
    Texas
    www.wamu.com

On 4.23 I deposited more than $22k into my business account. I was told that the funds would be placed on hold. When I asked why the teller could only tell me that it was because it was a large deposit. I questioned her about it because the deposit consisted of six checks from different companies. The deposit receipt said stated that WAMU would allow me access to $100.03 between today and 4.25. On the 25th they would free up $4900. On May 2, they would give me another $781 and the balance (more than $17k) would not be made available until May 8, two weeks after the initial deposit.

I called our branch to talk to the branch supervisor. She said that this is a new process and that any check over $5k would be subject to being held. I advised her that out of this deposit only two checks were in excess of $5k, so how did WAMU justify holding all of the funds and how did they determine when they would release certain amounts. Unfortunately, a logical answer wasn't given.

I understand that banks will put funds on hold from time to time, but it seems WAMU is taking advantage of my money. By placing a two week hold on a major portion of my funds is ridiculous. Does WAMU not realize that checks can clear in a matter of days, not weeks?

If WAMU puts this type of hold on my funds then it restricts my ability to pay my suppliers in a timely manner. My business is fortunate to have a strong cash flow. However, it alarms me when WAMU can place a hold on funds without a logical explanation and then expect me to be okay with it.

I've been banking with WAMU for more than 5 years, but it is showing signs of unfriendly banking practices. It appears to be time we look for a new bank.

• J
      23rd of Apr, 2008

Unfortunately this bank is not doing anything that most--I do believe all--banks do, because they can. Federal Reserve Regulation CC allows this. Regulation CC regulates bank customer rights a lot more than it regulates banks. It is a long, drawn-out treatise that on the surface appears to be holding banks to certain standards regarding matters such as availability of funds; however, upon scrutiny one will learn that the standards are so skewed in the banks' favor that the only right customers get is the right to be infuriated. Your bank can make exceptions for you if it wants to. Mine (U.S. Bank, not WAMU) would not make an exception to make my funds available for well over a week even though the check in question cleared the paying bank the day after I deposited it! Basically, my bank had my money and would not give it to me. Join the unfortunate crowd.

25th of Apr, 2008
    WaMu - outright Theft

Free checking!!!
    And $33 overdraft fees...
    Three in a row, I am in total $5 overdrafted, but the cost is $99
    You gotta be kidding me.
    I'm from Europe, so some things in the U.S. are new to me, but not this expensively new.
    In Holland, once I was 18, I could overdraft up to -$400, and after turning 21 I could go $800 "in the red".
    Apparently, at Wamu. regardless of how much, it costs you $33 every time.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST CON I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED!!!

Be Warned...

8th of May, 2008
    WaMu - WaMu credit card liar says I am 160 days behind I am not
    www.wamu.com

Says on credit report I am 160 days late called Equifax they refuse to remove this from credit report I have proof I have never missed a payment Wamu/providian is nothing but a scam this company should be shut down for there lies they love to lie to credit report turned me in to collections for no reason they are asking for $800 in late fees and and over limit fees I have been paying them the whole time they are just making this debt up some where I should only owe $2, 150 not $3, 925.89 this debt is increasing every time I pay them.

8th of May, 2008
    WaMu - Don't do business with them
    www.wamu.com

WaMu took it upon themselves to report my credit card stolen & consequently locked up my "auto ship" accounts online. I'm disabled & rely on those accounts to operate properly. They told me I reported it stolen. I'm blind, not stupid. 4 days later - still no card. Sent it snail mail (10 days). So I went online & applied for another on (0% interest 6 mo, 10, 000 limit) and they emailed me the 16 digit # (I would rather have my gums scraped than do business with them) proving that they COULD in fact email me a credit card #. They just refused to do so. I'll make sure I do everything I can to keep anyone I meet from doing business with them.

• Je
      20th of May, 2008
    Phone: 800-788-7000

How about an option to speak to a person? Why does it have to take a half an hour of going through the wrong prompts, and having the computer hang up on you over and over? Success only comes after selecting the wrong department, then having someone transfer you over where you need to be, though they won't just give you the right number so you can call next time!

• Te
      30th of Jun, 2008

I have direct deposit into a wamu account and I have a lot of activity. I also work a job from home where I have to deposit the pay checks into the bank. This bank will not honor my pay checks. These checks are payroll oriented from West Corporation, here in San Antonio. This is one of our cities largest employers. They only want direct deposit. Well, I don't. I have a savings account to save in, and it covers me when I run low in checking. They transfer funds from one to the other erroneously, and unnecessarily. There will be money in the account when a transaction comes in, and it may be close, but not nsf, they will transfer some money, charge me $10 for the transfer and $35 for being nsf. I will call them, and get no where. I want to know why they have phone support people who don't know the time of day. These are the most worthless phone people I have ever seen! It doesn't matter what my issue is, they cannot help me. I lost my debit/credit card at a concert, called them to cancel, and they refused. He said that my checking was overdrawn $1.25, and he couldn't report my card lost or stolen until I brought that balance to a positive amount. My reply was Maybe someone has already used it and that is why my balance is negetive. Stupid - you will mark that card as lost and you will cancel it. He refused. I requested a Supervisor who started to tell me the same thing, I screemed profanity and hung up. Knowing that I will have to go in to a branch to get any issues resolved. And it depends on the branch I go into, how many times they tell me no. I hate this bank. It is the biggest rip off, scamming for fees, lying in their advertising, and they basically suck donkey dicks.

1st of Jul, 2008
    Wamu
    1730 S. El Camino Real
    San Mateo
    Phone: 800-788-7000
    www.wamu.com

I have been with wamu for 1 year and they have gotten $1000.00 dollars out of me from there' overdraft' fees but when I call them they have a different story they would say you must put money in by 12:00 midnight then they said 11:00 pm then 9pm 8pm and today they told me that I have to put money in by 4:00 pm pst. FUNNY how the rules change everyday it's something else.

If someone knows how to deal with this bank please help me/us with the fools going up and up with the gas we don't need are money took from us for nothing.

• Ph
      1st of Jul, 2008

Try not spending money before you deposit it. That's a sure fire way to avoid over draft charges.

• Da
      5th of Jul, 2008

Banks have become addicted to overdraft (OD/NSF) fees, over limit fees, and late fees. They keep increasing even though customers do not usually default on paying the bank back.

Billions is ripped off from the middle and lower class to increase the wealth of the upper class. This needs to stop.

Here’s a survey about these kind of fees…

• Vi
      21st of Jul, 2008

I have been with WaMu for years and I remember when they were the "good guys." Now they are the WORST THIEVES IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY.

It's not uncommon to get hit with OVERDRAFT FEES like that. I once got hit for a buck.

The overdraft fee further takes you in the negative and you GET HIT AGAIN AND AGAIN WITH OVERDRAFT FEES. THAT'S WRONG! IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

No wonder why they are going out of business.

EVERYONE CLOSE YOUR WAMU ACCOUNTS. GO TO B OF A. I JUST OPENED AN ACCOUNT AND AM VERY HAPPY. THEY ARE THE LARGEST BANK IN THE WORLD SO THEY WILL NOT GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

EVERYONE CLOSE YOUR WAMU ACCOUNTS IMMEDIATELY. THEY ARE THIEVES!!!

• Ga
      21st of Jul, 2008

Not a very nice welcome to banking in the US, is it? Still, since it was your first time to incur overdrafts with them, I hope you tried calling them up to get them to reverse the charges. About 5 years ago, when I first got hit with overdraft fees at WaMu, I think they reversed a couple of overdraft fees for me the first time that it happened. It don't hurt to ask...

• Lu
      13th of Aug, 2008
    WAMU
    Colorado

Is there any department in the government where all these complaints can be sent? I googled WAMU complaints and am horrified to see pages of complaints. I would like to send my complaint to the right department or congress member.

• Da
      15th of Aug, 2008

wa mu has caused damage to my credit & the early loss mitigaition is taking to long

20th of Aug, 2008

I've been WAMU VISA card since 6/08. During this time I've tried to make a payment online, over the
    phone. Each time they say payment accepted. Then two weeks later I get notified payment did not go
    throught. Three times, three different call takers, payment still not accepted. Now they say one number
    in bank accout number was wrong. They've closed account because of their mistakes. WAMU SUCKS>

• Jb
      20th of Aug, 2008

If you are having trouble, try to make contact in person and allow customer service to do their job. They are there to help you. If something is not clear to you, ask the bank representative to explain it again.
    I have been in your position, myself. It's painful. I have adjusted my banking behavior by allowing WaMu to remind me of, or when possible, take care of for me, repeating tasks with deadlines.
    A banker named Edie helped to create the new me.
    J

22nd of Aug, 2008

Well, at least you have the strong cash flow you talk about. I have no business so I'm living paycheck to paycheck. What infuriates me is that WAMU will wait for your funds to be low to better their chance of collecting overdraft fees. If my funds are low, checks, debit/credit transactions will amazingly post the same day to put my account into negative. If my funds are ok then all these transactions will be put on hold until my balance is low. I admit I don't keep good track of my records. But that's why we use a bank, no? I've tried following my balance through the internet, ATM, phone. None of them give me my actual account balance. I deposit a check and receive an ATM statement with an "available" balance written on it, only to find out there was a check withstanding which had not cleared and that money was NOT "available." I'm not sure if any lawyers can look into this. Any idea if all they're doing is legal?