Virginia College Online / CREDITS WILL NOT TRANSFER

1 MOBILE BIRMINGHAM, AL, United States Review updated:

I was forced to finsih my degree at VC Online due to the fact that no one and I mean no university or college will take their credits. I was told when I signed up that most if not all of the credit would transfer to most any colleges. I earned an associate's and if I want to go for my Bachelor's, I would have to start from scratch because none of my courses, inclduing the general ed courses will not transfer. This was truly a waste of my financial aid and I wish I could get my money back as I won't have enough aid to start over, never mind my time.

If anyone knows if I can sue them please let me know.

Comments

• Vk
      23rd of May, 2011

You should definately speek with an attorney. I don't think they charge you for the initial consultation and if they feel it is a good case they may not charge you anything except a percentage of the lawsuit when VC settles.

• Do
      2nd of Jun, 2011

Are you surprised. Do you know how to use Google. Anyone that dont know the same accredidation agency that accredits University of Tennessee, Georgia or any other REAL college is not going to accredit the worthless degrees for profits are putting out... so your money is wasted, you owe loans that will take years to pay back and now your screwed.

We dont interview anyone from a for profit university. They didnt learn anything and we dont need to waste out time with them.

6th of Dec, 2018

@done it When I interview candidates, I look for grammar. It shows attention to detail.

• Ho
      3rd of Jul, 2011

Well, all you would be students, don't say you were not warned. The US government has made the for profit "schools" put new disclosures on their websites. It has the total cost for their programs and they are high. You could go to ANY SEC major university and of douse ANY junior college for what VC is charging. $21, 000 to be a medical assistant that earns $25, 000 per year. RUN don't want away from this place. Every program I looked at had huge expenses to them. Look here to see

31st of Jul, 2011

I had the same thing happen i want to get my bachelors but cant bc there credits don't transfer any legal path i can take please let me know...

• En
      11th of Sep, 2011

I have had many problems with Virginia College. From financing, classes and with the personnel. I would like to know if we can bring a class action lawsuit against them. Why does the federal loans and grants get approved for this bogus school and then they refuse to disclose our borrowing information from us. Someone at the school is keeping our money that we have to pay back and the money that is to be used to help with financing our education. Fraud is definitly running wild at this school and we seem not to ba able to do anything. If I could at least get the school shut down so they cannot commit fraud on anyone else would bw a win. The Federal government needs to step in an audit their books.

• Co
      18th of Jan, 2017

@enoughofthelies I'm in if we do a class action. I was told I would owe nothing if I graduated with 4.0 I graduated top of the class and have a ton of debt. Also told that credits transfer. Corinna.allen@ yahoo.com is my email if you start lawsuit I'm in

• Mo
      12th of Sep, 2011

I agree totally. I made a complaint to the BBB and they sided with them! It is a mess to say the least. They promise the world and deliver nothing. I can get no one to take even there general ed credits. If you find someone who will take the lawsuit, give them my name too please, I will definitely sign on.

9th of Nov, 2011

Here is the deal... you spend $21K or more for a worthless degree, that will be laughed at over and over again... if all of your stars line up and you are lucky enough to find someone stupid enough to hire you... it will takes years to payoff a $21K loan making $25K per year... I think actually you will be able to get it forgiven before you pay it off... it takes 25 years of carrying a school loan before you can get it forgiven... but you have to live 25 years with it on your credit report... that is a bummer...

Go to a community college... Alabama and all other states are full of them... they are cheaper and the degree will mean something...

20th of Jan, 2012

if you think that spending $30, 000+ on a degree from this place will get you a job... now some do get jobs... mostly the one that learn a trade, but you have to massage a lot of people to pay that loan back...

Go to a community college, credits will transfer and your degree will not get thrown in the can...

• Ir
      6th of Dec, 2012

I have found a Law firm who is researching the possibility of a class action suit against Virginia College. Current or past Virginia College students who have questions about refunds or compensation for tuition and time they invested in course credits that they cannot transfer as needed can contact the lawyers of Aylstock, Witkin, Kreis & Overholtz at 888-255-AWKO (2956).

• Lu
      10th of Sep, 2013

This has been an interesting and difficult read. I guess I did not have the same experience as a lot of you. I graduated with a DMS degree 7 years ago from VC at Austin. I was really lost, just getting out of the Army and not knowing what I wanted to do. I signed up...worked my hiney off, studied hard and passed with honors. I had to move for my first job ($49, 000) down south. I was not happy to move but you got to do what needs to be done... paid my dues for a year and then moved to San Antonio making almost 60, 000 a year. I am very grateful to VC for helping me learn a trade. I might have just been lucky with VC but I can't hate an organization that helped change my life.. Yeah, I might have a 29, 000 left of debt but that's peanuts compared to a lot of others with 4 year degrees making less than I do. Anywho, I am sorry for those that feel shafted or those that did not get jobs. I
    -SL

• Ne
      18th of Jun, 2018

So I just applied to go to another college just to find out the my credits from Virginia college are not acceptable. i don't think it's right and if I can't use my credits, I don't want the debit! This makes no sense and nobody can even give me one name of a college that would accept the credit. I have been looking for schools for all must two years. Then the school tells i'm good for my credits to be transfer, only to be in the middle of the term and now they tell me they can't accept my credits. Like i'm confused at this point!! This is heartbreaking because it's like I did two years of college for nothing!

6th of Dec, 2018

Instead of those people talking trash about those whom are in this situation, let's try to help, shall we? Now that Virginia College is in its dying troughs, many will need this help. Don't be the jerk like sawmecoming, doneit, john ford iii, and HolyMoly...etc. Thanks to those people for nothing.

If you're trying to transfer or continue your education, you can continue the "for profit" school path and look into DeVry, Sullivan, and Univ. of Phoenix. They may be able to help and are the best shot at transferring all credits.

Otherwise, your best bet is to get an appointment at a local community college or university to transfer in. Gather ALL pertinent data, including your unofficial transcripts, coursework, syllabuses, and even books (leave in the car). Most registrar's offices will try to help. If you can provide enough of the evidence of the class on an individual class basis, you can request a registrar manager's review. Remember; each school controls what they will and will not accept; they do so every day on a case-by-case and class-by-class basis. They are there to help you get enrolled. This means you might get some credit for these classes if you provide a solid rationale and evidence. Be prepared though, it is likely that a lot will be lost.

But don't give up there. If they deny a class or a few classes, ask about trying to set up a class review to see if you meet the criteria for credit on a class. Some colleges offer testing equivalency if you show enough for but not enough to gain credit for the class outright. If that doesn't work, ask about local CLEP/DANTES sites and if you can go that path. This way, you save time and money on classes you already took and with these, you get accredited credit for these classes on an official transcript.

There are a lot of ways you can progress, so don't give up. There are entirely too many resources available to throw in the towel. Those are a few ideas to get started. Two caveats: If you're almost done with a vo-tech cert, try to finish quickly to get out from under them or any FP school. If you're starting off; go straight to a local community college and bypass the FP route. This is the exact same story as all the for profit schools, but this advice can also be used for all them as well.

Best of luck everyone!

6th of Dec, 2018

@TheMunkinutz One more thing; don't settle on transferring to the school unless they are accredited and accept the majority of your classes. This is why your performance in the school is important! It shows your dedication to adult education, regardless if they accept courses or not. Don't forget to be very polite and understanding with them, as they are the decision makers in this! An ounce of charm can only help in this...

Lastly; look for financial assistance. There are college grants for everyone and everything! Single mom, minority, left handed, hazel eyed (these two actually exist!), organizational grants (Lions club, VFW, KofC, Rotary Club, Eagles, Elks, AmVets, Legion, the list goes on...).