VIP / Scam and rip off!

62 Bay StreetWinslow, ME, United States Review updated:
Phone: 207-474-9159

I own a 1999 Camry CE. I was told that it needed new tie rods at about 135000 to pass the state inspection by the local VIP dealer here in Maine. I did not have the money so I took it off the lift and started for home. On a hunch I stopped at a local repair shop. The Camry passed the state inspection and now has 168000 miles with the original tie rods. The same VIP store also told my daughter that her 2002 Dodge Caravan with 80000 miles need tie rods the very next week.

Guess what, she went to the other garage and passed the inspection. VIP threatened to call the State Police if she did not replace them as the van was unsafe. She told them to go head, in fact she would call them herself. They relented. Be care who you believe.
Va

Comments

Ma
  28th of Dec, 2008
I have been charged every month for something I am not used. I want stop this this now.
Le
  21st of Nov, 2011
I took my 1969 F100 in great nearly fully restored condition to be inspected at
VIP in Norway. It needed a back up bulb, a tire lug, and the emergency brake tightener. I explained this first. Into inspection it went. Out they came and told me my radius arm bushing needed replacing and i needed a new right hand steering rod. And they would do nothing about the light, emergency brake, nor tire lug. I examined the front end with the mechanic and store manager. I told them I was very unhappy about this front end so called problems being totally unfounded. Taking my truck back to a specialist front end shop where i had the front end adjusted just two yrs ago he reinspected it saying it was just fine. Thus I had it inspected and it passed fine. Contacting the district "C" area manager i finally met up with him at the same VIP shop. He appeared not to be a mechanic himself. We went over the front end again. This time they admitted it did not need a tie rod but the radius arm bushing had to be replaced, period. Then came the threat to have the state police inspect it. Very fine I said. Leave it right on the lift and let em inspect it. So much for that bluff. Now I have it resolved to the point where I am going to have the state police inspect it myself. No question they are doing the same with lots of elderly folks. Now is the time for me to get my undeniable inspection and sue. They have try to back the wrong man into a corner.
Sh
  28th of Jul, 2016

VIP - Broken Hood Latch
VIP
Ellsworth
Maine

I took my Ford Focus in to our local VIP for a diagnostic to find out what was wrong with my heater. They ran the diagnostic and told me what part I needed, also saying that my sway bar (which had been replaced only a couple months before) needed to be replaced. I knew that wasn't true so asked for a quote on just the heater part. The cost was a bit more than expected so we decided to search online for a cheaper part and install it ourselves. When the part came in however we discovered that the latch under the hood was gone. The day the car went in for the diagnostic I had checked the fluids and the latch had been fine. We took the car back to VIP to report the issue and were told that the latch had broken off when they ran the diagnostic and they hadn't bothered telling us. They said they had replaced it with a smaller latch (which required forcing your hand in under the hood to reach) but that they would order another for us and call us when it was in, replacing it for free. When we didn't hear anything for over a week we called and were told that the latch that was currently on the car was the stock part and they they would not be replacing it for us. So, not only were we lied to about unnecessary repairs needed but we were uninformed of damage caused to our car while in their care and then brushed off when this was brought to their attention. Needless to say, I will never be taking my vehicle to VIP again.