Vintage Glider / Don't ship what they promise

I would like to share my experience with Vintage Gliders of Danville, VA., for the benefit of others.

I purchased a restored vintage metal glider from them recently. I live in New Orleans, so I had to have the glider shipped to me, without seeing it first. The risk was even greater because of the company's policy of no credit cards; you have to send them a certified check. Well, they're just about the only ones around offering this product, so I took a chance.

On the plus side, they did ship me a glider in a reasonable amount of time and it was the size and style that I ordered. They promise that there will be no rust through and that it will glide properly, which was true. They also promise that it will be free of dents, which was not quite true. Okay, there were no really big dents, but it certainly wasn't free of dents.

The big problem was the color. I chose the glider I did because of a beautiful, professional paint job displayed on their website. The six basket weave areas of the glider were painted in six, alternating concentric squares, yellow-white-yellow-white-yellow-white. The glider that arrived was painted with six pure white basket weave areas. And they weren't even painted that well (an underlying darker color could be seen showing through). The unique, more complicated paint job pictured was a primary reason for selecting this glider and for paying the not inexpensive price.

Well, prior to the arrival of my glider, I was able to contact this company easily, which I did several times to clarify one thing or another. They screen all calls through an answering machine / service. However, I was always connected promptly to someone who identified herself as Tamara Winstead. After my glider arrived however, I was no longer connected. Every attempt to speak with someone either resulted in a message that no one was available or a prompt to leave a message and someone would return my call. No calls were ever returned. Curiously, the day after my glider arrived and I first called them, the picture of the glider I ordered mysteriously disappeared from their website (although I did save the webpage before they did that).

So anyone considering buying a glider from these people would be strongly encouraged to pick it up in person. If you are planning to have it shipped out of state as I did, beware that you might not get what you paid for.

Va

More Vintage Glider Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ro
      21st of Jul, 2008

We also had a problem with vintage gliders. We ordered some straps for a glider which they advertise on their web site. We were charged for the order but it was never shipped. As this customer, we were never able to contact them again. The line was always busy or we would get a message they would return our call and they never did. So as this person advised i would be weary of ordering any thing from them..

• Me
      5th of Aug, 2008

I also had a problem with vintage gliders. I ordered and payed for a glider, two chairs and a side table and only received the glider. They blocked my number after I called to tell them I did not receive the chairs and table. Also, the glider was the wrong color- but that was small compared to being ripped off.

• Ka
      16th of Aug, 2008

Hi there,
    Just browsing through.I also ordered a custom glider from Vintage Gliders last year.I did receive what I purchased.I was actually pleasantly surprised.It was shipped two weeks later than expected but other than that everything went fine.I plan on ordering a couple of chairs in the near future.

• Ni
      25th of Aug, 2008

I ordered a glider and two chairs. They came but the quality on the powdercoating was terrible and one of the chairs was too rickety to sit in. It was returned and I never got it back. I had to eat $395. The same thing happened to me. This Tamara Winstead woman cut off all communication.

8th of Jul, 2009

no answer to inquiries
    no human to talk to

• Be
      1st of Oct, 2009

I was going to order from them, but these complaints are alarming. Did any of you ever have your issues resolved?

• Ko
      1st of Sep, 2010

I got totally screwed by Vintageglider.com
    Don't buy from these dirtbags.