US Periodicals Inc. / Fraud and cheating

US Periodicals contacted my elderly Mother, and convinced her that they could get her a great deal on a magazine subscription. She agreed and gave them her credit card info, and was charged $119.60.

A few weeks later, she received a card in the mail that her subscription was about to expire. A call to the magazine showed that no renewal had been sent to them, and they did not deal with a company named US Periodicals.

US Periodicals was called, and vicious woman named 'Sam'. She said that the magazine wouldn't know them, and that they worked through a company called National Publishers Exchange. This woman lied about talking with me days before, told me she didn't have a number for the National Publishers Exchange she worked through, and would not give any other company info. She would not give any information out about how to contact this company. An internet search revealed several National Publishers Exchange's, none who were contacted have heard of US periodicals.

Repeated calls to US Periodicals proved likewise fruitless.

La

Comments

• K
      28th of Feb, 2009

Repeated calls to US Periodicals proved likewise fruitless.

• Ta
      3rd of Aug, 2009

This woman needs to get a grip on life. I have worked for this company for 2 1/2 years and have seen 2 complaints on the web. We handel over 300 new subscriptions a day. This lady didn't get what she wants...so she is trying to make our company look bad!

• Ry
      13th of Aug, 2009

I was ripped off by this company too!! This lady Susan is full of SH*T BIG-TIME!!! When they called me to get me to pay over the phone I was very skeptical and demanded that they send me a bill/invoice. Once I recieved the invoice, I called the company to be sure they were legit and I was fooled into thinking that they were. I also asked specifically why the subscription service was being handled by them and not PB, they explained that PB contracted out the subscription service to them - BIG LIE!!!. I started getting renewal invoices from PB direct and called them again - they said they inputted my zip code incorrectly and that is why my subscription order was not processed - Well they sure had not problem with my zip code when they sent me my bill!! Anyway, they assured me they would RUSH out the last issue that I was missing in a plain white envelope and I should see it in 2 days - well it has been 10 days!! I called back and guess what - phone number is no longer in service. I am sure PB would love to know about how US Periodicals is ripping them off by luring their customers away, etc.

• Td
      6th of Nov, 2009

They've screwed me over too. They called my home phone even though I was on the National Do Not Call list and then got a recording of me saying "ok" to something that the caller said and tried to use that as proof to a collection agency that I had ordered a 3-year renewal on my magazine. I like the magazine, and while the price they offered was terrible I paid it just to make the issue go away. That was 5 months ago, and my subscription still hasn't been renewed as agreed, even after many attempts to contact US Periodicals to clear this up.

• Pe
      26th of Nov, 2009

Last year, I renewed my National Enquirer with "Subscriptions Direct!" by phone, it was supposed to be a 2 year subscription but it was only for one...National Enquirer didn't have anything to do with it so they couldn't help. So at the end of the 1 year it lapsed. I thought of maybe renewing but after that...I was reluctant. It stopped in early September - Now it is late November and I received a Account Summary that looks like an "invoice" from US Periodicals...They want to charge $114.40 for 1 year - National Enquirer charges only $98.80 so there is NO SAVINGS from this. It looks to me that the scam is that the Subscriptions Direct! and US Periodicals are from the same scamming business in Phoenix, AZ - I am not renewing with this US Periodicals and will NEVER subscribe from any outfit that calls me and solicits my business via the phone ever again...I will ONLY subscribe from the ACTUAL magazine business.

• Us
      9th of Mar, 2010

I was just called by them, telling me that my existing magazine subscription is going up by $1 per week, and offering to lock me in at the existing rate if I renew now. It was SO scripted. Then the supervisor called me back and asked for my credit card number. I told her that I do not give it over the phone, especially to people that call my house. She was kind of snotty and asked if I would pay an invoice in one payment immediately if they mail it to me. I think this may be the same company that I did a renewal with a couple of years ago. That went fine. But then I started getting calls for deals on other magazines - and they offered to let me pay using the same information as before - which tells me that are are retaining that financial information. All sorts of red flags going up here!

• Ta
      16th of Mar, 2010

This person is a complete idiot!!! They said that we called to have the m subscribe to a magazine and then to pay for it. We asked them to pay using a credit card which they said no...then we said we would bill them. How does that make us any part of other companies that call and say "they have there financial info"???? We had to ask for it...other companies said they have it!!! what a complete ### to compare our company with others!!! get a life jerk!!!

• Pe
      24th of May, 2010

In Aug, 09, I was contacted by US Perioicals regarding a subscription to National Enquirer for $114.40 for 1 yr. I agreed, and paid with my credit card. I had to call 5 times to get it started, was told it takes awhile for the address labels to be printed. I finally started recieving N. E. the third week of Dec, 09. Then I noticed the subscription would expire in May, 10. Called numerouse times, finally got some one who said, "Oh, don't worry, we write some of them that way, but it will automatically be extended some time in April". I started calling in mid May as I recieved a bill, not another 6 mo extension. I have called about 10 times. The phone has a message saying there lines are busy, leave a number & they will call back. I did, but they haven't. I am becoming So frustrated, and am no longer getting the Enquirer. Nat'l Enquier won't/can't help, as the order was not taken by them. Altho they ultmatley got the money. Is there any recourse? What have others of you done?

• Be
      14th of Jul, 2010

THIS COMPANY IS RIDICULOUS! im a 25 year old girl WITH NO KID!S! I'm not even married and somehow I get an issue of WORKING MOTHER magazine to my house that I never subscribed to. I called Working Mother, they tell me to call Priority One- that they can help me cancel it. But I call Priority One and they tell me that I have to call US Periodicals because THEY received the subscription to this magazine for me. So I call US Periodicals and they dont answer their phones. NO ONE IS THERE TO ANSWER THE PHONE. IVE BEEN CALLING ALL DAY.

Now tell me. HOW IN THE WORLD is it possible that I- the recipient doesn't even have the power to cancel the magazine coming to ME. This is absolute ridiculousness. THIS KIND OF POLICY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

WHAT KIND OF BS IS THIS. I want an official government regulated place I can complain about this to, if any one has any suggestions.

• El
      30th of Sep, 2010

Why want you answer your phone tazbo40?

• Ju
      2nd of Oct, 2010

You are all correct with your complaints!!! I am a former employee of this joke of a company! I'm sorry that you all have had the same scammy results! We are trained with a script to purposely misinform you of your subscriptions. You might have had some lines saying that, "Your subscription rates WILL be going up" and that "they already have on the newsstands", when in fact they haven't! Some of the employees have said that your subscription has already ran out when you possibly have 2 more years on it! I have heard countless times of people not even getting what's due to them and that pisses me off! I'm sorry I worked the 2 weeks I did there! As soon as I found out about their practices, and hearing what others were telling these subscribers over the phone, I left! Now they think they can get away with not paying their or former or current employees! This company is Evil, as well as the 2 owners with no souls or regard for others! Believe me, I will not stop fighting this company until they stop!

• Cr
      13th of Jun, 2011

Complete Fraud and scamming business. elderly people beware. why hasnt anyone shut them down yet and they are still in business. they are scammers along with Priority one clearing. if you receive a magazine from any of these people that you didnt even pay for, they will try and get you.
    here are their phone numbers: priority one 727.443.2200/ U S Periodicals. 602.824.9851 please report them as soon as you receive anything.

• Mi
      17th of Apr, 2013

I renewed using the National Enquirer renewal form. I received a bill from USP indicating it was for my Enquirer renewal. Paid it...have now received two bills from National Enquirer...they have no record of my payment. And my subscription has expired. I called the number above and of course got a recording. Told them I will file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's office within 24 hours if they do not respond to my call. I've received calls from these folks several times over the years; but, refused to do business with them. How did they know I renewed my subscription with the Enquirer??? Sounds like a good case of FRAUD and RACKETEERING!

• Ry
      31st of May, 2013

Total Scam. This company has an "F" rating by the BBB with over 100 complaints in the last 3 years. Their "renewal invoice" absolutely screams scam job to me, especially since I know exactly what my magazines' renewal letters look like. Their "invoice" is intentionally vague and misleading and I could easily see how this would fool someone who was not paying close attention. Avoid US Periodicals at all costs.

• Mi
      1st of Jun, 2013

I got my final notice from the National Enquirer basically threatening my credit if I don't send them the $108.00 for my subscription. Their response back to me when I informed them I had paid US Periodicals was basically "TOUGH LUCK". They don't seem to care that another company is playing them for the fool as well. All I can say is that I will NOT pay the Enquirer in addition to US Periodicals and because of the veiled threat to harm my credit, I will NEVER again purchase NOR subscribe to the National Enquirer. One thing I will do is see them in Federal Court if they even think about putting a negative remark on my credit report.

• Mo
      16th of Jul, 2013

I'm very glad that everyone wrote their comments to let me and others know what has happened to you. But more importantly, have each of you reported to the BBB and the Arizona District Attorney to get some justice for all of us and to keep this from harming anyone else again.

• Jk
      3rd of Sep, 2013

I received a subscription offer in the mail today for National Enquirer from this outfit. I thought
    the total mailing looked suspicious: PO Box, weird Phone No., computer generated forms, rubber
    stamp return envelope, etc. Glad I took the time to check it out. Thanks to all who wrote in.

• Ca
      24th of Jun, 2014

I received a notice from US Periodicals for the National Enquirer. I chose to pay in four payments .
    I have made 3 payments and have not received anything except a bill for the final payment.
    After reading all the other comments about this company I haven't attempted anything else.
    I also agree that this company should be shut down by the Better Business Bureau. I guess
    I will try to call them but I have been scammed.