Menu
Home Magazines & Newspapers Mountain Area Communications
T
5:52 pm EDT

Mountain Area Communications - magazine scam

The same thing happened to me and after a lot of research I have finally figured out a way to shut these people down the FTC has already closed the doors on several other companies that are involved in the same type of dishonest magazine sales scams. You can read all about it here http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/05/magazine.shtm. Please everyone that has been scamed by these people go to FTC.org you can file a complaint under the consumer protection tab it only takes a few minuits and if they hear from enough of us mountain are communications will soon be gone. here is some helpful info they will ask you when filing your complaint address 186 Campbell Dr, Sneedville, TN 37869 phone (423) 733-8022 and companies web site mountainareacommunications.com lets shut them down if they don't exist wew on't have to pay them !

3 comments
Dec 07, 2010 6:23 pm EST

Report all poor business practices to the Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ - interstate fraud is a federal crime.

Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm EDT

man this some ###

Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm EDT

man are u payin them i aint payin ### cuz i aint take ### ### that

12:52 pm EST

Mountain Area Communications - Harrassment/Fraud

I signed up to get 8 magazines a month for 39.95 a month for a year and a half and then they said I would get a year of magazines free plus a 1000 dollar shopping spree. When I received the details of the shopping spree I instantly wanted to cancel and when I signed up they told me I had 30 days to cancel. So I called to cancel and they told me that I couldn't that I had already agreed. I was very upset because the website is just junk and then if you do decide to order you have to pay the shipping which is worth more than the merchandise itself. They wouldn't let me cancel so I decided to just settke for the magazines. I never ordered any of the junk off their site. I was supposed to getting 8 magazines a month and up until last month I had probably recieved 8 magazines altogether in three months. I filed a claim against Mountain Area Communications with my bank in January because I can't afford to waste 40 dollars a month and they were just taking it out of my account. Before I filed this claim I also tried to contact Mountain Area Communictaions several times and they never answered. Once they were unable to get my money out of my account they started calling me every other day and I told them what was going on. They have a girl named Alisha working for them that calls me every time, very heavy southern accent, last time she called she said she was with the claims department and I told her to please stop calling and she said she would call until I paid them 800 dollars. I told her that I don't plan on paying them because they haven't came through on there part of the deal. She then told me that I lied to my bank and that she would be in contact with them. I told her to do what she had to do that made her frustrated so she started threatening me with what would happened so I hung up she kept calling back and I didn't answer. She has called me four times this morning and twice yesterday. I'm going to get legal advice and contact the Better Business Burea of Tennessee

5 comments
R
May 17, 2011 5:27 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

The only way to cancel your service is to write a letter telling them that you would like to cancel. I too had similar issues with them and every time I called they told me I could not cancel or if I did I had to pay a early termination fee of about $400. I wrote them a letter and told them I wanted to cancel my service and I contacted the BBB and they responded stating they had canceled my acct. If you avoid them like canceling your debit card or canceling your bank acct they will just send your acct to collections, then you will be served by your sheriff's dept with a judgement and will have to go to court and it will ruin your credit.

Dec 07, 2010 6:19 pm EST

L
Oct 24, 2010 12:26 am EDT

Mountian Area Communications or The Publishers Service Is a Scam
They tell you your getting 6 mags for 3.85 a week you can save it up and handle it three or four months at a time then after you agree they transfer you to there gift dep. which is the person right infront of them thers nothing professional about them its one big room with a bunch of people in it. sp when they transfer you over a woman asks you for a debit card and get money off it and it dosent go back on it either. and you dont get the shopping spree in 3 to 5 bus days if at all you get a thing you have to fill out and send in to get it and the stuff on the web site isnt worth a buck but you will pay 1000 for the shipping and handling fee there a bunch of dirty liars that arnt trying to help you all they want is your money and if you dont have a card or any money thell hang up and go to the next one its sad really

M
Jul 26, 2010 1:18 pm EDT

After reading all the complains against this company, I called them to try to cancel. They refused, so I called my bank and had all transactions from them blocked. There is a way of getting around them.

K
Apr 01, 2010 9:52 am EDT

I am working on ways to stop payments with my bank right now. I have let it go on for to long already. Like you I called and tried to cancel to and they wouldn't let me. Lucky for me my dad is a bank manager and he is looking into things. If any lawsuit does go through for this company I would really appreciate the information. They not only charge me 39.95 a month but also 19.95 which is what they told me they would get my monthly charge down to when I first called and complained so basically the still charge me the 39.95 and on top of that they are charging me an additional 19.95. This is total crap and I want it to stop.

D
7:06 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I got a phone call from these "clowns" telling me what a great deal the magazines were in exchange for a 1000.00 dollar shopping spree. When they first contacted me they already had my credit card number so I listened to them and agreed to try their magazine subscription. After I started seeing how much the magazines were going to cost I called and spoke to...

10:18 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find any fault with a COMPANY THAT EXPECTS CUSTOMERS TO LIVE UP TO THEIR END OF THE DEAL!!! I mean, they sent me my $1000 shopping spree, I used and enjoyed it, so I realize I should pay my end as well!!! Besides, 6 magazines at JUST $3.85 is a STEAL!!! Also, I know that when I was put through the verifacation process they...

H
5:43 am EDT

Mountain Area Communications - tried to cancel magazine but they said I would have to pay 1000.00 to cancel

they called me saying that I won 1000.00 shopping spree on the internet then they said I would have to buy magazines for 29.90 a month for five years cause they prepaid the magazine out of there pocket I gave them all my personal information bank accounts, social security, and my address. they sent me an envelop with reciept of payment and agreement and a piece of paper saying I have to mail it back to them to receive 1000.00 shopping spree, so I did that. Then maybe one or two weeks later I receive the 1000.00 shopping spree but it says "sorry for the inconvenience but this company can't send merchandise to Hawaii and that I can give it away to someone in the mainland, and they also said here is a three day and two night vacation for u but I have to pay for the reservation and the trip. haha funny right. I called to cancel but they said I would have to pay 1000.00 I said no then they said they can cut to a lower price 500.00 I said no then they said 300.00 I said no never I called back when I figure something out. and hanged up

9 comments
Dec 07, 2010 6:16 pm EST

Report all poor business practices to the Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ - interstate fraud is a crime.

Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am EST

My daughter ended up getting involved with this company. I did not know about it until the second month of her 'subscription' when this company double charged her account for the monthly payment. This caused her account to go negative, and have 8 overdraft fees. When we called the bank, they said the company if definitely fraud, and to contact them to advise they have to pay the fees. We spoke with Paige, who was very rude, and told us we would have to speak to Cindy the next day. But, Cindy is only available for 6 hours a day... B.S.! I called back and was transfered to Jacqueline. She apologized but said that my daughter authorized a double payment, which was complete crap. She then said they would refund the duplicate charge, but that the bank would be responsible for all the overdraft fees when they realize it was an error. We called the bank, and they said MAC would be responsible as they caused the negative balance to begin with. I called Jacqueline back, and she asked why my daughter continued to use her card, and I told her flat out she was within her rights to use her card for funds she thought were available to her. She asked what bank it was, and when I told her Wells Fargo, she said to fax a copy to her so they can dispute it with the bank, because, according to her, they have had numerous issues with Wells Fargo paying back overdraft fees. We did send the fax, along with a nice letter advising they have 14 days to issue payment. If they refused to do so, they need to provide a letter stating why, as we would need to include that with our complaints to the BBB and the MN Attorney General. We received a call the next day stating they were issuing a check as they just don't feel like arguing with the bank. Funny thing... That is exactly what the bank said they would tell us! They also stated my daughter could cancel with a $500 fee as she agreed to the terms of cancelation. I asked to see it in writing. She stated they have her on tape verbally agreeing. Verbal agreements are not valid in all states. When I advised her of that fact, she said because they are located in TN, my daughter goes by their laws. Absolutely not true. When this company does business in another state, they have to abide by that states laws. They agreed to cancel the subscription for two monthly payments of $49.99. We told them we will call them when the refund check is received. We have no intentions of paying them the cancelation fee. Our bank advised if they did turn it over to collections to dispute it with the fact that due to the problems they caused in her account, they should be able to waive the two $49.99 a month cancellation fee! I will be posting negative feedback about this company where ever I can. I am writing to the BBB, and the MN Atty. General. I urge anyone who has had issues with them to do the same thing. Get your State Atty. General involved! This company needs to be shut down for good!

T
Nov 21, 2009 10:03 am EST

I had a run in with them also. I came across some information somewhere on the net that mentioned writing them a letter to cancel. I gave it a try and haven't been billed for that since. There was another business they signed me up with that I had to deal with as well, but that was much easier to cancel. I put all the details in a blog post as http://scamvigilante.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/cancel-mac/.

Oct 14, 2009 11:23 am EDT

I was recently scammed by mountain area communications same as several people on this site. I however didn't let them bully me into accepting their bs about how there was nothing I could do. I immediatly called the Better Buisness Buero, the Federal Trade commission and I was prepaired to finish my complaint with my attorney General. As a result, Mountain Area Communications buckeled and canceled my account. So all you really have to do to make mountain area communications tuck tail and run is be as big a pain in the ### as humanly possible.

F
Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm EDT

Call them at [protected] and ask for their collections number. They can't transfer you to collections but they can give you that number. Then tell them you want to cancel. They'll go into a spill about it being prepaid but that they can cancel for like 70% of your total balance. Keep giving them hell about it and make up some excuse and they can go down to 55% of your total balance. You're still going to have to pay but when you do pay one of these percentages, you'll still get the magazines for however many years they promised. Or you could tell them your calling the BBB and the atourney general and keep giving hell with that and sometimes they'll let you cancel with 2 or 3 monthly payments.

L
Jul 28, 2009 12:54 pm EDT

Would someone please post the number for cancellation?

M
Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm EDT

could you plese give me the number to the company so that i can try to cancel? my email is [email protected]

Jun 07, 2009 7:05 pm EDT

You cannot cancel for 1000 dollars, or 500 or 300. You just can't. You can cancel the order for a percentage of the final balance on your account because it is stated to you when you are in verification that they are prepaying the magazines for you in advance. That's why they ask you not to cancel.

Also, you're not paying $29.90 a month for 5 years for these magazines. You're paying $29.90 a month for the first 20 months then you pay nothing for the remaining 40 months of the service.

You can't just say "no" and cancel the service. If your account goes too long without payment, the account is sent to an outside collection agency where your final balance becomes due along with a hefty service charge for the collection service. I know this from experience. I wish I had just paid my monthly bill. Now my credit is messed up because I didn't pay it and I ended up having to pay it anyway in the end.

The company is legit. I started receiving my magazines about 3 months after I started the service and they did stop until I paid them in full and now they're coming again. The company really does offer what they say they do. I just wish I had known that ahead of time.

May 05, 2009 12:53 pm EDT

So just say no? and they won't bother you anymore? I NEED HELP I WANT TO GET OUT

11:29 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have tried and tried to cancel my account only to find out to my disbelief that they want to me to pay $1000 for all these magazines and I'm not even getting all the one's I wanted. They lied to me about how much to pay a month. They told me $3.99 a week...so $15.96 a month. Not bad huh? Yea until I got a bill for $49.90 a month. I tried to cancel but...

ADVERTISIMENT
Is this your company? Claim your business, engage with your consumers, leave official public responses, track complaints and customer replies at no cost. Get free account