US Passport Agency / fake promises, no passport received!

I first tried to obtain my U.S passport at the beginning of this month. When I went to a local post office, the clerk told me that she can't ensure whether or not I would be receiving my passport in time. She informed me that if I would go to a local U.S. Passport agency, I would be receiving my passport within 3 days. After many attempts, I got through with one of the representatives when I called the 877 U.S. Passport service number. He told me to call back when it is exactly 2 weeks before my departure date. I called back exactly 2 weeks before my departure date, and after 10 hours of attempt, made an appointment. My appointment was on the 21st. After I paid for my passport fees, the expedited service fee AND overnight shipping fee, the official who handled my paper works told me that I would be receiving my passport by that same Friday, the 23rd. He also told me that if I do not receive it by then, to call the toll free 877 number for the U.S. passport services. To much of my surprise, I didn't receive my passport. When I called the 877 number, the representative told me that my passport would not be completed until Monday, the 26th. I am expecting to travel on the 27th and really need my passport. When I complained to the representative, he wasn't being much help by telling me that I should have applied for my passport in advance. What are people without passports to do in dire emergencies and need to go out of the country?

Comments

• Ki
      7th of May, 2007

It's been about 11 weeks waiting for me. I feel your pain!

• Je
      9th of May, 2007

I leave in 1 week and have been waiting 11 weeks for my passport. Everytime I try and call the 877 number, I get disconnected due to high call volume. I live in Buffalo, NY and was told I might need to make an appointment in Boston! What? So now I supposed to fly to Boston to get my passport before I leave the county???

• Gr
      14th of May, 2007

I a writing in frustration regarding the passport system. This starts back in March 15, 2007 when we applied for our passports. We applied at the Woodward park Station 755 E. Nees Ave. Fresno, CA 93720 and the passport representative/the person who took our money assured us we would have our passports in plenty of time. When no passport came and I could not track them, I talked to Bob in the New Hampshire office and several other operators/supervisors. I spoke with Bob on May 3, 2007 and Bob promised me our passport to be delivered on May 9th the latest May 10th (I wish I would of recorded the call)when that didn't happen I contacted the Passport office via the telephone number posted on their official website. I followed the prompts when I call on the recorded message and then a message announces that there are no agents available I did this several times. So I call back again and again, and again, Maybe this time I will get an answer. Finally, I get someone on the phone. I tell the operator/assistant the story and he can't even find us in your system. I ask to be passed to a supervisor her name is Willamena, she finds us in the system and she assures us we will receive our passports by Monday, May 14, 2007. She suggests that I call on Saturday to get the tracking number. So again I call and call and call I finally get through, I am on hold and get hung up on all over again. Finally I get through this morning and I speak to an operator and they can't see any tracking number. I ask to talk to a supervisor and she tells me that I will probably have to make an appointment at the LA office I guess to get a passport express service. She passes me to the automated appointment department and I go through a list of dates and there is no dates available for appointments at the LA office. So I call back again and only by sheer luck I get through right away. I spoke to Brett in the Kentucky office, he passes me to Laura his supervisor and she says they will send an email to have the agency contact me today. She says to call on Monday so I do that I just got off the phone with Sara from New Hampshire she tells me I am most likely not going to get my passport in time. My girlfriend applied for her passport at the end of March she paid for a expedited service and she got her passport two weeks later. To me this is the government runny a muck. Basically this shows that if you give me more money I will give you your passport. i am going to email everyone/agency that I know and tell my story. The sad thin is I am told I am only talking to a national call center. We are being told a pack of lies for these guys and our tax dollar pays their salaries. If there is anything I can do to solve this please help me!!

We have purchased our tickets and spent over $3,000.00 for them. I am so upset with the whole process. Again, the cashier from the Post Office said we would get our passports in approximately 6-8 weeks and we would be able to track them on line in 3 weeks. We have not been able to do either. Everything that I have been promised has not happened. Please, my husband and I are 55 years old and are really looking forward to our trip of a life time...

• Ev
      23rd of May, 2007

I applied for my passport on April 28 and paid the expedited fee of $172. I was told that I would received my passport in two weeks. My friend applied for her passport on April 26 and also paid he expedited fee and received her's in one week. I am still waiting for mine. I check the status on-line and I keep getting a message that it is being processed. I have tried everyday for hours to get a representative on the phone with no success. My trip is scheduled for May 30th and I don't know what to do. I think it's just crazy and ridiculous! This is the US we should be able to handle the increase in applications as well as any other country but yet again we fall short. I am so angry and frustrated because I have been unable to get any help at all!

• Cl
      26th of May, 2007

I applied for my passport w/ my brother on March 13. We were told we would receive them by May 9. We most certainly did not receive anything. So on May 21, I called the help center because I'm scheduled to leave tomorrow, May 27, and he says he will send an e-mail... Thanks buddy, because when I called again on the 23rd, the person said that there was no record of me calling or an e-mail being sent. I had the senator call my congressman. He called the people at the passport agency and they told me all I could do was make and appointment in DC (2.5 hours away) for the next day... The day of my final exam. There was no way I could make it and there was nothing left to do. So when I spoke w/ them again yesterday, they gave me a tracking number and said that both passports had been sent out that morning. FedEx has no records of the tracking number or any package coming to my address... I'm scheduled to get on a plane in 23 hours... Sadly, I won't be... Even worse, FedEx won't run on Sunday (tomorrow) nor Monday (Memorial Day). The earliest I leave is Tuesday night or Wednesday. My brother and I were planning on going to Europe by ourselves for a new adventure before he had to start his real job and before I had to go back to school. Worst experience of my life... and I've wasted a good chunk of my life's savings... thanks US government.

• St
      29th of May, 2007

Does anyone have contact info of someone whom we can complain to that will make a difference... Or is this just a B!(&^ session?

• Br
      30th of May, 2007

My girlfriend is in the same boat as everyone else here. Here are the basic facts (as i have emailed this story so many times I am tired of typing it).

- She applies March 06 (note I apply March 14) we leave June 04
    - 7 Weeks later, it cant be tracked online
    - We email, and they say its in Charelston
    - We call shortly after, and they can't find it... few calls later
    - They have her birth date wrong!!!
    - Call back 2 weeks before departure, they do nothing.
    - I receive my passport May 21... Thats right, i apply later than her, and get it long before her.
    - We call Tuesday May 28, they say they wont talk to us till friday.
    - That being a load of crap we call Wednesday May 29, they say we wont do anything till 48 hours before departure.

We are now out over a thousand dollars, but much worse, we are out of a rare opportunity for a wonderful vacation abroad.

Words can't express my anger.

31st of May, 2007

I've always wanted to take my girlfriend with me to Japan. I have traveled there many times and love the place. In the first week of March we went to apply for her passport. They told her it would be here by the week of May 20th. I realized I lost mine, and went to re-apply for my new one the next day.

No passports yet.

After about a week I finally get through to an operator. I give her my info and she says that she will process it, then she talks to my girlfriend. We are laying in bed (this is about 6:15AM because thats how early you have to call if you want to get in touch with them without saying CALL BACK LATER) and I said, "So what did she say to you before she hung up?"

"Oh, that it's not a for sure thing that we'll have them before we leave." (Mind you, she was half tired).

"WHAT THE [censored]?!?!" was all I could say. I've been trying to get back on the phone with them ever since (90min) and still no way of getting in touch.

Reading these stories has scared the crap out of me. I've always wanted to take my girlfriend abroad and show her something new, something she has never been able to see.

When we first applied, they told us May 25th. So I got my plane tickets and hotel for June 10th. If you are all having these troubles... Who's to say they aren't lying to me as well.

• La
      31st of May, 2007

We missed our overseas vacation since the passport came 3 days after the departure day. That is after I called for 2 weeks every day trying to expedite it. I applied March 11, and the Postal worker assured me that there is no need to expedite since our trip is May 26. She also said " You can just call in the 4th or 5th week and have it expedited. Just give them the credit card info and they will process it faster" Seemed so simple.

Hours and days on the phone, the 1-877 representatives say that the only thing they are doing is "sending messages" to the processing center. The rep also said that there is no guarantee that someone is actually reading these messages or doing something about our desperate requests.

I guess we have to deal with it now since the chances to get reimbursed for the cancellation and rebooking fees will be not be paid but by us.

• Bo
      31st of May, 2007

Same crap, different day. I was promised my passport in 8 weeks. I've been waiting 12 weeks. My flight leaves in 6 days. I've tried contacting the National Passport Center 1-877-487-2778 number day and night for the last two weeks. I've NEVER gotten through to anyone. The "try again at another time" message is all I hear. The online checking your status is useless. It says that my passport is being processed and has said this for the last four weeks. I sent an email status check (available form the National Passport Center webpage) and got a response saying that "per my email" they would let the appropriate people know of my urgent need for a passport. Yeah, right. I also contacted my congresswoman who took all my information and said she would call back Wednesday (yesterday) or Thursday (today) and let me know what she found out. I won't hold my breathe.

4th of Jun, 2007

I originally applied for my passport on feb 15,2007 for atrip i had purchased for over 2500 dollars for me and my finance to become engaged. At the courthouse i was told 6 to 8 weeks so they said i had plenty of time being that the trip was not until may 15.

Well as stated b everyone else the 1 877 number is a complete let down and i often think the messages that are on there just run continuously. Well two weeks all the way to 2 days prior to my trip i was constantly lied to being told that my passport was being expedited . It is now june 2 i have missed my trip and almost 4 months later no passport i am outraged it only took awake for the fee they charge to be taken from my account. Who do you place formal complaints with about this total mess of a situation.

• Cs
      4th of Jun, 2007

I'm curious to know which passport office everyone's applications are being sent to? Mine was sent to New Orleans, 12 weeks ago.

• Ei
      5th of Jun, 2007

Hope someone can sue the agency

6th of Jun, 2007

Apparently there is a complaint department. You have to write to: National Passport Center, 31 Rochester Ave. Portsmouth, NH 03801-2900

• Ad
      8th of Jun, 2007

I applied in march 19th. As of today i still do not have my son's passport. The people answering the phones are more than incompetent. DON'T WAIT FOR YOUR PASSPORT!!! CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN OR GO TO A PASSPORT OFFICE ASAP. Don't believe them when they say it will be there tomorrow... it never will. In less than two minutes i had my congressman's aide expedite my passport. Called congressman this Tuesday afternoon and i have my passport in my hands today, FED EX delivered it this morning. So don't even bother calling the Passport agency, just have your congressman take care of it. it's the only way you'll get it on time.

• Bo
      21st of Jun, 2007

I did finally get my passport, but this was due entirely to my congressman. I contacted them just days before my trip and they made enough "noise" to the proper people and got my passport overnighted the day before my trip. Ironically, the passport laws were changed one day after my flight out of the country. Apparently, the government was aware of the problem, I just wish they would have done something about this earlier so that people didn't have to miss out on trips.

• Le
      1st of Jul, 2008

Applied per instructions at a US postal office thinking they would know what they were doing.

Week + later I received a letter that documentation was missing. I verfied at the PO and through toll free number that these two additional items were all that was needed. Yup yup.

Received a call today that more documentation is needed. Called the toll free number to ask why? Was told that the US passport service is NOT one agency and each and every passport application is up to the discretion of the agency/office that receives it.

It should be on the US passport webiste that this application procedure is anything but a procedure, unless you want to compare it to an appointment with a proctologist.

• Da
      23rd of Jan, 2009

My fiance applied for his first passport in July 07. They kept him waiting till end Oct, then said he needed to provide more ID. He took in more ID. They said it would go through in time for his flight...he was coming to me in UK for Christmas. £ weeks before his flight was due to leave, he was getting panicky...called and they said his application was being processed. One week before his flight, he called again to be told it was being refused due to insufficient proof of ID.
    Too late to cancel flights, he lost all monies, and his passport application fee was not refunded either.
    He reapplied in April 08. I went to USA to go with him. He submitted many documents...they refused all but 2...his birth certificate and his work credit card with photo ID. (He had no drivers license at this time) They chose those 2 pieces of ID from all he offered, said that was all that was needed. He offered army papers, work records, medical records, mortgage papers, you name it...all deemed unnecessary. In June 08, he contacted them again, and was told it had been shelved due to lack of ID. They said they needed his drivers license and his mothers AND fathers death certificates. By now he had his license back, so took it down, and applied for the death certs. When they arrived, he took those down too. In October, he contacted them again to be told it had been refused because the ID reached them too late.
    He immediately went back there and reapplied a THIRD time, this time with drivers license, birth cert, mothers and fathers death certs, baptism cert, work records(he has worked for the State of NY for the past 21 years) army papers, (he served in the US Army for 6 years before that), social security number, medical papers, bank and mortgage papers, and was told, no prob, should go straight through now. Yesterday, 22 January 08, he was told this application was also refused due to insufficient ID. He has so far lost THREE application fees, $1000 for flight tickets, and taxi fares on several occasions to get to the offices. WHAT ELSE CAN THEY POSSIBLY NEED AS ID?????????? He didnt need that much ID to FIGHT for his country... but he does to travel out of it?????? He has written to his member of congress, and to the state governor. Neither has replied.
    We are distraught. We have had to cancel our wedding plans twice now. His gifts still sit under the tree which stays up year round...waiting for him to arrive. My children were very distressed he didn't make it, were looking forward to seeing him.
    Why is he being held a prisoner in the land of the free????????

If anyone has any idea what we can do to break this deadlock I would be so grateful...also, is there any way we can make them refund the application fee??? I have never known such incompetence in my life...

• Am
      2nd of Apr, 2009

This is the worst service in the world and has ruined many peoples dreams including mine. the world is now empmty and worthless because of not only a loss of money but a loss of my dream, once in a lifetime vacation. Only get your passport this way if you dont plan on ever leaving the country.

• Pa
      16th of May, 2011

I have been trying to get my passport since August 2010. It is now May 2011. I did not have an original certificate of live birth, but have followed all the steps necessary to prove my citizenship. I have sent everything requested of me, including a newly obtain Delayed certificate of birth, affidavants, childhood photos, sibling birth and early childhood records, parents proof of land ownership and early work/tax records from my teenage years. My last submission was Feb 2011. I have not had any feedback from WPC. I've called several times only to find out that the calls are answered by a call center in the midwest somewhere, not even close to the Western Passport Center. It is so frustrating not to be able to speak to one individual working on my application. All the call center tells me is that it is being processed, but they will not verify if they have all my submitted information. These people are government employees. Shouldn't they be providing efficient services to the TAX PAYERS. The last e-mail I received from a Robo-agent was to file a complaint with the National Customer Service Manager. I wonder if I will receive any better service from this agency.