US Department of Education / Faulty loan records!
I repaid my college student loan in one lump sum payment within the first year after I graduated and before any interest was due. 6 years later when my credit report was pulled i order to qualify for a home loan, it showed the loan as NOT paid and accruing interest! Since then, I have retained a lawyer, submitted copies of the original canceled check as well as all applicable paperwork and the US Dept of Education has not corrected this error. TransUnion, Equifax and Experian all told me/ my lawyer that the correction must be made by the US Dept. of Education Direct Loans people; that they cannot do anything until they correct the error.
1.) Make sure you save all of your loan contracts.
2. Make sure you save copies of all canceled checks / payments that you make FOREVER.
3. Don't accept a loan from the US Dept of Education/Direct Loans. It's not worth the "price" you will pay for the rest of your life...
More US Department of Education Complaints & Reviews
- U.S. Department of Education - BEWARE OF Scheduled Payment Feature 
- U.S. Department of Education - Horrible Loan Consolidation Service 
- US Department of Education - Americorps stipend!
- U.S. Department of Education - Interest outstanding balance
- US Department of Education - Fraudulent billing
- U.S. Department of Education - Continued attempt to ignore factual basis 
- US Department of Education - School loan payments
- US Department of Education - Incompetent Help 
- U.S. Department of Education - Misapplication of Loan Payments
- U.S. Department of Education - Workers Lie and Do Not Do Their Job/Delay in Consolidation-no good reason given