Universal Technical Service / Do not buy extended warranty from Sears
It has been my experience just now not to purchase the extended warranty from Sears when it comes to exercise equipment. We purchased a NordicTrack Audiostrider 990 on March 11, 2008. We now need warranty repair. After calling Sears, they told me that I needed to contact Universal Technical Services, who offers the extended warranty through Sears. They told me that NordicTrack warranty covers the frame, motor, parts and all labour charges for one year. This is correct according to the NordicTrack website as of today, June 9, 2008. UTS told me that I needed to contact NordicTrack which I did. NordicTrack wants me to go to a hardware store and purchase tools to take apart the machine and to mess with the flywheel to solve the problem that we have with our NordicTrack elliptical trainer. I am not comfortable doing this labour since 1) Sears sold me an extended warranty which was supposed to cover everything for 3 years. 2) UTS is the company that offers and is supposed to honour this 3 year warranty and make needed repairs as needed. 3) NordicTrack should honour their policy of covering this product for one year.
I purchased the 3 year extended warranty and should have this warranty honoured from UTS. They should cover all warranty related issues. I was asked by a representative at UTS..."Well, would you like to use your once a year (annual) maintenance visit now?" NO! I shouldn't have to use my "once a year" maintenance visit for a warranty problem. I don't need a maintenance visit...I have an extended warranty problem and it needs attention.
As a consumer feel betrayed by all 3 parties and the warranty that is offered by these companies, especially Universal Technical Services.
After being tossed around from Sears to UTS and UTS to NordicTrack, it appears that the blame and "passing the buck" stops at the manufacturer, NordicTrack. NordicTrack will send someone to check the unit and repair it for me with a $5.99 handling fee and a $45.00 service charge.
This is NOT what I signed up for when I purchased the optional 3 year extended warranty and paid for this.
More Universal Technical Service Complaints & Reviews
- Universal Technical Services / Nordic Track Treadmill - worst customer service that I have ever had the misfortune to experience 
- ICON Health & Fitness - Defective Elliptical Trainers 
- Universal Technical Services / Nordic Track Treadmill - what a complete rip off 
- Universal Technical Services / Nordic Track Treadmill - I have actually cried in frustration at this company
- ICON Health & Fitness - parts not shipping 
- Universal Technical Services / Nordic Track Treadmill - nordictrack treadmill
- Universal Technical Services / ICON Health & Fitness - Waste of money and this warranty was unavailing
- Universal Technical Services - treadmill 
- Universal Technical Services - Poor service 
- Universal Technical Services - Don't purchase