Universal Technical Service / Do not buy extended warranty from Sears

It has been my experience just now not to purchase the extended warranty from Sears when it comes to exercise equipment. We purchased a NordicTrack Audiostrider 990 on March 11, 2008. We now need warranty repair. After calling Sears, they told me that I needed to contact Universal Technical Services, who offers the extended warranty through Sears. They told me that NordicTrack warranty covers the frame, motor, parts and all labour charges for one year. This is correct according to the NordicTrack website as of today, June 9, 2008. UTS told me that I needed to contact NordicTrack which I did. NordicTrack wants me to go to a hardware store and purchase tools to take apart the machine and to mess with the flywheel to solve the problem that we have with our NordicTrack elliptical trainer. I am not comfortable doing this labour since 1) Sears sold me an extended warranty which was supposed to cover everything for 3 years. 2) UTS is the company that offers and is supposed to honour this 3 year warranty and make needed repairs as needed. 3) NordicTrack should honour their policy of covering this product for one year.

I purchased the 3 year extended warranty and should have this warranty honoured from UTS. They should cover all warranty related issues. I was asked by a representative at UTS..."Well, would you like to use your once a year (annual) maintenance visit now?" NO! I shouldn't have to use my "once a year" maintenance visit for a warranty problem. I don't need a maintenance visit...I have an extended warranty problem and it needs attention.

As a consumer feel betrayed by all 3 parties and the warranty that is offered by these companies, especially Universal Technical Services.

After being tossed around from Sears to UTS and UTS to NordicTrack, it appears that the blame and "passing the buck" stops at the manufacturer, NordicTrack. NordicTrack will send someone to check the unit and repair it for me with a $5.99 handling fee and a $45.00 service charge.

This is NOT what I signed up for when I purchased the optional 3 year extended warranty and paid for this.

Va

Comments

• Je
      1st of Apr, 2009

I just had the worst experience with UTS upon trying to 1. renew my contract and 2. making a service appointment. I have filed a complaint with Sears, NordicTrack and the Utah and State of Washington Better Business Bureaus. Describing this company as 'shady' would be too kind. Sears and NordicTrack should be ashamed to have partner with this poor excuse of a service provider.

• Re
      15th of Jan, 2010

I purchased an Extended Warranty Service contract also. When I purchased the unit and was told the service calls would be within 3 to 4 days. Not only have I not received the part after 7 days and it is still not here, I cannot get anyone out here within 12 days. When I called to complain, I was told I could not speak with a Manager and that only the Customer Service representative would help me. Not only that but I had to wait on the phone for a very long time. I would never ever buy another warranty service and I would not buy another Nordic Track treadmill. The treadmill when I oribinally bought it in 2008 broke down within 3 months.

• Fr
      7th of Sep, 2010

I just had the same thing happen to me by UTS, its increadible that a company does not have more than one employee to answer a costumers call it blew my mind to think that this imature woman was the only one i would have to deal with. I never leave bad feedback for anyone not ebay or amazon even though i have had some items that have been less than what they were discribed as far as quality. This UTS defenetly need to answer to someone hopefully the Better Business Bureaus. Im willing to say forget the whole thing and just pay for the repairs myself its not worth the agrivation to me but its a joke to believe that someone like SEARS its involved with people like UTS.

• Hm
      17th of May, 2016

I too just experienced horrible customer service and lies with this company. I purchased treadmill from Sears 2009 and bought a 5 yr warren after that expired UTS contacted me to extend another 3 yrs at $289.77 which I did. Now I called them for service and they will not send a service person because it sits in a temp controlled garaged that is made into a rec room, where it has been since 2009. I have to reverse my $289.77 on my American express card to get my credit back since unable to use there service. BTW, the attitude of the customer rep who took my car stunk BEFORE I even knew they were not going to help me. Things got ugly after that!!! Just saying.

• Cy
      15th of Jul, 2016

PLEASE EVERYONE----CONTACT THE BBB IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING TROUBLE. The Better Business Bureau rec'd 30 complaints on UTS, universal technical services. 30 have been resolved. There are another 20 pending either bec consumer not happy with result, or bec it's still being processed.

Before we renewed our warranty for another 3 years on our NordicTrack Elliptical purchased thru Sears, we wanted to know if UTS was reliable. Seems not. Seems most warranties through Sears get very low ratings from reviewers on various sites. The BBB seems to get some results. Worth a try. Good luck!

4th of May, 2018

Here I am, one more senior citizen scammed by UTS. In selling me the Agreement they said it would cover all costs associated with keeping the equipment working, now after the first service call they sent me to talk with ProForm service and they wanted over $500 for the part the UTC supplied service technician said I need. When calling back to cancel the phony agreement, UTC told me such a request must be in writing and then gave me a non-existent email address. Enough is enough, I have contacted Costco where I purchased the machine and the fraud division of the Oregon Attorney's office. Now I apparently need to contact the BBB.