United Readers Service/U.S. Collections / Threatening telephone call

Recently I received a telephone call from "U.S. Collections" informing me that I owed something like $900 in subscription fees, penalties, and collection fees to United Readers Services. I had had this scam tried on me several years ago and I was ready for it.

I asked the caller what magazines I had ordered (he couldn't tell me--privacy rules--but it was "the U.S. package), and thereafter he also couldn't tell me when I had ordered them, how much the original subscriptions were, and why, if I owed this money, I had not been contacted before this. He had no good answers to any of these questions. He also could not give me a return number at which he could be reached. They had discontinued that service, the caller said, because of all the abusive calls they were receiving. I bet!

I invited the caller to speak with my attorney; he declined, but threatened again (as he had several times already) to ruin my credit record by reporting my delinquent account to the online credit services. I told him to go ahead--knock yourself out--ruin my credit all you want, except you won't be able to do it, because you know, sir, just as well as I do, that this is a scam, and I will have no part of it. Then I hung up on him. I believe he tried to call again the next day--all of their calls come up as "unknown name, unknown number"--but when I didn't answer he let it ring only two or three times and then disconnected.

I urge any persons who receive calls like this one NOT to panic and NOT to gives these snakes a credit card number, no how much they bully and threaten you. I would add that I erred in being much too polite. I think an invitation to go to hell would be an excellent response to these people--for starters.

Comments

22nd of Jul, 2008

Clearly you've messed up somewhere along the lines...
    Either, 1.) you misunderstood the company name OR 2.) they told you the wrong company.
    No blame should be placed on this company, UNITED READERS' SERVICE. I work for it. And YES, we do have a collections dept. (clearly), however it is not handled in that sort whatsoever. So maybe those people who called you were scammers yet they were not a part of U.R.S.

13th of Sep, 2008

I received 2 phone calls from an individual calling himself Bruce Powers. He said he was with US Readers Service and was calling about delinquent charges. Claimed that I had ordered several magazine from a "US Men's Package" in 2004 and that I now owed $499.99 and he wanted payment. He threatened that not paying would affect my credit rating. He was unable to tell me what magazines I had ordered nor was he willing to provide any contact information. He claimed he would not give his phone number for "privacy reasons". I told him he needed to provide me with documentation that I had ordered and received something - he was not willing to do this. I have never heard of US Readers Service before these calls.

I finally ended the phone call telling him that this sounded like a scam and I was going to notify the police. I filed a complaint with the FBI.

• Br
      23rd of Sep, 2008

Yesterday I received a similar call in regards to US Readers Services and 17 missed payments starting in 2004. Except, when I said that I knew nothing about this and that I would not pay him anything until he proved that I actually owed it, the threat was that he was going to send my dispute request to his litigation department and they would call me within 7 days to set a court date. Today is day 1. We will see...

13th of Oct, 2008

Ok, I am a telemarketer, and I've heard alot about this company!
    They ARE scammers. Their real name is NOT United Readers' Service. In reality, they don't have any real name because they change it so regularly. They use other company names. There is a company called "United Readers' Service" located out of Cleveland. But this particular company goes by "Publishers Headquarters", "Sweepstakes Office" etc. etc. They get some simple information on you (unknown how to me) then try and use it against you by saying you owe money to thier company from such and such monthes ago. Tell them to SEND DOCUMENTATION stating the "service" you have with your authorization on it. They wont be able to. They'll just hang up.
    In all actuality, they're really beginning to upset me, because they are giving a really BAD reputation on other companies, such as mine!
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. We're not all bad guys.

25th of Nov, 2008

If you LOVE magazines its a good deal ( i guess) but if you're not a collector of them then dont give your cc #! You have TEN DAYS to cancel in welcome package should be a postcard to cancel fill it out right away!!! want the owner of Publishers headquarters personal number here give him a call not private numbers and give him a piece of your mind(he's dirty RICH cuz of people like u !)
    (310)831-0000 Ziv's his name and he might not be too nice
    Hope this helps + save the numbers they call u from !!!

• Al
      19th of Mar, 2009

Ok well I work for United Reader Service and our company does not handle our business that way. I'm sure the company you are speaking with is a scam using the same name as our company. However I assure everyone that the sweepstakes entries are real and people do win the prizes offered.

• La
      8th of Apr, 2009

hey "ally" i assure you it is URS that has been calling each and everyone of us i have even called the numbers and they answer it "United Readers Service". you people need to leave us alone and stop with all the scams and calling 24/7 and i do mean 24/7! next time you people call me i will let my 19 month old handle it!

23rd of Jun, 2009

I got hooked by United Readers Service, Inc in April.2009. Address is in Lakewood, OH. I've done the magazine thing before, and it was great-only $120. URS never told me the total amount for the magazines (Buy one, get 5 free)and I only found out by accident-it was on the back of the "welcome" letter w/free watch. I just happened to notice it days after receiving - in the middle of a small print paragraph - $963 !!!
    Unbelievable. After sending cancellation notices and receiving calls for payment (where there was no supervisor to speak to), I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online. I recommend everyone to do this. The more complaints BBB hears, the faster they will shut these scammers down!

• We
      9th of Dec, 2009

I was just called this morning. Amera from USA Collection Agency called saying that I owed 1, 500 for not cancelling my contract from 3 years ago! I asked all the same questions as you have; what magazines, when, give me the number to United Readers Services, give me your call back number and of course, she could not answer 1 question. Thank goodness for caller ID! There number is 1-917-668-9395. I told her that I didn't know what she was talking about and that I would look United Readers Services up online to get a number. Thank you all for speaking out on this!! BBB, here I come.

7th of Jan, 2010

I got the same phone call! They asked me for $1000 or they will sue me. I told them I wanted proof of what I purchased and they said they didn't know. I tried to reverse the listing in order to get the name of the collection agency, but you have to pay for that information, and I am now willing to do that. Did you file with the Better Business Bureau? What was the outcome? Should I do the same?

• Ju
      11th of Feb, 2010

My 86 yr old mother just called me all upset about a threatening phone call demanding her credit card number to pay her debt for magazines ordered. She is adamant that she did not order magazines and when asking the caller to send proof or cancel the order, the caller became that much more determined to get her credit card number. Caller ID says US Readers and all info I can find suggests it is in either CLearwater or Tampa FL. I am going to find a way to get the calls stopped - even if it takes a lawyer to do it!!

• Va
      3rd of Mar, 2010

They pulled the same scam on my 85-year-0ld mother. I am shocked and appalled by this company's horrible behavior.

16th of Jun, 2010

I filed with the Better Business Bureau online and they helped tremendously. They contacted the company and then e-mailed AND phoned me to see if the company had responded. I got a letter from URS saying I didn't owe anything and I haven't been bothered since! I can't say it enough-----CONTACT THE BBB online. It COSTS NOTHING and the results were quick.

4th of Feb, 2011

Ok id like to say you guys say they introduce themselfs as usr. I work for united readers service and we go by ursi not usr. There are a lot of scam artists out there that copy off of people. I work two telemarketing jobs and both are copied. However nothing we say nor do is fake or misleading. We've been in business since 1972 for a reason. For our excellent offers and customer service. I personally purchased the mags and all is well. So no need to slander nor try to ruin our company's rep. We do not force our customers to buy it we offer we are always 100% polite and do not force anyone to do anything. We understand how the economy is and jus try to make it better the sweepstakes are real the major list brokers enter you in. So everyone yes its real and theremight be a scam place out there but IT IS NOT US THANKS