United Healthcare / rip off

Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-501-3068

I had to have an emergency appendectomy on 09 October 2007. Was feeling sick to my stomach for about a week, finally the pain set in. Called my doctor, went in, they promptly sent me across the hall to the Surgeon who sent me down to the emergency room and a few hours later I am in recovery with 3 holes in me and my appendix gone. All well and good. Until today. I get my statement from UHC, which is my PPO coverage through my Union. I have an OWED charge of $2, 814.75 out of $2, 900.00. UHC covered $85.27, saying this was a 'reasonable charge' for the services provided. Seems the Surgeon who saved me from a ruptured appendix by about an hour wasn't IN my network. Ok let me understand: I am in gut wrenching pain, I am told 'we have to operate' at a moments notice and I guess I am supposed to ask 'OH! BTW, are YOU in MY network?' What the heck is THAT?! Are you serious?! And oh tell me where I can get SURGERY done for $85.27! I am sure this is the first of more charges. Like I HAD a choice here. I guess I should have asked then said 'Oh you're not? Well I am sorry, no surgery. I prefer to get a very nasty infection from a ruptured appendix that has the potential to KILL me because UHC won't cover this'. Yes I called the 866 number provided on my card and was told the same thing and that 'You have the right to appeal'. REALLY? Wow, thank you SO much, that makes me feel just super. We won't even go into the 2 times I have had to call to get them to pay my pain management Dr for services they said they would cover and had to get mean before they would. What a total crock of BS! You get offered UHC at work, STAY AWAY!! Go with the other plan! Don't end up sorry for your choice like I am right now as I type.
Va

Comments

Th
  6th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Oh yeah! This is typical United Healthcare. The only thing they want to do is collect your premiuyms: They could care less about your HEALTH!! I now have bad marks on my credit score because of these people.

They are truly RIP-OFF artists.
Ag
  3rd of Sep, 2010
I totally am in the same boat--we were out of town on a camping trip when my daughter came down with acute appendicitis. They have now denied it three times because we were "out of network, " even though the SPD says we are covered if it's an emergency. I have caught UHC in so many lies and deceptive business practices, it boggles my mind. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to go to court to settle this. You are lucky your bills were under $10K, my daughters were $20K. I really hope you were able to get them to pay, eventually.
Li
  29th of Sep, 2010
I hate this company. I have had so many problems which amount to the fact that they stall, stall, stall. They just don't want to pay. I call every week and one person or another has done nothing to resolve my issues. Honestly, a great many of their representatives are just clueless and give ridiculous answers...idiots. I am not surprised by your situation. What a cheap, fraudulent company! Paying the doctor $85 and suggesting that it is reasonable, is a perfect example of fraud. How do they get away with this?! I think they train their reps to use these tactics.

United Healthcare Logo United Healthcare