United Healthcare / rip off
I had to have an emergency appendectomy on 09 October 2007. Was feeling sick to my stomach for about a week, finally the pain set in. Called my doctor, went in, they promptly sent me across the hall to the Surgeon who sent me down to the emergency room and a few hours later I am in recovery with 3 holes in me and my appendix gone. All well and good. Until today. I get my statement from UHC, which is my PPO coverage through my Union. I have an OWED charge of $2, 814.75 out of $2, 900.00. UHC covered $85.27, saying this was a 'reasonable charge' for the services provided. Seems the Surgeon who saved me from a ruptured appendix by about an hour wasn't IN my network. Ok let me understand: I am in gut wrenching pain, I am told 'we have to operate' at a moments notice and I guess I am supposed to ask 'OH! BTW, are YOU in MY network?' What the heck is THAT?! Are you serious?! And oh tell me where I can get SURGERY done for $85.27! I am sure this is the first of more charges. Like I HAD a choice here. I guess I should have asked then said 'Oh you're not? Well I am sorry, no surgery. I prefer to get a very nasty infection from a ruptured appendix that has the potential to KILL me because UHC won't cover this'. Yes I called the 866 number provided on my card and was told the same thing and that 'You have the right to appeal'. REALLY? Wow, thank you SO much, that makes me feel just super. We won't even go into the 2 times I have had to call to get them to pay my pain management Dr for services they said they would cover and had to get mean before they would. What a total crock of BS! You get offered UHC at work, STAY AWAY!! Go with the other plan! Don't end up sorry for your choice like I am right now as I type.
More United Healthcare Complaints & Reviews
- United Healthcare - claims appeal 
- United Healthcare - denied claims 
- ICICI Lombard / United Health Care - they will not renew your overseas medical policy if u have claim / if u went to hospital 
- United Healthcare - denial of coverage 
- United Health Care / Fsa Provider - will not reimburse fsa funds 
- United Healthcare - harassment charges
- United HealthCare Services - dental plan
- United HealthCare Services - dental cleaning payment seems too low.
- United HealthCare Services - unable to receive coverage explanation
- United HealthCare Services - service