United Health Care Of Arizona / not covering amount of prescribed medications

AZ, United States Review updated:

My doctor prescribes 9 Imitrex (the generic) every month. I work as a Firefighter/ Paramedic in the Arizona heat and they sometimes trigger migraines. When our department switched to United Health Care I went to get my prescription refilled. Instead of the normal 9 pills (which come in a nice packet) I only received 4. They said it was a 30 day supply when I called. When I looked on-line at their website it said it was a 10 day supply. So, I am suppose to pay a $15 co-pay every 10 days for my meds. If I don't get treated for the migraines right away as the Imitrex does I end up in the ER. Not a good thing when I am on shift and need to be ready to save lives and help those in need. I have had to go to the ER before on shift before Imitrex was on the market. It was not a fun experience. Not to mention costly. I don't understand how an Insurance company trying to save money can justify this. If I end up in the ER it is extremely costly to them as well as me. So, if I am only allowed 4 in a month during the wicked heat we endure here in central Arizona I can guarantee I will have more them 4 migraines. I catch them quickly and take my meds. it doesn't effect my job performance. If I don't my whole crew is effected and can't go out on a call that could save someone's life. This just makes no sense to me.

Comments

• Ca
      Aug 12, 2011

My employer recently changed from Aetna to United Healthcare and I've run into the same problem. Yesterday I received my first Rx for Imitrex from UHC's Medco Pharmacy and it consisted of just 12 tablets for a 3-month supply. For comparison, Aetna provided 27 tablets every 3 months!!! It's hard to understand how some bureaucrat who knows nothing about me or my health issues can overrule my doctor's treatment recommendation. I guess I'll have no choice but to visit the ER once my alloted meds are used up. If we start costing them a bundle of $$$, maybe they'll reconsider this ridiculous policy. Sadly, I'm afraid we're going to see this happening more often as the cost of health care continues to rise. The insurance companies will deny treatment for the sake of their bottom line.