[Resolved] True Bicycles / Electric Recumbent Bike

Michigan Center, MI, United States Review updated:

Below are the list of issues we have had with the bicycle. Keep in mind these issues occurred after only having the bike for three weeks.

1. It arrived with a warped rear wheel. This was replaced by them after several days of negotiations.
2. The box that holds the battery is flimsy and of very cheap quality. The lid will not stay shut and clasp that is supposed to keep it shut keeps falling off.
3. The gears do not shift well. It is very clunky and frequently the chain comes off when trying to shift gears.
4. The front brake is not adequate given the size and weight of the bike. It does have enough stopping power and the pads have already had to be replaced. Also, the brake itself is of very low quality and needs to be replaced with a better one.
5. The front tire has blown twice already. In the opinion of a local bike repair shop, the front tire is too small to withstand the force generated by the electric motor and thus the front tire will continue to be problematic. We have already had to replace two tires in the span of just a few weeks now. The bike only has 95 kilometers on it.

The entire bike is of very poor quality. We paid over $2700 for the bike and it is simply a piece of junk. We have tried to work with True Bicycles to refund our money and they do not return our calls. They clearly do not stand behind their products and I would highly recommend NOT doing business with them.

• Resolution statement

• True Bicycles Customer Care's Response, Dec 28, 2016

I will reply to Mark's comment.
    The trike was shipped to Mark for his special needs son. This trike was highly customized for their sons needs and wants. The trucking company damaged the rear wheel. We shipped Mark a new wheel to replace the damaged wheel.
    The chain should never just come off the trike. Possibly, a small adjustment could have been made to the derailleur. Any bicycle store could easily perform this task.
    The trike came with a "V" brake, the same that is used on millions of bicycles today. We inspected and test rode your trike after it had been returned to us and found no issues with the brake.
    We have sold over a thousand trikes with front wheel motor kits. We have seen spokes break prematurely from the extra stress of the motor but no tire issues. I believe your problem was from an under inflated tire which will stress the side walls of the tire more. But, your claim of wearing out two tires in 95km is hard to understand.
    We are here at our location from 10am to 6pm Monday through Friday and 10am to 5pm pm on Saturday. I and my staff have talked to both you and your wife numerous times about your trike. We did take the trike back because you no longer wanted it. The trike was returned DAMAGED FROM USE and not returned in NEW CONDITION. Visa/Mastercrad ruled in our favor of a partial refund due to how the trike was returned. Mark was upset with the Visa/Master card ruling in our favor and did a second charge back. Which, Visa/Mastercard ruled in our favor the second time as well.

Ma
Jul 21, 2016

More True Bicycles Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Je
      Aug 13, 2018

I bought a recumbent tricycle in 2016. It was shipped free of charge. There was no battery rack, and they built one to fit. I have put 8000 miles on the tricycle. There have been problems, and they have fixed them. During the warranty period they fixed every problem free of charge. After the warranty period they fixed all the problems at my cost. They have a lot of suppliers, and it takes 1 to 2 days to find the parts I want sometimes. Overall the customer service has been above average. I recommend the tricycle as a sturdy tricycle that gets 20MPH with the stock 36V 20A battery.