Trenitalia / train ticket ripoff

1 Italy Review updated:

During a recent trip to Europe we (my wife and I) experienced a fine being imposed (100.00 euros) because we failed to validate train tickets before getting on the train. The "conductor" was spoken to by the Italian traveller sitting next to us trying to intercede as we don't speak Italian and the conductor apparently did not speak English. The conductor was rude and abusive to both us and the other passenger. There is no instruction given by the ticket agent when selling us the ticket and no signs or instructions or directions to the validating machine (it too is not identified).

I would like to know if I have any recourse to recovering some or all of this fine.

Comments

• Je
      12th of Jan, 2017

I feel you. My wife and I had the same problem. Really seems like a rip off. They could have indicated as well the amount of penalties as fine print in the tickets and they should put sufficient signs where to do the validation. Plus is it impossible for the ticket officers on the train to validate as well the tickets given they have tools and technologies that can support it?

• He
      4th of Aug, 2017

Hello, dear travellers!
    My (old) mum and I (with heavy luggage) decided to travel by Trenitalia trains from Ventimiglia to Cervia. IT WAS THE GREATEST MISTAKE!!!
    We started travelling yesterday on the 3rd of August, 2017. At first we took the train Ventimiglia-Milano Centrale at 9.05 a.m. In Genova this train had a very long delay. Officially it was announced that this train was 38 minutes late. Actually it was almost 40 minutes and even more late!!! It must arrive to Milano at 12.50 according to the time-table.
    Because of this we couldn't take the train RV 2279 Milano Centrale - Bologna Centrale at 13.20.
    So, we had to take the other train to Bologna. It was the train at 15.20. It wasn't easy to find the information about the other trains that departured earlier. We wanted regular train. We took this train in time but the train was 10 minutes late to Bologna.
    Next we planned to take the train to Ravenna. If the train to Bologna didn't come late we would be able to take the train to Ravenna at 18.06 p.m. We had to wait for the train to Ravenna at 19.06 p.m. WE REALLY LOST MUCH TIME!!! Moreover, this train departed not at 19.06 p.m. but at 19.24 p.m.
    Finally, we got to Ravenna and took the train to Cervia/Milano Marittima at 21.12. (p.m.)
    THE MOST INTERESTING PART OF THE STORY STARTED HERE!!!
    15 minutes for the departure - railway station staff doesn't care, doors of the train are not opened, 10 minutes before the departure - same situation, 5 minutes before the departure - a man came AT LAST and opened the doors. THANKS GOD!!! We thought we'll NEVER get to Cervia, at least on the 3rd of August.
    The train started to move. The man who opened the doors began checking the tickets. I UNDERSTOOD AT ONCE THAT THE MAIN AIM OF THIS MAN IS TO GET MONEY FOR THE TAXES FOR ANY REASON. He started arguing with the Italian old woman. I don't understand what problem exactly she had but they quarrelled for a long time. The woman was very nervous and stressed out. The man didn't care!!!
    Later that man took the taxes from the other passengers and came to me and my mum though we were sitting the first on his way.
    He also found faults with us 5 minutes before arriving at the place of destination. It turned out that my mum and I must put some stamps on our tickets. We showed our tickets to many Treitalia workers. NOBODY HAS EVER TOLD US ABOUT THIS (stamps on the tickets) BEFORE FROM VENTIMIGLIA TO RAVENNA!!! NOBODY!!! That man wanted us to pay the tax in 5 EURO no matter how we explained him that we are not Italians and we didn't know about this rule. We told him that his company was guilty for the delay and it's the company must pay the tax to us, not we must pay the tax to the company. The man didn't care!!! The train almost came to Cervia. The man wasn't going let us go outside. So, we had to pay the tax to leave the train.
    THE RESULT - WE WENT TO CERVIA NOT AT 18.56 P.M. AS IT WAS PLANNED BUT AT ABOUT 21.30-21.35.
    THE PLAN WAS THE FOLLOWING:
    Ventimiglia - Milano Centrale 09.05 a.m. - 12.50 p.m. (Treno 35039)
    Milano Centrale - Bologna Centrale 13.20 - 16.08 p.m. (RV 2279)
    Bologna Centrale - Ravenna 16.52 - 17.51 (R 6435)
    Ravenna - Cervia 18.35 - 18.56 (R 11609)
    2 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES DELAY WASN'T OUR FAULT, IT WAS TRENITALIA FAULT AND WE HAD TO PAY THE TAX IN 5 EURO!!! GREAT!!!
    HOT WEATHER, HEAVY LUGGAGE, ABSOLUTELY DISORGANIZED SYSTEM OF TRAVELLING AND VERY STRANGE TAXES!!!
    TRENITALIA, GO AHEAD!!!
    I'LL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO USE TRENITALIA TRAINS, NEVER!!!