TouchStone Research Group / Military records scam

I recently spent $130.00 with Touchstone Research Group because they claimed I could receive a copy of my DD214 (Military Discharge) within 2-3 business days. Need ing a copy to apply for a job I was quite happy that I wouldn't have to wait the average of six weeks when using the government channels.

Upon Touchstone receiving my payment I was informed that the request was submitted but a problem had occurred. Apparently it can take up to two weeks for the government employees to pull my file and send them a copy but once that is complete then I will receive it within 2-3 business days!

Before any other veterans take this avenue of retrieval please contact your state VA office and ask them for advice on less expensive and more timely methods of acquiring your military records!

Comments

• Ed
      15th of Sep, 2010

I recently requested my DD-214 from National Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St.Louis, Mo 63132-5100 on 15 July 2010 and received my DD-214 and attachments within one week. You do not have to pay for military Personnel Records. Sorry to say but you have been scammed.

14th of Dec, 2010

This is a company that ensures they can get you your military records faster than the government. The guarantee a three day turn around for your DD-214 for $130. It has been eight days since I handed over the money, and I'm sitting here with no DD-214. When I called to complain, I got a rude, condescending man who instead of getting to the root of the problem to find out what happened will speak slowly and methodically like YOU'RE the idiot here. I missed the deadline for the job I was applying for, so I'm just going to call my credit card company and get my money back.

I don't see many complaints about this company, so I'm not sure that they are a complete scam, but they sure did try to scam me. If you need a DD-214, just go through the government records site and wait. I put in my request, and should have them here in 5-6 days, and that was free. Stay away from this company that won't deliver and has even worse customer service.

• Yo
      17th of Oct, 2018

@nothappywithttrg my son applied for a copy of his dd214 30 days ago and have not received anything, what should he do and who did you call to follow up? thank you

12th of Jan, 2011

See Wiki. Not all military records are at NPRC.

"Most veterans who separated from their service generally pre-1992 can obtain their DD 214 from the National Personnel Records Center, ("NPRC"). The NPRC has two distinct tracks available to obtain records for veterans. The first is for the veteran to submit a Department of Defense Standard Form 180 ("SF180") to the facility via mail or fax. The second is to appear in-person at the facility. A personal appearance to request your records will almost always be faster. There are companies who can stand in the veterans place in order to acquire the same in-person advantage, to "expedite" record acquisition for a fee. In addition, records after 1992 will generally be held by the military branches themselves. Private companies who have researchers at these other facilities will, again, almost always be able to acquire your record faster than standard submission through the Government. The National Archives does maintain a list of independent researchers who will undertake a personal search and physical visit the St. Louis facility to request records in person." And every request is unique.

Touchstone is the largest expediter of US military records, with over 15, 000 completed cases and hundreds of on-site reviews. 2-3 complaints on the Net (from unknowns?), with that volume, is pretty damn good by any standard.

12th of Jan, 2011

See Wiki. Not all military records are at NPRC.

• Bu
      18th of Jan, 2011

I contacted Touchstone on December 28th, 2010. I paid $104 to get my DD214 within 3 days. When it did not come I started calling and e-mailing them. Of course I was told the "holidays excuse". OK; I can buy that. They were to contact their researcher and check on the status. That was January 3rd. Every subsequent phone call and conversation (every other day since) I have been told the same thing- waiting to hear back from the researcher. Today is January 18th, I have had to re-schedule my home closing twice now. I would say my experience with this company has been dismal. They took my money and have provided nothing but excuses. A miserable experience. I will be calling them again today, immediately followed by a phone call to the New York States Attorney General Office and my credit card company to dispute the charges. Karma is a b**** Touchstone; your's is coming.

• Ve
      24th of Feb, 2011

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR MILITARY DOCUMENTATION...YOUR LOCAL VA REP CAN PROVIDE THE SAME SERVICE AS TOUCHSTONE...TOUCHSTONE CANNOT PROVIDE YOUR DOCUMENTS ANY FASTER, , THEY GO THROUGH THE SAME CHANNELS AS ANY ONE ELSE...I AM A CURRENT MEMBER OF THE ARMY AND A VETERAN AS WELL, AND JUST SO HAPPENS I HAVE WORKED IN THE RECORDS DEPARTMENT IN THE PAST. UNTIL THE MILITARY CATCHES UP WITH COMPANIES LIKE THIS WE MUST PROTECT OURSELVES...PLEASE DO RESEARCH BEFORE INVESTING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY FOR A SERVICE THAT IS FREE AND PRODUCE FASTER RESULTS BY CONTACTING VA YOURSELF...TOUCHSTONE CONTACTS YOUR BRANCH OF SERVICE RECORDS BRANCH JUST AS YOU WOULD THEY GET NO SPECIAL TREATMENT IN FACT IT PAINS ANY SERICE BRANCH TO SEND FREE DOCUMENTS TO THEM KNOWING A SOLIDER SOMEWHERE IS BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF...PLEASE BE AWARE OF YOUR OPTIONS...THIS IS INDEED A SCAM...

• Ak
      6th of Mar, 2011

I totally agree. I am usually diligent about checking out people on line before purchasing products or serviced, but when my stepfather passed away, and we need a copy of his DD214 for burial honors, I let my guard down. I already knew that DD214s are available at no charge, but because of our time constraints associated with the situation, I trusted them to deliver the product as promised. What a fraud. It's morally reprehensible to prey on people that way in their hour of need. I don’t know how Jasen sleeps at night.

• In
      14th of Apr, 2011

imagixx appears in every "Scam" forum supporting this company. Makes you wonder about any company that has a full time PR machine searching the web to support their business anonymously.

• Sf
      14th of Jun, 2011

I wish I had read this before placing my order!! I needed my DD214 in a hurry for a mortgage closing. I placed my order (and paid my $93) on May 11th. Still trying everything I could to retrieve it myself, I contacted the Winston Salem VA office the next day - they faxed me a copy within 20 minutes. I called Touchstone to cancel the order, but they said it was too late. Then, on June 3rd (23 days later - not 7 days), I got an email stating that my order had shipped. I immediately called to request a refund and was told to send an email. No response. Today, June 14th, after actually receiving my document and finding that it was not even a DD214, but just discharge orders, I called again. Same response about having to email the request. I demanded to speak to a manager and was flatly denied several times. If I don't get a refund to my credit card this week, I will dispute the charges. I agree, what a corrupt conscience it takes to scam those who've served our country and need these documents for loans, jobs, funerals or benefits! I'm going to call the Better Business Bureau, too!

• Sf
      6th of Jul, 2011

Update - after SEVERAL emails (most of which were less than polite, and at times accusatory), I finally got a full refund. I was informed that Touchstone does not search VA offices because their record retention policies vary. It just so happens that is the only place that had my DD214 on file. Touchstone said that they will revise their search to include VA offices in the future...

21st of Dec, 2011

Any business without any complaints is impossible, particularly for
    service! Unless, of course, you are new or have had very few orders.
    Just check reviews for ANY item on Amazon, and for even the best
    products you'll find some poor reviews. Services are even more
    difficult. The old expression, you can't please everyone, is
    applicable. And bogus reports have their own motives ...some complaints on the net are placed by a
    business' competitors. We could indulge in that practice, too. But
    such actions only taint our industry as a whole. In addition we see no need. Our services will, when reviewed in full view, speak for themselves.
    You can review our many positive reviews at:
    Yes, we have
    had complaints, but ALL are resolved - per the BBB. We have 30 BBB
    complaints in three (3) years, out of well over 20, 000 orders . That's nearly one in a thousand!
    There are some difficult cases. Sometimes documents are not where they are supposed to be due to no fault of our own. If you, the client were going through other channels to obtain your DD214 and/or separation document you would have to navigate those issues yourself. We at Touchstone have experience that enables us to navigate those issues more effectively and easily thus our expedited research service.
    In addition; most cases submitted direct by the VA and/or those at the NPRC submitted direct have a processing time of 4-6 weeks. We hand deliver client's requests direct to facility staff which elevates the requests position in processing to prelude any that are mailed/faxed in. Therefore with our time and effort, expenditures, a client's record will be received much earlier than a individuals submission
    We will adamantly stand behind our guarantee that no one can get your records faster.
    When the facts are known, Touchstone is the best choice to acquire your
    DD214.

• St
      14th of Feb, 2012

They just got me to, they ran my card and I told the guy I will not need his services, he hung up on me. He never even received my info to do the work.

14th of Feb, 2012

We have no ability to respond without a case number and First and last name. You can reach us at 800-283-3214 and we would be happy to assist you.

• Cc
      23rd of Mar, 2012

They are a total scam...I requested my grandfathers discharge papers and told i would have them by close of business on a Friday. I never received them. So I have call many time. I start talking to someone and then they hang up on me. I have e-mailed and left many messages. I also have called from many different phone number and they answer but if you call back from the same one they send you right to voice mail. So the better bureau office and the Attorney Generals office is going to hear from me on this company. They are scamming poor people who are looking for things that are needed right away and they are never getting them.

23rd of Mar, 2012

We have no ability to respond without a case number and First and last name. You can reach us at 800-283-3214 and we would be happy to assist you in resolving your complaints.

2nd of Apr, 2012

I would not call it a scam exactly, while it's true that the records can be obtained for free, it would be worth paying money to get them more quickly if such a service existed.

Unfortunately, Touchstone is not such a service. Once they have your money they are impossible to get a-hold of, as others have said here, and I'll be forced to initiate a chargeback on my credit card, and wait for the documents directly from the government.

3rd of Apr, 2012

It is well known that competitors will post negative reviews on the
    Internet, particularly "anonymous" reviews. Without a full name, case
    number, or other identifying material, it's easy to post a bogus review.
    It's common, too. We could do it too, to our competitor - but that
    conduct's beneath us. We suspect that this is an example of such a review.

Unlike this "Scam" site, the BBB has a method of tracking complaints and
    our responses. They do not charge us $1000 or more to correct/verify
    complaints! (Hence, the motive to post/allow bogus reviews here.)

According to the BBB, we have had 30 some odd complains, on over 25, 000
    orders, in the past three years. That's almost 1 in a thousand!
    That's a great reputation by any standard! In addition, to the few
    complaints we've received, we have responded to ALL. The BBB does NOT
    have a single unresolved case for us! If your complaint is indeed
    true, file it with the BBB and we will respond - as we do with all
    legitimate complaints, as confirmed by the BBB.

Find any other business that has a complaint ratio of 1:1000!!!

This complaint is most likely bogus, a dirty trick by our envious
    competitor who does a mere fraction of our business.

Finally, don't believe everything, possibly to anything you read on
    undocumented sites.

• Ex
      6th of Apr, 2012

Ordered my late father's DD214 from this company.
    I received a couple of e-mails during the first 24 hours.
    Then, nothing. I sent e-mails and got no responses.
    I called twice and as soon as I identified myself, the line went dead.
    Left a voicemail and got no response to that either.

I paid $89 for the 7 day service. That time has come and gone. And I'm
    being ignored / hung up on.

Now, looking for reviews, I find nothing but bad ones.
    If I Google "Touchstone Research Reviews" I find this site and at
    least half a dozen others - all filled with reviews of people who
    didn't get their product.

If you haven't ordered from this company, DON'T!
    If you have and haven't gotten your product (I'm not sure if anyone
    does) please contact your credit card company and dispute the charge!
    Don't let this crook get away with cheating you!

There is one person in the company - Chris.
    He answers whether you call the NYC number, the WV number or the 800
    number. Where is this company located? They claim an NYC address.
    But they are not listed in NYS Dept of Corporations, Directory Assistance.

I see he has responded to complaints on this site by saying things
    like "every business has some complaints.."
    This one has nothing but complaints.
    This site, [redacted], pissedconsumer.com and 43 complaints listed
    on the Better Business Bureau web site.
    Is that enough?

I now see that he is claiming BBB has 30 complaints (it's 43) out of 25, 000 orders.
    Where is evidence of 25, 000 orders???
    Why is there not one single good review for this company anywhere other than their own web site?

I don't believe anyone gets their order fulfilled by this company."

29th of Apr, 2012

Yes, 46 BBB complaints on 25000 orders in Three Years, ALL resolved. Lets see, that's a complaint ratio of almost 1 in a THOUSAND, AND all (according to the BBB RESOLVED!) Hundreds of REAL reviews on our website (would we really write hundreds of reviews? Our competitor has four (4). This is nothing more than a typical "dirty tricks" campaign by competitors, We could do the same, but such actions only damage our industry as a whole. Who do you believe, the BBB or an anonymous poster?

• Ex
      29th of Apr, 2012

I am not anonymous. My name is Ron Baron. I live in NYC.
    And I would be happy to reply to anyone who wishes to contact me.
    I placed my order with this bum on 3/22. I have received no records and know that I will not from him. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and got a refund.
    I explained how when I called, he would hang up as soon as he realized it was someone whose money he had already taken. When I called to place the order initially, he was quite happy to talk to me.
    But 2 calls, 2 voicemails and half a doesn't e-mails have gone ignored.

I am NOT a competitor. That's all he keeps saying about the dozens and dozens of complaints out there on many different web sites.
    Claims it's all just a jealous competitor.
    He also runs this BS about the BBB. Says that all 46 cases are resolved.
    That means when people complained to BBB, he gave them a refund and "resolved" the issue. As for there being only 46 out of 25, 000: prove the 25, 000!

Since I was never going to receive a DD214 from him, I had to find another source.
    www.archives.gov
    A GOVERNMENT web site where you can order your DD214 for free!
    Obviously I'm not a competitor. Neither is the U.S. Government.

Don't believe the stories this guy tells about how he's the victim.
    If you've ordered from him and haven't gotten what you paid for, dispute the charge.
    If you haven't ordered from him, DON'T!