TomTom GPS / TomTom refuses to honor latest map guarantee.

I purchased a new TomTom One 3rd edition GPS receiver. The package promises a 30 day latest map guarantee. When I connected it to my computer for the first time, the TomTom home software said that the maps were 2 quarters old. I followed the directions for using the map guarantee, and got a message saying there were no newer maps available. I have spent nearly 2 weeks going back and forth with their customer service, and they have point-blank refused to honor the warranty unless I can produce a paper receipt (which I found had been discarded before they asked for it), even though they already had the purchase date when I registered the product with them.

A  25th of May, 2009 by
Tomtom's equipment is okay but their service sucks.

They just rolled out this map update subscription service (1 year for $39.99).
but when you sign up, it asks that you need to update to the latest map before the
service can be applied, so I did it.. ($25.48) - supposely this is the price discounted at 75%.
(Note that there is no other way but to download it..)
then charged me $50.95 for map update service.

Then I spent 30 min. installing this "latest" map..
when I entered my friend's house (built 2 years ago), it says "not found"
then I took it to the main highway in Houston (completed 6 months ago), but it was still wrong..

Basically, I paid for $76.43 and don't even know exactly what I paid for..

Called and asked for a refund.. they just refused it saying "downloadables are not refundable"..
I offered to send my GPS to TomTom so they can take out the "new" map.. but they said no..

this service is there to generate more $$$ with old maps and with few POI updates..

A  31st of Aug, 2009 by
I "updated" my tomtom one 3rd gen for the first tim e today... guess what?
it died trying to download from their site! and they say too bad, out of warranty.
it is my fault for not upgrading sooner.
what bull crap!
I will NEVER endorse this product again!!!
Pissed off

roadwarrior_22 (at) yahoo.com
A  5th of Apr, 2010 by
They suck, plain and simple. First off, their GPS the TOMTOM XL330 is a paperwieght after they instructed me to format it via email no less. This has gone on for three months. Now I asked them to ship the replacement to me and they said no, you have to send your device first. Then they have the audacity to hang up on me twice because I got frustrated and rasied my voice. NEVER EVER EVER BUY TOM TOM!!! THEY ARE ###!!!
N  6th of Aug, 2010 by

TomTom GPS - Scam. I bought it for new product but they send a broken refurbished one.
New York
New York

I order a new GPS unit and they send me a broken refurbished one. They would not take it back without restocking fee.
A  6th of Aug, 2010 by
Same for me.
N  10th of Aug, 2010 by

TomTom GPS - Never buy tomtom products

Today i want everyone to know how unreasonable, rude and unprofessional tom toms company is. I bought a tom tom go720 gps, and used it only just under a week and the screen decided to go very dim, i could not see a thing on it at all. I took it back to the store they said they will send it back to tomtom repairs and it should be replaced or repaired because i just bought it the other day and i had to wait 6 weeks for a response just for a small gps unit, well i got a call back today and made me furious this is after 6 weeks of waiting, "sorry we can not repair the item because it will be too expensive to repair and we can not replace the item either as well, we can only refund the item which tom tom was not keen for allow the electronic store to do. Now i can rule out that tom tom's products are made from the cheapest and bad quality components. My days are over with tom tom, shame on you tom tom. If your a stupid consumer and are willing to loose your money or wait for over a month for a repair, and at the end they wont repair or replace the item go and buy tom tom products, i'll be laughing at you, because its happend to me, but i would blame myself for not researching the product, after i bought it and then researched it i realised that tom tom was a joke and like a toy, and there were millions of unhappy and unsatisfied customers. This time im going stick with the garmins. The reason im really upset is that they were very very slow in giving a response, the sales people sent it off to them the following day so they recieved in a week. So why would it take you another 5 weeks just to give me a response and just say we can not repair it. That really puts you off. Please do not buy tom tom products, i've heard sales people sometimes do not recommend to their customers.
A  13th of Feb, 2011 by
This was my experience as well. You are really not buying a GPS, you are buying a GPS service that you will have to pay for indefinitely if you want to keep your GPS up-to-date with the latest map data. I just got back from New Jersey and found the map data to be inaccurate twice on the trip. I just tried to update my GO 730 and was presented with a store window that asked me to pay $35 dollars for the latest map and $35 dollars more for a 1 year map subscription. And, you can't buy them separately. If you by one then you must buy the other. Its a ripoff. I am going to do some research and try to find a different GPS. Hopefully, there is a company out there that doesn't require me to pay them the rest of my life if I want to have accurate road information on my GPS.

TomTom International Logo TomTom International