The Pyramid Collection / Passport to Fun / Both companies are shady and fraudulent!

When you order something from The Pyramid Collection, they sign you up for a service called Passport to Fun without your authorization and then allow this company to bill your credit card without your permission. Both companies insist that you "signed up for this service" when there is no place to authorize this on The Pyramid Collection's website. Both companies are shady and fraudulent!

Comments

• Al
      20th of Jul, 2007

I experienced the exact same thing when I ordered from skymall.com - didn't notice the monthly 9.95 charge for 5 months.

• Ro
      29th of Jul, 2007

I wanted to by a dress for my mother i saw in Pyrmid Collection, next thing i know 9.95 a month comes out of my chase visa card for Passport to Fun. Had Chase Bank close out the card, called Pyrmid collection, they said it was my Fault i checked a box somewhere, ok i thought. So like a fool i asked them if i could still order the dress without having anything to do with Passport to Fun. They said sure.I gave them my NEW chase visa card number. Now its no good either, they found there way into it through Pyramid Collections. So long as there are no laws to take them what can we do.

• Cy
      14th of Sep, 2007

Don't bother calling the company from which you ordered the product. Call passport to fun directly at 888-999-0557. I called them and they immediately said they would reverse the payments they had been charging to my account for 7 months, to the tune of $252.00. They said it would post back to my account in 1-2 days. We'll see what happens now. Also, contact your state attorney's office and file a fraud complaint.

• Be
      26th of Sep, 2007

I ordered from the Pyramid Collection; the Passport to Fun option was offered. But it was just that--an option. It did not appear to be something that they did automatically. I was free to decline it.

• Co
      23rd of Oct, 2007

Hi, I hope someone reads this soon. I recently bought from the pyramid collection and received a notice that this company has access to my account and will deduct a fee every month for something I never wanted or signed up for. I will call my bank tomorrow, does anyone else have any suggestions? Sure would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks, CC

• En
      7th of Nov, 2007

I was charged 14.95 yesterday from these people and I believe they are connected to ebay and Paypal. I have a co-worker that had the same experience except it was with her bank account. She is heavily into ebay, making purchases and sales daily. I was just getting started. Something is NOT right. Im going to call that 800 number, thanks Cynthia!

• Je
      15th of Nov, 2007

I've frequently ordered items from The Pyramid Collection over the past five years and I've never had a problem with them signing me up for something I didn't request. While they do tend to set up forms to "opt in" to special deals by default (a practice I abhor but currently expect from most online companies) it's always possible to click the check box and an opt out.

"Opt in by default" is one of the hazards of shopping online. It's just plain stupid not to expect it and watch out for it. Don't click "submit" until you're sure you've read all the text in the form, verified what the different options actually say (watch out for companies that try to trick you by using negatively worded options) and have chosen the right settings to "opt out" of things you don't want.

• Va
      19th of Nov, 2007

I have been a customer of Pyramid Collection for many years. I've ordered both online and over the phone with out a single problem. When ordering online there is an option that pops up right before check out that says "you could save X amount of dollars on this order by clicking here" I think this might be where a lot of people have a problem. If you click on that link and DON'T read through it, you may get signed up for Passport For Fun. There is an option plain and clear that allows you to click "No Thanks" and it proceeds directly to the check out. This is kind of the nature of the beast of shopping online. Frustrating but we must suffer for convenience. I think we as humans automatically see a chance to save money and jump on it!! :) Read the fine print people... This will save a lot of heart ache and keep you from making accusations against a legitimate company.

• Pj
      17th of Dec, 2007

I've shopped on Pyramid Collection, and you have to opt-in to this program. It is NOT automatic, in fact you have to fill out a small survey, and digitally sign the form, and click yes to even sign up for the program.

Ignorance is not an excuse. Not taking the time to notice what you are doing when checking out on a web site is no reason to bash a company for your mistake.

• Lo
      7th of Jan, 2008

Now I want to remind everyone that I shopped here a few years ago, and the policy may have changed by then. But I'll tell you what happened to me:

I tried ordering about a month in advance for a christmas gift for a relative, and it was backordered for the longest time. Christmas came and went with no response back to the emails that I had been writing, so I had to cancel the order. The curstomer service is HORRIBLE! The guy was so mean and didn't want to hear a darn thing.

I tried not to let that deter me from ordering again. Hah.. big mistake..

So I ordered for myself this time. I got my items in one piece, even though the price has always been outrageous for this website (and believe me.. with a little detective work, you can find these items on OTHER websites for CHEAPER - most of them, atleast). This time I saw the nasty charge on my bank account, and I flipped. I called my bank immediately and told them exactly what happened, I did not authorize this charge, etc. THEY reversed it for me, as well as notified the company FOR me. Back when this happened, there was NO opt-out thing to click when you ordered, there was no pop-up survey, etc. They just took it upon themselves to SIGN YOU UP and get the company to CHARGE you.

Beware of this company. My advise is to take this matter to your bank or your credit comapny.. NOT the Pyramid Collection or the external partner company. I'm sure you wouldn't get anywhere with them, anyway.

• Ri
      17th of Jan, 2008

I disagree with Pjdpete. If the Pyramid Collection was on the up and up with the web offer, disclosing that there would be a recurring charge on my credit card from Passport to Fun (I've fallen prey to this as well), then I wouldn't have consented to the "membership." The tactics may not be illegal, but they are quite unethical. It is the ethical responsibility of the merchant to provide a full reporting of charges that their customers will incur. It is certainly within the rights of the shopping public to refuse to patronize a company who uses, or partners with other companies who use such underhanded tactics.

• Pa
      29th of Jan, 2008

This company is a ripoff. I was charged $14.95 per month for six months. I received nothing for this service. They claim that I used the Travelocity $20 rebate and this started my first month of service.
    I complained to the credit card company who contacted the Passport to fun. I hope to get all my charges reversed on this.

I am planning to file a complaint against Travelocity for allowing this type of dishonest charging and use of these sneaky practices.

• Ro
      20th of Apr, 2008

passport for fun has people who watch sites like this and lie, telling us how it is our fault we got cheated.Watch out for those who say it never happened to me.This groupe is famous all over the net for cheating people.I made a lot of phone calls, they were sued in some states and lost.look iut up.

• Mi
      2nd of May, 2008

Passport to fun, Charged me for something that I never ordered.
    So I called the number myself and asked to be taken off thier membership list.
    And also asked for them to replace the money back into my account, We'll see if they do and if they don't you'll here back from me after I sue them.

• Sh
      12th of Jun, 2008

My 15 years son was caught out by this from clicking on a banner ad to win something (he can't remember what-it was in January 08). Because he has a teen debit card and had no cash on it for a while, when I finally loaded the card for him, all the charges came through on the same day in late May (5 months at $29.95 per month!). Neither he nor I knew what Passport to fun was so I called the company. The first person I spoke to was pleasant and cancelled my account and eventually agreed to give me a refund. This was Tonya. I checked the account today and only one month has been refunded. I called the company again and they referred me to a 'supervisor' who repeatedly told me the terms of agreement do not allow refunds when you have chosen the monthly payment plan. I reminded her, we had chosen nothing. She was rude and beligerant to my son and could not provide any evidence that he had actually signed up for the program. She says he signed up, agreed to the payment plan and became a member when he clicked on the banner ad, but she would not agree to provide him or me with the details of the transaction so we could determine how it happened.

She gave me an address to write to for the parent company: Adaptive marketing, LLC, 9500 West Dodge Road, Omaha, Nebraska 68114. One lady told me to send it to the Compliance Department, and another told me to send it to Customer Relations. I will send it to both.

That these companies can prey on kids like this is pitiful. I have also joined a class action suit against the parent company. I understand the folks at the other end of the line are just doing their job, but I honestly don't know how these people sleep at night.

• Di
      29th of Jul, 2008

I had the experience with Vista Print... I did not authorize the charges for either but somehow ended up with Passport to Fun and Shopping Essentials as a monthly charge on my debit card... Passport to Fun has rude service people... Shopping Essentials are a bit better.
    I did get them to refund the charges (well they said they would I will see if they do)but I am starting a new business and moving they caused me a lot of grief in trying to figure out why my bank acct didn't balance.. as I am running on a shoestring... The eight hundred number you need to get out of the charges in on your credit card statement... There are a couple of class action suits you can sign up for against this company... People like this should be treated as the criminals they are this is fraudulent.

• Je
      15th of Aug, 2008

Hmm...this thread would've really made me worry about the company, except for that I've also been ordering from The Pyramid Collection for years now, and in at least half a dozen orders (some online, and some straight from the catalog), i've never once had a problem. (They were even nice about taking back a skirt and top i didnt like so much after trying it on, with no restocking fees or anything unsavory like that.) But then again, i *NEVER* click on any of the "save $blah" offers or promotions or anything like that, for *ANY* business. Whatever that Passport to Fun thing is sounds downright evil, tho...

• Ks
      12th of Dec, 2008

I also had unauthorized charges from Passport to Fun and At Home Rewards. It took me a few months to notice them, but when I did I called the companies. They tried to give me the song and dance they couldn't refund my money until I asked them what state they were in so I could contact their attorney general's office. They agreed to refund the money in no time then and it was done in less than 2 days.

• St
      26th of Jan, 2009

I saw this when I purchased something from Pyramid Collection and I agreed to sign up for it and then canceled it. I could have declined it when I submitted my order, but did not do so.

No offense, but those of you who were "signed up" without knowing about it simply weren't paying attention and were clicking too fast without reading things.

I have purchased several things from Pyramid Collection and even returned something with no problem at all. Maybe the Passport to Fun company isn't that great, but Pyramid Collection is not a fraudulent company.

• Rh
      1st of May, 2009

I believe this company is now working with Shopping Essentials. I very carefully read every screen and opted out of any programs offered when I made my purchase. Unfortunately when my order arrived it was incomplete and I had to make to phone calls to Pyramid Collection to straighten out the issues and get refunded for items that were no longer available but had been billed to my card.

They were very professional and I was happy until I began having difficulty with these fraudulent charges from AP*ShoppingEssential each month. I think I finally got to the bottom of the situation and stopped further charges. The operator insisted I had visited her company's website twice, which I did not, but the dates she gave me perfectly correspond to my phone calls to Pyramid Collection. Apparently the operator sent a complete copy of my billing information including my credit card number to Shopping Essentials each time she adjusted my order without informing me she was doing so.