The New Yorker / The New Yorker has a &Credit Department&?

United States Review updated:

In late 2007 I decided to let my subscription expire - or so I thought. Then, over the past couple months I've received letters from The New Yorker formulated as if they were "invoices". I thought this was a ploy to pressure me into renewing, and figured that simply not paying the "Invoice" would be enough. I still suspect that's what's going on, but today received a letter from their "Credit Department" that caught my attention. Here's what they wrote:

URGENT: [my name]

Several months ago, you ordered a subscription to THE NEW YORKER at a rate substantially less than the price you would otherwise pay at the newsstand.

You have received THE NEW YORKER for many weeks, yet to date we have not received your subscription payment.

In order to clear this Delinquent Account from our records, please pay the above invoice today.

Thank you, The Credit Department.

Pay online at www.pay.newyorker.com

--End Letter

I mean, what the heck is that all about??? So I went to their website and logged in with the customer number that came in on one of the back issues, and sure enough found that they had renewed my subscription the subscription was renewed on Nov 5, 2007, but here's the point: I NEVER REQUESTED THAT MY SUBSCRIPTION BE RENEWED.

Yet I'm worried that they are going to throw me into collections and hurt my credit rating. Can they even do that?

If so, then that's patently unfair because I never agreed in any way whatsoever to renew my subscription and I shouldn't have to pay.

If not, and they are just bluffing, then that too is a violation of my rights as a consumer, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, writing letters as if they were "invoices" and now signing it "The Credit Department" which, by the vague language they use, seems more like a focus-group tested ploy to scare me into subscribing for another year, rather than anything at all legitimate.

I'm mystified. I'm going to call them on Monday to try to get some kind of answer from them. But I think whether unfair or just plain intimidating, either scenario is worth reporting to Complaints.com.

Has anyone else had an experience like this???
Va

Comments

Mi
  25th of Apr, 2008
I received an invoice stating that my subscription had been renewed for one year, and requested payment in the amount of $59.95. The New Yorker advertises one year subscriptions for $39.95. I went to their web site and found an 800 number for customer service. After listening to bad music, while on hold for 5 min. I talked to a customer service person and was told that my subscription was on an automatic renewal for 3 years, (as I requested), but because I was requesting the advertised lower price that I would be re-invoiced at the $39.95 price.
I guess you just have to jump through some hoops to keep from being
RIPPED OFF. Oh yea, they couldn't let me go without trying to get me subscribed to another magazine.
Wi
  3rd of May, 2008
POSTAL SERVICE HAS FORWARDING ADDRESS THAT WILL NOT WORK. AU REVOIR.
Ro
  16th of May, 2008
Dear Mr Simpson,
I have already told you to use for my debits my Amex credit card but it seems that your organization does not understand English.
Anyway I will resend my Amex number 375288413758002.
By the way: I did not receive 4 invoice but just one to which I promptly reply.
If your Company behavior is going to continue like that, I'd like to cancel all my subscriptions.
Pls confirm the receipt of my message.
Best Regards
Roberto Pace
Jo
  23rd of Jul, 2008
I have had the same experience with the New Yorker. I am sure their explanation is that it is just a form of satire----just as their covers are!
Fr
  15th of Sep, 2008
I recived and invoice telling me that I have and amount to pay to The New Yorker. I think I already did in the firth month of this year by credit card (mastercard). I will pay the amount again because I don't like to receive DELINQUENT invoice, and when you receive the payment PLEASE take me out of the DELINQUENT invoice.
Ra
  27th of Oct, 2008
I keep getting a bill for a subscription which I contest. When I subscribed I asked if I could start with or at least get a copy of the iss667ue that had Sen. Obama on the cover and was assured I could. It did not come. On inquiry I was told they were all gone and I would not get a copy--the respondent showed NO concern and obviously could care less. So I said cancel my sub and you could bill me for the copies I had received up to that time. Eventually they stopped coming. I have not paid for obvious reasons. What do we do now? I do not want the sub unless you can supply that issue. Please respond.
Ge
  11th of Jan, 2009

new yorker - cancellation of subscription and receipt of a bill
new yorker
ny

When you published the issue with president-elect Obama and his wife looking like "revolutionary radicals" I came down and protested in front of your building with a group of other outraged citizens. I also cancelled my subscription. I fortunately am not receiving them so what is this "delinquent" bill, for $29.95 about? I don't own you anything; you owe the Obama family and the American people for your overt racism disguised as freedom of speech.
Acct # nyr 1001279288
Gr
  30th of Jun, 2015
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
These comments began in 2007, and in 2015 the New Yorker subscription scams have only increased in variety. I have a fully paid and automatically renewing paper & online subscription. The online newsletter links me to all content, both paper and online-only. SUPPOSEDLY. Yesterday, the online access told me I'd used my "last complimentary access" and denied me access to an article I wanted to read. I checked my subscription -- good through August 2016 and would renew automatically anyway. I opened an online chat with customer service. That rep said they had my husband's email associated with the subscription -- and they shouldn't even have his email! He has never subscribed to the magazine. The rep had no idea what to do about my assertion that their website was misreading their data base. Um, duh! So I ran a little test. I signed up for the 12 weeks for $12 deal and paid for that "new subscription." AND IT STILL WOULDN'T LET ME IN TO VIEW THE ARTICLES. Nor would it let me in a day later (today), a second shot I gave them figuring that, despite moving to brand new offices, their data processing might still be batch overnight. Still no access. So I unsubscribed. Their online processing immediately told me they'd send me a refund check for the correct amount. So it's not a delayed processing problem. It's, at best, incompetence so pervasive that, given that I can't be the only one experiencing and complaining about it, their behavior equates to intentional fraud. I'm also going to dispute that 12-week deal charge with my credit card bank if it doesn't disappear from my "pending" list in the next few days.
Ma
  25th of Jul, 2015
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I only subscribed because this was a special order. I did not renew. Now, I have an invoice saying I owe 79.99. I would like to know how I can owe 79.99 when I did not renew my subscription. This invoice states that I must pay or they will send this account to a collection agency. I think this is vile. I will never read or subscribe to this magazine again. This invoice says I owe for 47 issues, but I haven't received a copy in over a year.
Account number 0539348193
Lu
  3rd of Jan, 2018
The same ridiculous experience here in 2017. I never renew the subscription after a 12-week deal, but the invoice saying I owe for 47 issues keeps coming. Such a funny nightmare.