Tax Masters / Tax Assistance

I never signed a contract and I gave them some pertinent information and authorized $500.00 to be paid to them. Less than 24 hours later I called Tax Masters back to cancel and was assured that this would be done. 10 days later without a contract signed from me and after canceling the whole transaction, this check cleared my bank! I called them back to reverse this per our conversation and they told me I didn't cancel, but called and authorized them on the 15th to cash an unauthorized check and with out a contract I was never going to sign. I went a different path instead. I still have not been refunded, this company is negligent, unorganized (or worse)...they are all about scamming anyone who calls them. They advertise on CNN and FOX, the big fat man with a mouth FULL of lies. I have notified the Attorney General in Houston Texas (Harris County). I have been diligently using different phone numbers to even call and get through to them. My significant other, even called as a potential client and they told him if he decided to cancel, there is a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. This company needs to be widely exploited as FRAUDULENT on National News! Is anyone out there in the quest of a Class Action Law Suit and shut them down.

Ki

Comments

• Am
      10th of Mar, 2009

I too am curious as to whether anyone else is interested in doing something about Tax Masters. It took me six months to get a response on my refund request. When I finally received a response I was sent to their collections department and after being on hold for 20 minutes I got a voicemail account. Tax Masters has done none of the things that were stated when decided to work with them. No one there ever seems to know what is going on with my account and getting a response requires pain staking effort on my part. To date I have given them $1800.00 and I have nothing to show for that, other than the repeated filling out of the same form due to repeated loss of said form by Tax Masters. It has been over a year since I have paid for unrendered services. I know that there are several others out there who have had or are currently having a similar experience with Tax Masters. Rather than sit back and let this company take advantage of consumers we need to stand up together and stop them from making victims out of families who are desperate for help. If anyone has any ideas on how to acomplish this please post.

• Ka
      21st of Jul, 2009

Yeah, I am!

They need to be stopped immediately and sued for unethical business practices. They have $500 of my money and I canceled all within less then 24 hours and told the fax department to tear up my fax.

I filed a complaint with the Houston BBB and the FTC.

• Ex
      5th of Jan, 2010

Pat Cox is currently a Certified Public Accountant licensed by the State of Texas (http://www.tsbpa.state.tx.us/macros/OD007.ndm/DETAIL?ID=055358 ). Your complaints about his deficiencies can be filed with the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy to get him sanctioned and and possibly shut down for discreditable acts against the profession.

16th of Mar, 2010

1. There used to be a huge blog filled with TaxMasters stories and complaints. The sued the guy and he took it down. Here's an archive of it though:

----

2. Apparently there is a US Treasury investigation into TaxMasters.

US Treasury Department

3. And a potential class-action suit:

Pam Mitchell
    (504) 234-5202

4. Additionally:

If you've been a victim of TaxMasters, below is a good starting list of everyone you should send a letter to, detailing your experience. Signed and mailed letters are often still taken more seriously than an emailed or faxed one. You should also include any/all supporting documentation/evidence.

This really is needed. The sooner these agencies receive more complaints about this company, the more they will investigate.

1. Your state's Attorney General
    2. All of your state's Senators and Representatives (Federal and State)
    3. All of the following:

City of Houston
    P.O. Box 1562
    Houston, TX 77251

29th of Apr, 2010

For years I've been reading complaints people file against companies they've hired to represent them before the IRS. It's unfortunate that people often don't select a professionally licensed firm. A licensed CPA or law firm will minimize the chance your case will be left unattended. I have wrote a guide to help people out on selecting IRS tax advisors or representatives, you can read it on my site www.taxproblem.org along with a lot of other information that will help you deal with your IRS and tax problems. It pays to do a little bit of homework before tackling your problem.

www.TaxProblem.org

16 Taxmasters (dft) txsdce 4:2010-cv-03055 710 08/25/2010
    17 Taxmasters, Inc. (dft) txsdce 4:2010-cv-03330 190 09/16/2010

• Gl
      18th of Jan, 2011

www.TaxProblem.org suggests to do a little homework before hiring a company to help you.
    The site's IRS Killer boast a lot of experience and ethics, but spends a lot of time discrediting other tax firms.
    I found that the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy has listed a History of disciplinary actions; Violation(s) Regarding Competence for CPA Joe Mastriano and he also has a F rating with the Houston BBB for accounting service companies.
    Probably a good firm and capable, but should stick to own accolades and not malign other companies
    Anyone considering tax representation should independently investigate the firm's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

18th of Mar, 2011

The PA class action suit has made it around the arbitration clause in the contract. TaxMasters filed a motion to compel arbitration, which was denied on 3/17/11.

• Fr
      15th of Apr, 2012

It's my fault for the tax situation; however, when you pay for representation, you expect to get representation. Tax Masters provided none. The tax penalties and interest continued and I've now received a tax bill from the IRS...for more than 5 times what is owed.
    Tax Masters is a fraud. Texas Attorney General has a $119 million judgement against them. They have well over 1000 complaints on the BBB and are rated "F". The Federal Government has filed several cases against them.
    Tax Masters cost me over $4000 and have done nothing. Even though their "Tax" person who called me, they never asked for enough information to fill out a decent return...and they charge $500 for each one. They called to do the financial interview but I told them I needed to see the tax returns first. The representative courteously told me that they would...but they've never did. Repeated requests still yielded no tax return.
    Comment by Glass House is false and is probably by someone in the Tax Debt Relief business. Joe Mastriano is rated A+ by BBB. He has 2 complaints registered and shows 1 as resolved. He's been in business over 30 years. I am not a client but am researching so that I can get my tax problem fixed...because Tax Masters was more interested in collecting money than actually doing anything.
    I should have done more research before committing such a large amount based on a TV ad. It's my fault. However, I hope whoever reads this will learn from my mistakes and seek out a CPA or Enrolled agent instead of answer an ad on TV like I did.