Comments

•   Oct 16, 2010

Good morning, Anna.
    What I classify as a perfect response on a subject about dirty rotten scoundrils. It is obvious your poetry is from the heart. Good luck in your future dealing, and there still some honest people out there.

Sincerely, Trevor Timbs (author)

Oct 16, 2010

My cousin published a novel through Eloquent Books (another "division" AEG), despite the fact that I warned him that the company is a scam.

As of today, he's has paid them well over $1300 for various fees and publishing costs. He's only sold 15-20 copies of his novel (to friends and family members). Yet, AEG is "thrilled" to promote his work at book fair in China in a few months. Of course, he has to pay another $600 for that trip.

Before going to China, he must pay (yet another) fee to have his novel converted into an e-book. His agent assure him that this is necessary, because "the Chinese prefer Kindles and iPads."

Speaking of his sales, he's supposed to be able to view his royalties online. However, that site never quite seems to have that information available.

I understand the desire to have you work published, but legitimate literary agencies will never charge anything upfront. (I repeat, NEVER!) They are paid a percentage of your royalties.

My cousin is genuinely convinced that he is going to make millions of dollars off this novel through AEG. So, feel free to add him to Cynthia's list of "very please" clients.

Oct 17, 2010

Thanks Trevor for your comment! As a fellow writer on this little island of ours maybe you can keep me posted as to any reputable publishers here in the UK. I may well self publish but even that path seems to throw up the scam word too ! ... Ah yes Martha from Appalachia, I see what you mean, poor Cynthia may well be in this category like your poor cousin..just waiting, paying, waiting, paying ... perhaps we should call it 'Cynthia's list' ! I have read your cousins story on many boards on the subject, no one manages to track the sales thing ! I notice she (Cynthia) was not quick to reply to Trevors query of monies asked for or paid, nor of mine regarding the lots of happy authors like herself !! Anyway folks Bless them ... there but for the grace etc etc .. Please let your cousin know we'll be here when the proverbial hits, & you Cynthia! ... But did they never think to punch in any of the so called publishing houses names ?? They all have a common bond... the word 'scam' jumps up !!!

• Ro
      Oct 19, 2010

Hi
    Oh well I am about to have my autobiography published with them right now. And do you know what? They are nice as pie. And so am I.
    Look, all you disgruntled authors, lets stick together and back this shallow gentleman -get back onboard Strategic, get paid, everyone happy, we write more bizzzzaar stuf and so no.
    And then we shall all NETWORK our books together. HA!
    What do you think about that?
    Ronnie
    THE SUICIDE HOUR

•   Oct 19, 2010

Good morning, Ronnie!
    I do love a pessimist and I wish you every success with your autobiography. Just a simple question: How much has it cost you so far; and will you let us all know when the squeeze is applied for more money.
    I ask this, because the only hint of human kindness I've ever discerned from a 'nice as pie' scammers eyes, is usually from the glass one.
    Best of luck with the THE 'financial' SUICIDE HOUR'

Oct 20, 2010

@Ronald -

For the record, I am not a "disgruntled author." (I am a writer, but I've never queried agents or publishers.)

Yes, the folks at Strategic/Eloquent Books are very nice. Does that mean that their business model is ethical?

Do you know what this company considers marketing? They give you a personal page on their website and a crappy "press release, " which is basically just a PDF with a picture of your book and its description. Yeah, that's their e-n-t-i-r-e marketing strategy.

Is this company as bas as PublishAmerica? No, not by a long shot, but that doesn't mean that they're legit.

Be sure to look at your contract with them.

The fact that your books will be "available" at B&N, Borders, or Books-A-Million doesn't mean those companies physically stock it there (unless you beg the manager). If you plan to do a book signing, then you'll have to buy the copies yourself.

Do you hope to see you book in a library? Well, forget it. Your book can't get an LOC number through a vanity press.

Don't give them $895. You have other options. Why not Lulu or Createspace or BookSurge or even a local press?

•   Oct 21, 2010

Good info', Ronald.
    I would say Lulu is the best option...I know people who have used them and the feedback has been ultra positive.

Cheers, Trev'

• Vo
      Oct 25, 2010

I just sign an joint off with this company about four months ago. Tania was my contact by email. I feel so stupid, I should have checked into the company more. But, I like you all was excited to have my work in print. I wasted alot of money and time with this and now, I'm very dicouraged.

• Ro
      Oct 27, 2010

Well hello all you helpful writers
    I have paid Strategic $2700 US. Right now I have an editor called Bev working on the script. I can say the first edit was snappy, and, naturally, I plundered it again, so the poor thing is tidying it up for me.
    Ah well. You know I have always believed that where there's smoke there's fire. But it seems the whole village is burning bright. You see I am new to the net, it takes me time to work things out, but thanks to you I won't make a mistake with my other two novels. I truly appreaciate your assistance.
    Now to something even more important. I need your oponion on the following.
    It is my belief doctors are killing our kids. Individuals suffering depression are labeled bi-polar. This, they say is incurable, but it takes away all hope of them recovering.
    What a load of bunk! It is simply their negative thought pattern that needs new direction. I know, because after 15 years on valium I am finally free - and my thinking is clear. I hear the chirping blue brested finches.
    Please tell me your thoughts. Was this organized by pharmaceutical companies?
    [protected]@hotmail.com

•   Dec 29, 2010

Even though it is still not 100% clear to me when I should contact SPB or EB or whatever other org, I managed to agree on a 50/50 JV with SPB and pay the 995 USD fee plus an additional 495 USD for book fairs. Adios savings. I just finished editing and submission for review. Now I read this board and I am not happy at all. But at least I am warned about possible pitfalls, and I thank you for that. Early 2011 things should be moving. I'll keep you posted here.

• Ho
      Jan 01, 2011

Hi.
    I am author of The Dark Journey: inside the reeducation camps of Vietcong, released on February 15, 2010. As a first author with EB and AEG, I would like to share an experience to whom wants to know about the book published. I have seen my book on the most popular onlines, a lot of people bought and got it at US, Canada, Australia...my book is being on the National Library of Australia and the others of Victoria, Western Australia...I attended the World Book Expo at New York on May, I also received the royalty commission as well. These facts confirm my believe on the publisher, so I have signed an agreement for my second book" Good Evening Vietnam", it will be released soon.
    A time, I went to a shop in Australia and read a phrase being at front door:" Confucian said: a man who chooses a lot, then gets nothing"
    Hoa Minh Truong.
    ( Ex-lieut of ARVN, P.O.W)

• Di
      Jan 10, 2011

I have a similar complaint about CREATESPACE! They never marketed my book, "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl" and they sold maybe 1 or 2 copies per month. I found a real publisher, and my sales instantly went up to sevral hundred books per month! Coincidence? No, not at all. Createspace only wants your money, and they do nothing for authors. Nada, Zip...

Dimitra Ekmektsis, author of "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl"

• Ba
      Jan 16, 2011

I'm just blown away by all the complaints I've read. I've basically experienced many of the same things the others have gone through. I was seriously considering sending them the $995 they want to start the publishing. I was offered the Joint Venture and told my story was marketable. I paid them to critique the story and received excellent results. At my husband's urging, I began blogging to find out what others had to say about Strategic. The comments on their own site made them look they were the best in the business. But Jim told me to check outside their site to find out what people really thought about them. I'm glad I checked this site. I'm going to e-mail them and tell them to delete my manuscript from their files. I'm so disappointed because I write Christian romance and God has a message to hurting people through my stories. Now I have to consider other options.

Jan 22, 2011

I also have entered into this JV with them. At first being a new author I was very pleased that a publisher wanted to publish my work and at first I understood about the JV however when my book was printed and I became a one income family and could not pay anymore they pretty much dropped me. I had researched them and did not find anything but a 2008 complaint which did not amount to much. The past year I have learned so much and will continue with my writting hoping to seek out a honest publisher.
    Dawson C. Walton

Jan 22, 2011

We all learn from our mistakes. We have been brought up thinking that we can trust others and the truth be known you can not trust anyone. Author -Dreams

Jan 30, 2011

ok, im just about to go into business with this company, when i was directed to this site by a reader of mine from facebook. I appreciate all your complaints and such but not one of you has said your taking the path i am taking. I am not doing a joint venture with them. I am doing a 100 pre sales which only costs 150 which i get back at the sales target, this venture also claims a thousand dollar bonus at a thousand sales.
    I have a cert 4 in marketing, so that i can do myself via facebook (www.facebook.com/angelaobrienphotography) and also on my webpage (www.angelamobrien.weebly.com) Iam waiting a few days to go ahead with them, i will be doing some more research now but my library has happily agreed to take copies of my book either via purchase or donation. I have read the contract three times, with a very fine tooth comb and have found it to be just. I have a printed copy of the contract which will be kept for my records. Once a contract is signed by both parties, then both parties are legally bound to abide by the laws of said contract.
    If any of you can give me a bad example you have had by entering a pre sale agreement with them, i would love to hear it. And another question in support of cynthia, did it ever occur to you guys that maybe there are no other happy customers on this post, simply because they see no need to look up trash posts??? Every company has bad press, even department stores. In australia, we as a nation, hate telstra, but that doesnt mean they dont have happy customers.

Angela M OBrien
    Writer of
    Young Love
    and
    Family Ties
    with more to come. :-)

Jan 30, 2011

It was not so much what the contract said as to what the e-mails told the words partnership, global sales the promise of all their expertise in marketing. I was told that I would get $4.00 per sale so after 250 sales I would have my investment back when in reality I am getting $1.38 per sale. I am sure that I am not the only one out there that was misled. There was no mention of ANY further money until after my book was printed then money for this and money for that and what about this and that. I am not rich and I do not have a degree in marketing. Their e-mail told me that they could recoup their investment after a couple of years. My question is when are they going to invest to this date they have not invested anything which is the total opposite of what they implied and promised. Lately the only word I get from them is trying to sell me another one of their plans or strategys. I think that the main thing that people are complaining about is that they promised the world and gave us a turd, plain and simple. Am I not right?

• So
      Jan 31, 2011

I am a current author with strategic and I can not recommend them more highly.
    I have NEVER had ANY problems with them and my book is out and making money.
    I can only assume that all publishers are going to disappoint at some time to people and all you hear are the ones who got a bum deal and are not happy with there sales. lets face it, just because you publish does not mean your work is worth buying.

Feb 07, 2011

I sent my book -(Tumbleweed ) to strategic publishing group. After reading so many heart rendering stories I have decided to not proseed with it. Like all pepples who write we feel strong emotions with our writing. And to be taken as a soft touch is painfull enough. Ill find another way to let the world know my story. Ann Edmead london annedmead @sky.com

Feb 14, 2011

Thank you to all those aspiring authors out there like me who so much want to publish their work that they can fall into a trap like this. Because of you I have been saved the pain of such a financial rip off that I can sooooooo not afford. Like you however, the disappointment of such an experience, where their is someone out there interested in your work and wanting to help you who ends up being a hideous fraud is very demotivating and so very sad. Where does one find a reliable and trustworthy establishment that respects and appreciates what goes into writing a book. It shocks me that their are such despicable people out there. HOW DO YOU FRAUDS SLEEP AT NIGHT?

Apr 13, 2011

I'm so pleased I came across this thread before signing up with this company! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences - and I'm sorry for those who have been financially ripped off by this outfit.

Apr 17, 2011

A writer I know published with Strategic Publishing and had a horrible experience. They had to pay to be published and also for editing, then they were told they should also buy marketing from the company. They got constant emails asking them to buy more goods and services. But the one thing Strategic Book Publishing DIDN'T sell was books. The writer paid more than $1000 and still hasn't made the money back (not even close).

Apr 18, 2011

Thanks for that Angelica2. At least now, if people wish to go down that route, they will be forewarned about how Strategic / AEG are likely to handle their book. Plenty of people like to 'self-publish' these days, and the costs can escalate from what I gather - not something I would want to become involved with.

Apr 18, 2011

Hi All I decided to go with Strategic more for the exsperence and desperation. I read all the bad examples from people. At the moment my book Tumbleweed is being looked at and I hope it will be published soon. I have read the contract and now im waiting. I have been treated very well up to now.
    I will keep you people posted. I will add that Im ruled with my heart is that bad? BUT the otherside of me can be very bad and I can be a real [censor]. So watch this space. Love all Ann Edmead

• Pa
      Apr 22, 2011

When offered a contract with AEG I did my homework and indeed saw a lot of negative press. i however persisted with them and ( apart from their editing services ) I found them to be more than helpful. I think the trick is to be proactive rather than to sit back and wait for them to do all of the work.
    my first novel Final Diagnosis is in wide release now and I get emails from far flung places telling me that the book was an enjoyable read!
    Robert Fletcher wrote to me personally a few months ago which was encouraging.
    My complaints are I guess trivial but not having representation in Australia has been a little irritating but all that but that will seemingly cease this year when AEG will expand their operations "down under'
    Royalties. Well to tell the truth I havnt looked. I never expected the first book to set the world on fire as it is often the second one that will drive sales of the first.
    But so far so good and I will offer the second book to them until I hear otherwise.

Paul V Walters
    www.paulvwalters.com

• De
      May 18, 2011

Hey guys, just to let you know a little more about whats happening with these publishing houses...I just happened to get in touch with this 'Tania' that everyone is talking about from Strategic Book Publishing, after sending me the same mail that I see she has also sent all of you guys out there, I asked her back that if this was also something like Dorrance I am definitely not interested as I will not pay a so-called publisher for getting my book in print, I would rather SP it any day...I am based in Mumbai, India, and this correspondence happened on the 17th May 2011. Here is her revert today, 18th May 2011:
    From:
    "Tania - Dir. of Book Marketing" <[protected]@strategicbookmarketing.com>
    Debolina,
    If you can get your book published at no cost we wish you well. It is just not the business we
    are in.
    If you have any trouble and want to work with a top notch publisher, we hope you will again
    contact us.
    Gook Luck,
    Tania'
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Yes they are polite and all looks well otherwise, but I simply cant trust this after reading soooooo many fraud complaints on so many different portals...Id rather start with CreateSpace any day and someday, I, and ALL OF US AMAZING WRITERS HERE will surely become published authors...Cheers n all the best to all of us :)
    Debolina

• De
      May 23, 2011

Hey...all us SP authors here...whoever is doing a self-publishing of their own work or has already done the same can let me know and I will take care to market it to many book bloggers across the globe. You can mail me directly at [protected]@yahoo.com and let me know the details of your book once you publish it (I especially want to work this with self-published authors but others are more than welcome) This is not something u have to pay for, but since this will be a review and a first look I will do on my blog, u will have to arrange to send me a copy of your book in India. I am a member of various international book blogs and write about various genres, reviews and authors on my blog. Would love to highlight your book and build the interest... all the best to all of us :)

Jul 27, 2011

Thank you to all the people on this thread. I too received a very speedy email requesting that I email them my manuscript. However I decided to follow their rather peculiar suggestion of 'do your diligence' and followed their suggested links, which very quickly brought me here. So I will not be submitting my work to them and I hope that everyone else who considers working with them, finds their way here too.

Jul 27, 2011

Well now my Dear authors, Im near the end of my editing and things are swimming alone nicly. No hastle, no angrey words and screaming fits with frustrations. . Tanya Bev David and other tragtegic staff have listend and slowly gone through the prosess to reach the point of a slight tingle in my tummy.I have found with all my new friends at Strategic an ear for my concerns sagestion for improvments and positive profesinal attitude to make my blood presure stay in the black.So Friends nothing to let you know? BUT if things change or my blood pressure goes up and my heart stops Ill sure as hell let you know. Ann Edmead (Tumbleweed)

• Pu
      Aug 12, 2011

I am glad I came to this site ... I received a similar mail from Tania - requesting for my manuscript. I have marked them a copy. . . and after reading all these complaints ... guess that was my last communication with SBM/SBP!

Aug 13, 2011

Well my dear friends. time will tell I have found them- the girls and people very nice Strategic and are helpfull in every way in getting my Book to print. Tumbleweed . Any changes And I will let you all know. At this moment in time Strategic has done all they could to come good for me. Im pleased as hell with them and any changes I will let you know. Ann Edmead

Sep 16, 2011

Can we get out of the contract? Apparently we still have all the rights to our AEG publications. Does anyone know how to do that? I have a trilogy done but it will not get picked up without the publishing company having rights to all three. Any advice would be welcomed.

Sep 16, 2011

I simply told them to terminate the contact at once. It took them a couple of weeks to pull from sales but it was easy. Good luck

• Li
      Sep 26, 2011

Oh! Thank you so much for your posts! I was ready to fork over my money, but then I called the number after hours only to get a MagicJack recording... If that doesn't scream scam I don't know what does. I searched a few of the phone numbers from the emails and website to several social media sites like Facebook and the MagicJack number came up as a financial advisor. These people have their hands in many pots and are only out for any amount of money they can get their hands on. They target the desperate, and don't care what damage they cause. I hope that all of you are able to get your books published. I think I will do more research on self publishing.

Sep 27, 2011

Try kindle direct publishing or createspace free

Nov 11, 2011

I have just recieved an email from Strategic book marketing offering me a contract I was almost ready to go ahead with it but now, I am seriously considering not going a head with it seeing as they haven't even seen my full manuscript and are offering a contract, and wanting money. included in the email was a what I call cover their ### section on the list of complaints against them, after reading some the complaints I am going to take my heart and soul else where.

Nov 15, 2011

I contacted WL for the publishing of my book which contain about 240 poems.I first sent the three of my beautiful poems and later they wrote me and asked me to send them my manuscript.After reading your messages here, I now know that they are SCAMS. I have also contacted Dorrance publishing company and I don't know if they are honest. Is anyone here who know whether they are real and honest ?Hear from you people.
    Thanks you all.
    T.M.Pelekeh
    [protected]@yahoo.ca
    Cameroon

Nov 15, 2011

I'm so happy because from the messages I have read here, I have learned that Tania or WL is not a good publishing company.They also wrote me and asked me to send my manuscript. However, I have sent them three of my beautiful poems before I discovered that they are not good. I have also contacted Dorrance Publishing company for the publishing of my book.I don't know if they are real and honest. Is anyone here who know whether this company is honest and not a scam like others?
    Please if you know any good publishing company or writer agency, let me know.
    Thank you all for your messages here.
    Yours,
    T.M.Pelekeh
    [protected]@yahoo.ca
    Cameroon

• Pa
      Dec 20, 2011

I am about to produce my second novel with Strategic and so far so good. In the new brutal world of publishing they have not to date let me down. The first novel Final Diagnosis is in wide release in many countries and feedback to date is good. Today, unless one has a big advance from a publisher and are prepared to back you, much of the work has to be done by author and publishing house together.
    As Strategic offer JV contracts you are in a sense partners and the "quid pro quo ' rule applies. Have a good relationship with them and they will have a good relationship with you.
    I met the team recently on their leg of their world promotional tour and found them to be delightful people.

Paul v Walters

[protected]@gmail.com
    www.paulvwalters.com

Jan 01, 2012

Being in England I'm limited in what I can do with promoting my book. But I will say that Strategic has done me proud and my book is now out there. That's all I wanted and I feel that they did what they said they would do. If it sells all well and good but if it does not sell . So what!! Iv done it and I'm highly proud of myself. Thank you Ann