Smithsonian Magazine / Unwanted subscription

1 GA, United States Review updated:

One day I received a survey by the Smithsonian. Included was a box for requesting free issue of Smithsonian Magazine. I filled out the survey but declined the free issue as I was not interested in the magazine. To my surprise I received a free issue anyway. Now they are claiming I ordered a subscription and are demanding I pay! This is the 6th letter I have gotten and I am very disappointed in the bait and switch scam they are running. I filled out a survey. That is all. I did not want the magazine!

Lo

Comments

• Va
      11th of Dec, 2007
    Smithsonian Magazine - I received one or two copies of Smithsonian magazine, then a bill
    Smithsonian Magazine

I received one or two copies of Smithsonian magazine, then a bill. The problem is that i did not subscribe to the magazine. I don't even like the magazine. I paid the postage to answer one notice, but it was not acknowledged. Now i get a notice threatening to turn over the $12 bill to an outside collection agency. Someone please help me. Tell me what to do.

• Mi
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I think something is up with the smithsonian. I recently recieved a check in the mail for $2900 dollars. no letter, no nothing to let me know of why i am recieving this money. it came in a manila envelope, ups next day air. the bank on the check is legitamate and the company is tied to the account so thats real, but i dont know if i should cash it or not. i have heard of scams, and i want to know where it came from. anyone in the same boat, email me.

• Lo
      4th of Feb, 2009

I received the free issue and ordered a subscription - paid - and never received another issue.