SmartSavings.com / Scam and rip off!

1 Omaha, NE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-316-8774

SMARTSAVINGS.COM reinstated unauthorized charges to my bank account of $1 a month one year after I had effectively canceled it. My bank USAA states they can not stop the automated deductions so this company will continue to charge me. I plan to close my account and cancel all credit cards if I am unsuccessful at getting SMARTSAVINGS to stop what they are doing.

Va

More SmartSavings.com Complaints & Reviews

Comments

5th of Jun, 2008

In March and April, 2008 I was charged $9.00 each month for a membership I did not ask for and did not receive a membership number for. I asked for a refund and did not receive it.

On May 10, I was charged $50.77 for videos I had earlier purchased from Smart Savings.com which had been delayed way over a month. I immediately returned them unopened returned for refund. No response. I phoned this company and was told a refund would be issued. It is now June 6 and no refund has been forthcoming.

I am elderly, live on Social Security and this is a hardship on me.

Today when I tried to call them, I was told to give my membership number but of course I was never given one so I was disconnected by their operator.

I wonder how long this company can get by with this and not feel the pressure of the fraud division of our government. Apparently forever!

• Be
      20th of Jun, 2008

I had a illness in my family. I tried to call smart shoppers to cancell this account as i am not going to be able to keep this account .When I called them they kept saying that I had to go to the internet as they were not open at this time. I tried to go on line and found that I was unable to even access this place. I kept re-trying and I finally found this page;. I think I have been scamed. Please do something to stop these people . I cannot keep this account. Please let me know what to do in order to get out of this mess. You can reach me at 616 248-9273 or send an email to toastnbutter@comcast.net thank you!
    Bettie Joplin

• Te
      4th of Sep, 2008

I also have order a will fit and have been charged for it and shipping date keeps changing. Cant seem to get a answer. This company doesnt mind taking my money

• Th
      14th of Nov, 2008

Some how or other I got roped into this organization, I believe when I purchased a video on line.Now i have just noticed, I am being charged a $19.95/mo. bank withdrawl for which I receive no goods or merchendise.Well good luck in collecting that fee from now on, Smart-### savings, I'm ending your scam tomorrow!!!

• Na
      16th of Nov, 2008

I was charged $30.00 for something that I never even asked for. What gives you the right to take money out of my account without my authorization? I want my refund of $30.00 back into my account immediately and I do not want to hear any stories that the refund is on its way and I do not receive it. I want it placed back into my account. Who do you think you are playing with peoples money? If this is not taken care of immediately i will take further action that I am NOT afraid to take.

• Sl
      5th of Feb, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - Charge my account after I cancelled membership
    Maryland

Continue to charge my account after I cancelled over the phone and was given a " confirmation" number. Phone connection was absolutely terrible and could not understand the person I was talking to.

5th of Feb, 2009

I was billed $29.95 for an account with smartsavings.com which I never signed up for to begin with! Then the next month I was charged $1 and that went into my overdraft account of which I was charged $20 by my bank! I tried and tried last month to contact these people and never could get through to them. An automated answering system would come on and tell me I was #4 in line then it would tell me I was #8 in line! I never could speak with anyone! However, I was lucky enough to get a "live" person today. They are going to see about crediting my account the $1, but as for the freaking $20...I guess I am screwed! They are a scam and I told him of all the people on the internet complaining about them. Beware!
    Cheryl

• Jb
      12th of Feb, 2009

I was charged $29.95 for something I never order or received and do not know why I was charged by this company. I think they are ripping people off from what I can read. They should be stopped.

• Ke
      28th of Feb, 2009

I also went online to order a book priced at $14 unknowingly in the left hand column was some bogus advertising that signed me up for a 29.95 membership that I only discovered when I saw it on my bank statement. I called and immediately cancelled my membership and am being charged a$1 monthly fee? I think we all collectively need to expose this outfit to have legal action taken to stop this extortion.

12th of Mar, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - beware scam
    Hudsonville
    Michigan

Watch out, THIS COMPANY IS A ROBBER AND A SCAM. After hours on the phone I am still not sure if I will recover around $65.00! They claim I am a member and charged me $29.95 the last two months plus numerous $1 fees! Plus I now have added to the list HMS.com. Also have smaller charges for DJMLIFESTYLFIT.com, I think they are all in this together. Supposedly I have two cancellation numbers for the membership but I had to get very "firm" before they would do it!! Now, onto DJM and also BOTTOM11 or some such scam company! I also cancelled my card!! Good Luck!

• Li
      12th of Mar, 2009

I ordered books from discountbooksale.com. It turned out to be the same as smartsavings.com and hotmoviesale.com, etc. Anyway, after cancelling the membership right away, 20 days later, another charge came in on my credit card. Worst of all, the initial membership charge is from outside US. so my credit card is also charged with 3% foreign currency processing fee. None of thee websites indicate that any of them is originated from outside the united states.

Stay away from all these web sites.

• Vb
      11th of Jun, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - Unauthorized chargse
    Hot Movies Sale.com
    Florida

I ordered a DVD through Hot Movies Sale.com, which is owned by SmartSavings.com. I finally received notification of my DVD being shipped. In addition to the charge and shipping fee, I was charged an "Internationl Service Fee" of 3% of the order, or $.90. In addition, I was charged $19.95 for a membership that I did not even know about!! Another $.60 charge for "Interenational Service Fee" was deducted from my debit card.

I called the toll free number (supposedly in Florida) and spoke to a person. She explained the membership, and that I had a free trial for 3 days, but of course today, the free trial was over, and the $19.95 would not be refunded. I asked about the International Service Fee and she said that was not charged by their company because their corporate office was in Florida. I asked the person (who had an accent) where the company was located, but she refused to say, other than Florida.

I was frustrated and asked to speak to a supervisor. After waiting, she said the supervisor was helping someone else, and I said I would wait. The person did offer the refund the $19.95, and gave me a cancellation number, but I doubt if I will ever see that money again. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET RIPED OFF. I TOLD HER IT WAS AN INTERNET SCAM! COMPANIES LIKE THAT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OPERATE.

• Lu
      19th of Jun, 2009

sounds like what is happening to me right now...
    i also ordered a movie from that website...they said my total would be $6.45 including the $5.00 discount and the 2.99 shipping. That was 3 days ago...yesterday I received and email confirmation saying the item was out of stock and that it would be shipped as soon as it became available...I checked my credit card account and saw that I had been charged 19.95 from that same website but i really don't know why...I guess I will have to cancel my credit card because I suppose they won't give me that money back and they will try to keep charging...

• Wi
      27th of Jun, 2009
    SmartSavings.com - Overcharges
    SmartSavings

I ordered Judge Judy DVD for $ 12.95 last November 2008. It took a while to received
    the item so I have forgotten about the order. When I got my bill from Amex in Dec. 2008, I noticed a charged of $ 29.95 + $ 1.00 for processing fee. What I did not realize
    was I have signed for a membership with the company till March of 2009. I called the
    company & questioned the charges because by now they have charged me for a DVD for a total of $157.75 (according to Amex). Amex investigated the overcharges & they informed me that the charges are legit since I signed the terms of agreement with the
    said Company.
    Besides the membership fee, they were charging me every 2 weeks another $2.00 for
    processing fees in total of $31.95/month for 4 months.
    I called SmartSavings & I spoke to their Supervisor & called them bunch of crooks.