[Resolved] Silv Communications / Posing as AT&T and offering lower rates for local and long distance service

San Ramon, CA, United States Review updated:

Silv Communication posed as AT&T stating they will lower your bill fo local and long distance calling. I admit it, I fell for the scam and did a phone recording of me agreeing to some terms. I just don't know how they got my information and how AT&T allowed them to charge this on my phone bill.

I talked to Silv Communication (USBI shows up on my bill) and they pretty much know that they scammed you and the operator also knows about the complaints. They just offered to cancell my subscription immediately without any refunds of previous bills.

I called AT&T and they also know about USBI, but they said there's nothing they can do about it. I have to settle this with Silv Communication (or USBI) myself. I can't even file a complaint about Silv Communication through AT&T (even though they admit it's one of their partners). The operator knows that I pretty much have been scammed and can't really do anything about it. She did advise me to check back on a later date to see if Silv Communication (USBI) really did cancel my service since it was still showing up in AT&T's system.

What can I do? I've been scammed and AT&T knows, USBI knows, Silv Communication knows. Any ideas?

• Resolution statement

Silv Communication Inc. customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the client have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and it's services are concerned.

Comments

• Ns
      12th of Dec, 2008

I just had a similar experience, "Att Rep" called and asked if they can credit the account. I was taken off guard b/c the real att was suppose to give me credit for over charging me. After reading this post, i called Att right afterward trying to confirm the conversation but they were not aware of the credit/price reduction. I asked them not to make any changes to my account. So I guess Ill have to wait and see...cant believe i fell for this Bu*(*&*&6 dammit!

• Ne
      27th of Jan, 2009

I experienced the same thing wtih SILV posing as AT&T! AT&T attempted to return the charges to USBI but the following month the charges showed up again as AT&T does not have control over USBI billing. AT&T advised me this is common and that to stop these people we all need to file "slamming complaints" with the DCC. Mail your complaint to

Consumer Affairs
    Attn: Slamming Complaints
    505 Van Ness Ave.
    San Francisco, CA 94102

(You will need to include all names, description of what happened and copies of your bills).

Here is my letter to them...

Attn: Consumer Affairs / Slamming Complaints

To Whom It May Concern,
    I have a complaint to file against SILV Communication & USBI. SILV Communication switched my long distance carrier from AT&T under FALSE PRETENCES. Here are the facts supporting my complaint:

1. I have been an AT&T business and residential customer for several years and would not allow a change to my long distance carrier.

2. I received a phone call from SILV Communication CLAIMING THEY WERE AT&T. This is an illegal representation as they were posing as a company they are not. They indicated they were contacting me for a review of my current plan in order to save me money. I specifically asked if they were AT&T and the answer was “yes, this is AT&T”.

3. When I received my 12/17/08 billing statement from AT&T the amount due was exorbenent. I also then noticed a new charge from USBI who handles the 3rd party billing for SILV Communication.

4. On 01/07/09 I contacted USBI and they indicated that I approved the switch of my long distance carrier from AT&T. I advised them that was not the case as whomever contacted me posed as AT&T. USBI transferred me to SILV Communication where the customer service was extremely rude and unwilling to reverse the charges. The manager whom I spoke with, Laura Rivas, even advised me that she was going to make a note on the account to not allow anyone to credit my account. I cancelled the service with SILV Communication (Confo # DS010709L911).

5. On the same day, 01/07/09, I also contacted AT&T and they re-established my long distance service with them. AT&T advised me that they would try to send the charges back to SILV Communication but there was no guarantee that SILV would not bill me direct.

6. On 01/27/09 I received my January 17th billing statement from AT&T and the December charge from USBI / SILV Communication was still reflecting on the bill. I contacted SILV Communication and they indicated that the charge was still my responsibility. Therefore I am making this official complaint.

Please help me to rectify this situation and reverse the $37.34 fee applied by USBI / SILV Communication. I have attached my December & January billing statements. My contact information is below. Thank you for your assistance and response to this matter.

• Hf
      29th of May, 2009

I filed a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission of Texas describing the same thing. I received a letter today from them siding with Silv Communications. They said I did agree to change my LD service, which I did not! I also told them I repeatedly asked them if they were from AT&T and the answer was yes, the number on my caller ID was unkown. I wasted my time with the PUC ( they must be getting kick backs), I have sent a letter of complaint to the BBB and will follow up with the . Maybe they can get something done.

• Cy
      8th of Sep, 2009

They are crooks!! Luckily I caught it after one bill. They wouldn't give me the charges back and neither could AT&T but at least I canceled with them.

• Ei
      15th of Mar, 2010

I was "scammed" by them too. My ATT Rep said I should file a formal complaint with the FCC. She said to Google FCC complaints and the form would come right up. She says that they are not allowed to block them unless the consumer specifically calls and asks for a "third party block" so other companies can not bill on their bill. She says she has to deal with what these companies do an a daily basis but there is not much they can do because they have so many customers, and what those companies do by offering services is not illegal. What is illegal is that they say they are ATT. So they need as many people as possible to complain to the FCC to get these companies shut down, and hopefully their tactics illegal. I filled them out for both companies on my bill.

20th of Oct, 2011

This company is owned/operated by a foreigner in Bangladesh. According to the domain name registry for silvcom.net:

The Rush Host
    Shamim Ahmed ([protected]@hotmail.com)
    A-10, Shamoli Housing (2nd Project), Mohammadpur
    Dhaka
    null, 1207
    BD
    Tel. +880.189467433

This may not help much since this person may only be a tech person.