Seattle Coffee Direct / Misrepresentation and illegal business practices!

United States Review updated:
We have also been suckered by Seattle Direct Coffee. The initial offer of $9 for two bags of coffee and a grinder is a complete misrepresentation. Nowhere in the ad is it stated that there is a $25 shipping and handling fee. Since March 23, our credit card has been charged once for $34 and three additional charges of $36.95--four months worth of coffee in 1 1/2 months. To date, two shipments of mediocre coffee have arrived. After reading the other postings, I was amazed to have a person from the company return my call. She has agreed to cancel the membership (believe it when I see it) and claims that we should be receiving an order shipped on April 17 soon. Of course, its the fault of USPS that we have not received the shipment, not their failure to ship it.

My credit card company says they cannot block charges from this company but since there have been at least three charges, they will cancel the card and reissue with a new number. We are also disputing the charges.

A  4th of Sep, 2007 by
What can I do? I just got suckered in two days ago?
Please give advice.
N  10th of Sep, 2007 by
A  23rd of Sep, 2007 by
I just checked my credit card billing statement and was in shock at the amount charged to me. What is my recourse? I was hoodwinked in by an introductory offer and wasn't informed as to how much it would be , ultimately.... I am ticked off!!!!
A  9th of Oct, 2007 by
I'm just going to add what I put on another one of these complaints:

As soon as they said that my card had been declined I knew something was up. I called and did actually get someone, but she would only tell me that my card had been declined on their end, and that the bank statement saying that $35 was charged to them was obviously false.

Then when I saw all of these similar complaints, I knew I was pretty much screwed. So I filed a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) . I encourage other people to do so as well, so that these jerks can be shut down and possibly be brought to justice. I also plan to change my card number to prevent future charges, and bug the crap out of the people on their 888-217-CAFE number.

Also, someone said that a "VP" of the company, Eric Flippo, can be found at
710 Heatherdown Way
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

Feel free to bug the crap out of him.
A  2nd of Nov, 2007 by
I was also fraudulently charged by the Seattle Coffee Direct.com.
Instead of advertised $9.00, my credit card was charged twice. First time $34.00 and in a week - another charge
for 38.95. I've never given my permission to make such

I am 76 years old retiree. I've never in my life met such an insolent swindling!
A  14th of Nov, 2007 by

I was charged $34 on 11/5/07 and $38.95 on 11/13/07. I called and the first person took of the 2nd fee, I asked to speak with a manager and she was not willing to help any further her name is Rita (ID# 3005), so I asked to speak with her supervisor and her name is Rebecca (ID# 3015) and she is a director. The company claims, since they put you owe $25 in the terms and conditions that they don't owe you a refund, I told her that when I put my CC # in I was never shown that my CC was charged more than $9. She finally ended up refunding all of my money.

Only thing that I think would prove to be extremely difficult would be to get any refunds if you were charged NSF fees by your bank.

I plan on seeing what I can do to get this shut down. I ended up signing up for the coffee b/c I don't have any money for Christmas and I was under the assumption that if I signed up for a few small priced offers I could receive a target gift card for $500. This is not the only place I was charged additional money after already trying to cancel memberships. I can't afford this and I can't believe I was stupid/desperate enough to caught in this scam!
A  2nd of Feb, 2008 by
I just became another scammed coffee buyer--34.00$ for the 9.00$ coffee grinder and coffee sammpler and a week later a 48.00$ charge on my debit card for 2 more bags of the same kind of coffee. Nowhere did I sign/or see an agreement to enter into a monthly coffee club nor did I give them permission to use my debit card. I am so angry. Spoke to my bank and have to cancel my debit card and get a new one issued!!! AGHHH
A  9th of Feb, 2008 by
Yeah...I'm another sucker. I'm asking my bank not to honor future charges from Seattle Coffee Direct. The charges are unauthorized - as we all know - and their web site doesn't offer any way to stop the shipments or charges. In fact, the only changes you can make to your "account" are the password and the types of coffee sent. If anyone needs my help in shutting them down, I'll do whatever I can. If my efforts fail, I'm contacting the attorney general... which I may do anyway.
A  10th of Mar, 2008 by
I received the initial order for two bags of Guatemalan and Costa Rican coffee beans in early January which was charged to my credit card on Jan.7. Despite my call to stop further shipments I received three more shipments every other week which were also charged to my credit card on Jan. 14, 21 and 28, respectively. After I send them back to get refunds promised, I've never received credit for refund on my credit card. This is a sheer fraudelent business act.
A  2nd of Jul, 2008 by
I had never heard of Seattle Coffee Direct, never seen an ad for their company on the internet, in short, I have never in the past had any contact with this company in any way whatsoever. You can imagine my surprise and dismay when I checked my online bank statement today and discovered a 6/30/08 charge of $25.00 from this company. Their phone number was included on the information given in my bank statement, and I called it and spoke for a while to a gentleman named Mark. I asked him how it was possible for this charge to have occurred, as I've never ordered anything from them. He said that two bags of coffee and four mugs had been ordered, by engyprasory@comcast.net--a false email address--and addressed, strangely, to me.

Someone ordered coffee from Seattle Coffee Direct. They used my Bank Card number. And they were having it shipped to me? Who benefits from that? And why in the name of god would someone who had my bank card number order something--from a company apparently known far and wide as some kind of "fine print" scam--and have it shipped to ME?

I'm not suggesting that Seattle Coffee Direct was directly responsible for this grossly illegal transaction, but they do seem to be the only ones to benefit by it--except for my bank's Fraud department, who are going to have a hell of a good time fielding all the complaints they've been receiving regarding this particular company (including mine), and the future cell-mate of whoever actually made the purchase, who is getting desperately lonely
A  13th of Jul, 2008 by
No where on there site do they list what the charges are and that you become a member of a coffee club. I too responded to a survey to received 2 travel mugs and 2 small samples of coffee. Within 2 weeks I have received 2 additional shipments of the same coffee (I haven't even opened the original to try) and my debit card has been charged $48. each time including the inital offer. I am contacting my bank first thing in the morning and since I work for an attorney... we'll see what happens.
N  30th of Oct, 2008 by
I am very sorry for any troubles you may have had with our company, Seattle Coffee Direct. Be assured that at Seattle Coffee Direct our goal is 100% customer satisfaction. Please call to speak to a customer service representative at 888-217-CAFE so that we may swiftly rectify this situation. By providing us with some basic information, such as your name and zip code, we can look up your account to clear up any problems. If you are unsatisfied in any way, we will reasonably provide refunds, return shipping information and anything else that will make your experience with our company more satisfactory. For further clarification, please see our details and terms at https://www.seattlecoffeedirect.com/TC2.php.

Jeff Berman