Santander / everything

United States Review updated:

This company is horrible. We originally had our car loan through drive finical, in april 09 we filed bankruptcy (I know not our finest moment) and at that time (when I went to make a payment online) I also learned that drive finical was bought out by santander, I also learned that because we filed bankruptcy that we could no longer log into our online account and we would no longer receive a payment coupon (still haven't figured that one out.
During the bankruptcy process there is a form that both the car loan company, ourselves, and our attorney signs that says we still want the car. Every time my attorney would send this form off to santander we would get no response from them, our attorney sent a total of 5 and none were answered.
One saturday in august I was packing up to head out of state to see my grandma, who was in the hospital and not doing well, when their was a knock at the door from a repo man... What? Of course santander was closed already so I couldn't talk to them, I talked the repo man into letting me keep my car till I could talk to this company, I had never been late, so I couldn't understand why they were taking my car. Finally on monday morning I was able to speak with a supervisor and she informed me that we never signed a form with our bankruptcy that said we wanted to keep the car... Really are you kidding me? My attorney sent it 5 times santander never signed it. She told me to have my attorney send it again (and let me tell you in all the times he sent it out it cost us an extra 100 per time so here we are up to 600) and that I would need to western union them 500 to let them know that I was serious. Done call my attorney, find the closest western union company... Everything was done that day!
Well, that following thursday night here is another repo man knocking at our door, this time the car is already hooked up. I try to call and of course they are closed. To make this long story short they made an mistake that cost us more money to drive almost 2 hours to pick up our car.
Now here we are in feb 2010 and it just happened again this morning. At 6am we had the repo man knocking on our door to see if we wanted to get the car seats out. And of course santander doesn't open till 8 my husband works at 12 where we have to pick up the car is 2 hours away and I need it tomorrow to travel out of state for work.
This company has been nothing but a headache. It is time to change companies.

Comments

• Ba
      5th of Feb, 2010

I'm with Santandar and I am sorry to hear, I found out a few weeks ago on my credit report, that it shows that I have not paid a car payment since June 2009 but I have been making car payments on time. I did call Santandar, to correct the problem and they told me, that they could not fix the problem. So, I wouldn't be surprise if there is a knock on my door on day, I have my payments that I make every month, but they are screwing me on my credit report. It looks like I got my car repo.

• Tu
      25th of Feb, 2010

I have had nothing but problems with this bank. They are really bad. I have had an account with them since 1992. In 1993, we went to live in Australia. I kept the account open and in credit since then. In 2009, I moved back to UK for a short time. I applied for a credit card and was turned down because of a lack of credit history. Eventually, after many letters, e-mails and phone calls, they reluctantly agreed to give me a card with a limit of Stg 250. I was so insulted by this that I went to the local branch to close the account. I was persuaded to keep it open, but I had already opened an account with Nat West which also came with a credit card with a much higher limit. Recently, I have moved back to Australia, but the Friday before I left, I went to the local branch (Finchley, London N3) and asked them to change my address to my Australian address. I spent 2 hours in the branch, but eventually they managed to process a change of address for me. After I got back to Australia, I was quite surprised not to receive any mail. I knew I owed something on my credit card, but could not remember how much. In late February, I received a statement dated 7th December. I owed stg 61.48. I immediately called up Santander and found out that my outstanding amount was stg 87.51 which I paid. When I studied the statement, I found that the address had "BFPO" in front of the postal code. I also found that the mail had been forwarded on to me by the British High Commission in Canberra. For some unknown reason, the people processing the address change had assumed that I was in the UK military or British Forces Posted Overseas. In the meantime, late payment charges of stg 24.00 had been applied, together with some interest. I have had that reversed, but was told that I can only amend my address by going to a branch. There are no branches of Santander in Australia. So I am stuck. The easiest thing to do is to close the account. I have just sent a letter to them requesting them to do that. I only wish now that I had done that before.

Another issue with this bank relates to ATM access from abroad. In November, I found out whilst in Singapore that I had to inform the bank whenever I was going abroad before I can access my account via foreign ATMs. So before I left for Australia, I told Santander that I was going away. I informed them that I would be in Taiwan and Australia. They asked me how long I was going to be away. As I had just told them of my permanent change of address, I thought this was a dumb question. I was told that I would have to call the bank every 3 months to tell them I was still outside UK even though my address in their system showed a foreign address. Yesterday, I called them to tell them I was still away. They asked me which countries I would be visiting. I am actually visiting Taiwan again and will likely be in Hong Kong at some point, with a visit to Singapore very probable. Santander's system could not cope with more than 3 countries so I had to drop Hong Kong. This last issue caused me to reach breaking point. I am sure I will not have these issues with Nat West. My request to them for an address change was successfully completed.

• Sp
      17th of Jun, 2010

people just need to understand that with any sort of agreement there is a contract, it is clear that people today think its too much to read before signing i have read all the complaints and i could bet my bottom dollar that all what you guys are going through is listed on the contract ...after all no business is here to make a loss, it is up to you to try your best to keep up to the arrangements made on the contract and do your part regardless of your situation ...

• Kd
      19th of Jul, 2010

In re to Sparkle

...have you ever dealt with this company? They will make agreements with you over the phone stating that if you pay a certain amount, you will be taken out of repossession status. And then, when you go to pay that amount, they state that it is not enough and you must pay more. If this company were ethical and had decent business practices, then the BBB would not have suspended their accreditation, nor would there be hundreds of thousands of complaints about them OVER and OVER again. Sure, people do sign contracts. And yes, some do not follow through. Some people come across hard times. It's life. But to threaten (within legal bounds), mislead, and harass are not ethical business practices. And when an individual did not choose the company in the first place. It is that much worse.

I can only surmise that you are employed by this company and a party to the deceptive practices it employs. Why don't you do your homework and read the litany of complaints before you spout your "business... contract" hypocritical and judgmental nonsense.

We have to deal with these people, and let me just say that we refuse to speak with them on the phone any more after having been lied to or misled numerous times over the past two months. We had our car loan for nearly five years, always paying on time. The loan was sold before we fell behind. And that was due to my husband being laid off along with an unforeseen mountain of medical and other bills. We are good people who fully intend to pay our debts, and Santander preys on this along with our ignorance about the process (because we have never been through it before). So don't lecture me about the contracts we signed. Life happens.

• Sd
      18th of Aug, 2010

I fell behiond in January. they told me to make parital payments which did, not good enough, sometimes they call 9 times a day on my cell phone and 4 times in day to work. I then started making full payment, one payment of $300 went to interest, next $300 onl;y $35 went to principal. My balance of 10663, starting 1/1/10 has onl;y gone down $35. They might as weel come and get it, nothing I do satisfies them Really bad company. Did not originally go thru

25th of Aug, 2010

As an expat living in Indonesia I was surprised to see that my old Abbey National was taken over by Santander-I needed to transfer some funds to my account here in Indonesia during a period of 'between jobs' to cover general expenses. What was a straightforward process with Abbey, 'fax' passport and signed request has become 'impossible' for me with Santander. First attempt-call centre guy calls to say 'further verification documents' are needed. Two forms of id with address on them. Second attempt-forms +passport page is sent as verification. Another guy calls-it's not enough! They need me to send/fax an actual bank statement with my address on it. So here I am, several weeks down the line-waiting for a bank statement to be mailed to me at my Indonesian address-so that it can be faxed back to them and the transfer can proceed. Jokers...

• Be
      16th of Sep, 2010
    Santander - Stoll Money
    Georgia

We paid off our auto loan when we traded our vehicle for another. Called Citi auto and made sure no more auto draft, account closed and an actual credit was there for over payment. Out of no where there is an auto draft from Santander after our account was closed. This is how we found out they now had our loan. They have been less then helpful. Might get money back in 35 to 45 days by mail, it's our fault for not calling them too. We didn't know they exsisted, why should we call them if we took care of things on our end with Citi. They can't credit the account since it's now "closed" but they can debt it just fine. The best suggestion by a supervisor was to file a dispute of charges with our bank. Sure, now we not only are out the money, our bank will look down on us for a dispute claim, they don't look to see who's fault it is. Santander now has stollen our money and it's our fault, we should make our bank give it back to us, seriously. Their customer service is horrible, and their reps will either lie or do not know how to do their job, or it could just be both. I'm questioning not only the Santandergroup but now Citi who sold their auto loans to them.

• Ju
      18th of Dec, 2010

Such a bad company..the FEDs need to look into this scam of a company!

• Al
      8th of Apr, 2011
    Santander - This company needs a dictionary to look up
    Santander Consumer USA

First, my original loan was NOT with this company. I had autopay with CitiFinancial--the company I did use to finance my vehicle--and so was somewhat surprised when I received an email informing me that Santander had taken a payment in the amount of my monthly loan payment from my checking account. I was surprised because I had no clue my account had been sold. I did a little research and found that CitiFinancial was no longer servicing their customers. I was angry at the lack of communication from either company involved, but didn't make a formal complaint because the latter company was taking only the amount of my normal loan payments. I deeply regret being so complacent now.

I recently refinanced my car through my credit union at a much lower rate. I took all the steps I was told to take by Santander's customer service rep, up to and including making an online request and fax request that the autopay deductions stop as Santander no longer had a lien on my vehicle. Unfortunately, and now I see after reading this complaint board, unsurprisingly, they still took the full amount of my payment 22 days after they received the check from my credit union. I tried my very best to be businesslike and non-combative. This got my NOWHERE. Upon calling and describing the problem to another CSR, I was asked to fax a printout of my bank statement to them. I did so immediately. I was told the problem would be resolved in 72 hours. I waited 7 working days before calling back after I still had not received the returned funds. That was when I was told that the second CSR I'd spoken to had made a mistake; according to the THIRD CSR, it took 72 hours for the accounting department to receive and review the request for a return of the funds they had no right to--but it could take up to 45 days for them to actually return them.

I'm sorry. WHAT?!?! Can I start charging you interest and penalties, Santander, as you most certainly would do if I were 45 days late on a payment?

I'm a pretty easygoing person in most cases. I'm a middle school teacher; patience is a required virtue. However, after repeatedly speaking to yet more CSRs, I have reached the limit of patience and good Southern upbringing. I've explained ad nauseum that I need to make a car payment to the company that actually does currently hold my loan and have received nothing but sarcasm, snark, and discourteous language from the legion of CSRs I've had the pleasure (sarcasm and snark of my own) of dealing with.

I highly suggest the people who write the phone script for these people remove the "How may I offer you excellent service" spiel from their greeting before someone injures themselves laughing at the incongruity of this statement and the actuality of dealing with Santander.

Also, and just to add a bit more insanity to the situation, my most recent CSR pal told me that if I filed a complaint it would reset the magic 45 day countdown to getting my money.

Rock. Me. Hard Place.

• Al
      8th of Apr, 2011

Best of luck, dear. I faxed them the bank statement when they requested it for the same reason you're citing. It accomplished very little--aside from causing me a great deal of irritation.

18th of Apr, 2011
    Santander - payments
    santander
    Houston
    Texas

Got a Nissan Sentra, make my payments on time, should be paid by 11/2011, santander took over my account, now my payments end on 11/2012, payments still $457 a month, have had problems every month, they reject my bank statements, saying its not proof of payment, have now been reported twice to the credit companies, no help from the "Customer Service", made online payments thinking the problems would stop, had been making payments from western union, got late fees charged, tried mail, they said they arrived late, there feels like nothing I can do to get this over and done with, according to them I still owe almost $9000, the car is worth less than $5000 now, appears to be never ending with these people, and of course no one knows what is going on over there!!!

• Pa
      19th of Apr, 2011

He's also on other message boards as JohnSmith...posting the exact same paragraph...

15th of Oct, 2011
    Santander - vilolations
    santander usa

this company is currently under investigation for so many violations that its not even funny. they are being investigated and cited by the state of md for repossessing cars with one payment left. if we hold on i am sure they will be history before we know it, they treat their customers bad because they are tryign to assist in rebuilding credit and they somehow think they have the upper hand but when they are all out of a job we will see who has the last laugh!

• Gu
      1st of Dec, 2011
    Santander - Worse than useless
    Santander

Their incompetence has cost me money as I have incurred late payment charges as a result. Santander have refused to compensate me for these late payment charges I received. Do not open an account with this bank as they are rubbish!

• Vi
      24th of Feb, 2012
    Santander - inaccurate interest charges
    Springfield
    Georgia

Consistently charging too much interest, when they are notified they sometimes correct it, then do it again and again. They take the loan amount, (say $12, 000.00) figure the interest on the loan (say it brings it to $14, 500.00) then they charge you 14% on that amount until it is paid off-They are charging interest twice! (the amounts are for show only-not actual amounts) They are the most corrupt company I have ever done business with -they bought Road Loans which is where our loan was first. It has been nothing but a huge headache trying to stay on top of them. I need to know where to file a formal complaint!!

• Nu
      8th of Jun, 2012
    Santander - Their incompetence has cost me money
    Santander

I recently changed my bank to Santander. I changed because my other bank were too fond of making exorbitant charges for me slightly exceeding my overdraft limit – and not on a regular basis either! As we all know the charges the banks make for exceeding overdraft limits are out of all proportion to what it actually costs the banks to administer. I was promised by Santander that they would take care of all my existing direct debits set up on my old account. I was very surprised and upset to find that they had not set up all the direct debit payments as they promised.

• My
      27th of Jul, 2012
    Santander - collecting after paid in full
    Santander (consumer loan)
    Wilmington
    Delaware

Sovereign Bank (straightforward, good) became part of Santander. My Sovereign loan is paid in full, I have documents from Santander saying paid in full, but they still try to collect monthly. The 800 number cannot look up payoff information (many tried for me). The branch was cut off from the old computer system without being given access to the new, so they can only call the 800 number. There is no effective way to contact anyone about anything - not only that, but payments are split into interest and principle before being posted, and the 800# CSRs do not have to help you if you cannot give the amount of your last payment (and of course, your total payment does not equal either of the partials that they post). Only one positive aspect - CSRs 800 and branch are all really nice and want to help, but their set-up prevents that.

• Fo
      17th of Aug, 2012
    Santander - I paid off my car loan back in February and still today they have not released the lein they have on my title to my car
    Santander

I paid off my car loan back in February and still today they have not released the lein they have on my title to my car. They are saying today August 16, 2012 that I have to now pay to have it released?

I paid my debt in full I think that it’s there responsibility to provide me with the documentation showing the title has been released.

• Th
      18th of Aug, 2012

Listen approach this with a big stick. All your communications should be recorded and mails should be CMRRR. Write them and demand the release with x days. cc that letter to your state AG, FTC, DMV and the police for fraud. If it's not in your conract that you have to pay to get the title released cleanly dthen don't pay. and back up or back down. if all fails sue them yourself you don't need a lawyer. go to debto boards dot com and post your questions - plenty of people there who sue without lawyers.

• Ju
      19th of Oct, 2012
    Santander - OMG
    Maryland

I originally had my loan with HSBC Auto, I have the original loans papers and then I received a letter that Santander was taken over, I have had nightmare after nightmare. My loan with HSBC auto states that my loan will be paid off November 21, 2012. Here it is October 19, 2012 and Santander states I owe the loan $12, 000.00 more dollars. I have requested over 10 times that I want the documents and statements of all these charges, they reply they will mail out to me. I have never got them. I have asked over and over I want an itemize statement of all charges, to this day I have not received any documents. They stated to me that I extended my loan with HSBC before they bought the loan. AGAIN I said where is the documents, nothing... I have not extended any loans, I DO NOT OWE $12, 000.00 more dollars, they repo my truck.!!! Really... So I try to get my truck back, paid 1, 500.00 to santander for the repo, plus $435.00 was added on to the loan for repo fees, plus had to pay towing $235 at the tow yard, they wouldn't give me my truck, then the tow company charged me $235.00 plus I had a jacket in my truck, so they charged me $75.00 more for personal belonging storage. Is there anything we can do? Is there a lawsuit we can join and stop this madness? PLEASE, We the people are begging for some answers and justice.

• Th
      25th of Oct, 2012

Holy cow! Always use CMRRR.

CMRRR your payments history to these scammers and tell them to reconcile their books. If you have to talk on the phone record all your calls.

I think you better contact an attorney.

• Sh
      29th of Jan, 2013
    Santander - Loan Payment
    NA
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Phone: 702-688-9298

Loan amount differs each month after same payment do not understand how they calculate figures.
    Payments not applied, different story each time I speak to a representative. had them send me full payment
    details of all payments Interest information never correct.

• Ki
      10th of Mar, 2013

Hi. I am having a similar problem. I am trying to pay this loan off early but every single payment that I send, they put 50% of the amount over the amount of my regular payment towards interest. When I call them about this, they tell me that they will not reapply past payments and that I must not be sending them something telling them what to do with the overpayment. so Now I am taking pictures of all communications and checks that I send them. I am filing a BBB complain today in the hopes that the numerous class action suits will have prompted them to better serve their customers and their needs. However, I am not too hopeful.

• Ro
      16th of Apr, 2013
    Santander - Payment rip off
    Santander

In 2012 car loan purchased by Santander. Company failed to send notice and payment coupon to us. Every month coupons are late being sent to us or none are sent. Jwhen contacted, the representative told us we should pay online . The fee is way too high. Told rep I pay most bills on line and companies make no charge. Also rep claims Santander has a contractor that sends out payment coupons. So they have no control over when payments are sent. They try to get bank acct number an want to do automatic deductions. Do not believe company is reputable.

• To
      13th of Aug, 2015

Paid my line of credit early in cash at the branch. without notice they now notify me that I am behind and owe $101.03
    How is this possible?