Rockland International / Beware of this seemingly lucrative job opportunity!

I would just like to reaffirm what many others have stated via Complaints Board (regarding ALL Cydcor affiliates, and in particular: Rockland International of Troy, Michigan). Beware of this seemingly lucrative job opportunity. The entire company is based upon brain-washing a variety of individuals into falsely believing that Rockland really is, essentially, their best bet in today's corporate world.

When I was temporarily employed with this bogus company, I was under the impression that I would be working with others within my peer group. I am a college graduate from an accredited university; approximately 7-8 other individuals within a large group of 25 employees actually held college degrees.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for those that find college to be the wrong path for themselves; I think that everyone makes the world go 'round, and without hard-working individuals, (with or without a college degree), positively contributing to the economy, America would not flourish.

At the time of my hire, I was genuinely in search of a career that would require me to utilize my university-acquired skills. And, Andy, (the company's "President"), falsely led me to believe that working for Rockland really was a legitimate opportunity for a Bachelor's graduate.

Now, let me get into the logistics behind the set-up of such an elaborate scam as Rockland International (and all Cydcor affiliates). Rockland is, essentially, a Pyramid Scheme. While I was working for them, we were to "pound the pavement," so to speak, and solicit businesses into switching over their phone lines to our designated mother company. The techniques we were repeatedly taught in a cult-like atmosphere every morning revolved around building a sense of closeness with your victim, yet taking the initiative to go ahead with a switch-over when a customer seemed confused. If you could clearly add value to their current phone plan without them taking notice, you were encouraged to deceitfully do so in order to profit. These slight adjustments may seem trivial from an outsider's perspective, yet many companies are getting SCREWED by entrusting a Rockland scammer with their phone bill.

The entire notion of switching over one's phone service is so ridiculous; and, we were taught to leave the premise as soon as possible upon viewing the company's bill if absolutely nothing could be added (read: another phone line, upgraded DSL, any other addition that we could pull outta our a**es in order to increase their current phone billing statement), reiterating how non-customer orientated this company really is. Rockland thrives on promoting a service that really has little or no purpose, with employees that are falsely motivated on a daily-basis to work (and DRIVE) aimlessly for straight-commission and no gas mileage compensation, while Andy and Yvonne profit off of merely recruiting/interviewing unsuspecting and/or desperate individuals.

The most ridiculous part of my entire stint with Rockland International was actually participating in a few of the daily meetings that took place in that cult-like office down Stephenson Highway. Every morning, either Andy or Yvonne (his blonde counter-part) would give a pathetically conducted "motivational speech". I honestly snicker to myself everytime I tell friends/family about the things they would say to us. For example, one morning Andy attempted to motivate us by sharing his life story. Andy's life story? I don't care about the fact that you used to work in a cubicle, and probably graduated with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average from whatever institution you really attended. Your life story isn't inspirational. You have not defeated barriers in order to achieve ultimate success. You are the so-called "President" of ROCKLAND (FREAKING') INTERNATIONAL: an affiliate of Cydcor. A company known to many as a complete scam. You run a Pyramid Scam. You are a recruiter, you are not a president. You promote services to unsuspecting clients. You are, by no means, a true business man.

With that said, please DO NOT pursue a job with Rockland International. You will only end up compromising your morals, putting hundreds of miles on your car, and gaining little to no experience valid in today's TRUE business world. Don't compromise your true worth; luckily, I am now working for a large corporation of which I don't feel comfortable mentioning, and making a salaried income with benefits and a 401k. In a few years, I'd love to go back and get that MBA - mostly so I can tromp all over companies like Rockland International. They've been ripping you off for years, businesses: be aware!

Va

More Rockland International Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ke
      2nd of Jan, 2007

I am scheduled for an interview with Rockland in Troy this morning. I decided to do some research on the company and discovered your article. Very interesting. But are you an employee that just didn't make it, or are you an intelligent individual that realized a bad situation and opted out. I would like to speak to you.

Email me, we could exchange phone numbers, if you agree.
    KP

• Ca
      12th of Feb, 2007

I thank you for bringing this to light. To many of the pyramid companies are popping up across the country to bring in the dull and naive.

The website that Rockland International uses is as well, quite pitiful for a 'International' corporation.

They use a generic template from fiercepages.com to create and host this website that dives about as deep as an inch into what they actually do for their customers.

Great post up here. Sorry to see that you fell into their scheme.

2nd of Apr, 2007

I had a interveiw at Rockland International and it is a [censored]ing Joke that is not marketing in any way that is soliciting, There is no purpose for that comany it is a scam they what you to drive your car all over Detroit and for what, If a business wants to change phone companys they will call the phone company and change, I did not go to collage to sell [censored] and that Andy is full of [censored] he is NOT a professional he is a joke I hope more people read this so they don't get scamed by him or that company

5th of Apr, 2007

Rockland International should be shut down!!!

15th of Apr, 2007

I am the author of the aforementioned stint with Rockland International. It has been almost a year since I experienced such bull ### while employed by such a bogus organization; but, I am glad to see that my article is still reaching those that need to vent about a similar experience. Get out while you can! Everything I detailed about Rockland International is absolutely true. Do not believe a single thing Andy says. He's not a true businessman. He's profiting off of your naivety.

• Li
      24th of May, 2007

Everything the author said about this company is 100%, I worked for Rockland International last August until about late October before my grandmother passed. Rockland International is full of [censored], do not be fooled. They'll make you think the harder you work, the richer you'll be soon. Bull[censored]! All I got out of that experience was a bad conscience, great pimp/conman skills, my expensive designer dress shoes ruined from all the damn walking, a lot of gas and lunch bills, a bad back, and about three months of stress after I left. They never paid me on time and when they did, they took a hell of a lot of taxes, then after I quit, the money they owed me back, they took for ever to pay, sending it bit by bit instead of just in one check like they are supposed to.

I almost thought of taking them to court, but I just said forget it and moved on. Andy Breuninger was pissed that I left because I was one of the people that were making him and "Yvonne" richer because I was super determined. I went on their stupid little business road trips, where they would get about six of us together, have us sleeping in the most low rate hotels on earth, and we had to pay for our own food and gas still. They lie to you and tell you, that you will be recompensated during tax time, DON'T BELIEVE THAT [censored]!!!

Working their is "hustling backwards" because you will accumulate more bills and stress than the money that you make. They will try to con you into staying by "Promoting" you and letting you be apart of their so-called little "morning meetings" (the meetings that beginners don't get to attend). The benefits are not benefits because you are paying for your own benefits out of your own pocket. The training is complete ###, the expect you to watch others that have been working there for three days and then go out on your own so he can quickly rack in profit. They'll just tell, go ahead fall on your face a little bit "It's happened to everybody, your ambitious right? You're dedicated? You said you were!" That's how they get you, with your conscience they try to press you with guilt-trips and they you go out there and get belittled from past victims that want to express their anger on an unsuspecting new hiree. You have to either be naive or have a strong self-esteem to deal with that. If you self-esteem is high, you will find it dwindling after you've been degraded so many times while your morals disappear.

They tell you that the lowest amount of money a person makes is "$500", yeah probably "$500" in about 3 months. If you work there, you will start noticing people that you met on your first days, you won't be seeing them, you'll see people come and go. Andy doesn't care as long as he can get you to work for a day, he doesn't care if you leave because he'll con someone else into replacing you. I don't see how he can sleep at night doing this. The only people that Andy misses are the ones that were racking in the most profits, that had that natural likable character and charisma about themselves that appealed to the victims.

The people are cool and the atmosphere is nice because that's a part of them making you want to stay, to be able to come to Andy's nice little office in Troy, MI everyday just to receive a pat on the back. Everytime I signed somebody up, I felt more and more depressed because the people were actually good folks, and I felt like I took advantage of them. Some of the folks would give you free food, free haircuts, free drinks, and all types of things just because you conned them. If there if anyone out there who is reading this that has been scammed by this company. I would like to apologize because I was blinded and I was a part of the problem and I wish I could go back to every person I signed up and explain the lie I was being told.

They blinded me into actually believing that I was helping these people by taking advantage of them. The whole job experience at "Rockland International" has made me bitter. The only thing good that came out of it was meeting new people and nice looking females. Other than that, was it worth it, NO! 99% of the people that work for Rockland wanted to quit their first day, they are just not strong enough to admit it. Anyone (including the author) that would like touch this subject can feel free to e-mail me, even Rockland if you are reading this.

P.S.

I probably know the person that wrote this article, I'm curious to find out lol :-)

• La
      4th of Jun, 2007

Thank you for posting your story for others (like myself) to view! I have an interview scheduled with Rockland Inc. today at 12:15... (one of those 15 min. interviews) and decided to do some last minute research on the company and look online for [redacted]s. Well, I found it. I had an eerie feeling about this company from the moment I received the phone call saying that "I had been selected!" from this annoying ditzy voice over the phone. I accepted the interview because I was put on the spot and even know who they were. I mean, I just graduated college and I am trying my hardest to get out into the corporate world... but I'm not THAT desperate. Long story short, I just called and canceled my interview.

Thanks again for saving me time, gas, and miles on my car. I hope you are doing well in your new career!

Lauren E. Brackel

• Js
      6th of Jun, 2007

Aww... NO PROBLEM, Lauren! I am so glad that this post has helped others avoid the same mistake I made as a recent college graduate. Yeah, keep your head up and don't lose hope in your job search. Although it may seem as though you've been searching for a while, enjoy the time off, and genuinely make your current job (sans a job) LOOKING FOR A JOB! Get your resume out there, and keep your head up! Something wonderful is bound to come along! And you mind as well avoid crappy situations that will just take up your precious time (i.e. like Rockland International) so you can utilize your days looking for that perfect career move. Good luck! :)

• Pr
      29th of Jun, 2007

I have to be neutral because I haven't given them the "chance", and I probably won't. I just applied to their company 3.5 hours ago, it's 8:30 am now, and in the email response I got from them it stated, "I had the opportunity to review the resume that you submitted to us, and after sitting down with the hiring managers we feel you would be an ideal candidate for this position."

Wow!! Such an early meeting they had, and it involved me, a complete internet stranger. That kinda started my questioning of the company. Secondly, their website is terribly designed. If they are that successful, wouldn't they put more money into having a decent website?

Unless this company pays regularly, on time, and responds to these kinds of complaints (which is a sign they are hiding something), I don't suggest this company to anyone. Again, I haven't tried them, so this is all based on 4 hour instinct.

Thanks to all for taking the time to share their experiences.

24th of Jul, 2007

Thanks people,

Received a call from Rockland Inc. this morning. Just came online to checkout their site. What a joke! No information on what they are scamming. Needless to say I won't be calling them back.

I had a similar experiences with 2 companies 4D marketing & associates and BOSS Advertising. Same old pavement pounding shoe wearing out jobs. I can't believe the scams out there. Everyone of those companies I could have created and made more successful with ethics. But I will not pound the pavement for peanuts.

• Kr
      26th of Jul, 2007

I just received a call today to set up an interview tomorrow with Rockland. I was so excited because they were very interested in meeting with me after seeing my resume. I came online to see the company's website and all I found so far was this message board. I just went to a bs interview yesterday for universal electric too. Thanks to all of you I won't have to do that twice.

P.S. watch out for universal electric. They promise you money for working hard and having a positive attitude.

31st of Jul, 2007

Hi All--

Glad that my initial post is (still) consistently generating discussion. I am the author of the original post, and I am glad that many of you have decided to stray from being taking advantage of by this terrible (and faux) company. I wish you all the best in your future job hunts! With that said, keep up the posting, everyone, really appreciate it! Down with Rockland ;)!

6th of Aug, 2007

Do you people have seriously nothing to do all day but sit around and talk about a company that you didn't want to work at? Wow, it goes to show how I'm sure most of you all unemployed. The "author" of the first "complaint" wouldn't even put their name in! Hmmm... I wonder why that is? Maybe because he/she is WRONG! Maybe he/she really only worked there for a day or two and just decided that it was to much work for them. I used to work there about two and a half months ago and I enjoyed my time spent there. I quit because I found a different opportunity. I had jut graduated from college and had no experience. I worked for Rockland about 2 months. I gained a lot of experience that helped build my resume so I could get a job that I love like I have now. I liked everyone I worked with and made money. Yea it was hard work, but what isn't? It just burns me to see a company giving people a chance when they have nothing and seeing stupid people say all this crap because they have nothing better to do with their life. GO GET A JOB! Obviously they have to be doing something right if they keep opening offices and are still in business! Thats just like people who say they don't want to do door to door, maybe its not for you, but it must be working for some one if there are people every where that are doing it. The point of this message isn't to rip on anyone, but to show you how much of a big waste of time you people are spending riping on a company that some of you know nothing about. GROW UP! There will be things that you like and things you don't, so what! Thats life! Welcome to the real world.

11th of Aug, 2007

Ah. I'm glad this site is generating both sides of the discussion. It's nice to see the 'Pros/Cons' - Hm, although I do have a job, I still have free time (considering I work 8am-6pm) during the week to do things via the internet. Posting something on this site literally takes me less than 10 minutes. So, no need to jump to conclusions: I'm sure that those that post here have jobs. And, if not, GOOD LUCK in your searches! I know how tough it can be, but settling for a sham company like Rockland isn't your best bet. Unless you want to be taken advantage of. And, to the aforementioned individual, I am glad that you "gained a lot of experience that helped build [your] resume" -- more power to you! I just couldn't compromise my morals in such a way to utilize what they (tried) to teach me at Rockland in order to get a better job. Hence, I didn't even mention my BS experience on my resume. I just enjoy the fact that I get to tell people how humorous the entire stint was! It makes for good comedy. Cheers:)

• Je
      12th of Aug, 2007

If you are a recent college graduate do not waste your time. I'm going into my second year of college so I have only seen the beginning of my courses in the business world. I had just bought a new car so I needed a decent paying job, Rockland tells you the average new comer makes $650 per week but most make 4 figures per week. I went to my 2nd interview and realized how all they did was scam people, so i googled rockland international pros/cons and this came up. I stayed there 2 days thinking maybe just the beginning was like this, but no this is what everyone in the company does. Do not get me wrong all the employees were nice as could be and I almost feel bad that they are still there. If this job isn't good enough for a second year Community College student, then for you guys and girls with a degree, you can wipe your ### with there job offer.

Jerry Sinclair.

1st of Sep, 2007

I have read all of your comments, and to my personal opinion rockland is not a scam as others company out there. I started working few weeks ago i hit promotion within my 5 days, got my $200 bonus, and also got my first pay check, which was exactly what i thought i was going to be. I really don't understand what is the issue? if you don't want to drive and offer people a "solution" then sales is not a job for you I have friends in the mortgage industry and yes! I'm talking about quicken loan which is worst in my personal opinion than rockland because in quicken loan you have a time to get in but you don't know what time you get out. What does this mean? It mean that you could work 12-14 hrs and they don't care as long as you make a sale then you get paid commission. If not do your search I'm not totally defending rockland but a job is a job. Jobs are hard to find in Michigan especially in "corporate american" and Yes! I'm a graduated student. and is hard for me i do drive a lot but hey that why you got a car right? and about the reinvestment i spend over 10k for my tuition and the state didn't gave me all of it back and according to the state i could only claim 4k for my tuition!!! Then is michigan state an scam to? Think about it if you got more question email me and we could talk...

• Do
      13th of Sep, 2007

hi all
    i worked for rockland for one month and i will tell you what i think
    1- it is a pyramid scam, after my first interview i was scheduled for a full day with one of the managers. everything that day didnt make sense to me. first the manager was a 24 yr old who has been in the business for a month and was promoted in 5 days. now can anyone tell me if this makes sense at all... promoted in 5 days. anyway, she didnt have a car so i used mine and paid for the gas
    2- every morning you go to work to hear loud music and practice pitching with others at the office. not to mention the games. i used to feel like a 10 yr old being fooled around
    3- ofcourse then comes andy with his lecture about this great opportunity .
    4- you go out fooling people. the short story they teach you is ###... all lies!!!! and ppl believe you.. i had one old man telling me that someone from my office told him that he will lower his phone bill by giving him internet, the guy doesnt even know how to use the computer and is stock with the service and is paying alot more!!! is that ethical.. how can a big corporate like AT&T allows that to happen!!! do they only care about the bottom line( profit) only????????

when i left after a month i had an extra 5000 miles on my car !!

• Sb
      19th of Oct, 2007

Thank you for your comments regarding Rockland International. I am currently employed at one of the top 100 companies in the world, however; because of the hours I work, I am always looking for new opportunities. Rockland called me and I agreed to an interview for the next day. I decided to do some research on the company and came across several websites documenting complaint after complaint.

I would just like to say thanks to these websites, I will not have to waste my time listening to some bogus pitch early in the morning after working a 10hr midnight shift!

20th of Oct, 2007

Rockland is a bogus company because I have seen this type of bull ### before where you think its great but you find out through internet that its not. I got interview and instead of wasting my time again I looked the company out. I am so happy I did, thanks internet

13th of Nov, 2007

Seems like love and hate all around.

There was a newspaper article in July 07 (Knoxville, TN: Daily Times)
    Winstead Marketing I think. Go search for it. Pretty good article for all the cydcor affiliated offices.
    Sure Sure, every office is different. I've heard the argument.
    I strongly believe that people are not happy with the company because their hiring practices. They don't advertise what they do. Apparently Univ. of TN kicked them out of their job posting and student resume database and warns the students about them? Now, that's a big WOW.
    I have nothing against Rockland and I worked there. Andy is just doing his thing, just like he was told to. He wants to be rich, just like anybody else. Sure, Morals can be questioned but so can Rockafeller's or Ford's for that matter.
    If you work there and are happy, good for you. I hope you become THE NEXT. Sessions, Rucks, Park, Lear or any others who made it to the top. Just remember all those owners that decided to go other way: P.H., I.F., A.D., M.C.,J.R., I.C., etc. Most likely, they decided to leave because not because they couldn't do the sales part but quite frankly, they couldn't lie to get people thru the door anymore.

When you do get to the top, just make sure to remember what the others are feeling when they get duped into an 2nd interview. For people who are looking for a job, being interviewed for something they don't want to do, i.e. door to door sales, this is a big waste of time to them. And for all those people that left, it's not because they couldn't "cut" it but because they just didn't like sales and they just didn't want to sell the idea of becoming a manager. It's not because they don't get the "big picture".

Also, to those who complain. Please, look your self in the mirror before you do and ask yourself. "Did I do enough research? Did I ask the right questions? Did I demand answers from Andy?" Rather than "this company is a CULT!!!!" Explain to the people what this job really is. I really don't think you can complain about this company other than their interview tactics, and maybe their training or lack there of. (I personally think that's on AT&T's side).

So here's the my example here, and this is 100% true.
    1. I got called into an interview.
    2. My car was in the shop, so I rented ($50) and drove an hour for 10-min 1st interview. Didn't get the whole thing so I decided to accept the invitation to second interview.
    3. Second interview was all day. Saw that the leader couldn't sell anything. I mean this guy was terrible.
    4. I realized this is Sales and nothing like what they said. What the heck, I'll stick around for couple more hours and see how it goes. ( I didn't mind the sales job)
    *TO anyone not looking for sales job, ASK TO BE TAKEN BACK TO THE OFFICE AND TO YOUR CAR. It is not the job for you. Stop wasting time. YOU ARE COMPLETELY FREE TO DO SO!!! If they don't want to, ask if you can goto the bathroom and call the office. If no avail, CALL 911.
    5. Lunch Time break down. -He was new or something. You can tell he was hiding something.
    6. Guy rolls a donut. LOL... Sorry man..
    7. Andy's final interview
    Andy "So how was your day"
    Me "Good."
    A "Did **** explain everything to you, about the opportunity?"
    M "Yes."
    Whole thing about the opportunity again, spare you from the extra lines/
    A "So do you have any questions?"
    M "Performance based means I work on Commision right? I don't get paid unless I make a sale"
    Andy turned blue here.
    A "Yes, but there is a paid training" - I feel this is a sham since because you need to make $500 to see that $200 training bonus.
    M "**** should've made that clear to me. I don't mind sales, I've done it before. Is he hiding anything more?"
    Whole talk of the management training program to make sure the "LEADER" didn't miss or hide anything from Andy.

And I took the job. Of course he leaves to talk to the "Leader" but hell, he probably didin't. He probably gave the customary thumbs up to him and spoke to couple of other people.
    Comes back in, shakes my hand, when can you start? can you start tomorrow? blah blah blaah.

I stayed for 6 months. Got really tired. Burned out. Couldn't "hack" it anymore. I have no problem telling anybody that BTW. It does get to ya when you do it 6 month straight, no vacation, resting on just weekend which I smartly spent partying until 3am.
    Just when I was really tired, I walked into a small HR company. As I was signing them up (I gave them unlimited, less comission, I have morals ;-) ), they did their sales pitch on me, skipped a day (I did go in the morning), went to an interview, got the job.

So that's my experience. From my story, you can probably see that this is sales and it is pounding pavement. seeing 100 customers daily and getting chased out from 50%, being cited for tickets twice, this job is not for everyone. So be prepared.

And for those who are still pounding the pavement. I admire you. You are doing what I couldn't do.
    I know if you are good, you probably get offered a job 2~3 times a week, if not day. Seriously consider it. Because they like you for who you are, unlike owners who just see CASH!!
    Remember the opportunity meeting. Promoting owner does get paid for the offices they promote!!

Good luck.