ReUnion.com / School reunion website

I used an online reunion service this morning and was disappointed by their business practices. You sign up for either a 1 or 3 year service agreement and pay with a credit card. What they don't tell you is that if you click on any additional links on their search page - you are charged additional money. I feel that this is a very deceptive practice and opinions about these type of services would benefit the public in making informed decisions. The name of the company is reunion.com

A  11th of Apr, 2007 by
I have been led to believe I could obtain a full email address from this reunion.com after I pay the 3 year fee of $120. I am an insurance investigator and am well versed in databases. I thought I had found a good one. Instead, Earl advises me the "people finder" database is a separate company and the extra fees are not his concern. Earl advises my $120 is a fare price to tell me more information is available for an additional charge.

There are many rip off companies like this on the web. I was also led to believe my card would be charged $3 a month instead of the full $120. The "agreement" that says the fee is non-refundable has a window field of 3-4 lines and fails the legal contract prerequisites.

Thank goodness for American Express.

reunion.com complaint
reunion.com investigation
reunion.com fails
reunion.com sucks
A  26th of Apr, 2008 by
I agree this Reunion.com is a rip off. It blows me away that solicitors like this Reunion.com are allowed to continue. These type of rip off websites need to be monitored and removed after a certain amount of consumer complaints. It's very obvious that this site is overdue for removal and should possibly be sued.
N  21st of Jul, 2008 by
I too agree that reunion.com is a scam and a rip off. Beware people. I searched for my dad who I had lost contact with and when I entered his name he came up. It said he had a profile and an e-mail address so I wrote him an e-mail. I went to send it and it said I had to become a premium member and pay in order to send my e-mail. Like an idiot I paid 36 dollars and my e-mail was sent. I later entered my sister's name in the search and her name came up as having a membership and e-mail with reunion.com. I asked her and she said she had never been to the site. My dad didn't really have a profile or e-mail with reunion.com. They gather information on everybody and make it look like they are a member. Then they actually charged me to send an e-mail to a phony address. I don't know how they are getting away with this. They are playing with people's real emotions.
N  12th of Sep, 2008 by
To Keith Farmer... Same thing happened to me. Only difference is I chose the one year membership because the ad stated it was only $5/month. Never did it state that I would be charged $5/month for all twelve months ALL AT ONCE! I got charged $60. I called that same day, and they said they wouldn't issue a full refund - they could only give me a partial refund. They charged me for only one month, rather than the entire year, and would process a refund for the rest. They also said it would take 7-10 usiness days for it to be credited back to my account. This was on Aug 31, 2008; it is now Sept. 12th, 2008. Not counting Aug. 31st, and not counting the weekends, it has been EXACTLY 10 business days. I called them up again, just now, and of course, no resolve. They want me to contact my credit card company and speak with them; if they say they haven't received their request, then I have to call reunion.com back and THEN they'll submit it manually on Monday. So now I have to wait until MONDAY... I need my money back NOW.
N  14th of Sep, 2008 by
Yeah, I just tried signing up for this piece of crap site today and after spending 10 minutes trying to get them to accept my one and only email address, I gave up. An hour later I came back and tried again. This time they accepted me but immediately wanted my credit card.

Obviously they are not a very reputable site. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for any reason whatsoever.

Also they wanted to send an invitation to everyone in my email list to join their site. That means they are basically a spyware organization.

If they imported my email list they are in for a big surprise.
A  22nd of Oct, 2008 by
I too could not get in touch with customer service, no one answers the phone. They tell you there are 15 people ahead of you but that is a lie. They sent me an ad that said someone was looking for me and that it was $5 a month. I have been looking for a relative so I thought it might be them. When I signed up they charged my credit card for the whole year and the person was looking for someone with a similar name. I immeidately emailed back right then and there and requested they cancel my subscription immediately. It was only a half an hour from the time I signed on til I requested a refund. I have received no response and had to contact my credit card company to notify them that I want a rebate. This webside should not be allowed to do business because it is not honest and misleads people.
A  1st of Nov, 2008 by
do NOT use reunion.com. it is a bunch of crap. when you search for someone it sends them notification that you r looking for them. it sends them your email address! what if you were just curious as to if someone was registered, or what someone might look like ...whatever. i was just "playing" on this thing...looking up old acquaintances, old loves, etc...MOST of who i did NOT want to reconnect with...just looking/playing. well, i found out today that EVERYONE that you type in gets this "bait" email from them (reunion.com)...telling them that you (your name), are looking for them OR that you are asking them to add you on as a friend...this sucks! i deleted my reunion.com membership, and also closed my email acct. just cuz i don't want to deal with what might come...emails that i was NOT sending, or requesting...BAD COMPANY, DO NO USE THEM!
N  18th of Nov, 2008 by
You can't even delete your account without calling customer service.

Want to delete your account?
Important: Below are some things you should know before deleting your account
Your account cannot be restored once it has been deleted. All of the mailbox data, profile information, photos, etc. will be removed forever.
Account deletion will be effective immediately.
For subscribed members there are no refunds for the remaining time in your subscription plan. You may subscribe with Reunion.com again at any time; however, we cannot guarantee that you will receive the same rate.
To continue deleting your account, please call this toll-free number: 1-888-704-1900
A  27th of Nov, 2008 by
What we want to know is: How in heck did reunion.com get all this VERY PRIVATE INFORMATION about people, and what right do they have to publish it on a worldwide public venue like that?! They publish names & locations of you, and your known friends & relatives, without you even knowing about it. This should be ILLEGAL!

All those who are upset about this, contact reunion.com and DEMAND THAT THEY REMOVE YOUR PRIVATE INFO. Might not be a bad idea to contact the State Attorney General as well, and make a loud complaint! The reunion.com outfit should be SHUT DOWN. At least it should be a case of OPT IN if you DO want to participate, but those who don't want to be included should NOT have to OPT OUT! We should never have had our info included in the first place.
N  28th of Dec, 2008 by
i found this site and thought 'wow! this is a good way to contact people for our 40th reunion'. unfortunately most of the pages won't load and the system is VERRRRRY SLOW! i have no way of contacting them about their poor data base system because i keep receiving load erros. i'll try again tomorrow. i did not see any services charges for this site, however, i will be sure to look at for this based on the info i found here.
N  20th of Jan, 2009 by
I first have to say that I did not have an issue with the amount that I was billed as I agreed to it and sent the card information as it was acceptable to me. I looked on my bank account and I was charged a $1 fee twice... I know that $1 is not much but I do not like being charged twice.

I called 1-888-704-1900 and got an operator at reunion.com where I asked about the charge and the woman said that the charge would be credited back to the account. I then asked for her to remove my credit card information off her computer and she tried to cancel the whole account...

I asked again and she put me on hold... she said that the credit card information could not be removed until the time was up on my subscription. I told her plainly "I am asking you to remove my credit card information off your database"... I was put on hold again...

She returned to say that the credit card information is not used if I cancel my subscription. I said "I agree to the charge of the subscription and you have already taken out the amount for the subscription. I am asking you to delete my credit card information. I need my credit card information taken off your database. I was charged twice already so I am aware that you have the information on the system... I need it removed." minutes later she stated that the credit card information was removed from her database and the subscription will not be renewed.

I will wait for proof in about a year.

I am frustrated that the operator, which is assumed to be talking to her supervisor, is telling people that the credit card information can not be removed but yet after many statements where I requested the information be removed, it is finally acceptable to remove it.

My trust or lack there of is something that I will have to note when or if I get another charge on my credit card... or if I do.

Why is it so hard to do what is asked the first time? I can only imagine that this is an ongoing battle... to bad, I didn't find the person I was looking for.
A  21st of Jan, 2009 by
deactvate my subscriptionnow 1-21-009 chang your card no.# that what i dide .i ask reunion to delete my subscription one mouth ago i will see what i can do about a lawsute
A  8th of Feb, 2009 by
I won't be surprised if the government is involved in this (I hope not). Or else why with all THOUSANDS of complaints filed against them they are still in business?
TO CEO: What a ### business to build your wealth on others private lives. To me no matter how richer you get you will be always the poorest. Poor of ethics, self respect and success. I am very positive that within yourself, you have very very low self-esteem.
You are by all means not less than any terrorist out there if not equal or worse. To me and a lot others, CEO you are eating off a dumpster.

To all respected others who might read this comment sorry for using the word (###). Take care.
A  7th of Apr, 2009 by
Here's what I find astounding about this company. I did some research on this company after they made their infamous unauthorized charge to my account. It didn't take long to find complaints dating back as far as 2005. So after 4 years and tons of complaints, their solution is to CHANGE THEIR NAME AND *NOT* CHANGE THEIR POLICY?!?!? Why? So they can hide behind a new name and keep ripping off people???